Old 16th March 2004, 23:47   #1
gas-attack

Send a message via ICQ to gas-attack
Bad ass playlist scrolling

I think I'm not the only one not liking this (but it doesn't stand in the wishlist...): When you've got, let's say, 1000 mp3s in your playlist and you want to scroll up or down, you have to use the "scroller block". Now many files are jumped over if you move the "scroller block" one pixel... So why not adding arrows to scroll with (like in media library, where pressing the arrows once a short time will only scroll down ONE song)?
gas-attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2004, 01:37   #2
gas-attack

Here a picture how I want it to be:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagination.jpg (23.6 KB, 442 views)
Old 17th March 2004, 02:20   #3
UltraZelda64

I agree... WA2 always annoyed me by doing this. It always had both arrows below the bar, which was one annoyance... but the other is that, even though it had arrows to click, it always scrolled down or up a few songs, not just one. Hopefully they update that someday...
UltraZelda64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2004, 21:24   #4
gas-attack

Even worse, WA 5.02 Modern Skin playlist doesn't even have any arrows anymore. Why don't they do that exactly like in ML?
But no, the few scrolling options are cut and cut... and noone likes it (at least a big majority)...
Old 31st March 2004, 22:22   #5
jojo 544
Major Dude

i wonder how many times this issue has to be posted to get to the developers attention :/

*sigh (still) under construction*
jojo 544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2004, 16:45   #6
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to VooDoo` Send a message via AIM to VooDoo`
Quote:
Originally posted by jojo 544
i wonder how many times this issue has to be posted to get to the developers attention :/
probably not enought, but I know that DrO can do this, because in his 'extend playlist editor' you have the better scrollbars, but its very bugy

o_0
VooDoo` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2004, 18:24   #7
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
...but its very bugy
For now
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2004, 19:34   #8
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Um...get over it? I never use the arrows, and i doubt most people do, seeing as how 99.9% of skins don't have them labled. Everyone uses either the bar itself to scroll, or the arrow KEYS, or just the JTF plugin.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 00:36   #9
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by dlinkwit27
I never use the arrows, and i doubt most people do.......Everyone uses either the bar itself to scroll, or the arrow KEYS, or just the JTF plugin. [/B]
If you have a lot of files in the list it's almost impossible to sroll with the bar itself, and yes there are buttons like arrows up&dwn also as page up and dwn, but i simpli like scrolbuttons much more since you can use them with mouse only , i realy miss this A LOT.. and i wouldn't be so sure that most people never use them.
(well now of cours they don't cause they just can't)
I've seen this issue finaly got to the wishlist, now let's hope it realy gets in winamp.
Old 1st May 2004, 05:24   #10
sanosuke
Major Dude

Already in the wishlist:
Quote:
Modern Skin Shit
scroll buttons in playlist window, like in classic playlist or ml playlists
Since this is a mordern skin problem it maybe possiable to fix it in any skin, just by adding arrows to the playlist windows, not sure how true this is.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 13:00   #11
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by sanosuke
not sure how true this is. [/B]
I'm not an expert so i'm not sure either, but i know some skins like invicta or mmd3 HAVE tose arrows in winamp3, but load the skin in winamp5 and they're gonne.
Old 1st May 2004, 13:16   #12
DrO

the reason for it's difference from winamp3 is that the classic playlist window is used with the frame drawing removed.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 16:08   #13
sanosuke
Major Dude

But is it possiable to add scrollbars in the skin itself?

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2004, 17:02   #14
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
Um...get over it? I never use the arrows, and i doubt most people do, seeing as how 99.9% of skins don't have them labled. Everyone uses either the bar itself to scroll, or the arrow KEYS, or just the JTF plugin.
It's not only the arrows, if you have only a few mp3's in your playlist, than the playlist scrolling sux so much, because you move the scrollbar down, but it stays on top until you are with your mouse cursor a far cry from the point you started draging the scrollbar.

My english sux too, I hope you know what I mean

o_0
Old 3rd May 2004, 03:13   #15
zao

simple fix use your mouse scroll wheel.. if you don't have a mouse like that its about time you get one.. there like 10 bucks now a days.
zao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2004, 12:49   #16
indeef

maybe I am missunderstanding something, but if you click above or below the bar - between the bar and arrow - it should skip up/down one "page" at a time (like all scrollbars in Windows do) if I remember correctly.

WA crashes when I open the playlist so I can't check.

If you have a huge playlist, then clicking arrows to scroll one song at a time sounds like a pain.
indeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2004, 14:07   #17
psycho_maniac
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by indeef
If you have a huge playlist, then clicking arrows to scroll one song at a time sounds like a pain.
or you can use the scroll on your mouse and it goes down like 10 songs and if you clicked on the last one you were looking at you wont get lost when you do this. this is what i do and why dont you just use the jtf when ur searching for a song. i have a main playlist and if i need a song for a cd for somebody ill open the main playlist press J then search for the song hit enter and enqueue it in my friends playlist.
psycho_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2004, 19:27   #18
VooDoo`
Major Dude

I don't need the ML scrollbars, but I think the PL scrollbar should go larger if I have a few songs in the list and goes smaler if I have many files in the list.

o_0
Old 3rd May 2004, 23:39   #19
jojo 544
Major Dude

[QUOTE]Originally posted by indeef
[B]maybe I am missunderstanding something, but if you click above or below the bar - between the bar and arrow - it should skip up/down one "page" at a time (like all scrollbars in Windows do) if I remember correctly.

All scroll bars in windows do so, right!
Scrollbar in winamp playlist editor... DOESN'T, instead it jumps right to the possition you clicked on.
And using mousescroll is not an option either, because it jumps also too many lines at once,but in some cases scrolling wheel might be the only alternative for now.

Just make the scrollbar like all other scrolbars work, WITH the arrows, and click above or below the bar acts like in normal windows scrolbars.
I know there are other ways to scroll pled like it is now, but i just dont like them. The scrollbar in pled sucks big time, period.
If i'm the only one who thinks so, i guess i just have to live with it, but i'm sure many others are with me.
Old 3rd May 2004, 23:45   #20
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Quote:
Originally posted by jojo 544
And using mousescroll is not an option either, because it jumps also too many lines at once,but in some cases scrolling wheel might be the only alternative for now.
It only scrolls eight lines! Make the playlist just a tad bit bigger if 8 lines is too much for you!
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 19:25   #21
VooDoo`
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by dlinkwit27
It only scrolls eight lines! Make the playlist just a tad bit bigger if 8 lines is too much for you!
I would not like tu use the mouse wheel!
I only want a dynamic scrollbar like the ML (or Windows) has and which size (longer/shorter) depends on the mass of your loaded song files into the PL (see attachment f.e.)

either this (screenshot) or better the fuckin sweet ML scrollbars with arrows! (imagination image from 'gas-attack') why I can't have them!
Attached Images
File Type: gif scrollbars.gif (19.0 KB, 186 views)

o_0
Old 4th May 2004, 21:02   #22
VooDoo`
Major Dude

ok, look at this and you should know what I exactly mean.
Attached Files
File Type: zip baps.zip (90.5 KB, 137 views)

o_0
Old 8th May 2004, 08:49   #23
VooDoo`
Major Dude

hm.. to avoid misunderstandings: the video show you what I mean with the 'bad ass playlist scrolling'. And I think this should be improved with a 'dynamic scrollbar size' I was talking about two posts upper

o_0
Old 8th May 2004, 10:04   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

So, basically, all you want is to be able to scroll one track at a time...
which was already in the wishlist before this thread was started, yes?

[impending *whack*]
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2004, 02:24   #25
VooDoo`
Major Dude

hmmm... I want to scroll in WA like in windows (or like in the ML), that is not the same, because I can scoll 1 track at a time ( if I have enough songs in the PL) but if I have a dynamic scrollbar (changing its size) it is better.

Give the PL the same scrollbars like in the ML and the Winamp PL is perfekt.

sorry, but my english is not so good to tell you what I mean, I think that the short video shows the PL scrolling issue.

- sorry for my english -

o_0
Old 9th May 2004, 02:44   #26
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by VOODOOpower
sorry, but my english is not so good to tell you what I mean, I think that the short video shows the PL scrolling issue.

- sorry for my english -
Hmm, your english is not so bad as you think.

I now what you mean, but I don't know, if that would be possible.

For the modern skin sure, but changing the scrollbar in winamp, maybe breaks compatibility with classic skins.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2004, 13:13   #27
gas-attack

Quote:
Originally posted by Koopatrooper
...For the modern skin sure, but changing the scrollbar in winamp, maybe breaks compatibility with classic skins. ...
So why not making it at least an OPTION? Here my imagination:
Classic skins: Only "old" scrolling
Modern skins: scrolling like in ML OR "old" scrolling (user can choose).
Know what I mean?
Old 9th May 2004, 14:23   #28
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by gas-attack
So why not making it at least an OPTION? Here my imagination:
Classic skins: Only "old" scrolling
Modern skins: scrolling like in ML OR "old" scrolling (user can choose).
Know what I mean?
I'm with you all the way Gas, i heard a thousant alternative ways to scroll, but thats not what wer're looking for, just a normal scrolbar would do just fineafraid for compatibiliti with old skins is no reason to stop winamp from developing, that would mean that any improvements are inpossible if they dont suport old skins.
If that's the case get rid of the old shit or make a choise possible
Old 9th May 2004, 14:55   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

If and when the day comes that everyone is running pc's powerful enough to handle modern skins, and no-one, not one single person, wants to ever use a classic skin ever again... then maybe the base skin can be changed.
Quote:
Orinally posted by DrO
the reason for it's difference from winamp3 is that the classic playlist window is used with the frame drawing removed.
Remember, the Winamp 5.x base skin is still the old 2.9x classic skin. Modern skin support is just a major hack.
Before asking for features, you need to understand the architecture

Scrollbars in the media library playlists were easy to implement in 2.9x because the library is just a plugin... a new addition/component.
The playlist window however is (and always has been) built into winamp.exe

Sure, there may be another major hack possible, to modify the playlist window frame for modern skins... anything is possible... but then again, there may not.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2004, 23:54   #30
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

the extended playlist that DrO made was a new playlist editor created from scratch as far as I know, he didn't simply add a scrollbar to the existing playlist editor.

Also, adding scrollbars in the skin itself is not possible, because the playlist editor is the same as the one in the classic skins.. the skinner has no control over it at all.

If someone could hack it to allow for a decent scrollbar in modern skins, I'm sure voting for that, but I'm not sure it's even possible to do with the way it was constructed.

I don't even like how the scrollbars in the Media Library were done, since they use the generic button graphics, _not_ the wasabi scrollbar graphics, so you now have two different types of scrollbars, wasabi ones and winamp classic ones, in the same skin...

as Egg said, modern skin support is a major hack, and with that, there are alot of limitations and compromises..

This is what you get when you throw Wasabi skin support on top of Winamp2, which is what the majority of the users wanted anyways.
NOW you say they should dump classic skin support etc, to get Wasabi skins to be as good as they can be.
Well, that was a possibility before, with Winamp3, but back then, the majority of the users hated it and wanted Winamp2 instead.. You (the users) made your choice, this is the result.

-Plague
Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2004, 23:55   #31
jojo 544
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Sure, there may be another major hack possible, to modify the playlist window frame for modern skins... anything is possible...
That sounds like sweet mumsic to my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
but then again, there may not.

well, let's hope and pray someday ...

I love winamp
Old 10th May 2004, 06:00   #32
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

*applauds plague*