Old 5th July 2003, 15:36   #1
_Blackdog_
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to _Blackdog_
quick computer questions...

excuse my ignorance...

can someone explain the difference between a pentium and a celeron processor? and how vast is the difference between a pentium and a celeron of the same speed?

and second, i'm looking at a 4x dvd-rw/cd-rw drive to get with my new computer. does anyone know if the 4x speed applies to both dvd writing and cd writing? or is that the dvd writing speed and the cd writing speed should be significantly faster?

thanks in advance
_Blackdog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 15:59   #2
duet maxwell
Major Dudette

What is the difference between a Pentium and a Celeron processor?

Here are the most important similarities and differences between the Pentium 4 and the Celeron chips coming out today:
Core - The Celeron chip is based on a Pentium 4 core.

Cache - Celeron chips have less cache memory than Pentium 4 chips do. A Celeron might have 128 kilobytes of L2 cache, while a Pentium 4 can have four times that. The amount of L2 cache memory can have a big effect on performance.

Clock speed - Intel manufactures the Pentium 4 chips to run at a higher clock speed than Celeron chips. The fastest Pentium 4 might be 60 percent faster than the fastest Celeron.

Bus speed - There are differences in the maximum bus speeds that the processors allow. Pentium 4s tend to be about 30 percent faster than Celerons.

When you sort all this out and compare the two chips side by side, it turns out that a Celeron and a Pentium 4 chip running at the same speed are different beasts. The smaller L2 cache size and slower bus speeds can mean serious performance differences depending on what you want to do with your computer. If all you do is check e-mail and browse the Web, the Celeron is fine, and the price difference can save you a lot of money. If you want the fastest machine you can buy, then you need to go with the Pentium 4 to get the highest clock speeds and the fastest system bus.

(( Source )) <-- also has good links that will help u
duet maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 17:57   #3
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

now for the second question's answer...

for that cd-dvd-dvdrw-cdrw, you'd have to get all the details.

but mainly 4x would be the max dvd write or rewrite speed

Needs more moo-cows.
Scar Da Kookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 18:45   #4
eleet-2k2
Forum King

Re: quick computer questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by _Blackdog_
and second, i'm looking at a 4x dvd-rw/cd-rw drive to get with my new computer. does anyone know if the 4x speed applies to both dvd writing and cd writing? or is that the dvd writing speed and the cd writing speed should be significantly faster?

thanks in advance
Ignorance? What ignorance. No need to be excused.

The 4x dvd-rw/cd-rw implies that the DVD write speed is 4x and the the CD-R/RW speeds will be faster. The DVD-RW speed will probably be 2x, but probably not as fast as the write speed.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 19:25   #5
BMWboy

*cough*AMDisbetter*cough*
BMWboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 20:18   #6
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

4xDVD isnt the same as 4xCD (which is 600K/second) either, is it?

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2003, 21:14   #7
Scar Da Kookee
[Forum Pastry]

Quote:
Originally posted by BMWboy
*cough*AMDisbetter*cough*
Its the person who believes its nessesary to get either or...

You dont need to over clock your mechine if you already upgraded from something incredibly crapifed

Needs more moo-cows.
Scar Da Kookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 01:18   #8
tiger84
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarface2k2
Its the person who believes its nessesary to get either or...

You dont need to over clock your mechine if you already upgraded from something incredibly crapifed
But you do have to admit, Advanced Micro Devices is better.

If life calls and you're busy, let the answering machine pick-up.

Just so you know, my previous avatar was NOT a swastika, nor did it have much similarity to one. Just thought I'd clear that up since I cannot use my own original art work.
tiger84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 01:29   #9
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Yeah, If you only wanna do simple stuff with your pc, like websurfing and word processing. If not, go with the P4

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 02:04   #10
BMWboy

as far as I'm concerned, AMD is better. that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
BMWboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 10:29   #11
Starbucks
Forum King

AMD is a bargan, and if my opinion counts, P4 is better than Athlon. Sort of like a non exotic sports car vurses an expensive supercar.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 15:26   #12
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ScYtH_2088
Yeah, If you only wanna do simple stuff with your pc, like websurfing and word processing. If not, go with the P4

I've said this before, and i'll say it again, in general the performance of an 800fsb P4 is only just above that of an athlon with the same PR. In terms of pure cpu grunt the athlon is well ahead. Things like folding@home run quite a bit faster on an athlon.

If the pricing was equal, then a P4 would be a superior solution, but the lower end P4's cost about 100% more than an equivelant athlon, and the higher end models are about 50% more. Unless you're building a system where cost doesnt matter, you'll be making sacrifices in other important areas...all for a difference of a few percent in benchmarks.

Sorry P4 fans, but i'd take an athlon with a high quality mobo, ram and video card over a P4 with a budget board, generic ram and a lower range card any day.

[edit]

By the way, celerons suck big time. Think of them as a castrated P4. Without the large cache their performance is woeful, in fact an XP1800+ is quite a bit faster than a celery 2.4. Stay away from them at all costs.

[/edit]
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 17:32   #13
_Blackdog_
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to _Blackdog_
sweet, thanks for the help everyone
_Blackdog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2003, 23:49   #14
aie93

Send a message via ICQ to aie93 Send a message via AIM to aie93 Send a message via Yahoo to aie93
Also DVD's can only write at the speed the discs are made and 4x discs are significantly more expensive than 1x DVD-r's as i found out to my disappoint ment. Unlike CD-r's you cant write at 4x on a 1x disc - it just won't let you
aie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 03:37   #15
ase500

Reality

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
AMD is a bargan, and if my opinion counts, P4 is better than Athlon. Sort of like a non exotic sports car vurses an expensive supercar.
The Fact of the matter is that The Pentium 4 is a joke always has been and always will be. It’s a flawed chip from day one. Let look at it. Intel at its NETBURST Convention Said that performance is the over all measure of the execution Time Rated in MIPS (millions of instructions Per second) and stated to Get this Rating me Multiply Instructions Per Clock Cycle (IPC) with the Megahertz (MHz). AMD Agreed with that statement as did Via, Motorola, and IBM. So it was determined that the equation to performance is Performance=IPC*MHZ. Now thats look at pipelines. A pipeline is the path in which Data travels though the processor. Short pipelines translate to very high IPC but low MHz, and just the opposite is true as well, very long pipelines translate to very high MHz but very low IPC. So you can see the need to Balance the pipeline. The P4 has a 20 Stage Pipeline While the Athlon has a 10 Stage Pipeline. The P4 thus has an IPC Rating of 6 and the Athlon has a rating of 9. These IPC Figures also do not take into account the "Pipeline Tax" this is a draining of the pipeline when there is branchy Data. Which of course wastes Cycles and reduces over all perfomance, the only way to reduce this is to incress cache which helps to predict these branches in advance thus reduceing the number of wasted cycles. This explains why Intel Moved Quickly to increase Cache on the P4. So Lets break it down in numbers. Pentium 4 3.2GHz 6 IPC Performance 19200 MIPS. Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2GHz 9 IPC Performance 19800 MIPS. So you can see that in RAW performance the Athlon beats the P4. Now why do I say raw perfomance? Because if I take an optimize the software for say SSE2 it is not going to run as well on an Athlon as it will on a P4 and the same can be said with 3D Now! and not performing well on the P4. However when looking at a processor keep in mind one thing. How many of us really run the most upto date version of the programs? The fact is that if I am running office 2000 over Office XP, I am not really optimized for either processor and it would be safe to say that the Athlon would perform Slightly better. Many people would argue that The P4 has HyperThread and is therefor better. However this would also be false, the fact is that AMD Eyed MultiThread Technology as well back in 1996 and found that it would not benefit enough to offset the cost and that many programs will not utilize such a method. This is true the only real benefit that the P4 gains from Hyper Thread is a reduction in latency. However this is almost exclusive to Floating Point Data, and this being the case will only really increase performance in apps that optimize for HyperThread and for SSE2. So for example if I run a Game that is optimized for SSE2 and can take advantage of HyperThread I would benefit a small amount. Whereas if I am running say Bryce which is not optimized for Either and is Caculation Intesive I would have lower perfomance with the P4 all together due to its Long pipeline and low IPC, It may take an extra few seconds for the P4 to render the Same Image. Now the issue of FSB. Many people don't really understand what FSB is. FSB is the speed at which the processor and the Chipset "talk" to each other and how quickly data can be accessed by the processor. However here is where we run into a bottle neck. currently the only memory which even supports such bus is Rambus which is over all a failure, its high in cost, is not stable because it never was standardized RamBus Corp. Decided to Dictate to the makers and not get a set of standards for it. Most P4 systems are produced with DDR much more stable and running at 400 MHz. Also at the current time PCI Bus limits the speed in which data can reach the Memory, this is where the real bottle neck is the data travels at 133 MHz upto the memory, so in effect the data is going out much faster than it is coming in, this in turn means the processor spends a great amount of time waiting for information from your hard drive or other media. So at the moment higher FSB doesnt really lead to much of a performance differance, in the future it will be irrelivent. AMD's Opteron and Athlon 64 Processor have onboard memory controlers, so the limit on FSB will be the speed of the memory itself. And with HyperTransport, PCI bus will run at an almost Mainframe class speed meaning no more waiting for incomming data. So there it is, reality. The facts, look them up for yourself. Forgive any typos in this article I am very tired. lol

“Pre-visualization serves two primary purposes -- to sell a concept and save time and money. Our goal was to paint an accurate picture of what "Star Wars Episode II, Attack of the Clones" would look like long before filming was even started. Our AMD Athlon™ MP processor-based systems are ideal for running the extremely powerful software we rely upon. People who visit our lab can see how, using these systems, we are able to answer almost all of the creative questions from the start of shooting to the end of postproduction.”--Daniel Gregoire, manager of JAK Films previsualization lab.
ase500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 03:59   #16
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

I miss my old AMD 400 K6 I know that! I'm using a P2 400 (which is clocked at 401 reading). Have definatly noticed a difference (Yeah I know the AMD is supposed to be an equivalent of a P3).
I'm thinking of changing back when I upgrade to a newer computer (soon as I can afford. The only reason I changed was cause my sound card just wouldn't work with the chipset in the AMD.
So I had to change to intel chipset, which meant switching to my current P2.
So, I have to agree with ase500 on this. Overall, the AMD will be better than Pentium, for me anyway.

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions