Old 5th June 2010, 16:13   #1
square pegger

Gabest MKV splitter for MKV?

Winamp 5.572
Windows XP Pro SP3

I've read the posts about non-Pro users and MKV video.

Right now, I've got the Gabest MP4 splitter and ffdshow because I view MP4 video every day. The Gabest MP4 splitter and Haali's Matroska splitter cannot be used together from what I understand, so all I can find on this forum is the recommendation to use the Haali Matroska splitter and the Haali MP4 splitter if I want to view both MP4 video and MKV video. (MP4 video not as good with Haali splitter.)

There's a Gabest Matroska splitter out there in the wild. Is there a way to get this working for MKV videos in Winamp while keeping the Gabest MP4 splitter as well?

Right now, all I get is guaranteed Winamp crashes with MKV videos if I use both Gabest splitters and add ";MKV" to my in_dshow.dll.
square pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 16:27   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Haali's Splitter handles both mkv & mp4

But you'll need to remove Gabest Splitter first.

Re: Separate Gabest MP4 & MKV splitters
I haven't tried that combination before.
As far as I know, the Gabest MKV Splitter is old & outdated.

What DirectShow filter/decoder are you using in conjunction with the splitter(s)? FFDShow?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 17:09   #3
square pegger

Got it limping

I forgot to mention that I ran "regsvr32 MatroskaSplitter.ax" after I put it into my C:\Windows\system32 folder with my other AX files.

When it didn't work, I unregistered the splitter via "regsvr32 /u MatroskaSplitter.ax" and voila! I could suddenly watch an MKV video with Winamp and I can still watch MP4 videos too. 2 Gabest splitters.

Problem is the video performance is terrible in Winamp with this splitter (jerky, occasional brief blank moments). When I watch the same MKV video with DivX Pro Player, it's a million times better--smooth as can be. (It's an HD video I'm looking at, AVC 1920x800 25fps video, 48Kbps LC-AAC audio.)

I'm using ffdshow tryouts revision 3355 dated April 11 2010. I'm not big on Beta software.

The latest Gabest MKV splitter I could find is version 1.0.3.1 dated December 10 2008. I think you're right about the Gabest MKV splitter; development stopped and it's now unsupported. I think that's the problem.

My current thoughts are to skip the Haali splitter, watch MP4 video with Winamp and the Gabest splitter and watch MKV video with DivX Pro Player. This would end my preference for having Winamp as my only media player. So it goes.
square pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
gabest, matroska, mkv, mp4, splitter