Old 17th July 2002, 00:37   #1
LetsSurf

Send a message via AIM to LetsSurf
Multipule Soundcards ?? :rolleyes:

Now this might sound a stupid question but I have done some searching on the forum, and can't find the answer.

Where is the multi soundcard support that is in version 2. Now I did wait sometime thinking that I couldn't find the option because it's a Beta. but now where RC1 I'm still wondering.

I'm afraid this a feature I can't live with out. and if it's not there, I'm gonna just have to stick with v2.
Old 17th July 2002, 03:40   #2
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

WHY would you need multiple sound cards?

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Old 17th July 2002, 09:40   #3
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Right click winamp-> Windows -> Configurification Registry -> DirectSound Output panel -> Device. Change that number to change which device. Yes, it's crude. I hope it's made a bit more user-friendly before release.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 17th July 2002, 09:48   #4
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Peter has just assured me that the later versions of his directsound/wave out plugins do actually have a decent way of selecting the device, but they weren't included in build 482 because, I quote "CHRISTOPHE IS A LAZY BITCH".

Look out for Peter's wa3plugz update coming soon, which will have the new ones in .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
Old 17th July 2002, 10:57   #5
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Install this, and the sound output selection will appear in preferences:
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/zips/wa3plugz_482.exe

Old 17th July 2002, 11:22   #6
LetsSurf

Wow thanks RussGarrett you've been a BIG help

Not many programs support multi soundcards.

And for the silly boy Ice the reason for multi sound cards is. My computer has onboard sound not very good sound, I connect them to small speakers to hear my system beeps etc. My good sound card SBLive!5.1 is connected to my very BIG speakers and amp. Now if I had that as my default soundcard I would hear lots of very loud bings and beep when listening to music, soooo my small speakers are my crap soundcard are default for windows and my big speakers and secondary for the lovly winamp that supports multi soundcards (thanks guys)

Thanks again RussGarrett
Old 22nd July 2002, 08:51   #7
zvsmedia

There are actually some pretty cool uses for multiple sound devices for musicians. There is a very small user commmunity using a keystroke emulator preset with the Tascam US-428 + 224 (www.tascam.com) which are USB audio devices. They have control surfaces, which means they have buttons for things like rewind, fast forward, stop, etc., and even a data wheel that works very well for scrolling back and forth through a song. The buttons send MIDI messages, and the keystroke emulator converts them to keystrokes rto run Winamp. It's VERY cool for learning songs with Winamp.

I just loaded up RC2 - looks like we'll have to remap a few things.
Old 22nd November 2002, 18:55   #8
ClintJCL2

multi-room

Don't forget multi-room ... What if someone wanted multiple soundcards for multiple rooms in their house. You could have soothing music in your bedroom for sleeping, and energetic music in your kitchen for breakfast. There are tons of uses.

Anytime you ask "WHY would someone need this" you are generally being unimaginative. Sort of like Bill Gates saying "why would anyone ever need more than 640K of ram?"

Or people saying "Why would you need more than 100G of harddrive space?" (I have 480G and am constnatly having space emergencies..)

Or my favorite, from the 80s, "why does anyone need faster than a 2400bps modem? you can't READ any faster than that."

-Clio
AMD Athlon 900mHz, 256M RAM, 280GB, Win2K, SB Live Platinum 5.1, ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32M DDR.
Old 22nd November 2002, 18:56   #9
ClintJCL2

BTW, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything.

I'm just saying it's not a productive use of a forum to say "WHY do you need that". (Disclaimer: My messages are not productive either. )

-Clio
AMD Athlon 900mHz, 256M RAM, 280GB, Win2K, SB Live Platinum 5.1, ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32M DDR.
Old 22nd November 2002, 19:01   #10
peter
ist death

uh, why would you complain about lack of features which got implemented months ago ? are you having some sort of ancient-thread-revive-fest or what ?
Old 23rd November 2002, 02:29   #11
LetsSurf

As the tread stater I asked this question some loooong time ago when winamp 3 didnt fully support multipule sound cards because it was in it's beta.

I would like to ask why on earth has this been brought from the deepest depths of the archived forum ?

Some one please lock this thread it was sorted months ago.
Old 23rd November 2002, 07:22   #12
peter
ist death

yes, i know how old this thread is, ClintJCL2 has been going nuts with reviving very old threads recently, my reply was meant to him.
locking.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion