Old 4th December 2013, 21:27   #1
kerzbat

Winamp crashes computer with ugly noise

Hello,

I have a problem with Winamp (I have newest version). Ir works about 10-20 minutes, after that computer freezes, I hear ugly sound from my speakers, HDD LED stops blinking - it's always on. If task manager is opened, I can see that Winamp uses 99% of memory and 100% of disk resources. Computer specs: Intel DB75EN MB, Intel Pentium G860 CPU, 4 GB RAM, Realtek HD audio, 2 Seagate HDD's, Windows 8.1 64-bit OS. I've run hardware tests, they didn't show anything bad - memtest is OK, MHDD OK on both HDD's, Burn in test OK. Reinstalling OS didn't help, drivers and BIOS are newest. Can anyone help me?
kerzbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 22:54   #2
iSPY

I have some strange crashing as well, not sound related though and it started with latest 5.66 and now 5.666.

The problem by me is with bento skin and visuals plugin tab ie., milkdrop in windowed player mode.. If switch back to lets say playlist or library tab it will freeze/crash music plays normally (using maiko.dll @ win8.1)..

Im now at 5.65 final (July 2013) and its ok, I can switch between tabs back and forth and it won't crash..

Maybe there is a rendering bug in +5.66 skin gui?

Idk, I guess because every time I start winamp there is this small rendering transition before it shows extended full view (collapse window button) - ie library, 5.65 does it faster.
iSPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 23:03   #3
DrO

yet i'd put the blame on the out_maiko.dll as that's been known to cause some loading / transition issues with vis plug-ins and other aspects and as it's currently looking like that plug-in is no longer developed, i'd have to suggest using the native Winamp output plug-ins to see if the issue is resolved or not (as i'm not able to replicate either cases of what's being described though i don't use out_maiko as i know it causes issues and i'd prefer my Winamp install to be stable).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 07:14   #4
kerzbat

Thanks, but I'm using Winamp with no additional plugins, I'm using native plugins, I'm using classic skin or modern skin (never used Bento skin - I didn't like it). I have the same problem with Winamp 5.65, 5.66, 5.666 and other older versions. I've noticed that if I don't use firefox and Winamp together, Winamp works without crashing longer. iSPY, I have problems not with tabs, my problem is: I listen music using Winamp, after 10-20 minutes winamp stops on song (even though it run minimized and I'm doing nothing with it) and plays about 1 second of the song repeatedly (it's very ugly sound, trust me), after that computer hangs with HDD LED is on but not blinking (hard disks are OK, they passed Victoria, MHDD, BurnIn and Seagate tests) and I can't do nothing with computer - except pressing reset or power buttons. I've changed my RAM module, tried some versions of Realtek HD Audio drivers, used windows with one HDD disconnected. No luck. Problem started about 3 weeks ago, I didn't upgrade anything - Winamp, K-lite, Firefox, drivers or something else. I've reinstalled Windows 1 week ago, as I said before, it didn't help. I think that it's not hardware problem - other players (foobar, AIMP, Media player, Media player classic) and apps working OK on this computer. I think Winamp is compatible with Windows 8.1 because it runs on my laptop with 8.1 without any problems. Laptop's audio - same Realtek HD.
Old 5th December 2013, 08:38   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi kerzbat,

If the same Winamp version and the same songs run on the laptop and the desktop was working 3 weeks ago, it strongly sounds like something changed on the desktop.

I would suspect corrupt media files, but you say the same songs play in other apps. Have you tried reinstalling your graphics driver (sounds like you've tried everything else)?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 09:21   #6
kerzbat

Aminifu,

I've reinstalled all my system. It was the first thing. No luck. Second was changing my RAM module. I have 2 HDD's, I've tried to install system on both of them and use one HDD only. No luck. I've tried different drivers downloaded from Intel, Nvidia (because of video card), Zotac and Realtek. None helped.

P.S. Winamp never crashed on same song. Everytime song is different. I've tried songs from USB HDD and USB flash disk drives - winamp has the same issue. I don't think that problem is in my desktop's hardware.
Old 5th December 2013, 10:25   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi kerzbat,

It probably wouldn't help, but it can't hurt to provide an Info Tool (link below) report of your desktop Winamp configuration. Use the advanced reply editor to attach it to a post.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 5th December 2013, 11:30   #8
kerzbat

I've attached report.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_05.12.2013.txt (26.4 KB, 188 views)
Old 5th December 2013, 14:23   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Well as expected, I don't see anything obliviously wrong. Assuming by the number of views without a comment, no one else has either.

You said in the 1st post that the task manager indicated that Winamp was using 99% of your 4 GB of memory. Winamp is a 32-bit app, it would have crashed (without locking up the whole computer) before it's memory usage could have climbed that high. Maybe you meant the total memory usage of everything running was using 99%. Recheck on the processes tab (while showing all processes) and monitor how much Winamp is using and which processes are using the most. It must be something else (maybe triggered by Winamp) that is using up all the RAM and causing the hard freeze. With your configuration, if Winamp's memory usage exceeds 1 GB something in your media files is causing it.

And I must return to the point about it was working and stopped 3 weeks ago. Unless something in the Winamp program and/or data files got corrupted, it can't just stop working after it was working. Since you reinstalled, anything that was corrupt would have been replaced. I assume you did a clean uninstall before the install (removed all the Winamp program and data files and folders).

Yours is a very unusual problem. If it was solely due to Winamp, more Windows 8 users would be reporting it.

Old 5th December 2013, 14:52   #10
kerzbat

Aminifu, task manager indicates normal amounts of memory and HDD usage if Winamp working normaly. I can see in task manager that winamp uses computer's resources normally, after 10-20 minutes winamp starts using 3,5 GB of RAM and 95% of disk. In that moment computer crashes. Other processes' resources usage staying not changed. As I said before, I did clean install of Windows, it means that I've removed everything from my system disk not just Winamp info! Winamp problems started 3 weeks ago, 1 week ago I've reinstalled Windows and tried use Winamp with new media files - problem is still here.
Old 5th December 2013, 15:04   #11
DrO

sounds more like a driver issue and would suggest trying to use out_wave instead of out_ds to see if that makes a difference and if needed going back to older / newer system drivers (especially the audio ones) as that's the only obvious reason for the issue.
Old 5th December 2013, 15:23   #12
kerzbat

DrO, I've tried this, didn't helped
Old 5th December 2013, 16:44   #13
DrO

dunno then as that's the only way i can explain what you're experiencing and the whole lockup, unless it is a hardware issue that's only happen under specific circumstances but there's nothing obvious about your install.
Old 5th December 2013, 18:23   #14
kerzbat

I've reinstalled Windows one more time. Winamp now crashes on third song. Something stupid.
Old 5th December 2013, 20:49   #15
kerzbat

Yes! Yes! Yes! Winamp almost works! I've installed very old Winamp version (5.581) it worked without crashing, after that I've upgraded it to 5.666 version. My brother thinks that is some kind of bug. Winamp stopped crashing my PC, but Jump to file function not working at all Any suggestions?
Old 5th December 2013, 21:50   #16
iSPY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
yet i'd put the blame on the out_maiko.dll as that's been known to cause some loading / transition issues with vis plug-ins and other aspects and as it's currently looking like that plug-in is no longer developed, i'd have to suggest using the native Winamp output plug-ins to see if the issue is resolved or not (as i'm not able to replicate either cases of what's being described though i don't use out_maiko as i know it causes issues and i'd prefer my Winamp install to be stable).
I see, I will try other plugins., btw do you know any similar alternative?

Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 22:10   #17
DrO

kerzbat: how are you accessing it? via the 'J' key or 'F3' or via the menus as it should just be working fine with the v1.3.1 included with v5.666. and i still hold to it being a driver issue you were having and is most likely related to the Sonic Engine then (based on the dates of the last update being around the mid-5.5x releases).

iSPY: not that i know off, i'd just use the out_ds but that's just me.
Old 5th December 2013, 23:06   #18
Kigen

I've noticed a memory leak just leaving Winamp running for a few hours. Eventually this memory leak can consume the available memory. I've had Winamp murder a machine that only had 4GB of RAM. RIP Gaming Rig of '07.

Anyway, what appears to happen is that Winamp would use all the available RAM (which would be 2GB or less since other stuff was using the other 2GB). Then Windows starts shoving a ton of it to the virtual RAM aka pagefile. This is the point that its locks up or BSOD the machine. I'd suggest to test get a machine with only 4GB of RAM and open Winamp on it. Run a song then stop. Then leave it there for a day or two. Over this time you should see Winamp eat up the RAM slowly. Until it hits the maximum amount of RAM available. Then Windows will freak out and try to shove some of that into the pagefile. Thus resulting in death of the machine.

My old rig was Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. Core2Quad 9800 and 4GB of 800Mhz RAM.
Kigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 23:12   #19
DrO

and i've had multiple instances of Winamp over the last few months running and have not seen any of the memory leak issues which people have reported repeatedly over the last decade. so maybe there is something not right but as it's never happening on any of the dev machines used, it's either something about the Winamp install or something else on the system which is causing it e.g. additional dlls loaded from system services / drivers which are then causing it as i've lost track of the amount of time i've spent trying to replicate such reported issues with no success. though you've not mentioned what Winamp version(s) this has been happening with.
Old 6th December 2013, 01:11   #20
Kigen

Winamp 5.65 is the one that killed the old rig. I not had the issue reoccur on Winamp 5.666 yet.
Kigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 06:42   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSPY View Post
I see, I will try other plugins., btw do you know any similar alternative?
"WinampMatrixMixer" (link below) is an output plug-in that works along with the DirectSound output plug-in to up-sample and/or up-mix standard stereo audio (6 channels for up to 5.1 speaker systems). It intersects the audio stream after any DSP processing and before the DS output processing. It is based on the AC3Filter (2nd link below for further info). It does not support WASAPI exclusive mode. It's the only alternative I've found that comes closest to what Maiko provided and works with the latest Winamp release.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/winampmatrixmix/

http://www.ac3filter.net/wiki/AC3Filter_Help

Old 6th December 2013, 14:36   #22
iSPY

^
Im on win8.1 so i can't use direct sound, well i can but there is no HW level?

Im also at 2.1 system, anyway I had some extra plugins from before, thanks for extra links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
kerzbat: how are you accessing it? via the 'J' key or 'F3' or via the menus as it should just be working fine with the v1.3.1 included with v5.666. and i still hold to it being a driver issue you were having and is most likely related to the Sonic Engine then (based on the dates of the last update being around the mid-5.5x releases).

iSPY: not that i know off, i'd just use the out_ds but that's just me.
Hi,

Ok I tested ASIO dll 0.67, openAL wumpus 1.01, Audioburst PowerFx 2.1 and all work fine when I switch between library and visualization tab, also there is no delay when I press "expand window".

So all is ok, sorry for false alarms
Old 7th December 2013, 08:33   #23
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSPY View Post
Im on win8.1 so i can't use direct sound, well i can but there is no HW level?

Im also at 2.1 system, anyway I had some extra plugins from before, thanks for extra links.
Could you explain what you mean by "no HW level"?

I assume then that you only used Maiko for it's bit-perfect transfer features.

Does your speaker system automatically provide audio for the sub-woofer? If not, how is that channel driven?

Old 7th December 2013, 15:12   #24
iSPY

Isnt direct sound only winxp hardware layer feature and in vista or later works in sw mode?

I used maiko only because it had this exclusive mode feature and I could use 24/96, openAL wasapi is limited to 16bits max.

My speakers are a 2.1 system with build-in separate woofer, a bit older Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers.
Old 7th December 2013, 15:17   #25
DrO

directsound still works on Vista and higher, but there were certain changes though which removed or limited hardware acceleration (even though i think it ended up being built on top of the wasapi system or something like that). for the vast majority, out_ds is perfectly fine to use and something that supports more than 16-bit output is generally pointless if the input media is only 16-bit anyway.
Old 7th December 2013, 15:42   #26
iSPY

Ah right, yeah I meant Creative EAX doesnt work in hw layer anymore and If i used winamp direct sound and mixed with creative Alchemy direct sound games it would cause some stutters., Idk I didnt test this for a long long time ( had Vista back then and old pc)
Old 8th December 2013, 08:38   #27
Aminifu
Forum King

@DrO,
I agree that technically up-sampling is generally pointless and could decease sound quality. This 'snake oil' has been pushed by many vendors for years. It sounds like it could work if the values are extrapolated somehow and not just padded with zeroes.

Do you know if it's true that Windows, since XP, will up-sample (or down-sample) the final output to match the sound device? I have a 24/96 sound card and figured I'd let a Winamp plug-in do the up-sampling instead of Windows.

Anyway, it must be the placebo effect, but most of my files just sound a little better to me when I up-sample them, especially the way Maiko did it.

@iSPY,
The picture is a lot clearer now, with the added details. Thank you.

Old 8th December 2013, 11:21   #28
kerzbat

DrO: I was accessing Jump function via J, F3 and via menu play-> Jump To -> Jump to track. Nothing happened. I've reinstalled Winamp one more time, changed color scheme. Now it seems that everything's OK. Thanks for help
Old 25th December 2013, 04:35   #29
SingBlueSilver7

HELP!!! As of today, Winamp is now crashing when I open the Podcast Directory. ALSO... it is using 95% or more of my CPU memory!!! I can't do this! I will have to uninstall it, and I'm a major Winamp fan with Winamp Pro!!!
SingBlueSilver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
crashes, hangs, noise