Old 20th April 2008, 06:52   #1
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Yellow Dog Linux 6 on PS3

I am aware that a few of our other forum frequenters have purchased a ps3. I do not know however how many have been so bold as to try out Yellow Dog linux on it. Well I have had it on my system for a couple of weeks now messing with it on and off. I feel as though I have made some progress worth sharing. I put linux on my ps3 with the desire to surf the web from the couch, play internet radio through my surround sound, and most of all get some old school gaming on. All of these things I have accomplished, take a look.

Here are some screen shots;

Desktop Menu (changed from default to gentoo)

Little streaming & surfing

Sega Genesis Shinobi 3

Obligatory Doom install

DUNE 2 (old school pc gamers should recognize this)

Also here is a video of me running through a few emulators;

virtual console eat your heart out

If any one else wants to give it a try I have a affixed a reference guide I made. I put it use when I hooked up my friends ps3 today with YDL6 for some retro gaming.
Attached Files
File Type: txt yellowdoglinux.txt (7.7 KB, 978 views)

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 20th April 2008 at 08:00.
EfaustuS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 12:25   #2
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
I've considered running Yellow Dog,

but
A, they hide there downloads well.
B, I'm using a normal TV and they say its not worth running it unless its on a computer resolution.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 15:15   #3
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

i'm waiting for rsx support first.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 15:34   #4
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to EfaustuS9 Send a message via AIM to EfaustuS9 Send a message via Yahoo to EfaustuS9
Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
I've considered running Yellow Dog,

but
A, they hide there downloads well.
B, I'm using a normal TV and they say its not worth running it unless its on a computer resolution.
A, Have you tried your favorite torrent search engine. You can download TDL5 from their servers for free but if you want 6 from them you will have to buy it. However there are torrents of it out there just gotta do a little scrounging. PM me maybe I can help .

B, the display will be very cramped and blurry on a SD TV but It still works to some degree. HDTV or a compatible computer monitor is recommended. I am using a Sony 30" 1080i CRT HDTV. Searching craigslist/ebay you can find a halfway decent used HDTV for under 500 bucks. I bought mine for $250 last spring.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rocker
i'm waiting for rsx support first.
I doubt sony will ever permit that because if you could run more modern PC games on your PS3 how would you help sony subsidize the cost of their system. With out RSX support there is still enough overhead that you can run PC games from up until the mid 90's (e.g. duke nukem 3d, quake II, starcraft).

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 20th April 2008 at 16:12.
Old 20th April 2008, 17:48   #5
Vie
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by EfaustuS9
[B]B, the display will be very cramped and blurry on a SD TV but It still works to some degree. HDTV or a compatible computer monitor is recommended. I am using a Sony 30" 1080i CRT HDTV. Searching craigslist/ebay you can find a halfway decent used HDTV for under 500 bucks. I bought mine for $250 last spring.
Don't want an HDTV and cant really afford to spend £125 on something I don't want. Was thinking of getting a TV in card with a HDMI input, but not sure there is such a card.

Old 20th April 2008, 17:55   #6
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Then why don't you just hook your PS3 to your monitor? I have my 360 hooked up to one (via VGA), so I'm sure the Playstation can do it.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 18:02   #7
Vie
Forum King

Don't have the adaptor and it would still be in the normal resolution rather than the larger monitor-like resolution available from the HDMI socket.

Old 20th April 2008, 19:02   #8
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
Don't have the adaptor and it would still be in the normal resolution rather than the larger monitor-like resolution available from the HDMI socket.
True if you used composite to VGA. Also the HDMI standard requires handshaking between the two devices and after doing a quick Google search it seems an intermediary that would cover the handshake and convert HDMI to VGA would cost almost as much as a used HDTV. So maybe a Component to VGA converter would get you a usable HD resolution (720P, 1280x720) with out breaking the bank.

like this one here desined for that exact intent for $24.00 or ~ £12.00. It looks like it even comes with sony's proprietary AV hook up for analog outputs(composite/component).

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 20th April 2008 at 19:30.
Old 20th April 2008, 23:16   #9
Vie
Forum King

The standard sony AV hook up only gives you the lower resolution, ie the normal TV quality. You have to use the HDMI port for larger res that would be useful.

Found something that should do the job though, it handshakes with the HDMI port on the PS3 and sends the signal on to the Monitor, now just need to rig up an audio adaptor and I'm sorted.

Old 21st April 2008, 00:10   #10
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
The standard sony AV hook up only gives you the lower resolution, ie the normal TV quality.
Thats not completely true Vie the AV hook up is for analog signals. Better analog cables (e.g. component) have a higher bandwidth and thus can support HD resolutions provided your television/monitor supports it. The PS3 comes with composite aka RCA cables that can transmit a "normal" TV signal of 480i (or 576i for Europeans). You can however buy ps2/ps3 component cables for you ps3 which will support HD resolutions. In fact the First generation of xbox360 didn't have HDMI outputs and used component cables for Hi-def output. Also if you are using the optical out on your ps3 yellow dog will recognize it. Maybe that will help your audio issue with the device you are considering.

References;
Component Video wikipedia
EngadgetHD xbox360

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 21st April 2008 at 00:49.
Old 11th May 2008, 09:53   #11
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

I updated the guide as well as added a few more videos to youtube;

Playstation 3 running MAME

Playstation 3 running yet more emulators

Playstation 3 Shoutcast through surround sound
Attached Files
File Type: txt yellowdoglinux.txt (11.1 KB, 2171 views)

Old 11th May 2008, 13:02   #12
zootm
Forum King

It's a pity that they cripple the hardware capabilities (or so I hear) when running Linux on the PS3. Cool though!

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2008, 16:26   #13
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
It's a pity that they cripple the hardware capabilities (or so I hear) when running Linux on the PS3. Cool though!
Im not sure what you mean by that. if you mean that installing linux on the ps3 requires hardware/software modification that afflicts the regular ps3 functionality then not so. Its actually a feature supported by sony, if you look in the settings of the xmb you'll notice an "install other os" option. Once installed you can toggle between the two operating systems. If you mean that linux does not have full access to the playstation hardware then yes that is true. Yet there is still plenty of overhead to run older consoles, PC games, and do some light browsing.

Old 11th May 2008, 16:31   #14
zootm
Forum King

They don't allow Linux distributions to access the full capabilities of the machine, presumably to avoid people putting out free games which are of similar calibre to real games or (even more likely) to stop people using the system for piracy. I'll see if I can dig out a source.

Edit: Ok, only 6 of the 7 SPEs are available (no biggy) and the PS3's hypervisor restricts all access to the RSX GPU, making it effectively useless for gaming. There's apparently an effort to jailbreak the hypervisor but that page is timing out for me at the moment. Google cached text version kinda works.

Old 11th May 2008, 16:49   #15
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm

Edit: Ok, only 6 of the 7 SPEs are available (no biggy) and the PS3's hypervisor restricts all access to the RSX GPU, making it effectively useless for gaming. There's apparently an effort to jailbreak the hypervisor but that page is timing out for me at the moment. Google cached text version kinda works.
yup, quite true like I said in my previous post Linux does not have full access to the playstation hardware. As you mentioned with out full access to the RSX it limits your ability to run newer PC games. You can still run PC games up to the likes of starcraft and Quake II but until some sharp programs use the 6 SPE's to emulate OpenGL or until we are freed from the hypervisor that's as good as it will get.

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 11th May 2008 at 17:40.
Old 11th May 2008, 16:51   #16
zootm
Forum King

Well there is a software version of OpenGL, but I'm not sure that it'd gel well with the SPEs. That's all I was referencing, anyway.

Old 11th May 2008, 23:15   #17
White Raven
Little Winged One

And you can still play PS3 games on it, I assume?
Pardon me for not knowing too much about these $500 consoles. @_O

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 05:28   #18
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by White Raven
And you can still play PS3 games on it, I assume?
Pardon me for not knowing too much about these $500 consoles. @_O
yup, linux and the sony xmb coexist quite happily. If take a look at the first screen shot in my original post you'll notice the "boot game os" option. That will put you back into the ps3 xmb. Also if you watch this video at the end of it I switch back to the xmb form linux.oh and you can get one new for ~$400 now and used one for ~$300.

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 12th May 2008 at 06:03.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:07   #19
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by EfaustuS9
True if you used composite to VGA. Also the HDMI standard requires handshaking between the two devices and after doing a quick Google search it seems an intermediary that would cover the handshake and convert HDMI to VGA would cost almost as much as a used HDTV. So maybe a Component to VGA converter would get you a usable HD resolution (720P, 1280x720) with out breaking the bank.

like this one here desined for that exact intent for $24.00 or ~ £12.00. It looks like it even comes with sony's proprietary AV hook up for analog outputs(composite/component).
Wait-- Sony doesn't sell an official VGA cable?!? There goes my hopes of ever getting a PS3 because VGA is the only way I can hook up my consoles... (I have a component to VGA converter, but the picture quality doesn't come close to true VGA.)

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 22:08   #20
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

I think Vie found one. ask him for specifics.

Old 12th May 2008, 23:38   #21
Vie
Forum King

I found an adaptor that turns a HDMI signal into a VGA one, but you also need a HDMI to DVI adaptor or leed. Works rather well, probably better with a widescreen monitor since "HD" resolutions are all widescreen ratios for some reason.

Old 24th May 2008, 06:40   #22
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Just posted a new video showing dualshock and sixaxis wireless functionality in yellow dog linux.

Playing Killer Instinct via snes9x using ds3 wirelessly

also heres a direct link to my newest guide;

YDL6 guide

this one is hosted else where so when I update it the same link will get you the newest version.

Old 4th August 2008, 07:37   #23
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

New video's

Multi-Tasking in Yellow Dog Linux using Fluxbox

5 things you can do with linux on your ps3

Old 2nd January 2009, 06:22   #24
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

Made a new video with a walk through (see description) for a work around to get youtube working on YDL.

check it out

Old 23rd February 2009, 07:56   #25
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

New video playing starcraft on the ps3 under windows 95 in yellow dog linux.

check it out

Old 24th February 2009, 14:09   #26
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
Why don't people just play games on thier PS3s

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
cooky560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 16:09   #27
EfaustuS9
Major Dude

If you watched the last video, or most of my yellow dog videos, you can see I am playing games on my ps3. I suppose you meant ps3 games. I have a gamefly account so Im frequently playing ps3 games on it. I usually mess around with the linux feature while I wait for the gamefly to ship me the next game. Besides its a nice sony supported feature just to mess around with.

There are other windows apps you can run like ********** if starcraft is not your thing.

Last edited by EfaustuS9; 24th February 2009 at 16:27.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:23   #28
P$ycHo™
Flakmonkey!

Quote:
Originally posted by cooky560
Why don't people just play games on thier PS3s

because ps3 games are slightlyoverpriced?
P$ycHo™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions