Old 27th June 2013, 04:17   #1
JFord

Send a message via AIM to JFord Send a message via Yahoo to JFord
Winamp 5.64 Hangs when Starting New Track

Yesterday I installed Winamp version 5.64 (on Windows XP 32) and I am wishing now that I hadn't.

While it appears to work for the most part it has an annoying habit of hanging for 5-10 seconds when it starts any new track. Windows is fine, but Winamp gets stuck. The file format doesn't matter, it is an equal opportunity hanger.

I tried running Winamp in safe mode with a minimum of other processes running and I get the same result.

So then I decided to revert back to 5.63. The first problem I have is that oldapps.com has a page and a download link for 5.63, but the actual file is for 5.623. I have sent them a message about this, but if anyone here has any better clout please help me out.

I installed 5.623 and that solved my hanging issues (all gone! poof!) but I found that I no longer have any of my Winamp playlists due to the upgrade in 5.64.

I freaked a little, but managed to stay calm and then upgraded back to 5.64. My playlists are back but so is the hanging issue.

Sooooooooooooooooooo...........

I don't care how we solve this problem. Either determine what's wrong with 5.64 or tell me how to get my playlists back in 5.623 (and then hopefully later I can find 5.63 at some point).

When it rains, it pours.

James M. Ford
JFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 06:41   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi JFord,

I don't know why version 5.64 hangs at the start of your songs. It works fine for me. Could be configuration issues or 3rd party plug-ins. You could use Koopa's Info Tool to run an extended report of your Winamp configuration. Zip it up and attached it to a post.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932

Installing old versions over newer versions and back again could lead to problems. It is safer to save your user data and completely delete the current Winamp version and install fresh, if you want to go backwards. At this point a 'clean uninstall' and reinstall may benefit you, but save (backup) your user data first.

As to your playlists, the new Winamp version changed where playlists are stored. The change logs need to be read carefully. I sometimes overlook things myself. The older versions stored things in the user data winamp "ml" sub-folder. The new version stores in sub-folders of the "ml" sub-folder. So it is just a matter of copying or moving your user data from where it is saved (backed up) to where the particular version of Winamp expects to find it.

A backward inplace upgrade could leave things around that could confuse an older version or they could be deleted. In this case, the sub-folders holding the playlists were not deleted by the older version. They were also not recreated when you reinstalled the newer version. I'd say you were lucky with the playlists, but there could now be things in the various Winamp configuration files that are at odds with the Winamp version installed.

Good luck

Edit:
Filehippo.com does a good job of archiving old versions of things.

Winamp Pro 5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 07:30   #3
JFord

Aminfu --

Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached the Winamp Info report. Thanks for any help you can provide to get me a real solution.

I had read the update log (I always do, though most items I either don't care or don't understand), but I was under the impression that some sort of database was now in play. Before your reply I realized that it was just a rearrangement of the file locations. I can handle that part.

Thanks for the tip on File Hippo I will check it out.

-- Jim
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_27.06.2013.txt (26.2 KB, 85 views)

James M. Ford
Old 27th June 2013, 08:05   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi JFord,

Well you are running some 3rd party plug-ins. You can use the relatively new Safe Mode feature to find out if any of them are involved with your issue.

Open the General Perferences (Ctrl+P) window and select the header of the Plug-ins section. Then on the bottom right side is a button to restart in Safe Mode.

If the problem goes away, then it is due to one or more of the items Safe Mode disabled. Restart in normal mode with all those items disabled, then enable them one at a time until you find those that cause the issue to reappear.

One way to disable an item is to rename it's file extension from "dll" to "off" while Winamp is not running.

Old 27th June 2013, 08:24   #5
JFord

Already Did That

Actually, in my original post I stated that I had tried this. It did not affect the behavior of Winamp at all.

James M. Ford
Old 27th June 2013, 08:37   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Oh sorry, I forgot you did state that. My only other suggestion is to try adjusting the Direct Sound output plug-in's buffering and crossfade options.

Old 27th June 2013, 10:15   #7
DrO

what exactly is locking up? is it he whole of the Winamp ui or something else? as this is the first mention of such behaviour I've seen against 5.64 / 5.7 beta as we've done a lot to try to resolve any issues which have been reported compared to most of the releases from the last few years.

as i'm on the mobile I'm not able to look at the info report but one thing to try is a separate install of 5.64 and see if it's due to a settings issue. as I know there's been similar claims of older versions doing such things and I would like to get it resolved where possible. so if you don't mind re-download the 5.64 installer and try a separate install and can then go from there.

[edit]
have now had a look at the info report and have you tried with the classic skin or Bento to see if it's specific to Winamp Modern. also one thing might be something to do with artwork or a now playing type of lookup which the modern skins are more likely to do, so trying to disable / check against some of those aspects would be a good starting point.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 11:46   #8
JFord

Willing to Assist...

First of all, the hang includes all of Winamp. When the track switches the timer resets and then stops for the 5-10 seconds and then it jumps to the current position. There is no interruption in the sound, only the willingness of Winamp to respond to anything.

I am willing to install 5.64 clean, but can I have two versions running on the same machine or do I need to clear the current install first?

If possible, I would prefer to start with less invasive (and time consuming ideas). I am not using Art in any manner that I know so I assume that's a dead end, but I will push any buttons you want. I also I have really changed much on the skin side, and don't really know a lot about what those options do. Which skin options would you like me to change?

James M. Ford
Old 27th June 2013, 11:53   #9
DrO

ok, so it's a ui specific lockup. would suggest then trying with a classic skin (the base 2.x styled one) as modern skins effectively sit on top of that and so if something else is messing with things, it may help to indicate if it's modern skin specific or specific to the install as a whole. there's no skin options to change for the time being, just the skin being used.

you can install multiple Winamp's on the same machine and is what i've done for years to have a 'dev' install and the one i actually use so i can use it will still developing Winamp. you just need to ensure you select a different folder during the install process and then all of the new settings go into a separate folder so what was already in place will not be messed with (only issue is files associations often get set to the new install, but that is easy to put back to the original when all is sorted by holding 'ctrl' when leaving the file types preferences page).

just ensure you're working against build 3418 so ensuring a clean download of the installer from the site is what i'd recommend doing.

and whilst you're doing that, i'll have to have a think off what might be causing such a lock-up from all of the changes made since 5.63 (as there's been a lot if you go through everything Egg had logged in the 5.7 beta which isn't in the final changelog in the client - would be too long if it was, heh).
Old 14th July 2013, 00:45   #10
JFord

Solved!

OK, sorry for the delay. but I have determined the cause of my issue.

It was not caused by skins or any other setting. It is caused by the size of my media library database which currently contains 114,000 entries. Yes, I know that's excessive and it will get reduced, but it has never caused a problem before now (it does require some time to complete a scan, but I can live with that).

Once I realized this I knew the fix. I disabled the Recently Played tracking option and it works perfectly now.

Since I don't care about tracking those metrics this issue is resolved in my mind, but if you are so inclined you might want to check into the root cause.

Thank you to all of your supporters. Without you Winamp is not the product that it is.

-- Jim

James M. Ford
Old 14th July 2013, 00:56   #11
DrO

was that on the media library -> local library preferences page or media library -> history ?

now we've got a large library as being the trigger point, i'll have to see what's going on and see if anything can be done (i suspect from something i remember looking into last year with the recently playing tracking, we might be saving the library database or something related to that which with a large library could take a while to complete processing).
Old 14th July 2013, 00:58   #12
JFord

local library preferences

James M. Ford
Old 16th July 2013, 03:21   #13
DrO

there'll be a change in v5.65 which should help with this issue (though it's still possible to happen when the auto-save kicks in for every 50 or so plays / db edits, which ever is first when the play tracking fires).

only downside is we're not syncing play counts back like we were though hopefully all of the memory related fixes in v5.65 should lessen the chance of things possibly crashing and play counts being lost (though using the ml_history tracking is probably better for such things as it's not having to mess with the whole db).
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support