Old 16th May 2013, 05:00   #1
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

MD2 is now open-source!

(In case you missed the news in the main MilkDrop forum... see the announcement here!)
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 01:25   #2
Prenso

Wtf
Prenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 16:35   #3
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

BTW, the source code is now posted to sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/p/milkdrop2/

...where you can use git to grab the files, and where we can manage changes. I've also included a README that explains how to build and run the project.

Cheers,
Ryan
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 20:16   #4
MadnessR

Wow! Just when I thought I'd seen everything MD could do. Woo Hoo!
MadnessR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 20:41   #5
DrO

though it doesn't mean much if there's little that comes out of the process.

a negative tone i know but based on what happened (or more importantly didn't happen) by open sourcing MD1 (and also AVS), i just don't believe Winamp is going to see any benefit and at best it'll just be whatever ProjectM or other projects decide to rip out of the newer code.

i really want to be proved wrong, but the previous attempts just didn't do much. as sure everyone kept pestering to have them open sourced, but if there's not the people that want to work on such projects, it's just of no use as too many people magically think open sourcing something will get loads of free hands to work on a project and that is just not the reality for a lot of projects.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 11:55   #6
greatWho

Problems with Visual Studio Express 2012

I tried to open milkdrop_DX9.sln with VS Express 2012 (the Desktop Version). I added include and lib/x86 folders of the DirectX SDK in the project properties, but I can't compile the code.

there were any warnings while upgradeing the sln. see the attached log.

does anybody know, how to set up VS Express 2012 the right way?

I also can't compile the avs sourcecode. so if anybody knows how to set up for avs too

I would be grateful.

Thanx

OS is Windows8
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Migrationsbericht.pdf (66.1 KB, 447 views)
greatWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 03:45   #7
EWeiss

can anybody tell me what are changed in Milk2 from vis_milk2.25 to vis_milk2.25c ?
vis_milk2.25c crash after aktivate Config Dialog with my Plugin Wrapper.

i have compile the last Build..
the crash appears in CPluginShell::TabCtrlProc

code:
void CPluginShell::OnTabChanged(int nNewTab)
HWND h = WASABI_API_CREATEDIALOGPARAMW(g_proppage_id[g_nTab], g_config_hwnd, this->TabCtrlProc, (LPARAM)this);

on this line
code:
CPluginShell* p = (CPluginShell*)GetWindowLongPtr(hwnd,GWLP_USERDATA);

this error not appears with Build vis_milk2.25

i hope any can help me for this problem.

or any has the last Source for vis_milk2.25?
so i can compare it what are changed.

sorry for my bad english

greets

Last edited by EWeiss; 22nd June 2013 at 05:53.
EWeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013, 06:56   #8
EWeiss

i think have found the mistake..
after deactivate this line
code:
if (FALSE != WASABI_API_APP->DirectMouseWheel_ProcessDialogMessage(hwnd, msg, wParam, lParam, controls, ARRAYSIZE(controls)))
{
return TRUE;
}

all work fine!
i think should be handle in my wrapper "api_application" that is hard
translate to Delphi

EDIT:
I think Milk2 is dead now after going OpenSource

greets

Last edited by EWeiss; 22nd June 2013 at 08:54.
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:07   #9
DrO

integration fixes with recent Winamp clients where most of the changes made between 2.25 and 2.25c, nothing on the visual front.- what with being a Winamp plug-in it makes sense to ensure its correctly integrated irrespective of external usage as happens.
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:32   #10
EWeiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
integration fixes with recent Winamp clients where most of the changes made between 2.25 and 2.25c, nothing on the visual front.- what with being a Winamp plug-in it makes sense to ensure its correctly integrated irrespective of external usage as happens.
that's what I mean..
i can now create my own build with the source of Milk2 so it work again.

in fact Milk2 is dead now after going OpenSource
many user can create a private build
and the control over it is lost.

bad idea.. See trouble with AVS
All good things have an end times

newest milkdrop 2.25c but still not responding to music on any Presets
and crashes when opening milkdrop config.
With and without Winamp.

sorry for my english
i hope you understand me.. I have not really understood what they mean
-----------

Das ist was ich meine.
Ich kann nun mein eigenes Build erstellen so das Milk2 wieder arbeitet wie zuvor.
Tatsächlich ist Milk2 nun gestorben nachdem der Quelltext offen gelegt wurde
und jeder nun sein eigenes Build erstellen kann. Die Kontrolle darüber ist verloren.

Eine schlechte Idee.. Siehe AVS
Alle guten Dinge haben mal ein Ende.

Die neueste Version vis_Milk2.25c zeigt bei manchen Presets keine reaktion zur Musik
und stürzt ab wenn der Konfigurationsdialog aufgerufen wird.
Mit und ohne Winamp. (Win7 64Bit)

Entschuldigt mein schlechtes English.

greets
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:36   #11
DrO

it probably is dead like you say, but no one is generally modding the plug-ins so i don't think your comment about a lack of control really holds as if there's no mods, then there's little divergence. all i've seen previously is other AVS / Milkdrop clones grabbing feature support than things being added to the plug-ins and contributed back (which then makes the dead comment still valid).

and if there were many users making their own versions, then i'd have expected to see a) a lot of modded versions floating around which i've not and b) a reasonably active plug-in development community in general which is very much not the case.

as for the not responding issue, without details on what / how to replicate then once again there's little to do about it. and as a note, other users who were having such an issue found it resolved with 2.25c so there must be something else about your setup which is causing the issue. so without more info, i know i'm not going to spend time looking into something i cannot replicate (as if it's happening also outside of Winamp then that's not something i would try fix, just if it's impacting on the in-Winamp experience).
Old 22nd June 2013, 15:53   #12
EWeiss

i can only say..
all Milk2 plugin work fine within my wrapper from 1.04 to 2.25 why not 2.25c.
so i build my own version and this is bad i think.

thank you for your answer

greets
Old 22nd June 2013, 16:12   #13
DrO

if it's happening in your wrapper, then you're most likely not replicating all of the api which the plug-in needs to use (as was also seen by the crash with the WASABI_API_APP->DirectMouseWheel_ProcessDialogMessage(..) change).

if i'd known Milkdrop 2 was going to be open-sourced then i probably wouldn't have made such changes to the plug-in which better aligned it with other code changes and optimisations applied to the other native plug-ins. but that's happened now so is little i'm going to do.

if you have issues when running it under Winamp natively (and not via any wrapper or however you're doing it), then i will try to resolve the issue. if it's purely from your wrapper's usage then that's something you will need to resolve in it or just don't use the newer version.
Old 22nd June 2013, 16:23   #14
EWeiss

Quote:
if it's purely from your wrapper's usage then that's something you will need to resolve in it or just don't use the newer version.
you are right
i will see what i can do with WASABI_API_APP in my wrapper (without change any in Milk2)

greets.. have a nice day. thanks for your time
Old 24th June 2013, 00:40   #15
EWeiss

Ok!
i have fix now
code:
WASABI_API_APP->DirectMouseWheel_ProcessDialogMessage

and translated ApplicationApiService to Delphi 2010
it work like a charm without change any in Milk2 Original Source

greets
Old 14th September 2013, 20:33   #16
redi jedi
Will code for food

Why hello there... I may have to give this a spin again

Blah!
redi jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 10:56   #17
fed0r

Send a message via ICQ to fed0r
Yep, me too! Would be nice to see shader iterations or some kind of back buffers, or just to implement a feature request. Good thing is - I didn't forget my C skills.
(Although real hackers like Martin do it the hard way; coding in constrained environments is kind of a challenge for these guys, i think.)
I'm back from the dead, by the way. Have been banned for a couple of years, happens every time
fed0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 20:48   #18
Nitorami
Major Dude

Yes, nicely put, coding in a "restrained environment" is a challenge to me. But, this is largely owed to the fact that I joined this community rather late, when the normal features of milkdrop had already been exploited to a large degree, and I wanted to make more than just another clone of existing effects. I would however not object to having an environment with larger possibilities.

I thought about getting involved in milkdrop3 development myself, but C is not my native language, and there are just too many different issues I would have familiarize myself with, wasapi, ns-eel, DirectX etc. Plus, I am really quite pessimistic about the number and engagement of contributors who would actively use such an environment.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 07:41   #19
AuralArchitect

Martin: your presets ROCK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitorami View Post
I thought about getting involved in milkdrop3 development myself, but C is not my native language, and there are just too many different issues I would have familiarize myself with, wasapi, ns-eel, DirectX etc. Plus, I am really quite pessimistic about the number and engagement of contributors who would actively use such an environment.
That's a shame… all of it… But particularly that you (nor anybody else it seems!) will be working on any further development of MD. It also seems that the authoring of presets has all but come to a stop.

And now with the death of Winamp the future of MilkDrop presets looks bleaker than ever!

I have to give you major props for the presets you authored- they have topped my list of favs since I first saw them- they really stand out not only in their uniqueness but also in their aesthetic appeal. It's really amazing how you were able to find ways of expanding a "constricted environment" and essentially reinvent what was possible with MilkDrop.
I offer you my sincerest thanks for sharing your creations with the world- they have been the backdrop for many hours of great times with friends (I ended up adding a bunch of my own images into the textures folder and editing a bunch of presets to call those files instead- most of them being of us or our artwork- with some truly amazing/amusing results that have been tattooed into our memories).
I may be wrong about whether you are actually responsible for the innovation, if not you certainly perfected it- but your presets seemed to be the first (and certainly the best) at mastering the use of color & shaders in such a way that perfectly mimics liquid, reflections on a liquid/fluid surface & realistic metallic/iridescent coloring.

A few years ago I ended up switching to using Mac OS X as my primary OS for a variety of reasons- and the main thing I miss & primary reason for creating Windows virtual machines is MilkDrop. I'm well aware of ProjectM but I have never been able to get it to build successfully with the ability to properly use shaders or access 'textures'- without which it is useless to me. I haven't given up yet- but I haven't tried in a while. I just upgraded my OS for the first time since I switched over, so I think it's time I made another attempt. Someone was able to successfully build ProjectM for Mac this summer and explained how he was able to accomplish it- he just didn't include the components necessary for enabling shaders. So hopefully I can utilize his work as a starting point to getting a working binary that will play your presets...

It makes me sad to see this whole scene sort of withering away… I wish I could have been more active, and that I had the knowledge & ability to further develop MD on my own! Sometimes one talented, enthusiastic & active person is all it takes to be the catalyst of inspiration for others.
I tried to get into software development way back when I was in college- but I just found it impossibly difficult & practically incomprehensible, and one of my teachers kindly advised me to find another field to pursue. It seems my brain just doesn't really work that way!
AuralArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Development