Old 19th July 2003, 08:59   #1
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

1.04 beta 3

Beta 3 is here:

http://www.geisswerks.com/t/milkdrop_104_beta_3.zip

Now song titles, custom messages, and sprites work again. Also, those extra per-frame variables I mentioned are in. They are:

booleans: (0/1)
wave_usedots, wave_thick, wave_additive, wave_brighten, darken_center, wrap, invert, brighten, darken, solarize.

floats:
gamma (~1), echo_zoom (~1), echo_alpha (0..1)

integers:
echo_orient (0,1,2,3)

stuff fixed since beta 2:
-------------------------
1) new features:
-internal texture size now has a little more bias toward a finer texture,
based on the window size, when set to 'Auto'. (Before, for example,
to reach 1024x1024, the window had to be 768x768 or greater; now, it
only has to be 640x640 (25% of the way there). I adjusted it because
before, at in-between resolutions like 767x767, it looked very grainy;
now it will always look nice and crisp, at any window size, but still
won't cause too much aliasing (due to downsampling for display).
-added kill keys:
-CTRL+K kills all running sprites
-CTRL+T kills current song title anim
-CTRL+Y kills current custom message
-notice to sprite users:
-in milk_img.ini, color key can't be a range anymore; it's
now limited to just a single color. 'colorkey_lo' and
'colorkey_hi' have been replaced with just one setting,
'colorkey'.
2) fixes:
-song titles + custom messages are working again
-reverted dumb changes to aspect ratio stuff
-reverted wave_y fix; now it's backwards, just like it's always been
(i.e. for wave's y position, 0=bottom and 1=top, which is opposite
to the convention in the rest of milkdrop. decided to keep the
'bug' so presets don't need modified.)
-fixed?: crashes on window resize [out of mem]
-Rova: BTW the same bug as krash with the window resizing.
-NOT due to the 'integrate w/winamp' option.
-> might be fixed now (had forgotten to release m_lpDDSText)
-fixed: Krash: Inconsistency bug - pressing Escape while in the code windows
for custom waves completely takes you out of the editing menus,
rather than back to the custom wave menu
-when editing code: fix display of '&' character
-fixed: rova:
When creating presets have commented code // in the per_pixel section when cause error in preset.
Example nothing in per_frame and just comments in the per_pixel. EXamples on repuest I have a few.
-fixed: spectrum w/512 samples + 256 separation -> infinite spike

------------------

mstress, I can't reproduce the problem with the gamma... anyone else seeing it?

also, I can't reproduce idiot's milkdrop-freezes-at-the-end-of-each-song; can anyone else?

sm: "or at least maybe you can have a top of list button and bottom of list button." -it already has this, use home & end, and page up and page down move you up/down quickly.. but great idea about repeatedly hitting 'S'... I will probably put that in for the final. =)

Let me know if you guys can now resize the window. If not I have some serious thinking to do. =)

Oh, and a note about beta 3: desktop/fullscreen might be really slow if you have song titles auto-launching. I'm working (hard) on it. Text is slow in general; I gotta crack this one.

Hope this release fixes some probs...

And thanks for everyone's feedback!

Cheers,
Ryan

{Changed the title to 1.04 beta3 not 1.03 Beta 3 as Ryan wrote. - Rovastar)
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2003, 12:05   #2
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Abpout to downlaod.

I to can get idiots freezing atr the end of a song on a laptop with a savage card. V. strange.

My own 1.3Ghz AMD with GF4Ti has some strange problems where I have to exit winamp (alt f4) after I press escape to exit MD. MD just freezes. The fcus seems to get all messd up and I have to quit wa.

Sorry it sounds patchy but nothing I can really put my finger on as to exactly why at this stage.

Oh using DX9 btw so maybe something tpo do with this. bDUnno more detaisl later
/edit don't know about the new version. Sorry on a hungover rant. IGnore comments until I have tested further.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2003, 12:13   #3
Rovastar

OK not even run it yet and a bug.

Cannot remeber if this was in aprevious version or not but I cannot change teh mesh size to 64x48 it doesn't save the settings. All other settings are saved.

When I click on configure it revert back to the previous mesh sixe.

Resizing windows is fine now BTW

Old 19th July 2003, 12:19   #4
Krash
Major Dude

Resizing windowed mode works - good job.

Any chance of wordwrapping the song titles? It adjusts the font size, but only to a limit, after which the title gets cut off.

Proper rendering of '&' - excellent.

Can't complain about anything else. It's excellent having fast framerates again - now everyone can see the rainpainting2 presets in all their glory - set it to 9fps or so, and it's gorgeous. Maybe even package one with the beta?

Can't think of anything else right now - great work =]

- Krash

Eighty-three percent of all statistical quotes are made up on the spot.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2003, 12:22   #5
Rovastar

The shapes look squashed. But I am rather hungover atm .

Make a massive circle (32 sides) and view in fullscreen. I think you have accounted for 4:3 ratio with the shapes. Surely his needs to be 1:1.

Old 19th July 2003, 12:36   #6
Krash
Major Dude

I think something might have changed with wavetype 6.
Digital Flame doesn't work in it's current state (in which wave_x is set to 0). Set wave_x to 1, and the waveform goes to where it's supposed to be. Don't know why this would have changed

- Krash

Old 19th July 2003, 12:42   #7
Rovastar

OK invert does not work.

Old 19th July 2003, 15:03   #8
Krash
Major Dude

something's changed to make the Noughts and Crosses presets not work right. After all the work Telek and I put into it, I really think it should be packaged with 1.04, and in full working order... not sure exactly what it is, but some of the implementation of wave types is not the same, I think.
The last version of noughts and crosses, with the random endings, doesn't even draw the circles right... perhaps the number of user variables is smaller?

- Krash

Old 19th July 2003, 16:06   #9
Rovastar

For waveform 7 the Y valves arew reversed also. (I think , it is wrong anyway)
The Y value is used for the distance between the 2 lines.

Old 19th July 2003, 16:10   #10
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
This isn't good - I can't seem to run beta3 at all - executing it in any mode causes Winamp to crash (illegal operation).

v1.04beta2 worked fine, and so do Geiss II and Monkey. My video card is an ancient Voodoo3 2000 PCI.

(edit: Just to confirm, this happens in all resolutions, and in desktop mode, fullscreen and windowed mode.)
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2003, 16:43   #11
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Update on the 'freeze after song' bug. Now it dosen't freeze after the first song I play (atleast sometimes it dosen't) and if it dosen't freeze, the winamp controls (z,x,c,v, and b) don't work. and in windowed mode space and any other MD controls don't work and I have to 'ctrl-alt-delete' and close winamp. But in fullscreen if it still works after the song, space still works fine, and I can esc to leave.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2003, 16:52   #12
Telek

Restarts, value2 big, changes to t1-t8

I had beta 3 instantly restart my computer twice (once to fullscreen, once to windowed). I'm running winamp 2.81 BTW.

I still get the weird fluctuations with frame rate, too. I do have a refresh rate of 60Hz, so the fact that the frame rate doesn't get above this isn't a huge concern. I do get frequent pauses in the music in some circumstances (large windowed mode (greater than around 400x600), when song progress displayed,...) and a lot of the time I get occasional pauses, just when running desktop @1152x864x75Hz@30fps).
For the record, I'm running P4 2.4Ghz, XPPro, DX8.1, WA2.81, 256Mb RAM, GF4MX440. (edit: and when I mean I get 30fps, I mean EXACTLY- like it's being limited to 30fps, or 60, or 20 or 12, or what ever my MD decides it's going to do next. However the times when I get pauses in the visuals, the fps is not usually a round number like this... )

Also I think there's something up with value2 in custom wave forms.
Take a look at the attached preset. There should be two waveforms at the base of the screen, but only 1 is visible. Change the first line in per_pixel for custom_wave_2, to refer to value1 instead of value2, and everythings peachy!?

Also i've noticed that the variable t1-t8 now work differently in terms of their persistence.
Beta2: If t1 set in custom wave initialisation code, per pixel would recieve the same value at the start of each frame.
Beta3: per pixel receives the value of t1 from the end of the last frame (as it should). As such this isn't a bug, just an observation, so don't change it back or anything...

Ok, that's my piece,

"Man with one chopstick go hungry"
Attached Files
File Type: zip value2bug.zip (1.5 KB, 139 views)

Telek Sterling
Dilettante Extraordinaire
Telek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2003, 05:57   #13
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I have P2.4ghz 512 megs ram, winamp 2.91, directx 9a and ati 9700 with 3.5 drivers and they just came out with 3.6 just some fixes, no performance improvments this time. I am not having any problem with crashing or slowing down with text just the normal and the only thing I notice is a little performance drop in the fps. I am having the crashing on the custom waves again though (turning them up or down). SM

Last edited by StudioMusic; 20th July 2003 at 06:43.
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2003, 18:46   #14
Rozzor

I've also been having scroll lock problems, usually when Milkdrop crashes (it's crashing more now, Milkdrop 1.03 was really stable on my machine), but once, I'm pretty sure, when I used escape to get out of Milkdrop. I have to reboot when that happens in order to get scrollock to work again.

Still not fixed is the problem of MilkDrop not "remembering" the F2-F6 settings it had when it closed like it did in v1.03. It is not that much trouble for me to hit F4, F5, and F6 to clear text from the screen when I first launch the program, but I thought I would remind you about it anyway.

Thanks again! Milkdrop is *really* important to me. It is so much fun to code presets and they look gorgeous.
Rozzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2003, 19:08   #15
Rovastar

Roozer do you have to reboot or does ALt F4 work to quit winamp???

Old 20th July 2003, 19:17   #16
Rozzor

Alt-F4 works fine, but the issue is not exiting winamp, the issue is getting scroll lock to work once I get back into milkdrop. Next time it happens I will be very sure that once I completely exit winamp that I have the scroll lock off before I go back in, but if my memory serves even that did not help. I go back into milkdrop and scroll lock does not work to lock a preset. So I reboot.
Old 20th July 2003, 22:25   #17
Rozzor

OK, I freely and frankly admit that I was probably wrong to reboot, that I might have been hitting scroll lock while looking at a red preset name when I should have been looking at the yellow preset that was actually showing.

But it can be very confusing when you escape out of Milkdrop and the scroll lock light is left on. If you quit winamp, you have to hit the scrollock key twice for the light to turn off. If you stay in winamp and go immediately back into milkdrop the scroll light stays on but hit l and then downarrow and it turns off and everything acts normally. Turn the scrollock on, escape, hit scrollock once, the light stays on, go back into milkdrop, hit scrollock, the lock goes off and everything acts normally. Etc.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 21st July 2003, 04:09   #18
Rozzor

Telek, go to your problem preset (it's cool, btw) and put 11 as the L/R separation. I'm not saying that value2 isn't broken, just that L/R separation makes a difference in its value.

Gosh, learning to use waveforms is hard. We should start a how-to thread in the preset forum.
Old 21st July 2003, 05:00   #19
Rozzor

OK I'm posting too much but I can't seem to stop myself.

The attached preset has me puzzled. I have no idea if the custom wave is acting as it should or not. One wierd thing about this one is that the right side looks different depending on whether the L/R separation is odd or even.
Attached Files
File Type: zip today\'s puzzler.zip (1,011 Bytes, 147 views)
Old 21st July 2003, 15:41   #20
Rozzor

Also Milkdrop crashed once on window resizing for me. Get an old feeble machine, load up a nice everything-but-the-kitchen-sink preset, and resize repeatedly to replicate.
Old 21st July 2003, 21:11   #21
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Milkdrop never crashed on me on window resizing. What are system specs rozzer? SM
Old 21st July 2003, 21:33   #22
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Krash, I am sorry I am drunk again, but I will be gone for a while and hopefully geiss does not come out with the next version until I am able to analyze the next version. Me and christie are leaving. SM
Old 22nd July 2003, 07:43   #23
Rozzor

This evening I must have resized the window a hundred times before I got it to crash. This time it had an error message: "Error creating D3DX"

This is not a big problem. More frequent and still not a big problem is how both Milkdrop and Winamp hang after running untended for a couple hours. That doesn't happen all the time.

Now, don't laugh, I have a Pentium II, 320 mB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX/MX 400.
Old 22nd July 2003, 17:07   #24
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Were back now, Rozzer p2 what (processor power)? No new version yet? Can not wait. MD is the best. Have not had a crash resizeing window mode yet. But bad crash when adjusting parameters in the custom waves turning them way up or down, anyone else with this prob? SM
Old 22nd July 2003, 22:15   #25
StudioMusic
Major Dude

I am in the same boat as Illusion on my laptop, Just found out MD don't run at all (pluging executed illegal operation). Hope beta four resolves this, back to beta 2 for now on the laptop. SM
Old 23rd July 2003, 03:50   #26
Krash
Major Dude

Graphical glitch with song titles.

And I'm teaching myself 3d waveforms...

- Krash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glitch.jpg (30.7 KB, 160 views)

Old 23rd July 2003, 05:04   #27
Potato Demon

Send a message via AIM to Potato Demon
I love you , oh I love you!
Potato Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2003, 07:08   #28
Krash
Major Dude

this is more a request than a bug, but I figure this thread is more likely to be looked at, so I'll ask here =]

access to the number of samples of the custom waveforms from within their per_frame code. Obviously have the value clipped between 2 and 512. This could allow one simple pair of equations (to draw a circle) able to draw any regular polygon, changeable on the fly by altering one value.

- Krash

Old 23rd July 2003, 16:44   #29
mstress

Send a message via ICQ to mstress
AAAAAAAAARRRRRGHHHH

I replced files of beta2 with beta3 ones and when I turned on milkdrop my Win XP crashed ...and now it don't want to start anymore!!!
After the loading screen a blank (and black) screen appears and everything stop.....
I'm writing this post with my work desktop PC.....
I'm trying to restore the configuration in "temporary mode"...
but....what can be happened!?!??!
mstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2003, 17:01   #30
Krash
Major Dude

I think I found part of the reason why Mine and Telek's Noughts and Crosses presets don't work right - 1.04 doesn't handle user variables in quite the same way as 1.03. For starters, in 1.03, it was possible to define user variables in init, and use them in per_frame and per_pixel - i.e., the init section could output user variables.

Secondly, and it's a related problem, the user varibles don't seem to carry over from frame to frame in quite the same way as they used to. If you monitor the user variable "mode" in the noughts and crosses presets, it will change every so often in 1.03 (as noughts and crosses are taking turns) but in 1.04, it changes every frame. Perhaps the number of user variables isn't as high, and that's why it doesn't work? (you added in extra standard variables, perhaps you didn't increase the total allocated memory for variables accordingly?)

- Krash

Old 23rd July 2003, 17:15   #31
mstress

Send a message via ICQ to mstress
Re: 1.04 beta 3

Quote:
Originally posted by geiss
mstress, I can't reproduce the problem with the gamma... anyone else seeing it?
I verified that the problem is only present in 16bit full screen mode (RGB-565).
It is very visible with "KRASH - 3D Shapes demo" preset.

I resolved the problem with win XP crash...but I dunno how I did it....
mstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2003, 18:07   #32
Zylot
Major Dude

Beta2 worked fine, Beta3 is not working at all, I get a black screen when i run fullscreen and illegal ops in windowed mode every time.

Voodoo3 is the card

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2003, 02:53   #33
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
Must be some incompatability with the Voodoo3 card Zylot, as I mentioned earlier I have the same card, and still cannot run beta3, whereas beta2 ran fine.

Just confirming again that this happens in all modes, and occurs with both DirectX 8.1, and DirectX 9.0, on Win98SE..
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2003, 03:16   #34
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Well I have Ati card in my laptop and win XP and it happens on that too. But beta 2 works fine though. On my desktop they all work. Buy the way every single version of MD since the begining at 0.99 has worked wonderfully on my laptop except this last beta. SM
Old 24th July 2003, 04:19   #35
Naruto

I have a ProSavage Video Card 32MB Video Ram with XP Pro SP1 and 640MB System Ram. I have the same problem as some of you do. The problem is either MilkDrop won't start (illegal opp error) or that a STOP error happens after a song finishes and causes you to restart or causes a BSOD. I found that the source of the problem is when I click on "T" to bring up the title it crashes (or restarts if you have your PC set to restart on stop errors) this problem happens both in full screen or windowed mode. So if you have MilkDrop set up to show the title at the start of each song it will not start (illegal operation error) and if you turn it off be sure not to click "T" or you get a stop error. Hope that helps.
Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2003, 07:11   #36
Zylot
Major Dude

Stop error eh? How do I make it stop restarting my comp, cause i think I get a stop error on my favourite DDR sim and I'l like to just stop the prog instead of having the whole comp restart

-------------
What do you wish for?
--Instrumentality
Zylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2003, 10:24   #37
Reenen

Crashes here too

I downloaded beta3 and it crashed in every mode every time. Except once... I ran it 640x480x32, and a 512x512 mesh size in fullscreen... but after that it crashed everytime there too.

Milkdrop has made an internal error (cant verbatim the error),
restart of winamp is recommended.

Winamp still runs fine, but milkdrop crashes.

Old winamp... 2.76 (I think), I'll upgrade today, DX 9, PCI TNT, p200 48 RAM, newish drivers (I really do not know what exactly).

I also get the sound distortion problem that is discussed in a different thread here.

-Reenen
Reenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2003, 23:17   #38
Naruto

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylot
Stop error eh? How do I make it stop restarting my comp, cause i think I get a stop error on my favourite DDR sim and I'l like to just stop the prog instead of having the whole comp restart
No when you get a Stop error you still have to restart because its the BSOD in Windows 2000/XP the default is to restart but you can change it to show the error in System Properties.
Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2003, 02:46   #39
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

holy shit! that's a lot of crashing. I found several things that were likely the culprits. and fixed a lot of other stuff munged in the DX7->DX8 port.

check the new thread for the link to download 1.04 beta 4, and to post [or reaffirm] bug findings:

NEW THREAD FOR 1.04 BETA 4:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=143500

and let's move the discussion there as usual.

thanks everyone, for all the awesome help & feedback.

peace,
ryan
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum