Old 10th February 2007, 06:24   #1
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Winamp Vista Gadget

Are there any plans to make a Winamp sidebar gadget for Vista? I'm finally getting around to populating my gadget bar and it'd be extremely convenient to have it over there rather than loading into the taskbar area or with an internet browser. The gadget area is the perfect size for all sorts of reduced-size modern skin designs.

I realize development for Winamp isn't exactly in a renaissance period but it couldn't hurt to ask, right? I'm not even sure if this would be comparable to writing a modern skin, an extension, or reversioning Winamp completely, but I'm sure someone does.. I mean, the gadget sidebar is set to become just as important as the start menu and task bar in the future for Windows.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 17:25   #2
JFASI
Major Dude

I know that there are all sorts of other "sidebar" programs for XP that controlled winamp, so I'm sure that there is some way to make a widget. As for anyone actually going out and working on this, it's only a matter of time.

Certified Spam Connoisseur.
JFASI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 16:55   #3
jarousek

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/WinampRemoteGadget.asp
jarousek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 18:29   #4
Phyltre
Forum King

Thanks for the link, I was sure such a project was out there. But how hard would it be to make Winamp run as the gadget rather than loading the program separately? The whole reason I started looking for a winamp gadget was so that I wouldn't have to load the program, have it sit on top of other windows or take up space--it would always be loaded, always in the sidebar (assuming no video, of course). Is there any way to keep the program entirely in the gadget? Or can gadgets even do that?
Old 13th February 2007, 20:06   #5
DrO

from the looks of things, you'd never properly be able to get a native winamp.exe gadget thing since it'd have to be re-written/started from scratch so that it'd work in the gadget framework. i could be wrong but from the quick look at what i can see about gadget development it's just not viable to have winamp changed to run like it (but i've been wrong before and will be to come, heh )

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 20:35   #6
alex_gamer

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
from the looks of things, you'd never properly be able to get a native winamp.exe gadget thing since it'd have to be re-written/started from scratch so that it'd work in the gadget framework. i could be wrong but from the quick look at what i can see about gadget development it's just not viable to have winamp changed to run like it (but i've been wrong before and will be to come, heh )

-daz
idk how the vista gadget system works, but what if the gadget communicates to a winamp plugin, like how the google desktop gadget for winamp works.

the computer is never at fault for an error; a human is, though.
DO NOT PM me for tech support.
No matter what you're doing, use the right tool for the job!
alex_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2007, 20:42   #7
DrO

there's nothing stopping people doing that and has already been done (as linked to in a thread in the wishlist forum) but my main reason for reply was to reply to Phyltre's question about making winamp itself a native gadget

-daz
Old 16th February 2007, 06:21   #8
danbola

windows vista is pretty hopeless when it comes to itunes.
danbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 10:18   #9
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by danbola
windows vista is pretty hopeless when it comes to itunes.
iTunes is pretty hopeless when it comes to Windows Vista. Apple have apologised, issued a small patch and have said they'll fix the other issues later.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2007, 17:35   #10
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
issued a small patch and have said they'll fix the other issues later.
like how they've fixed all of the other issues with the windows version in the past - oh wait, there's a load still there i believe (i know pot-kettle-black with winamp but things are generally fixed faster in comparison to them and their larger dev team/resources)

-daz
Old 16th February 2007, 19:08   #11
Phyltre
Forum King

I have to say that driver/software support for Vista has been poor, and it's everyone's fault except Microsoft (they've actually done a wonderful job keeping things compatible, vouched by the fact that almost 100% of my programs continued to work after installing Vista directly over XP). All the major problems are with drivers/codecs that could have been perfected months and months ago when Microsoft released system details--but they never got around to doing it.

My Creative Extreme Gamer card doesn't do any hardware acceleration currently (and frequently makes garbled slow-down noises), my video card runs fine except the beta drivers aren't good enough to make fullscreen video work, Divx failed to make a codec that allows Vista to shows video thumbnails (every time I open a folder with divx-encoded files I get "COM error" messages), and of course there's the iTunes thing. Isn't it sad that almost all the issues I've had upgrading had nothing to do with Windows and everything to do with procrastinating third parties...especially when (computer illiterate) people are going to assume that Vista just wasn't written well enough?
Old 17th February 2007, 01:09   #12
Hvatum

Send a message via AIM to Hvatum
It's partly Microsoft's fault...

