Old 24th June 2010, 07:32   #1
werty98

Is it possible to sell third-party Winamp plug-ins?

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering about the copyright terms of Winamp SDK, which is used to program Winamp plug-ins. I cannot find any term about Winamp SDK, but within the code there are some comments like this: "please feel free to develop your own plug-in based on this framework". Does that mean Winamp SDK is totally free, and third-party developers can sell out their plug-ins without any royalty going to Winamp :-) ?

Thanks,
werty98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 07:47   #2
DrO

the contents of the sdk are basically under a bsd/zlib style license so as long as you don't do anything to break the license then you'll be ok. the issue is more in getting people to pay for a plug-in as too many users expect plug-ins to be free considering the player is as well - just mentioning this incase you're expecting to make your first million with it (and if you do i'd love to know how as i've made more than my own share of plug-ins for little financial reward, heh).

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 22:31   #3
werty98

Thank you for your instant reply. I believe that, if a developer seriously want to make millions from plug-ins, she/he will develop her/his owned media player first. I was just talking about Winamp plug-ins as extra features of a separate software product.

BTW, did Nullsoft explicitly declare somewhere that Winamp SDK is under BSD/ZLIB-style license?

Thanks again :-)
werty98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 14:01   #4
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by werty98 View Post
BTW, did Nullsoft explicitly declare somewhere that Winamp SDK is under BSD/ZLIB-style license?
well that was what i've been told the license is by the developers many years ago and i think it's able to be worked out from the license in the tops of some of the header/source files in the sdk.

my point about making millions was meant to be a bit on the light hearted side as i've seen people hoping to get loads of money either paid or via donations and then getting nothing.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development