Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Old 19th February 2014, 14:19   #1
FTL_Ian

Anyone know a good embedded player to replace the shutdown shoutcast player?

I did not see any recommendations posted anywhere. What do you like to embed and playback your stream on your site? Preferably it would be free.

Thank you!
FTL_Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 14:53   #2
DJ-Garybaldy
Major Dude

Do a google search for "Native Flash player" it's not that difficult to setup.

Proud USER of RadioDJ since 2010

Online: Twitter - Blog - RadioDJ
DJ-Garybaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 15:03   #3
DrO

if it's an MP3 stream, i believe all of the current browsers will now playback MP3 streams using the HTML5 control (playback of AAC streams won't).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 22:24   #4
FTL_Ian

Most of the ones that are coming up are no longer in existence.

Does anyone have a specific recommendation? I appreciate it!

Oh, wait - the Shoutcast player is back!!!
Old 19th February 2014, 22:32   #5
DrO

only temporarily, it will be formally removed at some point so it's still best to be looking for something else instead of the old AOL flash player.
Old 19th February 2014, 22:35   #6
FTL_Ian

Yep - it's down again.

Anyway, would love some specific suggestions, please.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:05   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL_Ian View Post
Anyway, would love some specific suggestions, please.
Specifically, do a specific google search specifically for "Native Flash player"

Is it just me or are shoutcast users getting dumber?
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 18:22   #8
aron9forever

If I'm not allowed to post here, then delete it, otherwise, this works out well for me, it's flash by the way

Quote:
<embed width="400" height="35" src="http://player.wavestreamer.com/cgi-bin/player2.swf" flashvars="skin=http://player.wavestreamer.com/cgi-bin/bluemetal/bluemetal.swf&amp;title=Live Stream&amp;type=sound&amp;file=http://89.33.242.101:8000/;s.mp3&amp;13142580629&amp;duration=99999&amp;id=scplayer&amp;=true&amp;volume=100&amp;autostart=true&amp;"></embed>
You're gonna have to replace the address, it only works for mp3
aron9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 07:27   #9
masg1313

Wavestreming Free SHOUTcast Flash Player:

http://wavestreaming.com/player/free...t-flash-player
masg1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 11:20   #10
Kigen

The problem with the old AOL flash player was that AOL had to run servers that scraped the stream for metadata. So AOL would constantly poll the stream for metadata by repeatedly connecting to it. Ultimately, the true way forward is to do simple encapsulation of the audio in the flv format so that metadata can be included in a way Flash players understand it. Icecast KH and Steamcast both support this method.
Kigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 11:37   #11
DrO

and that is one of the many reasons why people should stop using the old AOL provided player as it never should have been done in that way to start with (i don't know why it was since it was all done well before my time on SHOUTcast when i had my AOL hat).

as everything which that connection from the YP servers does as the metadata puller connection can be done directly against the DNAS or can be pulled from the YP database (it was just a shame that there were issues with the player that prevented it from being updated to allow for either of those to have been done which would have saved _everyone_ bandwidth and prevented a heavy skewing of listener statistics since the v1.x DNAS incorrectly counts those test connections as actual listeners when they are not and should not - which is why v2.x explicitly doesn't count those connections in the listener stats).

as for encapsulating the audio into a FLV container, there was some work done to do that but it was not stable and so was removed. though since that time, HTML5 is becoming the far better option and now that all of the current browser versions support MP3 streams, there's becoming a lot less of a reason for flash players (yes there's a need for people unable to update to a HTML5 compatible player, but that's like with anything). it's only for AAC based streams that the need for encapsulation is still required and that would be placing it into an MP4 container (or at least that's what should be the case).

either way, it seems like a hybrid FLASH/HTML5 combination is the way to go at the moment to cover the general transition which is happening in the client / device support. and with the DNAS, lets hope that we can do more to get it better at providing more compatible content types in the coming months (i.e. things i had previously started but never had the time to finish off to a releasable state...)
Old 21st February 2014, 17:26   #12
Kigen

The problem currently with just going for HTML5 support is the lack of support for metadata from streams. As far as I know no browser supports metadata from a streaming server. I've only seen a Javascript library that peeks at the binary data to get ID3 tags.
Old 21st February 2014, 18:27   #13
DrO

true, though as most need to have the in-stream metadata provision disabled to be able to work correctly (unless things have improved since i last checked), then it that really isn't that much of an issue. especially when the DNAS can be queried directly for that information anyway as required (which is why i tried to explain that what the shoutcast.com player did was not needed in the first instance anyway).

yes having the in-stream metadata and being able to make use of it is a far better option and reduces the load on the DNAS, but a query of 7.html for example is still a lot less than what most DNAS have to go through and provide via the metadata puller connection i.e. up to a few seconds of audio.

which is why i made sure the v2.2.x DNAS is more aware of such connections and allows it to just return the in-stream metadata string and nothing else (which is the best compromise to keeping the site player working at the time without wasting bandwidth on the DNAS i.e. i put a bit of thought into things when other aspects cannot be changed). obviously there is little that can be done about the v1.x DNAS to help as it's not an active code branch anymore.
Old 21st February 2014, 20:09   #14
odogg

I use jPlayer, works great.

http://jplayer.org/latest/demo-08/

Odogg
Dogglounge Internet Radio
Streaming Deep House Music 24/7
www.dogglounge.com
odogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 20:31   #15
Kigen

The question becomes what's the best way to pass metadata to browser clients. Its possible to do it via AJAX. Steamcast does this on it's homepage (example). DrO, do you think Shoutcast v2 could support passing metadata via AJAX to browsers?
Old 21st February 2014, 20:57   #16
DrO

there's a number of ways to get the metadata but it all depends on the version being used e.g. /7.html (v1.x, v2.2.x, /stats (v2.x), /statistics (v2.2.x), /currentsong (v2.x), /nextsong (v2.x), /admin.cgi methods (v1.x, v2.x but both need a password).

and AJAX requests should work ok as-is, seeing as it's just needing the DNAS to provide valid responses for whatever is generating the request. this is why v2.2.x made sure that everything also has a JSON response so it's a lot easier to access things from the DNAS.
Old 22nd February 2014, 02:02   #17
microcosmic

Hi there,

I am using jQuery jPlayer 2.5.0 and SHOUTCAST PHP Stats
on my site.

Works pretty well :-)

---

http://schranz.in
microcosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 15:22   #18
renaudsn
Radionomy Team

jPlayer is a great choice as it loads an HTML5 player for browsers that support it, and loads a flash version for others.
It's really cool if you have a responsive website that can be browsed on a mobile device as it'll allow users to have a HTML5 player to listen to your station.

Radionomy - IT
renaudsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 00:30   #19
microcosmic

I am thinking of doing a responsive website in the next weeks when I am done with more important projects (I am frontend developer).

This will be based on ZURB Foundation 5 and ofcourse responsive ;-)
microcosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 00:46   #20
AJ™

Hey so there's a lot of talk about Jplayer and I just switched my player to it. But it doesn't work on IE 11. How can I fix that?
AJ™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 02:00   #21
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ™ View Post
How can I fix that?
IF jplayer indeed doesn't work on IE11, you can do sweet FA about it, because, you don't have the source to that piece of crap

Old 25th February 2014, 02:09   #22
AJ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
IF jplayer indeed doesn't work on IE11, you can do sweet FA about it, because, you don't have the source to that piece of crap
Haha well if you think it's a piece of crap, what else would you suggest? I can't find any players that work absolutely good.
Old 25th February 2014, 11:37   #23
renaudsn
Radionomy Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaromanda View Post
You could try and contact the dev with your issue. He answers rather quickly.
Although I just tested jPlayer in IE11 and it works.

Radionomy - IT
renaudsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 19:12   #24
AJ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaudsn View Post
You could try and contact the dev with your issue. He answers rather quickly.
Although I just tested jPlayer in IE11 and it works.
Could you tell me if the player on kosmicradio.com works for you on IE11? Maybe it's just a browser add on.
Old 25th February 2014, 21:20   #25
DrO

it doesn't with IE11, though it does appear to be making the connection attempt and then aborts. though kosmicradio.com:8000/;stream/1 is not what i'd expect to see as the playing url, as kosmicradio.com:8000/ or kosmicradio.com:8000/stream/1/.

as what is entered on the page could in some cases be treated as a webpage request so would suggest trying to alter it to use the correct path format i.e. just a / or /stream/1/ but not having a semi-colon on the url as you've got.
Old 26th February 2014, 03:24   #26
AJ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it doesn't with IE11, though it does appear to be making the connection attempt and then aborts. though kosmicradio.com:8000/;stream/1 is not what i'd expect to see as the playing url, as kosmicradio.com:8000/ or kosmicradio.com:8000/stream/1/.

as what is entered on the page could in some cases be treated as a webpage request so would suggest trying to alter it to use the correct path format i.e. just a / or /stream/1/ but not having a semi-colon on the url as you've got.

For some reason jplayer doesn't work without the semicolon, as indicated here: http://jplayer.org/latest/demo-08/
Old 26th February 2014, 08:24   #27
micronicos

Send a message via Skype™ to micronicos
Native Flash Radio V2 is free.

I use the free Native Flash Radio V2 for my internet radio station, works well & is reliable; there is a paid version 3 which costs EU12 which I have not tried.

Native Flash Radio V2

Native Flash Radio V3

Not open-source. Hope this is of use.

Regards,
Nico Morrison
Radio Flower Raj - live music, news & interviews.

IBM T41 (2003) [2GB RAM 300GB IDE HDD XP Pro SP3]
INTEL SERVER MOTHERBOARD (2004) [2GB RAM DEBIAN 7.3]
micronicos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 09:02   #28
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by micronicos View Post
there is a paid version 3 which costs EU12
no he-aac support - which probably means it's poorly written - next

Old 26th February 2014, 09:27   #29
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ™ View Post
For some reason jplayer doesn't work without the semicolon, as indicated here: http://jplayer.org/latest/demo-08/
well thats something for them to either clarify or resolve as what I'd provided is what the DNAS expects for the access url to ensure the correct stream will be played. otherwise there's little else I can suggest try to determine the issue and is something jplayer would need to look it into (and I can be contacted to advise things if they need that help).
Old 12th March 2014, 20:27   #30
FTL_Ian

So, the consensus thus far is that no flash players pull title and track info from streams besides the Shoutcast player?

Given it's still online, I'll keep using it 'til the bitter end.

Old 13th March 2014, 03:09   #31
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
So, the consensus thus far is that no flash players pull title and track info from streams besides the Shoutcast player?
not so, but it does require a socket policy server on the shoutcast server

Old 13th March 2014, 08:55   #32
DrO

Quote:
if requiring the YP severs to send out a test connection to the DNAS to try to scrape info from the stream and pass it back to the old site player, then I guess so. which I hope when seen written makes it sound like an awful way of doing things because it is

really if using flash is a must, the best way is something like the solution jaromanda had in conjunction with a socket policy server (which is built into the v2.2.x DNAS) which can the pull the information directly from the stream with the need for the YP (which I would very much like to see not having to be involved).
Old 13th March 2014, 10:28   #33
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
a socket policy server (which is built into the v2.2.x DNAS) .
I missed that change!! that makes it so simple to use a flash app that can even play he-aac

Old 13th March 2014, 10:54   #34
DrO

and the DNAS is able to host the swf file as well if needed
Old 13th March 2014, 12:08   #35
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
and the DNAS is able to host the swf file as well if needed
good news if you're one of those who insists on embedding radio in a webpage

I still don't see the point - no webpage is interesting enough to stay on just for the music

Old 13th March 2014, 12:34   #36
DrO

yup, though i mainly added that support to allow things to be all accessed from the same domain. but what about popup windows...
Old 18th March 2014, 13:11   #37
jenko3000

You can get an embeddable player with track info and cover art from Radio Tuna (I'm one of the founders)
jenko3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 20:18   #38
neralex
Major Dude

http://mediaelementjs.com/ ftw! my fav atm!

Mediaelements.js make it right in all ways, responsive - also for older browsers.

Note: Native Flash Radio V3 sucks. Its based on jPlayer it doesn't work with Android >= 4.2.2! The player comes also with a lot of unneeded stuff. The script remove many left+right mouse function on the page where is it included. The written PHP code for catching the songtitle is outdated. Its not really supporting mountpoints on Shoutcast2.

Last edited by neralex; 21st March 2014 at 21:58.
neralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions