Old 27th January 2009, 04:29   #1
trh222

question importing itunes database

I use the latest v. of winamp on Windows XP. I have used Winamp for years but have always used itunes to sync my ipod.
I would love to have the metadata (ratings, playcounts) imported to Winamp.
I was searching around the forum and found some threads on the ml impex and another one called 'Export.UI-1.4.zip' from SourceForge.
I installed the ml impex but I read on the thread that it did not work with newer versions of winamp. This thread is from 2006 though, so is this still an issue?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....=import+itunes

Also, when clicking 'import database...' it wants to know where to find the xml file. Is this in the root directory of the itunes folder? basically, where do I find this xml file?
lastly (sorry)... I have much more music in winamp media library than in itunes. Do these have to be mirror images of one another for this to work correctly?
thanks,
Tim
trh222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 04:55   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I'd recommend using 5.55 public beta, which now comes with the latest version of ml_impex included.

Sorry, I don't use iTunes so don't know where to find the xml file.
At a guess, it'll be in a subfolder of the %appdata% dir somewhere...

Edit: praises be to google
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

[Edit -> March 2009]

Naturally, be sure to be using Winamp 5.551 release, not 5.55 beta,
(or whatever is the latest version of Winamp at the time)
as someone has revived this old thread...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2009, 04:12   #3
trh222

thanks for the link DJ Egg,

That's what I thought. that is was in the itunes folder somewhere. I guess I'll try to import it keep my fingers crossed that the play counts and ratings make it over
trh222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 19:00   #4
nevinl

Replace the comment field with "rating=_"

Quote:
Originally posted by trh222
thanks for the link DJ Egg,

That's what I thought. that is was in the itunes folder somewhere. I guess I'll try to import it keep my fingers crossed that the play counts and ratings make it over

One of the best comment tips that I ever got was this...I'll pass it along. It assumes that you keep most of your mp3s to yourself and don't trade with others...It also assumes that you want to destroy the contents of the id3 comment field.

Rate your files using whatever app you want. Then, add "rating=5" to the comment field for 5/5 rated songs, "rating=4" for 4/5, etc. This can be applied en-mass to your library within Winamp by right-clicking all of the songs you want, then select "Edit selected items...". Winamp will pull up a window, only put rating=X into the comment box. Blank out any comment fields in advance if you want by doing an Edit selected items->comment box of "" or "rating=".

That way, no matter WHAT happens to your library, each FILE has the rating that you applied to it. No worries =) =) =)

You can even do a Search of "?rating=4" to pull them all up, for instance. Add the "Comment" column to the MLibrary to make it easier, too. Unfortunately, iTunes [sucks, imho], but they can't do commenting of the files en-mass. But it all works out in the end =)

This ID3 tagging process can also be scripted easily (eg, via Perl) using standard tagging methods.

Technical issues that might arise:
1) files are read-only. Make them read-write in Windows Explorere
2) files may be too damaged for tagging. Confirm which it is, then try the edit again
3) rating=_ has NOTHING to do with the MLibrary or iTunes library file. It is only a field (which you made standardized...it could be JoeBlowRating=1 or WifeRating=5,HusbandRating=1). Don't expect miracles, but expect your ratings to be preserved.

Best of luck!!!

Last edited by nevinl; 16th March 2009 at 19:21.
nevinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 22:13   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeah, that was one of my age-old tips from the FAQ.

In 5.55+ you can use the Category field instead of Comments
(eg. some people might not want to lose existing Comments)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support