Old 17th October 2003, 21:20   #201
Raas

BTW, really lovin' Winamp 5, even if it is a beta (much faster and more stable than WA 2.91!).

Dude are u serious?
I think 2.91 is way more faster and stable.(like 2.81)
It should be shouldn't it???
WA 5 uses almost if not as many resources as WA 3 here.
Old 17th October 2003, 21:21   #202
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
go to the library (alt+L) and click on your CD-ROM drive in the left hand column. "rip" is at the bottom of the main window.
eew, 2x ripping speeds and I have to PAY to rip mp3? Erm, I'm stickin' with MusicMatch for my ripping solutions for now...

[edit]
ok after testing the rip thingy I found out it's not as slow as I thought and I've never heard of AAC compression but it sounds pretty good but still....
[/edit]

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 17th October 2003, 21:22   #203
l_p_4_7

Just tried Winamp5 Beta and I love it!

However, I think the skin list within the program is confusing.

IMO I think they should be seperated into two lists as at the moment it is hard to tell which skins are freeform (modern) or classic from looking at the skins list.
Old 17th October 2003, 21:23   #204
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
General Preferences/File Types -> 'Launch Winamp for audio CDs'
Hey Reaper...I found that and checked it,
but it's still bringing WMP9 up instead of Winamp5.
Old 17th October 2003, 21:23   #205
DELTA75329

Send a message via AIM to DELTA75329
Here's my take...

Winamp3 was a disaster. So much so that a "Winamp3 bitchers post here" thread was created in it's honor. With 52,200+ views, and 1,200+ responses, read that over and tell me what you think it means. Nullsoft should have expected no less after unleashing this disgraceful meltdown on it's loyal fans. The backlash was amazing. Nullsoft didn't like it. I say: how dare Nullsoft have the nerve to release a P.O.S. crapware product and then have the gall to blame it's userbase for rightly asking "Dude, WHAT THE F**K!?"

Regarding "new product" versus "upgrade"... What a mess THAT was. Having 9+ years of computing experience tells me a higher number equals an "upgrade". With Nullsoft's Winamp3, that logic simply doesn't apply here. And with logic being the least of Winamp3's failings, Winamp3 felt more alpha than thing else. With it's un-optimized code, this constantly crashing, anti-social, very uncool resource pig did very little and made you wait forever until it finally decided it wasn't going to it anyway. I called it the bureaucratic MP3 player, as I essentially had to file an application just to get it to anything other than just sit there. I never found out if my requests to do anything useful with Winamp3 were actually approved or if the BSODs I got for my trouble was Winamp3's way of saying: "Not now, dammit! I have a headache." Was Nullsoft trying to set a new standard? Who knows... whatever the case, Winamp3 did everything but deliver.

Winamp3 was no upgrade. A better effort should have been made on Nullsoft's part to distinguish it from WinAmp 2, since Nullsoft insisted that it was a completely separate product, and not the upgrade to WinAmp 2. A more appropriate name might have provided a heads up to Nullsoft's userbase, such as “CrampAmp”. A fitting name indeed, as this prog always seemed to drop dead faster than some tweaked-out raver freak hopped up on six pounds of goofballs. Insanity with the click of a mouse. That will be Winamp3's legacy, right along with the rushed nuclear accident called Netscape 6. To add insult to injury, I don't think the raver made it through OK.

Over a year later, enter WinAmp 5...

This new release is creating a lot of excitement. It's essentially everything people liked about both WinAmps 2 and 3, but with an interesting blast from the past. By now, we all know what the 5 stands for. The fusion of 2 and 3 is a very intriguing premise, made all the more promising by Nullsoft's thoughtful (and correct) decision to base this new player on the proven WinAmp 2 core.

From using this beta, I don't recognize anything about it that caused me to spit out Winamp3 faster than a sip of spoiled rotten milk. Is the the same Nullsoft that, like most of our PCs, crashed royally on Winamp3? If so, something right has finally happened over there. It looks like Nullsoft rebooted and finally got with the program. Indeed a blast from the past, WinAmp 5 is what Winamp3 should have been from the very beginning. And this is just the beta. I can't wait to see what the final release does. For the first time in more than a year, a new WinAmp sounds like music to my ears.

...count me in.

-----------------

A trio of comments on my user experience:

1 - I read a couple of people said this version sounds better than 2.x.. I have to agree with them, but for a different reason. WinAmp 5 by default uses the DirectSound plug-in v2.2.6. I've always used the WaveOut plug-in. When I installed WinAmp 5 and found out that the background hiss *and* the pops from seeking were eliminated, I couldn't believe it. I decided right then and there to use the beta and replace 2.x. It didn't take long for me to figure out that 2.x had this all along. Damn, I should have known! But since it does, the beta stays in it's own directory for now, but I have it as my default player for all audio. When the final comes around, good-bye 2.x! you have served me well. Hello, WinAmp 5... make yourself at home.

2 - The opacity freaking ROCKS, but I was wondering... is there any way to make the transparent windows solid when they have focus, then go back to the previous opacity setting when they do not have focus?

3 - Resources... DAMN, what a difference. From Winamp3, that is. Drastic improvement. The performance is EXACTLY the same as 2.x when the classic skins are used. Very nice. Using modern skins, there is a ever so slight hit on performance, but it is not remotely bad at all. I imagine this will improve by the time WinAmp 5 goes final. As for RAM, not much increase at all from 2.x, and overall this beta is very stable. My concern is this: CPU time. When using the modern skin, CPU time is often well over 60%. It has to do with WinAmp's built-in vis and that (really awesome, btw) beat meter. I have to disable the beat meter to get the CPU time down to respectable levels. I have an Athlon XP 2000+, so the less I cook it, the better. I've noticed this same issue on my Intel 2.4GHz work machine as well. I don't use 3rd party/3D vis plug-ins simply for the fact that they demand too much CPU time, especially since I prefer to run WinAmp right alongside everything else I have running. I know I can adjust the timer resolutions, but the results are, well... you know. If there is anyway to optimize the built-in vis code further, that would be cool. This is the really the only complaint I have on an otherwise worthwhile and exciting release.

On a final note, I just want to say that I can find nothing inherently "wrong" with this beta. I'm actually looking forward to the fixes and speed improvements in the final release. What an INCREDIBLE JOB with this. I can hardly believe everything I loved about WinAmp is about to get better. I gave up in ever upgrading WinAmp after that whole WA3 debacle. You guys at Nullsoft have changed my mind. Thank you for doing justice to the gold standard in *.mp3 players.
Old 17th October 2003, 21:29   #206
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by papadoc
Hey Reaper...I found that and checked it,
but it's still bringing WMP9 up instead of Winamp5.
Do you have 'Music CD Playback' unassociated with WMP? Also, make sure you have CDA associated with Winamp 5.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 17th October 2003, 21:36   #207
sgamer

where are the old-school playlist buttons? anyone? bueller?
Old 17th October 2003, 21:36   #208
GqSkrub
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to GqSkrub
so i've read and enqueuing like winamp3 is gonna be difficult but what about enqueueing like yonido's jump to file component to winamp3?

No sig here folks.
Old 17th October 2003, 21:37   #209
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DELTA75329
So much so that a "Winamp3 bitchers post here" thread was created in it's honor. With 52,200+ views, and 1,200+ responses, read that over and tell me what you think it means.
please note that 137 of those posts were by me, trying to solve problems that people had with winamp3. i think it was the same with a number more of the top posters in that thread.

Old 17th October 2003, 21:43   #210
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Papadoc
Try this regfix (unzip & run .reg file)
Attached Files
File Type: zip audiocd_wa5_winxp.zip (370 Bytes, 129 views)
Old 17th October 2003, 21:44   #211
DELTA75329

Oh one other thing... the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't completely function the same way it did in 2.x; sometimes WinAmp does not respond to input from the wheel. And the multimedia keys on my keyboard don't always work when WinAmp has focus. They work fine if I give another app focus. And they start to work again when WinAmp has focus after losing it and getting it back. I'm not sure what causes the need to drop focus on WA, then give it back in order to get the multimedia keys working again. I'm running Windows XP Pro w/SP1. I use a logitech mouse with the latest drivers, and my keyboard is generic, but Netropa (www.netropa.com, or www.intellinav.com/support) writes the software for the media keys, currently at v4.10 for Windows XP. (Netropa is also very common on HP and Dell multimedia keyboards, so this is a big deal for a lot of people)

My question regarding these concerns is this: Is there a web page we can check to see the known issues with this release? I read somewhere in here that the mouse scroll wheel not working in WA 5 was an already known issue. I'd like to check that and I'm guessing the keyboard is also a known issue. I'd also like to know where I can post a bug report if the issue is not already known. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 17th October 2003, 21:46   #212
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:
Do you have 'Music CD Playback' unassociated with WMP? Also, make sure you have CDA associated with Winamp 5.
Yes..."Music CD Playback" is not checked in WMP,
and CDA is associated with Winamp.
Old 17th October 2003, 21:48   #213
Reaper
Forum King

Quote:
My question regarding these concerns is this: Is there a web page we can check to see the known issues with this release? I read somewhere in here that the mouse scroll wheel not working in WA 5 was an already known issue. I'd like to check that and I'm guessing the keyboard is also a known issue. I'd also like to know where I can post a bug report if the issue is not already known. Thanks in advance for your help!
Known Winamp 5.0 Beta Bugs

Thread to report bugs

papadoc: Try Egg's regfix then to see if it fixes it.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Old 17th October 2003, 21:48   #214
DELTA75329

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
please note that 137 of those posts were by me, trying to solve problems that people had with winamp3. i think it was the same with a number more of the top posters in that thread.

Fair enough.

But you pointing that out might have not had the effect you intended. In fact, it serves to show that Winamp3 had as many problems as users had complaints. Otherwise, those 137 posts, and those of other top posters, might not have been necessary.

Some would argue that you've just made my point better than me.

Old 17th October 2003, 21:52   #215
DELTA75329

Quote:
Known Winamp 5.0 Beta Bugs

Thread to report bugs

papadoc: Try Egg's regfix then to see if it fixes it.
PERFECT...thank you!
Old 17th October 2003, 21:53   #216
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@DELTA75329

There's a couple of sticky threads at the top of the Winamp 2 Bugs forum, one with known bugs, one for reporting new ones. [edit] too slow again [/edit].

All scrollwheel issues are known (eg. controls main volume in some windows). Scrollwheel works in the active window only, eg. by hi-lighting an entry in playlist/ml.

Note: mm kybd & scrollwheel issues only occur with modern (freeform) skins, not with classic skins.

ps. please don't mention wa3bitchlist thread here . . . . purleeeeaaasssee!
Happy days are here again, so let's keep it that way, and let bygones be bygones.
Old 17th October 2003, 21:56   #217
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

Quote:
Some would argue that you've just made my point better than me.
Some would argue that it doesn't bloody matter any more .

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 17th October 2003, 22:00   #218
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@Papadoc
Try this regfix (unzip & run .reg file)
Ran this but still no luck.
I don't have anything associated in WMP,
and everything associated with WA.
Old 17th October 2003, 22:05   #219
mark
Forum King

SOME (as in me) would argue, that winamp3 is like linux. It great when you've just got it, then you try to add something...

i hate rpms with all my heart...
Old 17th October 2003, 22:06   #220
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Papadoc

Tried a reboot?

Also, go to:
Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types tab
Assuming you're using WinXP, the top entry should be:
(NONE) | AudioCD
Hi-lite it and click "Advanced"
Make sure the App Used command line is:
"C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" %1
Use DDE = checkmarked
Application = winamp
Topic = System
(DDE Message & DDE App Not Running = blank)
OK everything.
Old 17th October 2003, 22:10   #221
dougieha

Anyone have any more ideas for my window position remembering problem?

Thought I'd ask again, just for the heck of it. It's annoying in and of itself, but what is even more annoying is that I'm the only one experiencing this problem.

Dougieha

My skins: Sony MPFX3-WA5 (Just for WA 5.x!!) and Sony MPFX3.
Old 17th October 2003, 22:13   #222
mark
Forum King

i thought it was a KNOWN BUG?

no?
Old 17th October 2003, 22:16   #223
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

@ Egg:
Yes...rebooted.
All those values are correct including Action = &Play.

I guess this is a WindowsXP thing with my system,
even though it just started happening after I installed WA5

Last edited by papadoc; 17th October 2003 at 22:43.
Old 17th October 2003, 22:20   #224
dougieha

Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby Nobbs
i thought it was a KNOWN BUG?

no?
Well...everyone I've talked to has said that the known bug has to do with classic skins.

The strange thing is that my classic skins have no problem, only the freeform (new) ones.

So...I'm left utterly confused.

I really like WA5, except for this stupid problem that no one else can seem to reproduce.

Dougieha

Old 17th October 2003, 23:00   #225
mark
Forum King

kick the POS and reinstall
Old 17th October 2003, 23:14   #226
wakingrufus

my winamp5 froze a couple of times today
Old 17th October 2003, 23:17   #227
GarbagePoe

Send a message via AIM to GarbagePoe
The only real problem I have is that I can't use Winamp3 skins. Is it because I don't have Winamp3 on my computer?

i close my eyes to stay blind
Old 17th October 2003, 23:24   #228
Hawk

I noticed that the Invictica skin is very sluggish. It's using between 66% and 76% CPU power. I wonder why that is. Could someone check this for me. Just load Invicta and see how it does?

Also how do I activate the multiple playlist feature?
Old 17th October 2003, 23:25   #229
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Just found out that it cannot play enhanced CD's (I.e CD2 of the Matrix Reloaded OST).
Old 17th October 2003, 23:49   #230
Hawk

Mmmm after trail and error I found out it's the Desktop Alpha Blending. When I activate it my CPU use skyrockets.
Old 17th October 2003, 23:50   #231
dougieha

Quote:
Originally posted by Nobby Nobbs
kick the POS and reinstall
I've uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted every reference to Winamp I could find, etc., and nothing seems to work. I just can't figure out why I'm having this problem and no one else is.

Dougieha

Old 18th October 2003, 00:18   #232
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Hawk
Right click on either of the two light bars in the main Invicta skin window, and change "light mode" to "none" (both "pulse" & "level" use huge cpu cycles, "pulse" especially)

@GarbagePoe
No, you don't need Winamp3 to be installed to use freeform skins in WA5.
What's your Windows OS ?
If not Win2k or XP, then make sure alpha-blending is off in: Prefs -> Modern Skins (though this should be grayed out if running on Win9x/ME).
Note: some skins require alpha-blending.
Does default "modern" skin display ok? If so, then that's a WA3-equivalent skin, but afaik it doesn't use alpha-blending.

@Papadoc
Make sure a music CD is in the drive.
Go to: My Computer
Right click the CD drive, select "properties"
In the "Autoplay" tab, change drop-down menu to "Music CD".
If "Play Audio CD with Winamp" is in the list,
checkmark "select an action to perform", then click on the Winamp icon,
and click Apply -> OK

@Bilbo
Are you sure?
Does it play if you go to:
Main Menu -> Play -> Audio CD ?

@Dougieha
Not forgotten about you . . . still thinking of a possible cause/solution.
Old 18th October 2003, 00:30   #233
GarbagePoe

Send a message via AIM to GarbagePoe
I have 98. I got it to work, it was the skin that wasn't working. Thank you for your help

i close my eyes to stay blind
Old 18th October 2003, 00:39   #234
dougieha

Quote:
@Dougieha
Not forgotten about you . . . still thinking of a possible cause/solution.
Cool...thanks...I'm racking my brain for possible reasons, but I'm coming up blank.

Dougieha

Old 18th October 2003, 00:43   #235
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

a little off topic....

here's teh Winamp 5 screenshot if anyone cares to see it (don't judge it by the image; it pwns more than meets teh eye)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teh-winamp5-screenshot.jpg (90.0 KB, 279 views)

This is a sig of some nature.
Old 18th October 2003, 01:24   #236
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Quote:

@Papadoc
Make sure a music CD is in the drive.
Go to: My Computer
Right click the CD drive, select "properties"
In the "Autoplay" tab, change drop-down menu to "Music CD".
If "Play Audio CD with Winamp" is in the list,
checkmark "select an action to perform", then click on the Winamp icon,
and click Apply -> OK
That did the trick DJ Egg Thanks!
Old 18th October 2003, 01:26   #237
godoncrack
Forum King

I have the most perfect solution
Sit back and let EVERYBODY ELSE get headaches tryin to fix this thing
Holla when yall are done
Old 18th October 2003, 05:35   #238
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I nominate DJ Egg as MOTM (moderator of the month)
You guys know he does this for free and on his own time, right?
Old 18th October 2003, 05:57   #239
DJHotIce
Forum Loser
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to DJHotIce Send a message via Yahoo to DJHotIce
he pushes 25 hours a day!

-DJHotIce
Bounce Multimedia - Professional Web Design
Old 18th October 2003, 06:10   #240
Hawk

Quote:
@Hawk
Right click on either of the two light bars in the main Invicta skin window, and change "light mode" to "none" (both "pulse" & "level" use huge cpu cycles, "pulse" especially)
Disabled all visualisation. Still a CPU use of 65/76% when I enable Desktop Alpha.

Just try it and see. When I disable DA CPU use drops to 4% in a millisecond.

========== :edit: ========

It's the skin. It put's a massive load on the program. Still, it's weird. I would be interested to know if this also happend at earlier alpha's or beta's

Last edited by Hawk; 18th October 2003 at 06:28.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions