Old 7th July 2007, 06:05   #1
Tril

AC3 encoder output plugin

I'm the writer of redocneXk, the standalone ac3 encoder for Creative soundcards.

I decided to make an ac3 encoder output plugin for winamp because someone asked me to make one. So here it is :
Download here Here's the url if it does not show up above pages.globetrotter.net/samaust/Files/out_redocneXk_v1.00.7z

It works fine on my Audigy soundcard. Untested in other systems.

The name comes from the other project. it was originally only for the kX drivers. So it's kXencoder, written reversed.

It detects the number of input channels and if you don't have enough output speakers, it mixes the channels together.

For now, the input frequency is fixed at 48kHz and there is no resampling done in the plugin.

It can use another output plugin. That might be useful if your soundcard does not support ac3 passthru but can still output a bit-perfect stream when using a kernel streaming output plugin.

The number of detected output plugins is 5. It was just easier and faster to hardcode a limit.

Here's what I thought to put in the TODO list:
Add a resampler. I need to find a free one (and not GPL because I don't intend to share the code, at least not right now)
Add the possibility to choose between 44,1 kHz and 48 kHz.
Dynamically load the output plugins and remove the limit of 5 plugins detected.
A setting to enable/disable downmixing (instead of always downmixing)
Improve 24 bit support (ac3 is always 16 bits and the code I use to convert to 16 bits is not perfect)

If there is a demand for the plugin, I will improve it. If not, it might stay like that because I don't have any use for it.
Tril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 16:53   #2
adastra

Thanks

Thank you I have just been looking for a dolby plug-in for winamp and came across your thread, downloaded, installed, impressed !!!

the ability to switch off the downmixing is a great idea as is the sampling rate

great plugin, why is it not in the main winamp site !!!

JOhn
adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 16:59   #3
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i'm still yet to think of an application for this?

what would you do with this? transcode vorbis, mp3 surround, or dts to ac3?

wouldn't all those formats be favourable anyway?(quality wise)

adastra: its not finished yet.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 21:56   #4
RejZoR

I'm constantly getting some stupid crash dialog in Vista after i installed this plugin (when i close WinAMP). Thing is also constantly crashing when changing settings and it really shouldn't be numbered as 1.0...
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 23:52   #5
Tril

I did not test it in Vista, only XP.

It's indeed not finished. There are many functionalities missing to make it useful. That's why I did not submit it.

There may be a bug in the close function and that's why it crashes when closing Winamp. I'll take a look at it.

There may also be a bug related to changing the settings but it works fine for me so it's harder to find out what's the source of the problem.

RejZoR, does the plugin correctly write its settings? It writes them in Winamp.ini in the winamp folder.

It should like something along those lines :

[redocneXk AC3 encoder]
config_encBitrate=640 kbps
config_speakers=6
config_renderer=-1
config_Device=Primary Sound Driver

Can you tell me where it crashes, more specifically. Does it crash when you press configure? Does it crash when you press OK in the configuration dialog? Before that, after that? Does it still crash if you press cancel?

I used wxWidgets to make the GUI of the config dialog.

EDIT : it's my second try at editing this post. It looks like I found a keyboard shortcut to log off the user in XP and it shut me down before I could press on Save changes.

I was writing that my plugin looks for the winamp.ini file in the same folder as winamp.exe. That's fine in XP but not in vista. In vista, winamp.ini is in %appdata%\winamp\winamp.ini because programs can't write in program files because of a security feature of Vista. There it is. My programs tries to write in program files\winamp\winamp.ini and this fails on Vista.

I'll fix this in the next version.

Last edited by Tril; 11th July 2007 at 00:33.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:19   #6
flocksoft
Major Dude

I cannot run this plugin

I get 2 error messages:

- out_redocneXk.dll: Couldn't find avutil-49.dll.
- out_redocneXk.dll: Couldn't find avcodec.dll.

maybe a path related problem (because my Windows installation is on D:, but C: is available)?

of course those files are in my Winamp plugins directory
Attached Images
File Type: png err1.png (41.1 KB, 387 views)
flocksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 15:52   #7
RejZoR

I have all my programs located in non Program Files location (on other non system partition) just because of that reason. So file write permission shouldn't be a problem.
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 17:43   #8
Tril

flocksoft, I probably wasn't clear enough about the two files. They need to be in the winamp folder (same folder as winamp.exe) not the plugins folder.
Old 11th July 2007, 19:50   #9
flocksoft
Major Dude

you're right, silly me!

my confused confusion is originated by the same level hierarchy of files in archive (I forgot what I read in the readme.txt)

thank you
flocksoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2008, 20:51   #10
crj123082

error

when i try the plugin, i get the following error:

"out_redocneXk.dll: out_redocneXk only supports an input frequency of 48kHz"

any ideas what i should do? i have a SB audigy card with the kx drivers installed...
crj123082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion