Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist

View Poll Results: Want to have the direct jump to file feature on keyboard letters?
Yes, would be more useful than those few actions assigned to letters now 1 33.33%
No, keep the current layout 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th August 2004, 14:09   #1
m4t3y

loading tags on background + direct playlist jump to feature

The only good feature in winamp 3.x was the option to load tags on background, so the winamp didn't stop responding when loading lot of files. Regettably the 3.x versions weren't very fast so I used 2.x until 5.x came. Please include this very useful feature in future versions. Since it already was in earlier versions of winamp I suppose it should not take much of your work.

Also would be cool to have some kind of playlist jump to feature, so when u press some letter on keyboard winamp would jump to the playlist where the first filename starting with that letter is located. I know few actions like shuffle, repeat etc are assigned to some letters, but the most of them are unused and since u have implemented the global hotkey support (one of the best features - no need to use plugin for it finally ;o) I think these few are not that important.

Thx for your time and keep making the best player even better ;o]
m4t3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 14:20   #2
siebe83
Forum King

About the second thing: you know about the Jump to File box, right? (not exactly what you want, but very handy)
Press J, F3, or numlock . to pop up the box, type where you want to go and press enter.
In the latest Winamp versions, you can also enqueue files using this box (and more options).

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 16:54   #3
J_Darnley
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to J_Darnley
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "option to load tags on background". Winamp can load the tags when the files are added to the playlist editor.

As I don't have long playlists and like to listen to whole albums in order, I don't have a need for a find-while-you-type like thing. And I know that I can use the JTF box if I needed it so I don't think it would be worth remapping the hotkeys (especially z, x, c, v and b) as it would just confuse more people than would it would satisfy.

Winamp ATF ReferenceMy cPro timer widgetMy port of AVS
Do NOT email me with general tech support questions.
J_Darnley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 17:31   #4
m4t3y

Yes I know about the jump to file feature, but it is more like a search. If u press for example r it will diplay all the files having "r" anywhere in the name. The thing I would like is to get u to songs starting with "r".
To the "option to load tags on background" - this option was used in 3.x versions. It is something between "Read metadata when files are loaded into winamp" and "Read metadata when files are played or viewed". The files are laoded into wianmp without tags (no lag) and after that the metadata are read file after file. And it won't stop after all the files u can see at the time in playlist are loaded, but will continue to load all the files in playlist. If u add albums to winamp separately, than it is not needed, but if u have loaded all your collection in winamp (like me) that in my case has more than 10 000 files it can take VERY long time to load all the tags.
Old 28th August 2004, 17:36   #5
m4t3y

to the remapping the hotkeys like z,x,c,v,b,r,s,l and so on I think these are anyway better to handle thru the global hotkeys so u can go to next track, prev.t., pause, play, stop, toggle shuffle and repeat all the time your winamp is running and not only if u have the winamp selected as the current app.
Old 28th August 2004, 17:38   #6
siebe83
Forum King

z,x,c,v,b,s,r,l,j
those hotkeys have been working that way for YEARS
no way that's gonna change...

Old 28th August 2004, 17:42   #7
m4t3y

siebe83: not saying they should be removed, just that some people could use an option to choose between the standard layout (which they don't use anyway thx to the global hotkeys) and the thing I am talking about. For people with thousands of files it would be really handy feature
Old 28th August 2004, 18:19   #8
siebe83
Forum King

Ok, I see. Maybe some option like that would be nice.
I wouldn't use it myself, but I agree some people would like it.
Could be problematic though for plugins that have an extra hotkey (like Q&M). But I think it should be possible.

I DO use those hotkeys, btw. And I'm sure a lot of people, MOST people do. If I'm enqueueing songs, i'm not gonna use some weird global hotkey combination like ctrl-shift-q, I just press Q.
For fast skipping songs, I like to use B. I'm sure a lot of people are accustomed to that behaviour.
But again, if it'd be an option, it would be nice, I guess.

