Old 30th July 2003, 22:51   #1
geiss
Nullsoft Visualization Developer

Milkdrop 1.04 rc-1 (release candidate 1)

Milkdrop 1.04 RC-1 is here, minus the presets:

http://www.geisswerks.com/t/milkdrop_104_rc1.zip

I think I hit everything on this one. Note that any 1.04 presets that carry an x/y position to the custom waves/shapes via q1-q8 will need updated, as this has been fixed. (See below.) Sorry, but it will be better this way, I'm fairly certain.

CHANGES:

-now sprites can burn-in on any frame, not just on the last frame. set 'burn' to one (in the sprite code) on any frame to make it burn in. this will break some older sprites, but it's super easy to fix, and I think it's worth it. =) thanks to papaw00dy for the suggestion!

-fixed the asymptotic-value bug with custom waves using spectral data & having < 512 samples (thanks to telek's example!)

-fixed motion vectors' reversed Y positioning.

-fixed truncation ("...") of long custom messages

-fixed that pesky bug w/the last line of code on a page

-fixed the x-positioning of custom waves & shapes. Before, if you were saving some coordinates from the preset's per-frame equations (say in q1 and q2) and then you set "x = q1; y = q2;" in a custom shape's per-frame code (or in a custom wave's per-point code), the x position wouldn't really be in the right place, because of aspect ratio multiplications. Before, you had to actually write "x = (q1-0.5)*0.75 + 0.5; y = q2;" to get it to line up; now it's fixed, though, and you can just write "x = q1; y = q2;".

-fixed some bugs where the plugin start up, in windowed mode, on the wrong window (and hence run super slow).

-fixed some bugs w/a munged window frame when the "integrate with winamp" option was checked.
geiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2003, 23:59   #2
papaw00dy

Send a message via ICQ to papaw00dy Send a message via AIM to papaw00dy Send a message via Yahoo to papaw00dy
sweet, thanks a million for included my idea for the sprites. I'll try and put something together for the release by tonight. This is what I was thinking. 10 great sprite settings, configured to use 10 different images. That way the number system will work good allowing you to easily pull up what image you want and do 1 of 10 cool things with it. So 00 - 09, will all show the same image but do something different. I'll try and keep the extra tags in their for the sprite editor that was made awhile back, and post back here when I'm done.

If anybody else has any sprite ideas let me know. This new capability will definately open up tons of new possibilities. Maybe we can even put some image packs together that go with the presets.
papaw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 00:54   #3
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Did you change the shapes x variable or something?

In my Texture Boxes preset, the shapes are farther to the left and go offscreen. I can fix it, by moving them back over, but I was just wonderng.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 01:54   #4
Esotic

Send a message via AIM to Esotic
Resizing Texture Size?

Would it be difficult to make the max larger than 96x72?

My system is running upwards of 100fps on some of the presets running fullscreen at 1024x768 (native resolution of my LCD Projector), which means I have some room to move. Most of them hit between 40 and 70 (with the vsync off).

Or would it be possible to adjust the texture size on the fly to maximize quality while still maintaining the target/maximum FPS (30, in my case).

Everything looks fantastic. Excellent job, Mr Geiss.

-Esotic
Esotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 02:11   #5
Esotic

Lock Preset During A Blend?

Would it be possible to lock the "visual output" during a blend between presets? Like when you hit scroll lock it holds the current preset, but there is no way to hold MD between two presets (which in my mind often looks way more organic and entrancing than most presets - even the fabulous ones - by themselves). It's like having 2 heads, which I hear is better than one.

Or is this currently possible and I'm missing something?

-Esotic
Old 31st July 2003, 02:43   #6
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

We have discussed locking or dumping between presets... search the presets forum there are a few threads about it.
Old 31st July 2003, 04:11   #7
unchained
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to unchained
Tested and working here.

minor quibble: hitting escape from inside of the import/export filename prompt takes me out of the menu system entirely rather than back to the previous menu
unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 05:29   #8
Esotic

Blend Pausing, RC1 Rules

Ok, I went and read this thread related to preset blending:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....threadid=57457

There was a whole bunch of talk about saving during a blend (which consensus nixed whole heartedly), but what about pausing the blend state while it's happening live? I'd be perfectly ecstatic to have that feature.

Nothing to stress on, it would just be a nice feature to use live at my shows. But then again I guess I could just blend back and forth between the two presets for a similar enough effect.

And to keep this at least a smidgen on topic, the RC1 is whipping out frames like fresh creme. Absolutely zero errors to report.

Rock steady,

-Esotic
Old 31st July 2003, 06:03   #9
papaw00dy

Send a message via ICQ to papaw00dy Send a message via AIM to papaw00dy Send a message via Yahoo to papaw00dy
sprites

Well I threw together a sprite ini file using the new burn techniques and the numbering scheme I described above. It's really just a start. I'm sure some of you preset writers out there could come up with some better stuff. But they look cool anyway. If you haven't watched the new burn feature in 3D mode, do it. When I have some more time I'll try and do better. I've attached the ini file and here is a link to 10 sprites I've been using that are numbered to work with the ini file.

http://gwoody.dyndns.org/multi/Milkdrop_Sprites.zip

I love this new milkdrop, kudos to geiss for all the work. We had to wait a while, but it was worth it. I don't think we'll really see what is possible for awhile. So many new things to explore in the milkdrop world.

Good luck with the job situation.

Feel free to include any of my work with the new release if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: zip milk_img.zip (5.0 KB, 218 views)
papaw00dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 06:43   #10
Illusion
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Illusion
Ryan,

Everything looks fine over here, apart from the fact that the song titles still have the problem of truncating the text (....), but the custom messages seem to be able to handle heaps of characters.

I know I've asked this before, but is wrapping text after a set number of characters (specified in the options) possible for custom messages. Or, alternatively, a line break character?

Also, I think Esotic's idea of a dynamic texture size sounds cool, that way you could have the largest possible texture size while still maintaining a constant framerate. Or, if not, an even larger texture size.

I've posted a redone version of the original wishlist here, I think it's down to 11 items now, MD v1.04 managed to implement the other 16
Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 06:49   #11
Rozzor

Congrats on creating a beautiful thing. Those of us who write presets have many many new toys to play with now, and I agree with pappaw00dy, we've only been able to scratch the surface of what is possible.

Attached are my fixed presets -- there were only two that needed a change with this version.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rozzor - fixed for rc-1.zip (3.6 KB, 219 views)
Rozzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2003, 21:59   #12
Esotic

XMas In July, Possible Bug Report

Some fun and simple presets taking advantage of rotating (ang) and texturing 4 shapes.

With an XMas Color Theme, even!

Possible Bug Report... Sometimes my MilkDrop seems to stop receiving wave data from Winamp (like volume, bass, mid, etc), but continues to run and process the time/frame info. I am using the sound off the CD through the Line-In, so it may be Winamps problem, not MD's.

Yours truly,

-Esotic
Attached Files
File Type: zip esotic - xmas in july.zip (5.3 KB, 214 views)
Old 31st July 2003, 22:41   #13
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Quote:
7/28/2003
AOL has told me that thursday is my deadline to find a new position within the company, or get laid off. I'm still exploring what's available, but in either case, it means that my work with Winamp plug-ins will be either severly impacted, or will cease. It is a sad day for visualizations. But it's been a great two years working on them. =) I will post here when I figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Also in the works... a kick-ass version of MilkDrop (1.04) should be coming soon (hopefully by thursday, just in case!). And it's gonna rock your sock off, man...
(since most of you don't post in GD I though i'd paste this here)

Taken from Ryan's site.
Old 1st August 2003, 08:31   #14
Psilocybin

*deleted by psilocybin*
Psilocybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum