Old 11th January 2009, 15:07   #81
LePousson

I just had a weird problem; even if it is not really a problem ..

I had 2 sets of 5 songs to upload to iTouch, I dragged the first set into the Library and the status windows showed that the 5 songs were copied successfully. Same thing for the second set.

But, while I have all the first set songs, I miss one of the second set. I had to copy it to the iTouch separately.

Weird :-(

LePousson
LePousson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 18:55   #82
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by LePousson
But, while I have all the first set songs, I miss one of the second set. I had to copy it to the iTouch separately.

Weird :-(
Weird indeed. I have no explanation for that, absolutely none.

WinAmp Pro 5.5 with ml_iPod 3.10 + dev.patches (download it)
ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Donations to support the ml_iPod project can be done HERE
abu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2009, 19:08   #83
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by fatcerberus1
Hold on: There are still a few minor issues, mainly related to sorting. While the iPod does display (and play!) the songs, the touch appears to handle sorting quite a bit differently from the older iPods. This causes issues with the current way ml_iPod writes the database. For example, in the Songs menu, I have a listing that looks like the following (letters in brackets are sort group headings):

[C]:
A Cautionary Song
[D]:
A Drop in the Ocean
[M]:
A Million Light Years Away
A Moment of Time
[A]:
Abandoned, Please, Brainwashed, Exploited

And the same thing in the T section, with multiple groupings for each letter after "The". And this is true not only in the Songs menu, but all the menus. This is different behavior from the other models; it looks like the iPod itself is giving these titles special treatment (and not only "the [whatever]" this time, but also "A [whatever]").
Oh yeah, they changed it again! I'm so pi***d off by this.
Actually, the iTouch seems to have this hardcoded, it ignores "the", "a" and "an" for displaying the header letter, no matter what the sort order is.
It is implemented quite inconsistently though: If I remove all sorting information from the database, the iTouch does the sorting itself - just like the older iPods. But guess what? It messes it up, too. "The cure" is sorted under "T" in this case, but the header for "C" is displayed in the list Not even Apple themselves do it right!

Anyway, I found a way to write the data just the way the header algorithm needs, it's in p08. Thanks for the hint.

ml_iPod documentation Wiki - ml_iPod FAQ - search ml_iPod forum - iPhone/iTouch - Found a bug?
Old 12th January 2009, 02:14   #84
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Thanks, Abu. My iTouch works great now! Bye bye, iTunes (and foo_dop incidentally--I finally got Winamp to work from my thumbdrive )!

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 16:50   #85
fooeynet

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
Oh yeah, they changed it again! I'm so pi***d off by this.
Actually, the iTouch seems to have this hardcoded, it ignores "the", "a" and "an" for displaying the header letter, no matter what the sort order is.
It is implemented quite inconsistently though: If I remove all sorting information from the database, the iTouch does the sorting itself - just like the older iPods. But guess what? It messes it up, too. "The cure" is sorted under "T" in this case, but the header for "C" is displayed in the list Not even Apple themselves do it right!

Anyway, I found a way to write the data just the way the header algorithm needs, it's in p08. Thanks for the hint.
The sort order is working great on my Touch 2G w/2.2 in all the lists -- with the exception of one anomaly in Cover Flow: there, the albums are sorted in Artist order, but "The", "A", "An", etc. aren't taken into account. (So The Cure and The Beatles appear in the "T" section).

Otherwise, working great so far. Thanks for all the work you put into this.
fooeynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 19:07   #86
LePousson

Everything seems to be working great on my iTouch 2G/iPhone3G ...

However, I really hope that it will be soon possible to play the songs under WinAMP ...

Very well done Abu !!

LePousson
LePousson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 19:12   #87
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Originally posted by LePousson
However, I really hope that it will be soon possible to play the songs under WinAMP ...
So you want to play songs from the iPod that are not on your PC, right?
As a simple workaround, you can download them to the PC (to some temporary directory for example) with ml_ipod, and then play them in Winamp. Download from iTouch to PC works well, only the direct playing from the iTouch is not yet working. Did you try that method?

Last edited by abu; 12th January 2009 at 21:40.
Old 12th January 2009, 21:39   #88
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
Thanks, Abu. My iTouch works great now! Bye bye, iTunes (and foo_dop incidentally--I finally got Winamp to work from my thumbdrive )!
Did you test your foo_dop database with iTunes, did that work? Because with ml_iPod, iTunes refuses to process the database and asks you to restore the iPod

Old 12th January 2009, 22:44   #89
nathan_h

Yeah I just found this out. I thought I could use Winamp on one machine and iTunes on another machine... no problem. But since installing ml_ipod, I cannot use the iTunes machine any longer
nathan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 02:49   #90
nathan_h

Correction: It wasn't anything related to foo_dop in my case, but just mo_ipod usage, albeit with the flac enhancement, that created the corrupt database.
nathan_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 02:51   #91
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by abu
Did you test your foo_dop database with iTunes, did that work? Because with ml_iPod, iTunes refuses to process the database and asks you to restore the iPod
Yes, incidentally... after foo_dop implemented iTouch 2G support, I only used iTunes with it once more, to update the firmware (it came with 2.1), and iTunes accepted the foo_dop database without complaint. It even allowed me to play the songs!

Windows 7 Beta
Old 13th January 2009, 12:02   #92
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Interesting, I can't get this to work. And I have to do some serious work now (no more ml_ipod for the next days...)

Old 13th January 2009, 14:09   #93
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Tested again with your foo_dop database, iTunes doesn't work with it here (8.0.2.20) Could you test that again with foo_dop, please.

Old 13th January 2009, 14:24   #94
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Hold on, have to install iTunes and foobar again...

Windows 7 Beta
Old 13th January 2009, 15:04   #95
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Okay, I just tested it again. I first synced with ml_iPod and then opened iTunes. As expected, it rejected the database and told me I should restore. Then I opened foobar2000 and had foo_dop rewrite the database. Opened iTunes again; no error this time and all my songs showed up. Here's a screenshot:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...us1/Image1.jpg

So now I'm wondering if the foo_dop database I attached earlier had already been tainted by ml_iPod by the time I made the backup...

Hold on and I'll try to get an untouched foo_dop database.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 13th January 2009, 15:10   #96
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Okay, here's what should hopefully be an untainted foo_dop database (I'm assuming that ml_iPod doesn't even modify the shadow copy when the iPod is in read-only mode...). I've double- and triple-checked, and iTunes definitely accepts it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ipod-c-2009-01-13-1009.zip (82.6 KB, 147 views)

Windows 7 Beta
Old 13th January 2009, 16:01   #97
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Maybe I'll have a look at it tonight.
Might be quite tricky, as ml_ipod does not write several parts of the iTunesDB that iTunes does - it was always optional, some of them are still unknown what they are for. And it's all binary data, not easy to delete part of it to test which part causes the problem. Really not a nice job at all. Let's see where we'll get.

One of the problems of course is that the serial number of the device is used to create the hash. So, if I only copy it to my iTouch, even the iPod says "no music". I have to touch the database and rewrite the hash. Maybe there are some more consistency checks in iTunes, I don't know. Might even be that the other database files (ArtworkDB...) are taken into account, too.

Old 13th January 2009, 16:11   #98
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

You have an iTouch with firmware 2.0+, right? So why not try with foo_dop yourself? Then you wouldn't have to rewrite the database, since the serial number would match.

Windows 7 Beta
Old 13th January 2009, 19:39   #99
abu
mlipod moderator
(Senior Member)

Quote:
You have an iTouch with firmware 2.0+, right? So why not try with foo_dop yourself? Then you wouldn't have to rewrite the database, since the serial number would match.
Sure, I just wanted to avoid another installation of a tool I don't need (just like iTunes) If it doesn't work with your file, I'll go that path.

Old 10th February 2009, 11:21   #100
Neilda

I rarely post here because it's all too technical!

However I have a purchased copy of Winamp (5.5.41) - and it works just fine. I needed Winamp because following some sort of automated update from Apple, itunes will not run on my pc at all. Quicktime won't run either - they both crash before loading. I've tried everything and itunes is impossible to run.

So Winamp handles my fairly large (35,000 tunes) collection.

However, even with the new ipod patch (V3_08), my itouch is still not recognised by Winamp - my other 3 ipods (family Nanos) work beautifully; but not the itouch.

I can't really tell you what 'version' my itouch is, it says 1.1.4 (4A102) under 'about' but that's as much as I know.

Is there something I'm doing or need to do to make Winamp see my itouch?

EDIT - IT WORKS!!!! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I did this (from the Wiki):

* Download the iTunes 7.4.2 installer exe
* Rename iTunes742Setup.exe to iTunes742Setup.zip
* Open iTunesSetup.zip in Winzip or your favorite zip manager
* Inside, there are some *.msi files
* Doubleclick the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi and install it (use defaults for everything)
* Doubleclick the QuickTime.msi and install it (use defaults for everything)
* If you don't mind having all the QuickTime stuff on your PC, you're done
* If you don't want to have QuickTime on the PC: Simply copy QTMLClient.dll and QuickTime.qts from C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem to your "Program files\Winamp\plugins\ml_ipod" folder, then uninstall QuickTime (via control panel, "Add/Remove programs") We only need these two files from the QuickTime package.

But importantly - followed the advice here:

"Carlos wrote:

I was trying to install your plugin without the full iTunes package, but upon running Winamp and connecting the iPhone, I received an error indicating that the device was unpaired. I looked at the code that calls this message box, and that gave me little insight on what went wrong.

After double-clicking on AppleMobileSync.exe in the Common Files\Apple Mobile Device Support\bin directory, it seemed to work. I think that doing this pairs the iPhone to the computer."

Carlos, whoever you are, genius!

I'm so pleased my itouch now works and will be donating my $5.

Thanks and sorry if I've wasted anyone's time with this post.

Last edited by Neilda; 10th February 2009 at 11:47.
Neilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 15:39   #101
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Neilda
"Carlos wrote:

I was trying to install your plugin without the full iTunes package, but upon running Winamp and connecting the iPhone, I received an error indicating that the device was unpaired. I looked at the code that calls this message box, and that gave me little insight on what went wrong.

After double-clicking on AppleMobileSync.exe in the Common Files\Apple Mobile Device Support\bin directory, it seemed to work. I think that doing this pairs the iPhone to the computer."

Carlos, whoever you are, genius!
Nice find, Neilda!

Hey Abu, any possibility to have ml_iPod automatically do this if it detects an unpaired device? Based on that path, it looks like AppleMobileSync.exe is part of AMDS, so there shouldn't be any problem...

Windows 7 Beta
Old 17th February 2009, 06:29   #102
xamphear

After swearing I wouldn't, now that mlipod works with the touch, I wound up getting one. Everything is working as advertised so far.

Had a problem where the touch filled up, the mlipod copy aborted gracefully, but then winamp crashed. This meant that the itunesdb file never got written, so I had to purge all the files and start over. Oh well.

So far I miss playing files straight from the device the most. I used this a lot when I attached my iPod to my work PC during the day. It's a shame that iphonefs appears to be dead in the water.

Thanks again, abu. Apple should thank you too, really, since it got me to buy another one of their damn iPods. It's probably time for another donation to you for the project, too.
xamphear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 20:10   #103
Neilda

Hmmm!

After being prompted by Winamp to upgrade to the latest version, I can no longer synch my itouch. It's not recognised at all...
Neilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion