Old 6th May 2013, 15:50   #1
Overcast451

ShoutCast Choppy Audio

Hey, I'm starting to look into some 'online DJing' with ShoutCast, but I'm having an issue when I attempt to use the 'Soundcard Input'.

If I just just 'Winamp' the stream is just fine, tested at 96k and 128k, no issues, but when I use the 'Soundcard Input' - the stream gets 'choppy' or 'skippy' - like there is packet loss for instance. It's not the connection for sure - with the source for ShoutCast set to 'Winamp' it's perfectly clear.

I'm using an older SoundCard (SB Audigy) - it's a nice card, but it's not terribly new. I also have an onboard soundcard that - for some reason, Windows doesn't want to seem to use it..

But in any event - the older Audigy was a pain to just get working.

I've tried tweaking sound levels, but the stream stays choppy no matter what, pretty consistently, although maybe just a 'bit' less if the MIC isn't keyed.

I guess my main question is... can I do a quitable job with being an online DJ if I just buy a new sound card? I could get a mixer if really needed, but I'm not sure why it would be necessary...

I would prefer something newer than this Audigy and something better than my onboard. I'm guessing from some of the posts I ran across here that it's possibly the driver - which might make sense, with it likely being a 32bit driver running under Win7 x64.

I was kind of looking at: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio ( http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...i_Xtreme_Audio )

Any suggestions?
Overcast451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 16:22   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
older soundcards aren't a problem. I have machines from 2002 still running SC on input.

what I would check are the drivers, and I would disable the onboard audio in BIOS if I was going to use the Audigy card. otoh, I would uninstall the Audigy if I was going to use the onboard card.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 16:25   #3
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast451 View Post
If I just just 'Winamp' the stream is just fine, tested at 96k and 128k, no issues, but when I use the 'Soundcard Input' - the stream gets 'choppy' or 'skippy' - like there is packet loss for instance. It's not the connection for sure - with the source for ShoutCast set to 'Winamp' it's perfectly clear.
ensure you're using the current version of the Source DSP as there were issues with soundcard input sampling with older versions - if this is still happening against v2.3.2 (current at the time of reply) then other than checking / updating audio drivers just incase, there's little that can be officially done to resolve the issue (let alone replicate it as i don't have access to a dedicated soundcard - just onboard which works fine).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 17:42   #4
Overcast451

ok - I'll try the onboard - the older sound card - I don't believe.. has updated drivers for Win7 x64, so I think that option isn't going to work.

I believe the nVidia driver's loaded for the onboard, but for some reason Windows doesn't seem to let me want to use it. I checked yesterday and the onboard audio is enabled.

Thanks - I'll remove the drivers, then the SB and see if it works better.

And.. everything else should be pretty current, but I'll double check - I just re-installed WinAmp and ShoutCast with my last OS re-install about 3 months ago.
Overcast451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support