Old 5th January 2005, 19:40   #1
The_Mega_ZZTer

Send a message via AIM to The_Mega_ZZTer Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mega_ZZTer
Winamp starts and immediately hangs

Well I'm starting to have a weird repeating problem that I can't link to anything I did.

When I start up winamp 5.08 it shows the window and system tray icon as it should, but the window does not respond to the mouse or animate and winamp stops responding to windows. Clicking on the system tray icon produces the winamp menu, but it immediately disappears too fast to select any options.

Winamp still responded to DDE requests for the playlist from other programs however (?!?!?!), specifically the Winamp 2 plugin for Trillian 3 Pro.

Even after ending the process and restarting winamp it still produced the same behavior.

First I cleared the "last played" playlist in winamp.m3u using notepad by deleting all but the first line. Winamp still did not start up.

Then I tried changing the current skin in winamp.ini. Winamp starts up with the new skin, but it still crashes.

Next I renamed winamp.ini and started winamp again. Winamp still crashes, and does not get far enough to generate a newc winamp.ini file (although I don't know if it even does this at startup).

Rebooting will prolly fix it, but I like my uptime. So I'll use it as a last resort (or in the next few minutes, if I start craving music real bad). Anyone see anything like this before?

[Edit: I just found this thread: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=203959 didn't see it before posting, it sounds like it could be the same as my problem.]
The_Mega_ZZTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2005, 23:30   #2
The_Mega_ZZTer

Send a message via AIM to The_Mega_ZZTer Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mega_ZZTer
Bah. Rebooting worked for a little bit, but now it's doing it again. Very annoying. mIRC refuses to start up either! (Happened both sessions, dunno what's up with that.) I'm scanning for viruses but I'm not finding anything. I'll do an adware/spyware scan after that.

Sorry for the double post, it won't let me edit my post.

[Edit: Oooh now THIS is interesting:

When I launch Winamp by opening a file winamp can play, winamp runs but immediately silently dies (only the systray icon remains until I mouse over it), but then svchost.exe relaunches it! (I can tell because it becomes a child process of svchost and a 2nd systray icon appears.) Interesting. Still doesn't help me tho.]

[Edit: Errr yeah I just added two plus two. I disabled the AMIP DLL and winamp loads fine. Grr. mIRC will probably work too,]
The_Mega_ZZTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support