Old 7th August 2007, 16:28   #1
discoleo

Sun Releases Niagara 2

Quote:
Sun Microsystems, today announced the world's fastest commodity microprocessor, the UltraSPARC T2, as the cornerstone of its merchant portfolio of microelectronics. ... this new processor is the industry's first volume processor with eight cores and eight threads per core. Formerly known as the "Niagara 2" project, the UltraSPARC T2's world-record performance raises the bar on commodity processors while boasting the industry's highest energy efficiency per thread. With each thread capable of running its own operating system, the chip delivers a whopping 64-way system on a single chip. Sun will provide the UltraSPARC T2 processor design to the free and open source community via the GPL license.
Cool!

And I have read somewhere that it will cost less than US $1,000. That is really amazing. And they're open-sourcing it, too. [The T1 is already opensourced!]

Some further details can be found here . Really, this is an entire computer (server) on a single chip. I am sure, it will bring new impetus to the market, and a lot of hard competition and improvements in existing computer technology.

[EDIT]

Some further details:
Quote:
Unprecedented throughput and integration:
• The UltraSPARC T2 processor packs everything you need in one package: unmatched computing power, high-bandwidth networking, advanced crypto acceleration, and I/O
• The UltraSPARC T2 processor packs the most cores and threads per chip of any general-purpose processor available
• Powered by fewer than 95 W — nominal — the nextgeneration UltraSPARC T2 processor boasts the highest power efficiency available with less than 2 W per thread
• One floating-point unit (FPU) per core, with 10 times the floating-point throughput of the UltraSPARC T1 processor
• Four integrated memory controllers and 33 percent more L2 cache than the UltraSPARC T1 processor
[/EDIT]
discoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 14:02   #2
zootm
Forum King

That's really quite cool; I take it'll run anything that already targets the SPARC architecture?

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 16:16   #3
xzxzzx
Forum King

Eight threads per core?

Wha-wha-what?

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 18:36   #4
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Wow, that is unreal.

I guess neither AMD nor Intel can claim first on the 8 core proc now.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 10:32   #5
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
Eight threads per core?

Wha-wha-what?
Properly concurrent threads, rather than simulated concurrency, I believe.

Old 9th August 2007, 12:44   #6
mikm
Major Dude

Do want.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 13:36   #7
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
Properly concurrent threads, rather than simulated concurrency, I believe.
Are we talking Hyperthreading-type "concurrency", or...

I can't seem to find any more detailed information.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 10th August 2007, 08:25   #8
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
Are we talking Hyperthreading-type "concurrency", or...

I can't seem to find any more detailed information.
I believe that it's essentially like more cores but with shared processing resources between them. It is hard to find information though.

Old 10th August 2007, 13:16   #9
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
I believe that it's essentially like more cores but with shared processing resources between them. It is hard to find information though.
Interesting. So, like, hyper-Hyperthreading. Maybe.

Old 10th August 2007, 15:03   #10
zootm
Forum King

Yeah, as I say I've not been able to glean much information. I'll look into it.

Old 10th August 2007, 21:01   #11
discoleo

Quote:
Yeah, as I say I've not been able to glean much information. I'll look into it.
To quote from the specification:

Quote:
OpenSPARC T2 is a single chip multi-threaded (CMT) processor. OpenSPARC T2 contains eight SPARC physical processor cores. Each SPARC physical processor core has full hardware support for eight strands, two integer execution pipelines, one floating-point execution pipeline, and one memory pipeline. The floating-point and memory pipelines are shared by all eight strands. The eight strands are hardpartitioned into two groups of four, and the four strands within a group share a single integer pipeline. While all eight strands run simultaneously, at any given time at most two strands will be active in the physical core, and those two strands will be issuing either a pair of integer pipeline operations, an integer operation and a floating-point operation, an integer operation and a memory operation, or a floatingpoint operation and a memory operation. Strands are switched on a cycle-by-cycle basis between the available strands within the hard-partitioned group of four using a least recently issued priority scheme. When a strand encounters a long-latency event, such as a cache miss, it is marked unavailable and instructions will not be issued from that strand until the long-latency event is resolved. Execution of the remaining available strands will continue while the long-latency event of the first strand is resolved.
See on p29 (Chapter 1-3) of the OpenSPARCâ„¢ T2 Core Microarchitecture Specification.

Each core can execute at most 2 operations simultaneously, but it will switch from one thread to another, if a memory bottleneck is encountered. [Still 8 cores x 2 = 16 simultaneous threads, and even if this is not fully achieved, still I count on 10 simultaneous threads.]
discoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 23:23   #12
zootm
Forum King

Interesting. It's not actually very much more information than I'd already seen, but it does go into another layer of detail which is useful.

Old 13th August 2007, 14:07   #13
xzxzzx
Forum King

Very interesting.

I would imagine, for the average server, that it would mean each of the eight cores would be processing about three or four threads effectively simultaniously (due to cache misses). The lack of cost in context-switches (for those eight threads) is very nice as well.

Old 13th August 2007, 14:25   #14
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

cool.

all I need now it a $4 billion 65nm fab or even better a 45nm fab.

maybe the bank will give me a loan.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News