Microsoft changed the graphics driver interface drastically just to try to put OpenGL at a disadvantage.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=357

In short, the reason there have yet to be really good graphics drivers boils down to Microsoft's hate for OpenGL. Had Microsoft not tried to cripple OpenGL then Nvidia would have HALF the number of lines of code to write for their Vista drivers. By now, given the same amount of effort on the part on Nvidia, we would have production quality drivers. A few months is not enough to write 20M lines of production quality code (under any reasonable budget).

Also Creative is not entirely at fault for not yet providing good X-Fi drivers. Microsoft stripped out the entire Directsound API, so Creative has been forced to reverse engineer Directsound so they can pipe it through OpenAL. Just lookup ALchemy for more info on that.

So actually, consumers wouldn't be so far off blaming problems in Vista on Microsoft. Afterall, they are the ones who made it so damn hard to support it.

Yes, program compatability is good between XP and Vista. But that's really not something Microsoft could afford to not do well, it would destroy migration to Vista if normal XP programs didn't work. ;-)
Hvatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 02:44   #13
Phyltre
Forum King

Not too sure I get your point, though. You're saying it's Microsoft's fault because Vista is different from XP? Because they changed things around? You do realize that people were complaining that there weren't enough changes in Vista to encourage an upgrade, that it was just a prettier XP, right? Obviously nVidia Creative, ATI, etc. have their work cut out for them, since Vista works differently. But how long have they known what Microsoft was going to do?! Creative doesn't plan to release new drivers until March. Were they not told what changes were going to be made? I can't help but think they had some idea. And quite frankly, that article points almost solely towards Nvidia as the culprit:

Quote:
GeForce users running Vista are currently forced to use crippled software to run their hardware that was touted as "Vista Ready", both by NVIDIA and their partners, and NVIDIA will be the recipient of a pounding from the press as long as this continues. While there is no getting around the fact that NVIDIA’s current 100.59 offering is a disappointment for current users...
Old 17th February 2007, 12:14   #14
zootm
Forum King

Re: It's partly Microsoft's fault...

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
like how they've fixed all of the other issues with the windows version in the past - oh wait, there's a load still there i believe (i know pot-kettle-black with winamp but things are generally fixed faster in comparison to them and their larger dev team/resources)
Yeah, well, I don't use iTunes so whatever!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hvatum
In short, the reason there have yet to be really good graphics drivers boils down to Microsoft's hate for OpenGL. Had Microsoft not tried to cripple OpenGL then Nvidia would have HALF the number of lines of code to write for their Vista drivers. By now, given the same amount of effort on the part on Nvidia, we would have production quality drivers. A few months is not enough to write 20M lines of production quality code (under any reasonable budget).
If your driver is 20M lines, you've got worse problems than time constraints, I'd think.

But calling bullshit on the "MS just wanted to sabotage OpenGL" front. They changed the driver model because it needed to be done and this was a convenient juncture to do so. They needed to change the way OpenGL is handled because they now had a 3D desktop, running on one API, and OpenGL is another API. As far as I know, Direct3D has never been able to render OpenGL within itself, this is clearly something that requires a change in itself. And in the case where the driver providers don't implement that mechanism, they simply drop back to not using the 3D desktop. There's nothing sinister about this at all.

These constant conspiracy theories bug the hell out of me.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2007, 11:51   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

Being fair, except for some specific failures at ATI and Nvidia, most stuff does run, and if not, most of the software I've run into has a patch.

For example, Beyond TV just got a new patch to make it work with Vista. This was irritating a friend of mine..... for about 3 days

As long as there isn't another doomsday security issue like XP originally had, we're cool.

Take deep breaths. It's just windows.

Microsoft is 6 years late with the OS, we can wait a month for drivers.

It doesn't look like Vista is gonna vomit pea soup and wretch like XP did.

From my logs, only .05 % of people are using it anyway. As this increases in market share, the snivelling will get louder and things will get fixed.

rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2007, 17:11   #16
DarkAkorn

I hate to be responsible for dragging an off topic discussion back on topic :s but has anyone found a windows gadget that does work with the Vista sidebar (not the standalone one mentioned above)?
DarkAkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2007, 21:19   #17
muegi

Workaround:

Was also searching for a Winamp-Widget. But as it not seems to exist/work I created a workaround for me.

Use the Webradio Widget Webradio Sidebar Gadget
Added my m3u-files to the sender list (e.g. Winamp - Rock,C:\MP3\Rock.m3u,50)

You can only control the playlist (m3u) and start/stop, that's fine for me.

Hope this will be usefull for someone in the www...

cu
muegi
muegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2007, 16:10   #18
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Desktop Sidebar has inbuild winamp control plugin, but it would be stupid to use a sidebar program in vista as there is already a inbuild one existing.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 18:02   #19
ljames28

How about the Now Playing gadget here http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDeta...2cc6af0328&l=1
ljames28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2008, 05:43   #20
SGriffin

This works fine for me:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/gadgets/WinampRemoteGadget.aspx

I also made a quick skin for it to match the latest Bento version:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u5rlvo
or
http://rapidshare.com/files/87992935/Bento.zip.html

Heres what it looks like:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3277/sidebarys4.png

Just copy the folder into:
C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\WinampRemote.Gadget\skins
SGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 04:12   #21
StrawberryJ9

http://www.geocities.com/sabotagej9/...yinggadget.zip

my winamp sidebar gadget with album art display....if anyone else could host the file for me it would be awesome.
StrawberryJ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 19:18   #22
ljames28

That is not your gadget, please stop trying to take credit for other peoples work and effort. Not only are you ripping off me you're also ripping off 21 other people who helped create that gadget.
ljames28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2008, 22:54   #23
dominicrouleau

Winamp Rating Gadget

Hi,

I've made a gadget to control winamp from the Windows Vista Sidebar. The gadget name is: Winamp Rating

Features
- Rating songs from 1 to 5 stars
- Control playlist (play, pause, stop, previous, next)
- Scrolling song title
- Double-click title to choose a song from the list
- Many skins available
- Backup of the Winamp database
- File "Skin template.psd" to create your own skins

Homepage:
http://www.nafilm.com/winamprating

Have Fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamprating.jpg (36.7 KB, 3990 views)
dominicrouleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2008, 20:04   #24
BZRK

Quote:
Originally posted by SGriffin
This works fine for me:
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/gadget...oteGadget.aspx

I also made a quick skin for it to match the latest Bento version:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u5rlvo
or
http://rapidshare.com/files/87992935/Bento.zip.html

Heres what it looks like:
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3277/sidebarys4.png

Just copy the folder into:
C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\WinampRemote.Gadget\skins
Thanks, very nice
BZRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 09:57   #25
TheTech

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie

For example, Beyond TV just got a new patch to make it work with Vista. This was irritating a friend of mine..... for about 3 days
Lol....
But WHY???

Windows Vista has an EXCELLENT app called Media Center, which is way better than BeyondTV...
TheTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 13:51   #26
osmorphyus

im working with the sidebar on windows xp. i installed the winamp gadget, and it doesnt work.

i press play on it, and i get the error, "windows cannot find 'cProgram FilesWinampwinamp.exe' ver batim.

when i select the gadgets options, it only gives me a dialog to select the path to winamp, and the skin preference.

now, when i enter a new path, press OK and press play again - nothing happens.

i dont like the windows media player gadget, so a liteweight winamp agent would be great to get to work correctly. if anyone can help, i will appreciate it.
osmorphyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 14:01   #27
osmorphyus

alright, i have winamp rating installed, but - how the hell do i setup the files for it to play?
osmorphyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 15:10   #28
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

what sidebar are you using? i tried desktopsidebar and the winamp gadged worked without problems there.
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions