Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 6th March 2012, 19:12   #1
Kinmorie

Ripping CDs to FLAC - longer filenames cut off the file extension

Hi,
I'm using Winamp Pro 5.623 in WinXP. New installation using only the plugins that were included in the download.

I'm ripping CDs as FLAC files with the default file naming convention.

The track filename seems to be limited in the number of characters and after a certain point it cuts off the file extension (.flac) at the end, so that the FLAC file is unrecognizable to other applications, though the media library can import it and recognize it.

Is there a fix for this? Win filenames can be as long as 255 characters.

ETA: Never mind - I just remembered that the 255 character limit includes the path name, so when long album names (etc.) are included in folders and the limit is pushed, it ends up chopping off the extension for longer names.

Anyone have any suggestions for 'best practices' when ripping CDs? I'm trying to make a Winamp-based media centre out of my full CD collection. Thanks.
Kinmorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 20:54   #2
ujay
Forum King

I have Winamp set to rip to the folder D:/Rips, this should give you plenty of room for even the longest filenames.
I then check over the metadata thoroughly before moving to main music storage and adding to the Library.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 03:38   #3
Kinmorie

Thanks UJ,

Doing it that way knocks out "C:\Documents and Settings\Main_user\My Documents\My Music\CD Rips\" from the path, solving most of the problem, so I'll definitely make a new partition just for the FLACs.
Kinmorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
filenames, flac, pro, ripping