Old 28th August 2004, 18:34   #9
m4t3y

I agree lot of the people use these. To me it seems easier to use the same hotkeys all the time not depending if in winamp window or not. btw my global hotkeys are not that difficult. some of them:
winkey+z - next track
winkey+x - previus track
winkey+space - pause
winkey+a - play
winkey+s - stop
winkey+d - show/hide winamp
winkey+q - shuffle on/off
winkey+up/down - volume up/down
and so on

anyway this is really something I don't care that much about. The reason I was creating this thread was beacause of the tag loading which in my case is pretty annoying. If I for example want to export a playlist with lenghts I have only two options (one worse than other ;o)
1. laod all the tags when adding all my files (for my 11000+ mp3s it takes about 5 mins!!! and winamp is not responding all the time)
2. I can have them display on view and scroll thru the whole playlist - never tried how long that would take ;o]
Old 28th August 2004, 19:10   #10
DrO

just to chip in with things regarding the second request to begin with. if you click in the actual search list and then type a letter it will move the highlight to the first match (and then sub filter from there with subsequent entries).

for doing it in the playlist would involve some alterations to somehow replace the current shortcuts or ignore them if the mode is enabled to begin with. maybe one day i will get around to trying to do this to see how it would work

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 19:48   #11
m4t3y

Thx for your interest DrO. That was just a though to make (my) use of winamp easier. It would be handy for all users having whole their collection loaded into winamp at once and not loading seperate albums every time.
Maybe this could be done easier by extending the jump to file feature. Maybe there could be an option to choose between "fulltext search" and "exact name search"
The current one is fulltext so if u type "r" it will show files like "a..r...x", "b....r..x"
The exact would show just files "r...x" and how u would type more letters u could specify the search results more and more. Just a though ;o]
Old 28th August 2004, 19:51   #12
DrO

Quote:
Originally posted by m4t3y
Maybe there could be an option to choose between "fulltext search" and "exact name search"
The current one is fulltext so if u type "r" it will show files like "a..r...x", "b....r..x"
The exact would show just files "r...x" and how u would type more letters u could specify the search results more and more. Just a though ;o]
it's on my todo list already so that the search is more customisable but that's someway off still at the moment.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2004, 20:11   #13
m4t3y

Btw thx DrO for the tip with clicking the desired letter to the search result which takes me to the first result starting with that letter. That made my use of winamp easier now ;o]
Still that loading thing should be solved if the 5.x has to have the best from 2.x and 3.x as it is supposed to be...
Old 1st September 2004, 00:21   #14
The_Mega_ZZTer

Send a message via AIM to The_Mega_ZZTer Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mega_ZZTer
Quote:
winkey+z - next track
winkey+x - previus track
winkey+space - pause
winkey+a - play
winkey+s - stop
winkey+d - show/hide winamp
winkey+q - shuffle on/off
winkey+up/down - volume up/down
and so on
IMO using winkey wouldn't be such a hot idea. I think WIN+S launches the Search dialog for example... and although the rest look ok, who knows what longhorn might add? (Yes, I understand you aren't proposing this as a fixed list.)
The_Mega_ZZTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2004, 07:20   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Still that loading thing should be solved if the 5.x has to have the best from 2.x and 3.x as it is supposed to be...
The thing is... is that Winamp 5.x is just the continuation of Winamp 2.x.
The only thing in Winamp 5.x from Winamp3 is freeform (modern) skin support, and that's just via an optional plugin.
Winamp3 (aka: wasabi.player) was entirely database driven. This made it possible for things like:
Load playlist metadata in background
Sort playlist by album, track#, year, etc.

However, the playlist in Winamp (2.x/5.x) is not database driven, and this cannot really change (due to limitations of old 2.x api).
Only the Media Library in 2.9x and 5.x is database drive, and again, that's just a plugin as well. The playlist however is built into winamp.exe

So basically, to achieve what you want, someone would need to make a database driven playlist replacement plugin...

Of course, the easy workaround is to use playlists.
The whole purpose of saving extended m3u playlists is for loading artist & title tags instantly when the playlist is loaded, so the player doesn't have to read & load them from the individual file tags.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2004, 10:25   #16
setsukun

Send a message via AIM to setsukun
Quote:
Btw thx DrO for the tip with clicking the desired letter to the search result which takes me to the first result starting with that letter. That made my use of winamp easier now ;o]
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Mega_ZZTer
IMO using winkey wouldn't be such a hot idea. I think WIN+S launches the Search dialog for example... and although the rest look ok, who knows what longhorn might add? (Yes, I understand you aren't proposing this as a fixed list.)
Yes, also Winkey + D is show desktop. I just use my media keys so I don't have to worry about any of that.
setsukun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist