Old 8th February 2013, 18:29   #1
Deuetado

What's Wrong with IE 10 & Shoutcast Radio?

I noticed that Shoutcast radio will not play (it will if I fake it out and copy a Shoutcast station to the favorites folder and play from there) if I have IE 10 installed. I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit as my operating system and had installed the IE 10 beta for Windows 7.

When I try to launch a Shoutcast radio station the browser window dims and then everything stops. Through some web searching I found the favorites folder workaround and saw some other posts that recommended getting rid of IE 10. After I dropped back to IE 9 I noticed that the first launch of a Shoutcast radio station brought up an advertisement window that played for 30 seconds before the radio station playback launched.

I tried Shoutcast TV under IE 10 and it worked fine. Everything else also worked fine. Shoutcast radio seemed to be the only thing not working. Does anyone know why the pop-up ad window launch in Shoutcast radio seems to totally lock up Winamp. BTW, I upgraded to 5.63 Winamp from the 5.623 release.
Deuetado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 21:14   #2
Digiti

I am having the same issue with newest Winamp and I.E. 10 under Windows 7. The work around you suggested works but is not as convenient as just clicking a station in the Winamp browser. I am glad to find it is an issue with how I.E. 10 handles flash and not something else. Hopefully Winamp will be working on this issue. Perhaps allowing us to use a different browser that handles flash normally or using HTML 5 instead of flash.
Digiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2013, 21:21   #3
DrO

it is still being investigated by the 3rd party responsible for the ads being shown. there is no eta on when it will be fixed as they don't know (based on the last update from them).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 18:39   #4
morganblythe

I have tried all of the above and sent support emails (as a paid pro purchaser) without any response. One other work around I found, which is still totally inconvenient is running WINAMP under the Virtual PC in XP mode. All functionality seems to be there, though the ad thing is REALLY annoying.
morganblythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 18:55   #5
DrO

and my reply above is as much as we still know about it. yes it's annoying but as it's relying on a 3rd party, there's little that can be done until they sort things out (or whatever the decision is).
Old 9th March 2013, 15:19   #6
ForestElf

win 8

I been having the same problem with windows 8 x64 and all others have also with windows 8 or IE 10 I gather.

I am sure they will get it sorted out in time. Yes, it is annoying, very much so, but sometimes good things need time to get worked out. How much time, who knows, but I do know this, the longer it takes the third party to fix it, the more customers Winamp shall loose which is a shame.

So I am in hopes it can be fixed soon, I did notice a new update on Majorgeeks today, but the problem was not fixed and even though I told it to save all my settings etc, it did not. So there are issues. But it is not the end of the world, but could be in time the end of Winamp if the third party does not sort it out.

Be well everyone and do not blame DrO, not his fault....
ForestElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 04:20   #7
FIJISUNRISE

I'd thought I'd give IE 10 a try on two of my W7 machines. Sure enough, both exhibited the failed shoutcast radio. Uninstalled IE 10 from both machines and presto, winamp works. I blame MS fully on this one. I noticed on my third Notebook, a HDX 18 (HP) that windows update shows IE 10 ready to push. I did not push that update. Not sure if MS updated the executable but I I'm not ready to waist another hour installing and uninstalling IE 10. Why can't MS just build a browser like everyone else that does not hose the system files? I have to admit, IE 10 was much faster on W7 but it was buggy. MS never takes their browsers seriously anyway. If they did, they would update them allot like everyone else. But if anyone else wants to see if the WU version is any better then let us know here.

Also, good to know that this is a real showstopper issue on W8. I was thinking of buying a Asus Zenbook with W8. But it sounds like there are no workarounds in W8 like there is in W7. A real showstopper as they say. I think I'm going to give MS another 6 months to a year to fix the mess that W8 is. Hopefully the windows blue update will help but I don't think it will be what most want.. like giving options to put the start button back etc.. Its going to take longer for MS to understand.. meaning lost earnings, and pissed off stock holders. But they will eventually fix this and most issues.
FIJISUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013, 02:11   #8
AceMatrix

I'm glad at least to see that I'm not the only one experiencing the disappointment of the IE 10 issue. I can't give up my Shoutcast radio, therefore I had to uninstall IE 10 and continue with IE9. Sad really, considering that it is only Shoutcast issues that are preventing me from the browser upgrade.
AceMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 00:05   #9
Bytemann

Those 3rd party adds are really annoying. And because of them I will never purchase Winamp.
And to put those adds into an application and constantly have popups is extremely rude.
Bytemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 02:28   #10
FIJISUNRISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytemann View Post
Those 3rd party adds are really annoying. And because of them I will never purchase Winamp.
And to put those adds into an application and constantly have popups is extremely rude.
Why pay for the pro version when it also has ads? That's crazy
Old 18th March 2013, 02:41   #11
DrO

going pro has _nothing_ to do with the online services like SHOUTcast, etc. i'm not disagreeing that pro should not show those sort of things but it is clearly stated what you get for going pro and that does not cover ad-free online service pages. and also because things have changed since pro first appeared when there were not the online services in the manner that they now are.
Old 18th March 2013, 17:08   #12
AceMatrix

O.K. ....so getting back to the main issue here....is there going to be a fix for the compatibility issue with IE 10 or not ?
AceMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 18:58   #13
FIJISUNRISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMatrix View Post
O.K. ....so getting back to the main issue here....is there going to be a fix for the compatibility issue with IE 10 or not ?
I'm thinking MS probably won't fix this being its part of their built in pop up blocker in IE 10. It may take awhile for AOL to fixing this. Not sure how much money they generate from those ads but IE 10 is on windows update now so it won't be long before everyone on W7 has this problem and they won't be making much money on the ads.
I just installed the official push of IE 10 on my HP HDX system and quite frankly I am not sure why. It killed the shoutcast but more importantly, it's still much slower then google chrome. It won't get much better either since once MS releases a browser they don't update or do much with it. For W8 users just hit the star and bookmark and play from bookmarks. I think I will uninstall IE 10 on my HDX. IMO 10 is already a failure and will wait for IE 11 to see if MS wants to get serious about web browsers. I think the last time IE was on top was when they came out with IE 3 when it was better then Netscape. IE has been a disaster from IE 6 up.
Old 18th March 2013, 20:42   #14
DrO

it is being worked on at the moment, and for Windows 8 users it should be resolved, is just Windows 7 users using IE 10 where it is not completely fixed.

[edit @ 22:45 GMT]
is confirmed as just IE10 on Windows 7 where the issue remains.
Old 19th March 2013, 20:36   #15
DrO

tentatively, things should now be working on Windows 7 and Windows 8 when IE 10 is installed...
Old 19th March 2013, 21:54   #16
FIJISUNRISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
tentatively, things should now be working on Windows 7 and Windows 8 when IE 10 is installed...
Nope. I reinstalled IE 10 on my HDX machine since I just updated it to SSD. With the SSD IE 10 seems speedy enough. Still have the greyed out shoutcast radio screen in winamp. I'll just hit the star and go to bookmarks for now. However, the shoutcast web site now works on chrome and IE 10 browsers.. that is new.
Old 19th March 2013, 22:00   #17
DrO

oh well, i've no idea then as all of our tests have indicated there shouldn't be any attempts at loading the ads on IE10 irrespective of the OS now.

[edit]
try clearing your IE cache...
Old 20th March 2013, 03:12   #18
FIJISUNRISE

Quote:
oh well, i've no idea then as all of our tests have indicated there shouldn't be any attempts at loading the ads on IE10 irrespective of the OS now.

[edit]
try clearing your IE cache...
I did. Ran ccleaner which also dumps all the winamp cache as well as all the browsers etc.. Like I said, it works on IE 10 or chrome web interface but accessing the shoutcast radio stations within winamp player does not work.
Old 20th March 2013, 03:20   #19
DrO

and we need to determine what is still causing that to happen as no one on the team who has tried the fixed embedded page can replicate the issue you're still having so something somewhere is either still caching the old code for the page or could even be a proxy or something.

so to make sure that we are clear and can try to get a better idea of things from your last few posts...

can you confirm if it is Windows 7 or Windows 8 you are using ? (i know Windows 7 was in an earlier post but this is to double-check as the recent posts just refer to IE10 and only that).

have you done anything that might cause the user-agent to have been changed ?

what page are you accessing outside of the in-Winamp view in normal IE10 / Chrome ?
Old 20th March 2013, 03:52   #20
FIJISUNRISE

Quote:
and we need to determine what is still causing that to happen as no one on the team who has tried the fixed embedded page can replicate the issue you're still having so something somewhere is either still caching the old code for the page or could even be a proxy or something.

so to make sure that we are clear and can try to get a better idea of things from your last few posts...

can you confirm if it is Windows 7 or Windows 8 you are using ? (i know Windows 7 was in an earlier post but this is to double-check as the recent posts just refer to IE10 and only that).

have you done anything that might cause the user-agent to have been changed ?

what page are you accessing outside of the in-Winamp view in normal IE10 / Chrome ?
Yes I'm using W7. Using IE 10 and lastest chrome browsers shoutcast works on shoutcast's web site. Using the built in shoutcast radio browser embedded in winamp player version 5.63 I get the greyed out screen.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:30   #21
DrO

can you try installing the 5.7 beta (currently on beta #2) and see if that makes a difference - i get a feeling it won't as there's no rhyme or reason for the issue still persisting but it at least gets us comparing behaviour on the current code base (as there have been some small changes to the embedded page handling).
Old 20th March 2013, 14:11   #22
FIJISUNRISE

Sorry, tried the beta and same issue.
Old 21st March 2013, 14:20   #23
FIJISUNRISE

Just upgraded my last Toshiba notebook to SSD drive last night (satelite P740) and get the same results: Shoutcast radio works on both IE 10, and chrome web pages. On built in winamp application the shoutcast radio greys out. Using bookmark method works good enough for now. IE 10 is a nice IE upgrade when running on SSD. Almost forgot, the toshiba is running W7 with all updates. Now all my machnes are running W7 with SSD. Decided to go that route instead of buying new W8 SSD notebook. I really don't care for MS modern UI of a mess on W8.
Old 21st March 2013, 14:33   #24
DrO

well everyone else who we've been in contact with and seeing it (even on our own team), doing a full clearing of the cache has resolved the issue.

there was one person who had done it via the preferences and it was acting like it is for you and they had to go deeper and physically remove things in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 subfolders....

if that still doesn't work then something else has got to be caching it for you.
Old 21st March 2013, 15:19   #25
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
they had to go deeper and physically remove things in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 subfolders....
i would try that, and then run crap cleaner too afterwards.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 18:31   #26
FIJISUNRISE

Quote:
well everyone else who we've been in contact with and seeing it (even on our own team), doing a full clearing of the cache has resolved the issue.

there was one person who had done it via the preferences and it was acting like it is for you and they had to go deeper and physically remove things in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 subfolders....

if that still doesn't work then something else has got to be caching it for you.
My system does not have that path to the temp folder.. but I deleted these files from this folder.. and I can see some files removed from it when I close winamp which tells me that is the active folder for that application... I dumped this folder, ran ccleaner, and fully uninstalled winamp again.. still the shoutcast greys out.

C:\Users\name\AppData\local\Temp this is the folder that I deleted. Like I said, I see files start up here when I open winamp.. must be the working temp folder for winamp.
Old 21st March 2013, 20:27   #27
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIJISUNRISE View Post
My system does not have that path to the temp folder.. but I deleted these files from this folder.. and I can see some files removed from it when I close winamp which tells me that is the active folder for that application... I dumped this folder, ran ccleaner, and fully uninstalled winamp again.. still the shoutcast greys out.

C:\Users\name\AppData\local\Temp this is the folder that I deleted. Like I said, I see files start up here when I open winamp.. must be the working temp folder for winamp.
That AppData\Local\Temp folder is the one Winamp uses, but IE 10 also uses the other one as well.

The other folder is a system folder that is hidden by default, which is probably why you don't see it. Close IE, if it is open. Use the Tools menu in Windows Explorer to access the Folder options. From the View tab of that dialog, disable the option to "Hide protected operating system files". You will get a message urging you not to do this. Do it anyway. Previously hidden stuff will pop-up everywhere, even on the desktop.

Close and re-open Windows Explorer, then look for that folder that IE 10 uses for temp internet files. It should be safe to delete the "Content.IE5" folder and it's sub-folders (look at their creation dates). It and they should be recreated as needed.

Be sure to re-enable the option to hide system files when you are done.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013, 21:21   #28
FIJISUNRISE

I already clicked on show hidden files and show system directories. My system still has a bit of a different path. It shows C:Users\Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Caches I tried to delete files in caches. I deleted all but one and the only thing open was windows explorer. No IE5 temp folder to be found.. Believe me, if it were on my system I would have found it.

I did a search on the ie5 folder path and that is not going to be present on all systems. Its a left over legacy folder. I believe the last time I saw that was when I had vista. I'll check my HDX later tonight to see if that one has the folder being it was upgraded to W7. The other two systems have W7 clean installed. This might be part of the problem. If so, there should be others still experiencing the issue.
Old 21st March 2013, 21:27   #29
DrO

but no one else is chiming up with 'me too still' posts or reports via our feedback system, which is why something weird must be going on that may be specific to you (as reports of the issue have dropped off since the fixes made yesterday).

we're just trying to suggest what has helped to resolve the few stragglers who were seeing the issue not long after the fix was deployed (which is always coming back to an old copy of the embedded page) so there must be something which is still allowing your machines to get an older cached copy of it which no one else seems to be able to replicate.
Old 22nd March 2013, 02:03   #30
FIJISUNRISE

Well I checked on my last HDX system and the same C:Users\Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Caches path. I cleared it out but shoutcast a no go from within winamp itself. About the only weird app I have that may be causing it is explorer 2 which is a paid for premium replacement for windows explorer which is more powerful. But windows explorer has always worked with it. I guess its broken for me on three machines. One which just had a clean install two weeks ago.

One last question.. I take it that shoutcast radio now works from within winamp itself? Because it works now on IE and chrome.. however, the pop up ads are a bit eratic..

The other thing that might be is I just cloned all my machines to SSD drives. Other then this issue, my machines run blazing fast. No issues with anything other then winamp.

Last, thanks for all the help.. I'm thinking i'm out of luck on this one. First time since 1996 that winamp failed me
Old 22nd March 2013, 02:37   #31
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIJISUNRISE View Post
I did a search on the ie5 folder path and that is not going to be present on all systems. Its a left over legacy folder. I believe the last time I saw that was when I had vista.
Working from your suggestion that the "C:\Users\*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" folder is a left over legacy, I deleted mine. IE10 recreated it. So it is not an unused legacy folder on my system.

I know this does not help you much, but it suggests to me that something is not right with your IE10 install. Your "temporary internet files" have to be going somewhere. Use "regedit.exe" to search for that phrase in your registry. Maybe that will help. The full path name with that phrase turns up associated with the "IEShims" key - "NormalizedPaths" sub-key in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" group on my system.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 22nd March 2013, 02:52   #32
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Close Winamp & Internet Explorer (if open).

Make sure "Show hidden files & folders" is checkmarked and "Hide protected operating system files" is NOT checkmarked in:
Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab.
(I recommend recheckmarking the 2nd option afterwards, unless you are an experienced user)
(note, the "you" in that sentence applies to anyone reading this).

Go to: Windows Control Panel > Internet Options > General Tab > Browsing History > "Settings" button

Note that the path to the "Current location" of your internet cache (Temporary Internet Files) will be displayed here.

Click the "View Files" button.

This will then open the Temporary Internet Files folder.

Click inside the address bar, just to the right of where it shows:
.....Microsoft > Windows > Temporary Internet Files (or whatever the equivalent path is for you)...

The address bar will now change to show the actual folder path, eg.
C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
(or whatever the equivalent path is for you)

Manually type on to the end of that path the following:

\Content.IE5

so the path now looks like:

C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
(or whatever the equivalent path is for you)

Hit Enter

You will now be in the super hidden Content.IE5 folder.

You will see some subfolders with random names, such as 7BESW7PA

Delete all the files inside these folders.
You can keep favicon.ico files, if you wish (these are the icons that IE uses in the Favorites lists).
Windows might also prompt you about deleting system files such as desktop.ini or whatever.dat.
These files are also safe to keep too (is probably best not to delete them anyway).

The main files you'll want to delete are all the cached .html, .htm, .js, .txt, .css, .woff, .jpg, .png, .gif files.

Note that there might also be one or more subfolders where access permission is denied, but you can ignore these because they're not actually real folders (they're just "links" to other hidden folders for use by other programs).

Once those folders are empty....

Click back in the address bar again and change (by manually typing) "Content.IE5" to "Low"
so the path in the address bar now looks something like:

C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low
and hit Enter

You will now see another Content.IE5 subfolder
(I don't recommend deleting desktop.ini, MSIMGSIZ.DAT, or anything in the AntiPhishing subfolder)

Inside the ....\Low\Content.IE5 folder you will again see 4 hidden folders with random names such as G3TVDCA6

Again, delete the files from within these subfolders (don't delete the actual folders).

This is the most likely place for the cached file(s) in question, especially if winamp.com has been added to the Safe Zone.

There's potentially a few other super hidden subfolders in there too, though it's probably wise to leave them alone, as I don't think the cached files we're looking for will be in there.

e.g. Here's a fun one....

C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Virtualized\C\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 03:07   #33
Aminifu
Forum King

It's been said before and I'll say it again, DrO you are the man!

If that info does not help FIJISUNRISE find the culprit, nothing will.

Old 22nd March 2013, 04:18   #34
FIJISUNRISE

I really appreciate all that. Unfortunately, the shoutcast radio is still greyed out. I followed the instructions to a tee and only left the favicon files.. did not see desktop ini. Deleted from both \content.IE5 and \low and left the phishing alone. Good to know where those folders are though.. thanks again.
Old 22nd March 2013, 05:13   #35
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Oh heck...

Maybe your ISP is caching it, or something weird like that.

I see a few scradioinwinamp.htm files in my IE cache subfolders.
Deleting those should be all that's required....

What happens if you go to http://www.shoutcast.com/scradioinwinamp/ in Internet Explorer?
Does it load / work ok?

Maybe try hitting Ctrl+F5 to refresh the page.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:47   #36
FIJISUNRISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Oh heck...

Maybe your ISP is caching it, or something weird like that.

I see a few scradioinwinamp.htm files in my IE cache subfolders.
Deleting those should be all that's required....

What happens if you go to http://www.shoutcast.com/scradioinwinamp/ in Internet Explorer?
Does it load / work ok?

Nothing happens when I click on a station on that site with IE or chrome F5 does not help. Screen does not grey out however, but it still does not play. I have Centurylink DSL.. Funny thing is I have two connections. Back in Albuquerque I have a 12 MB connection that is different then my 3 mb connection I have now in Gallup NM. But both have the same issue? Yeah, its weird.
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:29   #37
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Does it load / work ok?

egg, it doesn't work. I go to that link, win7, IE10, brand new install, 3323 beta, and when I try to play anything there it just kinda highlights it, but it doesn't attempt to play it.

EDIT: I should add that "Shoutcast Radio" in the navtree in winamp works fine for me.

EDIT 2: I should probably also add that this page does work for me: http://www.shoutcast.com/

although its seemingly random as to which ones try to play in winamp and which ones play in the web player at the bottom of the page.

--
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:31   #38
DrO

Quote:
Does it load / work ok?
that page won't work correctly unless loaded inside of Winamp.
Old 22nd March 2013, 17:43   #39
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
It's been said before and I'll say it again, DrO you are the man!

If that info does not help FIJISUNRISE find the culprit, nothing will.
I think u meant Egg, since 33 follows 32, but I'm sure u feel the same for both.

--
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:14   #40
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
I think u meant Egg, since 33 follows 32, but I'm sure u feel the same for both.
Yes, of course. They are both among my Winamp support heroes (you are too).

DrO had been helping FIJISUNRISE and I guess I didn't notice when DJ Egg slipped in. Although I should have picked up on the different writing style.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support