Old 28th June 2008, 01:07   #1
Sherwin Maxawow

Send a message via AIM to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Yahoo to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Skype™ to Sherwin Maxawow
A few comments & a Question----

My 22 inch "Samsung T220" I have learned doesn't really display the 20,000:1 contrast ratio I was told it does at the store. In fact, it only displays about 1,000:1 which is average for most LCD monitors! But they get away with it by calling it "Dynamic Contrast ratio" which is a simple technique which Samsung (I believe) came up with. Yet if you want to know my opinion about it, there isnt anything that great about it. It only brightens or darkens the backlighting depending on the brightness of the image being shown. But it doesnt even really help all that much, so I believe its basically a clever gimick to help sales.
I mean think about it--- the word "Dynamic" is a word that represents things that are "advanced" or high tech. If people didnt know any better, they would think Dynamic Contrast must be better than "regular contrast" ratio, right? Hell- it must be better, of course. ITS DYNAMIC!
What a LOAD OF POO! Dynamic BULLSHIT is more like it!

But dont get me wrong, I am very pleased with my Samsung T220 flatscreen! Its beautiful, not only in its display....but its probably one of the "sleekest" and most stylish monitor designs you can buy right now-- and that is one thing every single product review online (like from Cnet) are all in agreement over. It is one very pretty monitor! I suggest even looking at pictures of it just to see what I mean.
However, if I had not been so decieved by them making me think it actually displayed a "twenty thousand to one" contrast ratio. I would NOT have bought it. In fact I would have definitely bought the "Dell SP2208WFP" instead----without question! It too is a 22 inch screen with the same native 1680 x 1050 resolution, but it beats the T220 in every important aspect. All except for the pretty case design which is cool but that isnt what matters.
Here are the side by side comparisons....
Dell TRUE contrast ratio - 2000:1
Samsung T220's true ratio is - 1000:1
Pixel-response rate is equal for both monitors @ 2ms.
Price range
Dell SP2208WFP $299.00
Samsung T220 $335.00

I have to run because I just had company come by but I will be back to see your replies and ask the question I wanted to ask.
Later and KEEP the MILK DROPIN!
Sherwin Maxawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 05:51   #2
Sherwin Maxawow

Send a message via AIM to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Yahoo to Sherwin Maxawow Send a message via Skype™ to Sherwin Maxawow
I had to take off suddenly earlier when my dad showed up to take me over to a family barbecue that I couldn't miss out on. So I never exactly finished the question part of my post.
I wanted to get some feedback or opinions in regard to "LCD monitor refresh rates." LCD displays are normally no more than 60 Hz, correct?
Yet I've read that refresh rates do not matter much with LCD displays, the way the do with CRT monitors. I read all about why this is, and it made sense to me.
However, my LCD display still supports 75Hz refresh rates for some of its lower resolutions. One of these resolutions is '1280 x 1024' - which is not at all a bad screen ratio to use.
The only sacrifice of using 1280 x 1024 format is that its no longer WIDE screen, but the screen remains native and crisp...so long as you don't try scaling it.
But the positive side of it is being able to refresh at 75Hz instead of 60Hz. To be honest, I actually seemed to notice that the motion on the screen appeared to look generally "smoother" compared to at 60Hz. It seemed smoother from just the movement of the mouse cursor itself to anything else.
Not only that, but to me the entire display or picture itself as a whole just had a -- "softer" sort of look to it, and believe me I'm NOT talking about the sharpness of the resolution. I didnt "scale" anything and so the digitial pixel per pixel perfect sharpness was not changed at all. All that was changed was the "size" of the display window on my screen which now lacked the side bars that make it wide. You get me?
Other than the size of the viewing ratio being smaller, the only difference was in a higher 75Hz refresh rate- which as I said seemed to make the entire image itself (whether moving or still) look somehow - "SOFTER" to me, or like, nicer on the eyes to look at. Does that make sense to anyone?

I do admit I could be just imagining all this, just by merely KNOWING in my mind that its being refreshed at 75hz instead of 60Hz--- like a placebo effect or something? What do you all think? Anyone else have experience with this kind of thing?

I also wanted to ask if high refresh rates can effect the performance of your graphics card?
I seem to remember reading something about that, but I cant remember where. It was probably before it was important to me.

I'd sure appreciate any unique wisdom on all this. Or even if someone feels I'm just THINKING it makes a difference like a placebo. Let me know whatever you think!

Thanks!
Sherwin Maxawow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2008, 08:55   #3
fed0r

Send a message via ICQ to fed0r
I had this effect on LCD with maximum resolution 1280x1024 with ANALOG input. I think that's because analog signals get somehow "blurred" in wires at high refresh rates, and you see an echo on the previous and the next pixel. That's a real electronic diffusion effect.
fed0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets