Old 30th May 2009, 01:02   #1
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

A real productive post from me, seriously

i'm starting to learn CSS and webpage design, i actually went on and researched a bit and even started using dreamweaver.

i want to do this 3 column layout where i have 1 side to be ads only, and other... navigation bar and so on.

i've already seen this done in code, i've inspected free css layouts and they always do it in this order:

header
main content
left sidebar
right sidebar

but why?, wouldn't it be more logical if it went like:

header
left sidebar
main content
right sidebar?
(i'm only talking about the coding side)

can i also just put the whole layout in a big wrapper and put each column in its own wrapper and float each of them to the left? (i would have to set widths for each column wrapper, right?)
kingo'mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 03:08   #2
skryingbreath
Post initializing...

Putting all of your ads on one side of the page is not going to make you any money.
skryingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 08:10   #3
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Re: A real productive post from me, seriously

Quote:
Originally posted by kingo'mountain
i'm starting to learn CSS and webpage design, i actually went on and researched a bit and even started using dreamweaver.

i want to do this 3 column layout where i have 1 side to be ads only, and other... navigation bar and so on.

i've already seen this done in code, i've inspected free css layouts and they always do it in this order:

header
main content
left sidebar
right sidebar

but why?, wouldn't it be more logical if it went like:

header
left sidebar
main content
right sidebar?
(i'm only talking about the coding side)

can i also just put the whole layout in a big wrapper and put each column in its own wrapper and float each of them to the left? (i would have to set widths for each column wrapper, right?)
A few years ago I could have answered that question but now I've forgot.

A List Apart always has nice articles on this kind of stuff (and a lot of other cool stuff) - http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail/

And this also looks interesting. - http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-3-column.htm
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 08:13   #4
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
It really does not matter how you arrange your code as long as you make it work the way you wish.

As for your choice of going about and coding... Ew. But that is my personal opinion I do it all from scratch.

As for the big wrapper, yes you probably could but I could not possibly imagine why. There are rules to HTML and CSS that can be bent to many design possibilities.

Try something new. I'd offer my help but I wont because I'm tired of web design and development.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 09:07   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by skryingbreath
Putting all of your ads on one side of the page is not going to make you any money.
Correct. The best performing ad format is 300X250 blocks.. .. toward the left... everything should always be on the left or embedded in content.

As far as what order you do the style sheet. It doesn't matter and there is really no convention and they are a big pain in the ass.

If you are going to use Google ads, it might be a good idea to make sure that whatever block you put the ads in comes out first in the html, so that the spider searching it thinks it's on the top of the page, even if it isn't when looked at by a human... I *think* it matters.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 01:30   #6
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
I've always had a problem with centering google ads in firefox, no idea why I never really worried about it mainly because I did not care.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 02:58   #7
Paul_Bags
Major Dude

I think the main reason would be that if your style code gets borked somehow the order you have the content in the HTML is how it's displayed, so if you put the content closer to the top it's easier to read if the CSS gets broken or simply doesn't load.
Paul_Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 05:03   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mike-db
I've always had a problem with centering google ads in firefox, no idea why I never really worried about it mainly because I did not care.
Yeah it's screwy. Put them inside a table. Ugly, but it works. How I figured that out was I went to a web site that had centered ad blocks? I thought. How the hell did he do that when it's always screwed up for me. That was the way.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions