Old 19th November 2003, 17:56   #1
Starbucks
Forum King

Honda vehicles have best resale values in the U.S.

Full Story

Quote:
Santa Barbara, California - Automotive Lease Guide, a private company that forecasts automotive residual values, has announced its annual Residual Value Awards. The awards honour those vehicles in each segment predicted to retain the highest percentage of their original price. This year's awards are based on 2004 model year vehicles. For the second year, ALG has also added awards for the brand with the highest predicted resale value of all industry and luxury vehicles. The awards are arrived at after careful study of segment competition, historical vehicle performance and industry trends.

Heading the list this year is American Honda Motor Company, Inc. with the Honda Brand winning the Industry Brand Residual Value Award. Honda also received four individual segment awards: the Accord for the Midsize Car Segment; the Odyssey for the Minivan Segment; the CR-V for the Compact SUV Segment; and the Pilot for the CUV Segment. Both the Honda Odyssey and CR-V are repeat winners from last year.
Comments?
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 18:46   #2
Cheezychops
Major Dude

No big surprise there. Hondas are reliable, look decent, and have good gas milage. Plus, (even though Honda is a forign name) Hondas are more american than most American name cars (as in parts being made in america and assembly).
Cheezychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 21:53   #3
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
I agree with cheezy. I just got a 1990 Honda accord, with about 122k miles, it costed about $2500.
They are very relayable, and they do have an OK look to them (like look amazing compred to that new saturn...).
They are also affordable new, so that helps out.
laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 22:02   #4
horse-fly
Account Closed

uh.... so?
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 22:23   #5
Shenlong
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Shenlong Send a message via Yahoo to Shenlong
Uhh...WTF is with this "reliable" issue? Any car can be "reliable", so as long as you take care of it (I.E. Change oil when needed, have regular check-up matinence, don't abuse it by dogging your engine, burning your clutch up, etc.)...What makes taking car of a Honda so special from the next car manufacturer on the market? Besides, where the manufacturing plants are built have nothing to do with the company's origin. An SVT Focus ZX3 may be made in Mexico, but it's just as American as it's European counterpart, the Focus ST170, is European. The Mitubishi Eclipse was never sold in Japan, but Mitubishi is still a Japanese car manufacturer.

As for Honda resale values, I don't care...Only Honda I would ever own is the S2000, but I can't even afford one of those...

A very close Japanese friend I knew a while ago once said to me "Watashi no koto wo oboeta, onegai shimasu...Yakusoku?"

I forgot his name though...
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 22:33   #6
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Such abject bitterness. Why?

I love Honda. The EG Civic is my favourite car - so sleek. =) Oh and that "the Cog" ad on TV is a work of genius.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 22:40   #7
horse-fly
Account Closed

Shenlong: kia is not a reliable car... 1/50 just don't work
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 22:59   #8
Shenlong
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Shenlong Send a message via Yahoo to Shenlong
Quote:
Originally posted by Horse-Fly
Shenlong: kia is not a reliable car... 1/50 just don't work
Ok, run-of-the-mill beater rental cars need not apply...

Besides, I'm OK with Honda...But it's performance I mainly look at when viewing a car manufacturer. The 1999-2000 Civic Si was a good little sport compact car, but they killed it's spirit re-releasing it with that new mini-Odessey Si that actually put out less power than the previous Si. I still like the S2000, but the NSX is utter junk. Sure, it's a nice car that places high in the ranks of Ferrari and Lamborghini, but really...It's over-priced, under-powered, 13 years old with VERY minor changes to it...A $50-grand Corvette Z06 will hand it's ass on the drag and track, dammit! The new HSC looks promising, as it's the NSX's new replacement, as it will have more power, and because it's a coupe unlike the NSX's targa top (Read: Reinforced roof, stronger chassis), it will be lighter (More power + less weight = faster) and handle better...

But as for real-life ownership, I've had some good reliability with my personal Fords as much as other people seem to have with their Hondas...If that's the such, why's there a need to change? If there were no other choices, I'd be fine with a Honda CRX or Prelude though...

[edit]Nah...I hate CRX's too... [/edit]

A very close Japanese friend I knew a while ago once said to me "Watashi no koto wo oboeta, onegai shimasu...Yakusoku?"

I forgot his name though...

Last edited by Shenlong; 20th November 2003 at 00:14.
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 00:07   #9
BMWboy

and look who got the Luxury Brand Residual Value Award. BMW of North America, LLC.

sorry, just couldn't resist that one.

actually i'm rather suprised that Acura is ranked above M-B in the luxury rankings
BMWboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 01:02   #10
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Shenlong said...
but the NSX is utter junk. Sure, it's a nice car that places high in the ranks of Ferrari and Lamborghini, but really...It's over-priced, under-powered, 13 years old with VERY minor changes to it...A $50-grand Corvette Z06 will hand it's ass on the drag and track, dammit!
I'm not that hot for Italian cars, but I don't think that the NSX deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence with Lamborghini. But for the rest of that statement... I wholeheartedly agree.

And btw. All you Honda owners... Don't call me to come drag your car out when it gets stuck in two inches of mud.

PS-
None of your Hondas are any more reliable than my Chevrolet is. That whole "Honda is more reliable than anything else" bit is pure bullshit. Your vehicle is only as reliable as you make it. Even a Ford can be reliable if it's taken care of.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 03:11   #11
laz
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to laz
BMWboy, sorry, but I just think they are overpriced and lacking of quality, BMW's. I feel its more of the name, then the accualy features or quality of it. I would almost rather have a lexus.... Or a Lamborghini

I am happy with my slow ass 13 year old honda. It is good on gas, that is all I care about.

Last edited by laz; 20th November 2003 at 03:39.
laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 06:37   #12
Starbucks
Forum King

BMW = I like Great styling, materials, power (most of the time) and is actually quite affordible. A lot of people drive bmws here in SV.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 10:03   #13
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
I'm not that hot for Italian cars, but I don't think that the NSX deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence with Lamborghini. But for the rest of that statement... I wholeheartedly agree.

And btw. All you Honda owners... Don't call me to come drag your car out when it gets stuck in two inches of mud.

PS-
None of your Hondas are any more reliable than my Chevrolet is. That whole "Honda is more reliable than anything else" bit is pure bullshit. Your vehicle is only as reliable as you make it. Even a Ford can be reliable if it's taken care of.

Total BS. I also own a Honda and that article is old. Hondas have been reliable ever since they hit the shores of America.

Comparing Crappy-o-let to Hondas are like comparing a rock to a Tank. GM cars just plain suck. I seen so many of those things break down because of some simple fault, its just ridculous. The only GM company that strives to be different is Cadillac. Because it seems that the only thing that needs to be changed every number of years is the water pump.

The only thing that is good on a Ford lot is a F-150 because that's where their market share lies. But even they fell to number 3 because of Toyota selling better........everything. About two weeks Ford lost second place by 160,000+ cars/trucks.

I hate generally all "supposedly" American cars that are made with subpar european parts and bland styling(ford focus reminds me every time). A certain GM made "Mailbu" comes to mind, which was about the only american made car that had a real serious problem when they spontaneously exploded in rear crashes because of the faulty gas tank.

Plus numbers don't lie. If you would go to the Kelly Blue Book Site and compare , you will see that its obvious.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 11:32   #14
Mr_007
Banned

All honda car in any class is best.
Mr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 16:06   #15
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Honda suppermini - Wait... ..do they even make one?
well if they do its bound to be "pwnt" or "Ownd" by the Skoda Fabia, or the VW Lupo, hell the Seat Ibiza.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2003, 19:30   #16
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
Total BS. I also own a Honda and that article is old. Hondas have been reliable ever since they hit the shores of America.

Comparing Crappy-o-let to Hondas are like comparing a rock to a Tank. GM cars just plain suck. I seen so many of those things break down because of some simple fault, its just ridculous. The only GM company that strives to be different is Cadillac. Because it seems that the only thing that needs to be changed every number of years is the water pump.

The only thing that is good on a Ford lot is a F-150 because that's where their market share lies. But even they fell to number 3 because of Toyota selling better........everything. About two weeks Ford lost second place by 160,000+ cars/trucks.

I hate generally all "supposedly" American cars that are made with subpar european parts and bland styling(ford focus reminds me every time). A certain GM made "Mailbu" comes to mind, which was about the only american made car that had a real serious problem when they spontaneously exploded in rear crashes because of the faulty gas tank.

Plus numbers don't lie. If you would go to the Kelly Blue Book Site and compare , you will see that its obvious.
What the fuck are you talking about? First of all, I never said that Hondas aren't reliable. I said that my Chevrolet is just as reliable... And you can't debate that because you've never driven or worked on my truck before. Don't tell me that something is more reliable when you can't back up your statements.

Comparing a rock to a tank, huh? Well guess what. Tanks break down, too.

So... GM cars "just plain suck" because they breakdown sometimes from simple faults? Have you ever had the micro-v belt in your car break before? No? Well, it's not because it's a Honda. The fan belt in my truck broke one time a while back, but that was only because the previous owner put a crappy brand belt in it. I replaced it with a good quality belt, and it's been fine ever since. Does a crappy brand fan belt mean that my truck isn't reliable? No. Point being, just because the belt in my truck broke once and you might not have had that happen to your Honda doens't mean that your Honda is more reliable than my truck. Shit happens, and your Honda will have its fair share in due time. Just wait until it's time to replace the CV joints in your car... You're going to love that.

So, Cadillac is better than the rest of GM simply because you only have to change the water pump ever few years? What are you smoking? First of all, Cadillac is a division, not a company. Second, the rest of General Motors is just as good as Cadillac is. I've never had to replace the water pump in my truck, even though it's not a Cadillac. My point... every vehicle, I don't care what it is, will have it's share of problems. If you take care of your vehicle, it'll be more reliable in the long run.

And I don't even feel like commenting on the rest of your drivel...
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2003, 20:04   #17
WomanOfHeart
Major Dudette

Some vehicles just have problems from the word go. I went to the Consumer Reports websites and read some of the customer satisfaction reports on many different cars, including the new Saturn Ion. A lot of people were very upset with that car!
I have to agree though, the reason most cars have reliability issues is due to poor maintanence. I've had the following cars in my life:
1978 Chevy Monza (used), 1983 Nissan Sentra (new), 1984 Nissan Stanza (used), 1993 Geo Metro (used), 1997 Geo Metro (new), and I'm now driving a 2000 Ford Focus (used). My ex started driving the Sentra after we married. He never took care of it, and he drove it into the ground. He was awarded the other Nissan after our divorce, and he killed that one, too. He is presently in the process of killing a very nice looking 1997 Dodge Intrepid. He almost never does any routine maintanence on his cars. He just gets them washed and waxed on a regular basis.
I baby my cars for the most part. I tend to be a little neglectful with the tires, but everything else is done on a regular basis! I've never had a car break down on me! Even my Focus was meticulously taken care of! It only had one previous owner, and he kept a record of maintanence which was provided with the car. My mom always told me, "Take care of your car, and it will take care of you." My mother, as always, was right.

WomanOfHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions