Old 22nd October 2012, 02:48   #1
gyakusetsu

Multi-Channel PCM over S/PDIF

Searched, didn't find anything recent about this...

I have an AVR connected to my home theater PC via HDMI connection and it works fantastically. It passes DTS and AC3 through via S/PDIF very well.

My problem is that I like to keep my computer's output in Stereo mode so that my AVR can upscale all my stereo tracks to fill my 7.1 speakers (for youtube, internet radio, etc.). This works 99% of the time, but the 1% of the time that I run in to an issue is when playing FLAC 5.1 files from DVD-Audio or the web. I am forced to go in to settings and change from 2.0 to 5.1 output (via windows 7 audio device configuration) and at that point, my AVR recognizes it as a "Multi-channel PCM" stream.

Does anyone know a way so that winamp can just dump PCM (in any channel configuration) over S/PDIF? My audio hardware can obviously handle it, so I know it is only a matter of having the software just do it.

Even if not, I only have about 5 albums in this format, so it isn't a huge problem to switch settings to listen to them, I would just prefer not to have to do this when wanting to listen to a 5.1 FLAC file on a whim.
gyakusetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
5.1, flac, pcm, s/pdif