• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • . - .... .- -. ....
    Backpacking
    • Nov 2000

MP3 Output plugin

A point that has been arising again and again in the tech support forums is the matter of converting CD tracks (and any other format) to mp3. While converting file formats to wav poses no problem - the Diskwriter plugin being packaged with winamp - converting to mp3 requires that the user must first download and install the MP3 Output Plugin. Not a difficult task I know, but when you see that plugins such as the WMA Output plugin comes prepackaged, one wonders why it's not the same with the MP3 plugin?

My own view on this is that Winamp is primarily centred around the mp3 industry, so why not provide the facilities to convert to this format. The Diskwriter and WMA Output plugins come a poor second and third in comparison, especially as it's no longer necessary to convert to wav to create an audio CD.

Is there any problems with this? The MP3 Output plugin is developed by Nullsoft so ownership issues shouldn't be a problem? Is there any other reasons why this plugin can't be packaged?

Notes from the powers that be, as well as user opinions are welcomed...
    Like my photography? Buy some here....
  • PP
    ist death
    • May 2000

geez, why ? my out_disk can encode mp3 as well (using windows codecs, the same way as Justin's mp3 output plugin does).

Comment

• DJEgg
      Spectral Techorator
      • Jun 2000

Doh! Now he tells us lol

Of course, I always wondered why there was a "convert to format" checkmark in the config. Just click the little button thing at the side and change the format from PCM to MPEG Layer 3.

Doh!

btw, TGSH needs updating with this info!

Though, ya know what the next influx of questions will be . . .

"Why does it only go up to 56kbps?"

Playlist | Twitter | Albums

Comment

• PP
        ist death
        • May 2000

conclusion: please study the latest version before posting

i'd love to know why this was originally posted on bugz forum btw.

1 more: if you want to get something bundled with winamp, go flame Justin on #nullsoft (you know where).

Comment

Working...
        X