Old 2nd May 2011, 08:23   #1
MasterMeNL

Memory usage too high with Hi-res cover/album image

Hello guys,

I've been using winamp for some years now and love it.
Never had any problem.
Recently I've noticed that memory usage goes pretty high with a hi-res cover.
No/lo/med-res cover = 60-80 mb.
Hi-res (2500x2500+) = 150+ mb
Sometimes it'll even get to 180+ mb
As you can see, the average memory about doubles.
I know that I can resize the images I use for cover, but those are so many.
I think winamp should resize the first time you play a song depending on your resolution, how big your album-picture thing is below your playlist and things like that.
Also, Winamp freezes for ~1 sec when loading a hi-res cover.

Is there any solution to this, I'm fine with some plugin or a plugin that can resize multiple image files at the same time.

EDIT: Just in case:
- Winamp 5.61 (x86)
- Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
- No plugins except some MP3 HD thingy.

Greetings,
Melvin.

Last edited by MasterMeNL; 2nd May 2011 at 11:21.
MasterMeNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:08   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
winamp doesn't seem all that interested in artwork. one thing i find annoying is that a user can't specify dimensions, art "large icon" in winamp is fairly small.

some kind of plugin that maybe caches and uses different sizes would be cool.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:12   #3
MasterMeNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
winamp doesn't seem all that interested in artwork. one thing i find annoying is that a user can't specify dimensions, art "large icon" in winamp is fairly small.

some kind of plugin that maybe caches and uses different sizes would be cool.
When you expand the playlist downwards, you can actually make the album picture bigger, but only the one which is in the bottom right.
Also, another thread about this can be found here.
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:44   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I have not tried this with winamp... but here is an idea....

Have a look at IrfanView (www.irfanview.com). It has the ability to Batch Resize images across a directory tree. You could use this program to resize all of your images in your Music folder to a standard size.

It can be told to resize all large images it finds to a smaller size, while skipping those that are already smaller than that target size.

It is not exactly perfect for this job as it will not rename the old image. It is designed to create new images with a new name. As long as you have backups of the highest res images you can instruct Irfanview to resize all images over a certain size and then overwrite the original.

It depends how important it is to you to keep copies of those 2500x2500 images.

Standard disclaimer - use at own risk and take a backup first
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 15:03   #5
MasterMeNL

Update:
Memory usage goes over 300 mb, freezing winamp 2-3 sec with 5000x5000+ res images.
Old 9th May 2011, 15:24   #6
DrO

considering a 5000x5000 image is going to be using about 100Mb of memory assuming it's been expanded to a ARGB32 encoding image as Winamp uses internally, going to 300MB doesn't seem as bad as it could be.

the higher the image resolution the more memory Winamp is going to be especially if multiple images are being displayed (and that's not taking into account other caching which is likely to be going on to improve display update times, etc which will lead to even move being used).

the freeze on loading is sort of expected as there is processing going on with the image when it is loaded which takes time, no matter how beefy the cpu is (though the more powerful the cpu then the less the 'freeze' will be).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 16:27   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

What resolution is your monitor? Why on earth do you need a 5000x5000 image? Is that a ho-res scan or something?

My monitor is a huge 24" thing... but even that can only display 1920x1200 dots. Think you may need to do a bit of resizing to make life a little more comfy
Old 9th May 2011, 17:06   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
i would def not use such images with winamp. squeezebox server might be something you want to look at, it does a lot of image resizing and caching as part of its scans.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 17:10   #9
MasterMeNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
What resolution is your monitor? Why on earth do you need a 5000x5000 image? Is that a ho-res scan or something?

My monitor is a huge 24" thing... but even that can only display 1920x1200 dots. Think you may need to do a bit of resizing to make life a little more comfy
They are indeed hi-res scans of the CD covers xP
I'll soon try to use IrfanView as suggested.
If that doesn't work, I might try Squeezebox Server as well.
EDIT: Too many images to resize manually, I need a program which only targets a certain filename (all the cover files are called cover.jpg/bnp/png ONLY) in a certain area.
I have photoshop/gimp, but resizing manually is a pain in the ass.

Greetings,
Melvin
Old 11th May 2011, 17:21   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Stash the HiRes originals for the scans on DVDs or something if you think you have a need for them. Then kick IrfanView into use.

If you need a hand sorting out that Irfanview Batch Conversion dialog box, let me know by posting back here. It is a great bit of kit once you get your head around it and a massive time saver for bulk image resizing like this. I often use it on whole folders of photographs to resize for sending by email.
Old 11th May 2011, 17:40   #11
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMeNL View Post
EDIT: Too many images to resize manually, I need a program which only targets a certain filename (all the cover files are called cover.jpg/bnp/png ONLY) in a certain area.
Just seen your "only resize cover.*" request. How many other images are in this directory tree that should not get resized?

IrfanView's GUI will easily grab ALL of the images in the directory tree and subfolders and whack them into a list The list can then be scrolled to remove the ones that you don't want to convert.

OR... a text file can be loaded up into that same window and these are the files to be converted. I expect a short batchfile script can be written to create that text file which only includes cover.*

OR... there is a command line way of doing this in IrfanView I have not tried before, but that implies it will handle pattern matching.
Old 11th May 2011, 18:10   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Don't even need to use a command line... from the IrfanView forums...
http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/show...subdirectories

1. Start Irfanview or Irfan Thumbnails
2. Hit Ctrl-F or Options->Search Files...
3. Filename pattern: cover.* and select the directory to search in with the 'Browse' button (e.g. D:\Archive\Music)
4. Hit 'Start Seach' button.
5. Check your results and remove any unwanted with the 'Remove from results' button.
6. Hit the 'Show all in Thumbnails' button and all your pictures should be present.
7. 'Ctrl-a' to select all and hit 'B' for batch mode.
8. Check "Batch conversion", "Batch rename" or "Batch conversion - Rename result files"
9. Select 'Output format': JPG
10. Select 'Options': I use 'Save quality' = 80% to reduce picture files size (not resolution)
11. Check the 'Use advanced options' and click the 'Advanced' button
12. Select at MISCELLANEOUS 'Overwrite existing files' and 'Create subfolders in the destination folder', and optional 'Save files with original date/time' and hit 'OK' WARNING: THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING FILES
MAKE SURE ANYTHING ELSE (e.g. CROP or RESIZE) IS NOT SELECTED AS IT WILL BE APPLIED ALSO!!!
13. Important: LEAVE THE OUTPUT DIRECTORY EMPTY!!!!!! If there is something there, click on it and backspace, delete or erase it.
14. Hit the 'Start Batch' button.

Personally I would also use the Resample switch to get a cleaner resize. And then choose your size in the advanced dialog box.

FIRST I would suggest you play with IrfanView in a folder of experimental images. See how it works. Once you are happy, then use the instructions above to resize all of the covers to settings of your choice.

Standard warnings of BACKUP FIRST and be careful

Edit: And thanks... this is another feature I have now learnt about in IrfanView. It keeps bringing up surprises that little gem of a program. Perfect accompaniment to GIMP\Photoshop.
Old 11th May 2011, 18:47   #13
MasterMeNL

Quote:
Don't even need to use a command line... from the IrfanView forums...
http://en.irfanview-forum.de/vb/show...subdirectories

1. Start Irfanview or Irfan Thumbnails
2. Hit Ctrl-F or Options->Search Files...
3. Filename pattern: cover.* and select the directory to search in with the 'Browse' button (e.g. D:\Archive\Music)
4. Hit 'Start Seach' button.
5. Check your results and remove any unwanted with the 'Remove from results' button.
6. Hit the 'Show all in Thumbnails' button and all your pictures should be present.
7. 'Ctrl-a' to select all and hit 'B' for batch mode.
8. Check "Batch conversion", "Batch rename" or "Batch conversion - Rename result files"
9. Select 'Output format': JPG
10. Select 'Options': I use 'Save quality' = 80% to reduce picture files size (not resolution)
11. Check the 'Use advanced options' and click the 'Advanced' button
12. Select at MISCELLANEOUS 'Overwrite existing files' and 'Create subfolders in the destination folder', and optional 'Save files with original date/time' and hit 'OK' WARNING: THIS WILL OVERWRITE EXISTING FILES
MAKE SURE ANYTHING ELSE (e.g. CROP or RESIZE) IS NOT SELECTED AS IT WILL BE APPLIED ALSO!!!
13. Important: LEAVE THE OUTPUT DIRECTORY EMPTY!!!!!! If there is something there, click on it and backspace, delete or erase it.
14. Hit the 'Start Batch' button.

Personally I would also use the Resample switch to get a cleaner resize. And then choose your size in the advanced dialog box.

FIRST I would suggest you play with IrfanView in a folder of experimental images. See how it works. Once you are happy, then use the instructions above to resize all of the covers to settings of your choice.

Standard warnings of BACKUP FIRST and be careful

Edit: And thanks... this is another feature I have now learnt about in IrfanView. It keeps bringing up surprises that little gem of a program. Perfect accompaniment to GIMP\Photoshop.
Thank you so much.
using program 'flash renamer' to rename all 'cover' to 'cover big'.
Than InfranView to convert all to 300 pixel width, new name 'cover big_smallnameresize'.
Than flash renamer to rename 'cover big_smallnameresize' to 'cover'.
This is now solved, thank you very much.

// Solved!
- Melvin
Old 11th May 2011, 18:57   #14
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

IrfanView can also do the renames for you. You don't really need to use two programs for this.

First pass - use IrfanView to rename cover.* to cover_big.*
Second Pass - use IrfanView to resize cover_big.* to cover.*

Play with the Batch Dialog in IrfanView on some test folders and you will see how this will work. It is the rather useful SEARCH dialog that I didn't know could also filter until you asked the question.
Old 11th May 2011, 19:10   #15
MasterMeNL

Quote:
IrfanView can also do the renames for you. You don't really need to use two programs for this.

First pass - use IrfanView to rename cover.* to cover_big.*
Second Pass - use IrfanView to resize cover_big.* to cover.*

Play with the Batch Dialog in IrfanView on some test folders and you will see how this will work. It is the rather useful SEARCH dialog that I didn't know could also filter until you asked the question.
I see.
I'll try this next time.
but using cover.* to cover big.* won't work. But if I remember there was a button called 'keep file extensions' so it's possible after all.
Thanks for all your help.

Greetings,
Melvin.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
150 mb, cover, freezes, memory usage high