Old 5th February 2009, 03:20   #1
DerMeisenmann

AppleMobileDeviceService.exe

Is AppleMobileDeviceService.exe a process required by the ipod-plugin (or Winamp), or is this a remnant of Apple iTunes and I can I terminate it?
DerMeisenmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 05:07   #2
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

If you have an iPod touch or iPhone, you need AMDS and QuickTime installed for ml_iPod to be able to recognize the device. Otherwise, it's not needed and you can just uninstall it through Control Panel ("Add/Remove Programs" under XP, "Uninstall a program" under Vista and Win7).

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 01:41   #3
DerMeisenmann

OK, I did that and now Winamp won't recognize my ipod anymore when I plug it in. I have a 4th gen. ipod nano 16gb. Thanks :-(

I guess I need to reinstall it, but I don't know how to get just AMDS without having to install iTunes??
Old 13th February 2009, 02:19   #4
fatcerberus1
Major Dude

AMDS isn't required for the 4G nano as it's a mass storage device, so Windows should assign it a drive letter like any other USB disk without any additional drivers. If you uninstalled AMDS and your nano stopped working, though... not sure what happened.

Anyway, to reinstall AMDS without installing iTunes, you can just rename the iTunes installer to a .zip file, open it, and extract AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi from it, then run that MSI.

Windows 7 Beta
iPod touch (Second Generation), 8GB
Winamp 5.55 with ml_iPod 3.08
fatcerberus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009, 04:06   #5
DerMeisenmann

Well, I figured it out. When uninstalling AppleMobileDeviceService.exe somehow the apple ipod USB driver gets affected/corrupted, at least that's what happened on my machine. There was an exclamation mark by the ipod USB driver in the device manager. I had to reinstall it, after that it worked again.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp iPod Plugin Discussion