Old 13th August 2013, 02:11   #841
webthing
Forum King

webthing goes on a hike

The Stinging Nettle is a dioecious herbaceous perennial, 1 to 2 m (3 to 7 ft) tall in the summer and dying down to the ground in winter. It has widely spreading rhizomes and stolons, which are bright yellow as are the roots. The soft green leaves are 3 to 15 cm (1 to 6 in) long and are borne oppositely on an erect wiry green stem.

The leaves have a strongly serrated margin, a cordate base and an acuminate tip with a terminal leaf tooth longer than adjacent laterals. It bears small greenish or brownish numerous flowers in dense axillary inflorescences.

The leaves and stems are very hairy with non-stinging hairs and also bear many stinging hairs (trichomes), whose tips come off when touched, transforming the hair into a needle that will inject several chemicals: acetylcholine, histamine, 5-HT (serotonin), moroidin, leukotrienes, and possibly formic acid. This mixture of chemical compounds cause a painful sting or paresthesia from which the species derives its common name, as well as the colloquial names burn nettle, burn weed, burn hazel.

As Food

The Stinging nettle has a flavour similar to spinach and cucumber when cooked and is rich in vitamins A, C, iron, potassium, manganese, and calcium. Young plants were harvested by Native Americans and used as a cooked plant in spring when other food plants were scarce. Soaking nettles in water or cooking will remove the stinging chemicals from the plant, which allows them to be handled and eaten without incidence of stinging.

After the stinging nettle enters its flowering and seed setting stages the leaves develop gritty particles called "cystoliths", which can irritate the urinary tract. In its peak season, stinging nettle contains up to 25% protein, dry weight, which is high for a leafy green vegetable. The young leaves are edible and make a very good pot-herb. The leaves are also dried and may then be used to make a tisane, as can also be done with the nettle's flowers.

Nettles can be used in a variety of recipes, such as polenta, pesto and purée. Nettle soup is a common use of the plant, particularly in Northern and Eastern Europe. In Nepal and the Kumaon & Gargwal region of Northern India, stinging nettle is known as Sisnu, Kandeli and Bicchu-Booti (बिच्छू-बूटी in Hindi) respectively. It is also found in abundance in Kashmir. There it is called 'Soi'. It is a very popular vegetable and cooked with Indian spices.

Nettles are sometimes used in cheese making, for example in the production of Yarg and as a flavouring in varieties of Gouda.

Nettles are used in Albania as part of the dough filling for the byrek. Its name is byrek me hithra. The top baby leaves are selected and simmered, then mixed with other ingredients like herbs, rice, etc before being used as a filling between dough layers.

Competitive eating
In the UK, an annual Stinging Nettle Eating Championship draws thousands of people to Dorset, where competitors attempt to eat as much of the raw plant as possible.

Competitors are given 60 cm (20 in) stalks of the plant, from which they strip the leaves and eat them. Whoever strips and eats the most stinging nettle leaves in a fixed time is the winner. The competition dates back to 1986, when two neighbouring farmers attempted to settle a dispute about which had the worst infestation of nettles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

The leaves and stems are very hairy with non-stinging hairs and also bear many stinging hairs (trichomes), whose tips come off when touched, transforming the hair into a needle that will inject several chemicals. This mixture of chemical compounds cause a painful sting or paresthesia.
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 15:43   #842
ujay
Forum King

Old Irish saying :

"Got a face on it like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle"

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 12:34   #843
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

"A head like a spat-out Mintie" is a personal favourite.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 07:12   #844
rockouthippie
Banned

I didn't know they were edible. They get 6 feet high here in Oregon. Marijuana growers like nettle patches because pot patches just about "day-glo" from an aircraft and nettles are the same color.

Take the sting out? Olive oil mixed with crushed banana or plantain.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 22:38   #845
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

around here, it's commonly available as a tea too.
Plantain always grows where there are nettles, and where is plantain, there are nettles too. good to keep in mind.

Didn't buy a new camera, but got a nice 70-300 lens for my Sony A350 for a whopping €20,-

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 23:30   #846
ujay
Forum King

Not sure that is the plantain RoH is talking about, most likely he means a type of banana.
What we call a plantain over here is known as White Man's Footsteps to Americans.
We give the same curative properties to dock leaves in the UK and they are said to grow in the same stops as nettles, both like plenty of nitrogen in the soil.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 00:05   #847
rockouthippie
Banned

^yep.. I meant the banana. White Man's Footsteps is a medicinal herb with antiseptic properties. We also call it a Band Aid plant.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 04:06   #848
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
My camera has something wrong with it. It doesn't make the two clicks when I take a picture, and the shot is distorted when it does; note the horizontal colored lines. Any suggestions as to what to do or what the problem is?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 07:26   #849
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Are you pressing the trigger button down halfway to confirm the focus point, before pressing down all the way to take the shot? If not, try that. Otherwise, *shrug*

Old 3rd March 2014, 14:54   #850
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

with compact camera's, even if they are advanced as your s5, there usually is little you can do. You can try to bring it to a camera shop but I guess the repair costs more than it's current value.

I tried to repair my old A75 when it died, but it clearly wasn't designed to be repaired in any way. you need miniature asian hands to be able to open it up in the first place, and when you get it open, you find out everything is just one huge computerchip.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 3rd March 2014, 18:39   #851
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

/abuses thread for photography promotion: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....96#post2987396

(hardly anyone ever visits that forum so that's why I'm linking, sorry for the doublepost, too late to edit)

Old 4th March 2014, 14:41   #852
webthing
Forum King

Dale's Pale Ale

Wow 6.50% ABV that will rock you.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/6518/
Old 4th March 2014, 14:41   #853
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Are you pressing the trigger button down halfway to confirm the focus point, before pressing down all the way to take the shot?
Every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iomegajaz View Post
Otherwise, *shrug*
That's about where I am right now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior of the Light View Post
with compact cameras, even if they are advanced as your s5, there usually is little you can do. You can try to bring it to a camera shop but I guess the repair costs more than it's current value.

I tried to repair my old A75 when it died, but it clearly wasn't designed to be repaired in any way. you need miniature asian hands to be able to open it up in the first place, and when you get it open, you find out everything is just one huge computerchip.
As nice as the camera is, you're right, it's still a point-and-shoot, and I think I'm stuck with a total loss.

In Southern West Virginia, it is extremely unlikely that there would be any camera shop within an hour's drive. Sadly I may have to get a new camera, and I don't really want to as I've just bought a new high-end GPS and a new giant canister wet-dry vacuum. I try to spread purchases out so as not to mess with my savings which is more for emergencies.

Old 4th March 2014, 19:29   #854
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

You could try to find an enthusiasts forum for your camera. Maybe they've seen this before.
After all, what do random people on a media player's forum here really know about your specific camera?

Old 9th March 2014, 16:24   #855
webthing
Forum King

Susquehanna River - March 8, 2015
Ice striped the bark off the trees at least 25 ft. up

So I was taking some pictures. When I started to hear this noise like wind whipping through the trees. It's getting louder and louder . I'm looking around. I'm looking around.

Old 6th April 2014, 21:27   #856
webthing
Forum King

Sorry about the shakiness. The video can't capture the thrill of standing 10 feet away from 15,000 tons whizzing by you.
I kept thinking.......I'm dead if this thing jumps the tracks.

Old 22nd June 2014, 20:55   #857
sgtfuzzbubble011

So after ~8.5 years, I finally got a new camera to replace my beloved Canon 350D. Over the past year or so, I started noticing hot pixels developing in my long-exposure shots. Astrophotography made them extremely apparent. It was going all patriotic on me with red, white, and blue hot pixels everywhere in the pictures. The longer the exposure, the brighter the pixels. I'm assuming it's a problem with the sensor, and if that's the case, there really isn't anything I can do about it.

I'd been trying to save up money to buy a new camera for a couple years now, but I really hadn't been able to. Rent went up again, had to buy new tires for my truck, etc. Just couldn't manage to save up enough. My dad actually bought me a new Canon T5i and gave it to me when he came over to visit last week. I almost let out a girly squeal when I saw it. I ordered a new battery grip with a built-in intervalometer, an AC adapter kit, a manual 6.5mm fisheye lens, and a 64GB SD card for it. Can't wait for everything to show up so I can take it out and start playing. I'll be making some new time-lapse videos soon.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:25   #858
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

The first feature that jumped out at me is the fold-out screen. I love that feature and used it all the time on the one of mine that's dying.

Did it come with an HDMI cable, or do you have to buy that separate?

Is your old glass (old lenses) within the compatibility range of this camera?

Let me know what you think after about a hundred or so varied shots. I'm still in the market for a good camera, as my old S5-IS isn't any good (see post 848) and my old A-540 has very limited capabilities.

Old 26th June 2014, 04:08   #859
sgtfuzzbubble011

No HDMI cable. It's a miniHDMI port, too. But that's ok. I don't imagine that I'll be plugging my camera directly into my TV much, if ever. I'll check MonoPrice to see how much one costs, though.

Yeah, it's completely compatible with all my old lenses. Haven't really had a chance to take it out and use it yet, but I'll try this weekend. I got my accessories in the mail (lens, SD card, AC adapter a few days ago, and battery grip earlier today), so I'll be ready. I also ordered a 4-pc kit of battery packs (even though I really dislike proprietary designs compared to standard batteries like AAs) from Amazon because they were half the price of a SINGLE retail Canon battery pack, and they come with a battery charger with cigarette lighter adapter. Too good of a deal to pass up, really. And since my battery grip can take both AAs and battery packs, there really wasn't any excuse not to get it. I'm going to try to find the charger by itself and order it as well so that I'll have 2 chargers with 12v car plugs. That'll let me charge 2 at once on the road.

So, the camera shows an estimate based on the memory card capacity and current image quality settings, right? Pretty sure most/all DSLRs have been able to do that for quite a while now. I put that new 64GB SD card in it, and at the highest non-raw settings, it showed an estimated 9100+ shots worth of space available. When I changed the settings to anything less than full quality, the reading just maxed out at 9999. So I'm thinking that if I set it all the way down to just FullHD (well it's 1920x1280 actually), I should be able to get TENS OF THOUSANDS of shots on that single SD card. With a shot every couple seconds or so, I could take time lapses for DAYS.

I need to find out if this thing can handle 128GB cards...
Old 27th June 2014, 02:13   #860
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I think when you get into that much storage capacity, you're really more looking at how much HD video time would be available. I have shot maybe a maximum of 200-300 shots in a day, and that's when I'm hiking on my own.

I hook up a camera to the TV quite often, as I'm usually the one taking pics at an event where people want to see them quickly.

You could do the math if you wanted some entertaining numbers. Shoot some pictures at each resolution, put them on the computer, then find out what the average file size is for each resolution. Then compare that to the 64GB card's capacity.

I like AAs as well. You just never know when something is going to happen when you need batteries quickly. Perhaps it's more a phobia of some sort, but I'm always worried that something will happen and I will lose power to the proprietary batteries.

Old 27th June 2014, 15:33   #861
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

I still love my Sony A350, I use the foldable screen a lot for shots of the kids.
I have two batteries, but in the years that I have it, I have only once had the need for a second battery because it was empty. But indeed, I always carry an extra battery with me. Regular AA's won't work for me I think. I tend to use regular AA's for random reasons so I'm more likely to be out of AA's when I need them.
When I want to watch photo's I just hook up the camera with a USB cable to the Pi that's hooked up to my TV. That or the laptop, depends on where I am.

Old 27th June 2014, 22:11   #862
sgtfuzzbubble011

Quote:
You could do the math if you wanted some entertaining numbers. Shoot some pictures at each resolution, put them on the computer, then find out what the average file size is for each resolution. Then compare that to the 64GB card's capacity.
I was actually thinking of doing just that. gmta

Quote:
Regular AA's won't work for me I think. I tend to use regular AA's for random reasons so I'm more likely to be out of AA's when I need them.
That's one of the main reasons why I got a battery grip for my old 350D (as well as the one I just ordered for my new 700D). If for some unforeseen reason I'm not able to use the battery packs, I can load the battery grip with AAs from any nearby store. You can find them almost anywhere, and that's the main reason why I love them. Even rechargeable AAs are pretty easy to find.
Old 13th September 2014, 16:04   #863
webthing
Forum King

First trip in the canoe.

Old 14th September 2014, 00:25   #864
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Half terabyte SD cards are hitting the market, but with an initial hefty price tag of $800USD.

Dat storage capacity doe.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 07:30   #865
sgtfuzzbubble011

Yeah, I've got a 128GB SD card in my Amazon wishlist right now. It's less than 70 bucks. I'll probably go that route if my 64GB card turns out to be too small.

Half terabyte for $800? Good lord. I'm not even sure if my camera would recognize anything that big. The spec sheet says my camera is compatible with SDXC, but it doesn't give an actual number, and where does that spec top out? 128GB? 256?
Old 5th October 2014, 15:17   #866
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I'm still in not-so-good shape when it comes to cameras. The Canon A540 only takes about 1 in 3 good pictures because of sand stuck in it, and the Canon S5-IS is only capable of taking video now, since it puts nasty lines on the stills as seen on post 848 of this thread. If things work well at work, I'll be shopping for a new camera, but for now, my work future is very uncertain.

Old 27th October 2014, 01:31   #867
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Is this any good?

I really want a camera with the following features that might set it apart from other cameras:

1.) Zoom at least 10x (this has 65x, which isn't useful beyond maybe 40-50)
2.) Full HD video at at least 30fps - this has full HD at 60fps
3.) Good low-light quality when handheld indoors or at night at a campsite - not sure how this will do
4.) A fold-out screen for "selfies" and around-corner reading/shooting - this has that feature
5.) The ability to add a power cord, even if I have to buy it aftermarket
6.) The ability to connect to a television - this has HDMI out, but you have to have an accessory wire - in the bundle in the link above - Do you think it has the old AV out (1/8" jack where the wire converts to RCA cables Yellow for video and Red/White for sound)?
7.) fast recovery, even with flash - I absolutely hate the slow autofocus and flash warmup time of my other cameras

I also want these features that are probably on all cameras these days:

1.) timer
2.) place for tripod to screw in
3.) viewfinder/eyepiece - some cameras have eliminated this, but when it's insanely sunny out, the eyepiece is very useful
4.) built-in flash
5.) a lens cap that won't fall off every time it bumps against my sleeve - this was a problem with the s5-is

Any suggestions, or is the linked camera good? I am not against a true DSLR, but I really don't want to go much over a thousand dollars if possible, after tax and the above wishes are met.

Old 27th October 2014, 01:54   #868
fc*uk

After relying heavily on G2's advice years ago, I bought a D60 because it felt the most comfortable in my hands.

Anyway the D60 I bought does all that you want. I only paid about $500 when it was new/when I bought it.

Point being: go with a mode range dslr; it will do everything you want and serve you for years and years to come.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 14:54   #869
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Is this any good?
If you're ok with images that look like they were taken by a mobile phone (with 60x zoom):
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...-clear-winners

The cheapest entry level dslr or evil/milc will give you much better image quality even with its kit lens. Many of them are available as 2 lens kits with an added tele too, which would give you more than 10x total zoom range if you're willing to change lenses.
Otherwise, 18-200 (or so) lenses aren't that much more expensive either, you'd still stay below $1000 and even though these lenses aren't the greatest optically either, in combination with the much larger sensors they still produce far superior results.
Add to this the better controls, more responsive operation and the fact that you don't have to throw away the lens if the camera fails...
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 02:31   #870
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

So I typed a long and detailed post with questions and information... Got distracted and walked away for half a day and evening, then came back and finished the post, submitted and got the "token expired" message... Lost everything I typed.

G2! So nice to hear from you. Fc*uk, your input is always appreciated too of course. You two know a thing or two about cameras, and I am a bit out of practice when it comes to the topic.

I'm leaning towards an SLR camera, but I'm still not sure what to buy. I haven't been in the SLR world since I stopped using my old, old Minolta x700. I was so happy with it... I accumulated and used a lot of glass and accessories, all in a nice bag. Can old 35mm lenses fit modern cameras? Can I hire a really small engineer to put a digital sensor in my old x700?

Consumer Reports has a scoring system that basically gives you a value-per-price idea. Their top rated SLR cameras were, in order of highest scores first:
1.) Canon T5i $700
2.) Canon 70D $1150
3.) Nikon D7100 $1350
4.) Nikon D3300 $550
5.) Canon SL1 $600
6.) Canon T3i $550
7.) Canon T5 $500
8.) Canon 7D $1300
9.) Pentax K-3 $1200
10.) Nikon D5300

I'd like to note that I take macro shots from time to time. Are some lenses versatile enough to do multiple things? I would rather not have to buy any more than a second lens, at least not to start. I noticed these cameras aren't able to handle 60fps full HD Video unless interlaced. I thought that might be a nice touch if I ever wanted to play something slow motion.

I seem to be asking a lot for little money. That always seems to be the case. My budget is a lot more flexible than it used to be though.

Old 2nd November 2014, 20:54   #871
gaekwad2
Foorum King

First, there's not much of a difference in image quality (Canon's sensors are a bit outdated, therefore noisier at high iso and offer a little less dynamic range but it's not a huge difference, Nikon and Pentax use more or less the same Sony sensors), so if you don't need a certain model's features you'd better look at which system gives you the lenses you want.

Standard zooms often (but not always) offer fairly decent macro capabilities. Maximum magnification should be stated in the specs, as for whether they're sharp at that size you'll have to check reviews or google for sample images. Or add a macro adapter (one that consists of multiple elements, not the cheap magnifying glass in a filter ring type).
For smaller objects you'll need a dedicated macro lens, but since almost all of them are sharp and AF is pretty useless at those sizes anyway you can pick pretty much any you can find used if it's in good condition (especially no scratches or fungus on the glass).

If you do lots of video, fixed lens cameras with 1" sensor might be another thing to look into. At least some of them offer far better video quality since they read all sensor pixels and downsize the image afterwards instead of skipping lines (what this means in practice you can see here if you change the second camera to Nikon D3300).
Old 3rd November 2014, 03:25   #872
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I spent an enormous amount of time reading about and watching videos about the (Panasonic) Lumix FZ1000. It looks pretty impressive for the price. I think I'll like the features and decent quality photos/video, and my wife will like the user-friendliness.

Are accessory kits/bundles worth the extra money or is it just extra junk?
Bundle
Accessory Kit

I'll probably have to get an SD card for this; my best SD cards at present are 4GB SDHC and probably aren't fast.

It costs an extra $100 just to plug the thing into a wall. Perhaps an extra battery is a better choice. Are there better priced options to do this? Are after-market batteries/AC adapters safe choices, or are OEM options the only safe choice?

Is this the holy grail I've been looking for on this budget?

Old 3rd November 2014, 14:48   #873
gaekwad2
Foorum King

The Newegg bundle doesn't look very interesting to me.
The Amazon one supposedly contains only official accessories so the quality shouldn't be too bad. Question is if you need them.
-wireless remote: can be useful especially for tripod shots and long exposures
-sd card: yes, you'll need a new one for video at least (and for 4k better get the fastest you can find)
-macro sert: those seem to be single element ones (magnifying glass), I'd rather go with a Raynox or similar, if you even need one since the camera can focus to 3cm (though probably only at full wideangle)
-flash: I'd rather save up for a better one with articulated reflector for bounce flash, this one will give you more reach and less red eye but you'll still get the harsh frontal flash look
-wide and tele converters: if you need them and the quality doesn't suffer too much
-filter kit: polarizer yes, many people use a uv filter as lens protector (as filter it's superfluous since there's already one inside the camera), as for the fluorescent light one, there should be white balance settings for that (I still have one from shooting film but never used it with digital)
-extra battery: definitely more useful than an AC adapter (except maybe for a studio set up)
-charger: if the camera can only charge batteries internally it can get a bit annoying (no charging one battery while using the other) but you'll have to decide whether that's a problem for you

So I guess it all depends on whether you'd buy enough of the items in this kit separately to get over the ~$200 this costs more than the camera alone.

Quote:
Are after-market batteries/AC adapters safe choices, or are OEM options the only safe choice?
I had two OEM batteries so far. One lasted longer than the original, the other died after slightly over a year. Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
Is this the holy grail I've been looking for on this budget?
There are always trade-offs. The biggest one here seems to be corner sharpness (which is a weakness of slr kit zooms too though). The RX10 is better in that regard but has other downsides.
Old 4th November 2014, 00:23   #874
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I think I really like this camera. Others in this class have a couple advantages here and there, but this seems to be loaded with far more.

The Canon G7X was rated a higher for a some still-shot situations, and the Sony RX10 had f2.8 for a bigger portion of it's zoom lens plus minor feature here and there (headphone jack, etc.), but for what I'm really looking for, this Panisonic seems to be the better choice. I never thought I'd choose anything beyond Canon or Nikon, but I think it's time to change, especially after the sensor in my last Canon died.

I'm starting to seriously look into this bundle, because even a few items in it would make the extra hundred dollars worth it, e.g. two batteries, the mini-to-regular HDMI, the remote, and the 64GB speed 10 card. Even if I never use the other stuff (probably just as toys), it looks like I'd get my money's worth. Please let me know if I'm misinformed, but it seems like a good amount of useful stuff for the price; hopefully it won't be too cheap quality (only the stuff in the camera box is original manufacturer, the bundle stuff appears to be aftermarket).

One confusing point about the bundle though; how does the wireless shutter button communicate with the camera? I think Panasonic only offers a wired option. Does the aftermarket option add something that Panasonic didn't attempt?

The camera seems to be reasonably equipped with in-the-box accessories such as a lens hood, external charger, basic strap, battery, usb, and hotshoe insert. One disappointment is that it looks like there's no strap for the lens cap. I like a dangling lens cap so that I don't lose it while wading in a stream. Are there solutions for this?

I'm going fixed-lens for a lot of reasons including the video sensing advantage; but mostly because I can't get alone-time enough to make real photography a hobby. These advanced point-and-shoots seem to give me a lot of flexibility, decent quality, and more affordable pricing, in a single unit that is fast enough to operate before those with me get too impatient. Plus every once in a while when I do get some time alone, I'll still have a lot to work with.

Your opinions matter a lot in my selection process because people on this forum have better experience and knowledge than anyone I know in real life when it comes to digital cameras.

Any last-minute red flags, or should I buy?

Old 4th November 2014, 02:57   #875
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Quote:
I'm starting to seriously look into this bundle, because even a few items in it would make the extra hundred dollars worth it, e.g. two batteries, the mini-to-regular HDMI, the remote, and the 64GB speed 10 card. Even if I never use the other stuff (probably just as toys), it looks like I'd get my money's worth. Please let me know if I'm misinformed, but it seems like a good amount of useful stuff for the price; hopefully it won't be too cheap quality (only the stuff in the camera box is original manufacturer, the bundle stuff appears to be aftermarket).
For $100 it may be worth getting, though if it's all aftermarket just the items you listed might be cheaper separately.
Quote:
One confusing point about the bundle though; how does the wireless shutter button communicate with the camera? I think Panasonic only offers a wired option. Does the aftermarket option add something that Panasonic didn't attempt?
Either it uses the camera's WiFi (not sure if that's possible) or it comes with a receiver dongle that plugs into the remote socket, or the dealer threw it in the bundle even though it doesn't even work with that camera (wouldn't be the first time that happened).
I'm a bit skeptical about the included mini tripod too, it looks more like something you'd use with a pocket camera.
Quote:
The camera seems to be reasonably equipped with in-the-box accessories such as a lens hood, external charger, basic strap, battery, usb, and hotshoe insert. One disappointment is that it looks like there's no strap for the lens cap. I like a dangling lens cap so that I don't lose it while wading in a stream. Are there solutions for this?
There are several types of lens cap holders available (but check the reviews, some seem to use weak adhesive causing the cap to fall off).
Quote:
I'm going fixed-lens for a lot of reasons including the video sensing advantage; but mostly because I can't get alone-time enough to make real photography a hobby. These advanced point-and-shoots seem to give me a lot of flexibility, decent quality, and more affordable pricing, in a single unit that is fast enough to operate before those with me get too impatient. Plus every once in a while when I do get some time alone, I'll still have a lot to work with.
An slr isn't necessarily more difficult to use, especially since this camera is pretty much designed to work like one. You can point and shoot with an slr too, in fact I'd bet that most of them are used like that.

The Panasonic's main advantage is video (and the silent shutter, you won't get that on an slr (or most mirrorless system cameras for that matter)).

The main weakness, compared to an slr with superzoom lens, is that the image quality drops more quickly in low light (the faster lens (2.8-4 vs. 3.5-6.3) doesn't quite make up for the smaller sensor area), but in decent light conditions the 1" sensor's output is good enough that jpeg processing quality makes more of a difference (unless you shoot raw, which I guess you won't do though).

There's no real wrong choice here, that's what makes it so difficult.
Old 4th November 2014, 14:17   #876
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Oh and about the filters: You can use the uv one as a cheap lens protector but since it's most likely uncoated it will increase flare and reflections so if you notice problems with that you'll probably have to take it off in backlight situations or when shooting at night with streetlights in the scene at least.
Old 4th November 2014, 19:00   #877
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I decided to order the camera without the bundle. I had made phone calls to a camera shop, Amazon, and Panasonic, and they said to get things separately.

So far I have bought the camera with in-the-box stuff, and an additional battery from Panasonic, which sadly was around $67. Too many people told me not to gamble with aftermarket powering options.

I still need an SD card, and from what I understand I need a U3 rating for the top video setting. The only question now is what capacity. I'll look up how many minutes (or how many 29:59 sections, as the video length per recording is limited) each card can hold.

-edit: I'm reading 90 minutes with a 64GB card. Now to shop.

-edit2; got a new 64GB card. I don't know if my desktop tower's or laptop's card readers will read SDXC. I know the desktop can handle SDHC, but not sure about SDXC.

Old 11th November 2014, 02:26   #878
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I have all the camera stuff I ordered, except this, which is really slow to arrive; they're saying anywhere between December 2 and December 28!. I think they're shipping this one from Neptune. It is supposed to work with the wired remote shutter input. DP review claims it works on the Lumix FZ1000 that I bought.

I will post some sample pics later; for now I'm still learning the camera. So far so good. I have taken some pictures of my 2.4 year-old daughter running around like an excessively happy maniac in low-indoor-lighting, and they came out ok. Just a little bit of trailing; no noise that I can see, but a little yellow for my taste. I need to learn some of the manual features. Burst mode isn't great indoors, but it seems acceptable. I need a flash that can handle burst mode, but that would probably blind everyone if such a thing existed.

I took a couple pics of a poured beer beside it's empty bottle with and without flash. I don't seem to have to be careful like I used to when it comes to nasty flash reflection off the glass, bottle, bottle cap, and glossy label. It's minimal. Is there something I can rig to minimize it further? Maybe make a wire frame for a bedsheet or facial tissue to make the flash softer? The camera will be used a lot for product photography.

Some good news:

The cheap card reader I bought back in 2008 when putting my current computer tower together seems to work with the SDXC card I ordered. I knew it could handle SDHC, wasn't sure about SDXC. I was afraid I'd have to order a new reader or be stuck with a USB reader that I'd likely lose.

I'm still in the market for maybe a filter or two. What filters would I need that this camera lacks internally? Polarizer? Also, is there a filter that acts like sunglasses so that I can use a slower shutter speed (or open shutter for waterfalls)? This thing is labeled as a 62mm fitting for screw-ons. Any suggestions?

As far as add-on lenses, I feel that 16x zoom is enough for all I want. I haven't taken enough macro shots yet to know if it's worth getting add-ons for that. Not sure if I need any fish-eye or wide angle attachment; probably not necessary, at least for now.

I do definitely need a mini-hdmi to regular hdmi cable. Any suggestions, or are they all pretty reliable and functional for 4K video these days?

I'll be getting a lens cap string soon. It is already a pain to keep track of the cap. I need it to dangle from the camera strap when not on the lens.

This post is getting too long. Thanks for reading if you did. And thanks a million for all your input fc*uk and G2. You kept me from buying a shitty camera with features that don't work well, and led me to this, which hopefully will be a good value. I have a lot of respect for you and value your opinions and information.

Old 11th November 2014, 03:34   #879
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

Quote:
I do definitely need a mini-hdmi to regular hdmi cable.
I bought a bunch of these a year or two back for about $2 a pop, not appreciating they were HDMI to HDMI Mini, and to this point I have had no use for them. The Asus Transformer tablet, on which I have had my eye recently, has an HDMI Mini port, but I haven't yet convinced ShyShy that I "need" the tablet.

I would mail you one (or three) but it would cost 14.10 AUD for postage. Postage prices are through the roof these days.

Old 11th November 2014, 04:05   #880
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

We need bridges here in the USA. More than half our bridges are past their expected life and are at risk for sudden damage. The most widely accepted (by our government officials) solution is to tax gasoline and diesel fuel, so that those who use the bridges the most pay for them. This in turn will affect shipping rates, and therefore just about any tangible object bought and/or sold. There are a lot of pros and cons to this approach, but I guess the problem needs to be solved somehow.

I just bought a new water cooler for my work office. The shipping was over $50 for it, and it doesn't include the water or its jug. It really is getting pretty ridiculous.

Either way, I need to make a correction to my previous post. It looks like I need a micro hdmi to regular hdmi wire, not mini. I didn't realize until doing some googling that there was indeed a difference. Why couldn't they just start with the micro and stick with it?

The tablet is better for your health than stress-relief medication, over time will cost less overall, and does a better job at relieving stress. It is indeed a need! (Please don't hit me!)

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions