Old 2nd November 2002, 16:54   #1
Sand Spider

Help! My display freezes, but nothing else does.

Hi,

Looked at all the forums etc. but nothing seems to apply to my problem. Sometimes, winamp works perfectly normally. Then, the display freezes- the time remaining window goes blank, the title stops scrolling etc. but the music keeps playing and the playlist buttons etc. keep working. If I use the forward and back arrow keys, the display will update to the correct position, but remain frozen there.

I am using winamp 2.81 with all updates, windows XP pro, Athlon XP 2000+ with 512 MB DDR Ram. Also, at about the time this started, a txt file called S22-debug.txt started to appear every so often in my C: drive. This contains a huge list of "bytes xxxx read OK" between 14 and 70MB in size. Oh yeah, and my internet explorer history stopped working- its always blank, regardless of how long I set it to remember for.

Any ideas at all people?

Thanks,

Giles
Sand Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2002, 17:13   #2
AjStone
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to AjStone Send a message via AIM to AjStone Send a message via Yahoo to AjStone
Freaky.

Um, starting with problem 1. What happens when you hit F5 while Winamp is active?
AjStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2002, 20:43   #3
Sand Spider

The display vanishes, and the little equaliser bars flicker for as long as I hold F5 down... The music keeps playing.

Giles
Old 3rd November 2002, 12:52   #4
Sand Spider

If I press F5 when the display has already frozen, nothing at all happens.

Giles
Old 3rd November 2002, 16:03   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

What's your Video and Sound cards?
Have you tried looking for updated drivers?
Have you installed XP Service Pack yet?

I can't find much info for S22-debug.txt on google search
What other software/processes are concurrently running? (c/o Task Mgr)

It might also be a good idea to run:
Virus Scan (with latest definition updates)
Chkdsk (thorough scan, to check for hard drive errors)
Ad-Aware (to check for any spyware)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 19:47   #6
ClintJCL2

same for me

The same thing just started happening for me, today.

I reverted to my original install cd sound drivers because the newer ones were buggy (an either-or input on the front of my SB LiveDrive would mute itself after a few hours causing me to record television programs with no sound).

This is very annoying. Winamp still works, but there is no information. The title scrolls in the taskbar, but not in the winamp window itself. F5 does nothing (Well, the slider for song position disappears, not that it was accurate anway since IT NO LONGER SLIDES). I can still click on a place in the song to go to it, but I can't see where I currently am. Very annoying. Am I going to have to reinstall winamp AGAIN?

-Clio
AMD Athlon 900mHz, 256M RAM, 280GB, Win2K, SB Live Platinum 5.1, ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32M DDR.
ClintJCL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2002, 11:51   #7
Sand Spider

Mine appears to have cured itself. Possibly updating my video card drivers (again) did it, but maybe it just felt like working.

Giles
Old 23rd November 2002, 13:00   #8
ClintJCL2

not me

It's weird... Mine hasn't decided to fix itself yet. Still broken.

I don't think rebooting helped. And I absolutely do not want to mess with my video drivers as this is my video capture & playback machine [total media for whole house machine actually, controls sound in video in multiple rooms].... So... I dunno.

Could it have to do with DirectX maybe?

-Clio
AMD Athlon 900mHz, 256M RAM, 280GB, Win2K, SB Live Platinum 5.1, ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32M DDR.
Old 24th November 2002, 04:34   #9
ClintJCL2

Nope

Re-installing directx sure didn't help.
Bahhh
I guess my winamp bar just wont slide anymore.

Somehow i suspect reinstalling winamp wont fix it. Maybe i'm just practicing self-defeatism.

-Clio
Old 24th November 2002, 13:41   #10
Sand Spider

After a couple of weeks of fiddling around, it seemed to cure itself. I think it might've been getting the latest Detonator drivers for my Nvidia Geforce ti 4200 that did it, but I don't really know.
Also, I did wonder if using the "speed up" tool that comes with Kazaa might have caused the problem- mine only seemed to freeze when that was running in the background. (Doesn't now)

HTH
Cheers,

Giles
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support