Old 26th July 2009, 08:50   #1
Xetick

Plane9 in review since May 27

Hello

I submitted a new visualizer called Plane9 for review on May 27 and it's still in review. Just wondering how long time it will take before a new plugin submission is approved/disapproved.

http://www.plane9.com/plane9/index.php

Xetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 21:52   #2
DrO

all depends on who does it. from a quick look i'm a bit dubious about the submission in it's current form as the onus seems to be placed on it being a screensaver rather than a Winamp visualisation as the aim of submissions on the site is for Winamp centric additions rather than mainly Windows additions. if it was purely a packaging of just the Winamp vis plugin then i wouldn't find too much of an issue to review it.

also as it appears to be a limited version which should ideally be mentioned in the submission info. and the final thing (am sure i'm not being liked by now), the uninstaller failed to remove the vis.dll and a number of other files in the Plane9 folder which did concern me somewhat.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 08:02   #3
Xetick

Thanks for the information!

It's all I need so I know what should be changed. I'll verify so everything is removed. I know I dont remove settings and custom scenes stored in the users folder since a lot of work could have gone it them. But I'll see if I can't add a option that asks if the user wants to remove that data too.

The installer does contain everything since it adds just a few kb in size for the WMP plugin and the screensaver that I guess a lot of users also want to try. However I didn't think you would care about any such extras. If it's not acceptable from a submission stand point I will of course remove the installer option for the screensaver and the WMP plugin. Then the users can download the full installer from my web page if they want the extras.

I'll do a resubmit again when I have fixed this.

Regards
Joakim E.
Old 30th July 2009, 19:12   #4
DrO

it was mainly from the initial observation that the screensaver appeared to be the main thing referenced which seemed in conflict with the idea behind the plugin site. am glad you followed what i was trying to say as i'd feared getting a sour reply back

one option would be to have the winamp plugin as the default option and the screensaver, etc as options lower down the list or some additional reference on how to get the additional versions - just throwing some thoughts out.

i've rejected the review so you can resubmit against the same submission once you're sorted.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 19:53   #5
Xetick

It took a while, summer and all, but now I have submitted v1.1. All points should be addressed. I also added some basic multimonitor fullscreen support and a context menu to choose scene.

I hope you get some time to check if it passes this time.
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:08   #6
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
I have reviewed this now.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/222089

I enjoyed it. Some nicely executed ideas there.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 07:30   #7
Xetick

Thanks!

Now I can finally start to see if I can't create some of the more advanced time consuming scenes I have on my todo list.

/J
Old 3rd October 2009, 17:59   #8
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
cool look forward to it.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 18:54   #9
sturza

Send a message via ICQ to sturza Send a message via AIM to sturza Send a message via MSN to sturza Send a message via Yahoo to sturza Send a message via Skype™ to sturza
Hi, friend ! How to install Plane9 to Winamp, pls ?

Very nice work, i have to say. Well, i dont understand much about visualizations and plugins, but ive noticed plane9 doesnt install automatically to winamp, or did i do wrong ? Then i decided to copy vis_plane9.dll and paste it into winamp's plugin folder and at first sight it looks to have worked, althoug lacking some regular visualization features, like showing song title and going full screen. Is there any other way to install plane9 to winamp ? On the other had, id like to ask u why one reads nowhere how to install plane9 to winamp. Thanks in advance for a reply and keep on the good work.
Jose Roque Sturza
from Santiago RS Brazil
sturza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 21:37   #10
Xetick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturza View Post
Very nice work, i have to say. Well, i dont understand much about visualizations and plugins, but ive noticed plane9 doesnt install automatically to winamp, or did i do wrong ? Then i decided to copy vis_plane9.dll and paste it into winamp's plugin folder and at first sight it looks to have worked, althoug lacking some regular visualization features, like showing song title and going full screen. Is there any other way to install plane9 to winamp ? On the other had, id like to ask u why one reads nowhere how to install plane9 to winamp. Thanks in advance for a reply and keep on the good work.
Thanks!

You didn't do anything wrong. The current version doesnt detect the winamp directory correcty. It assumes you have installed winamp into the default directory. This error has been fix so it will be in the next release.
I dont have any reports on that fullscreen doesnt work. Fullscreen toggle exist on the context menu (Might require a "modern" skin to see that) and if you double click on the visualizer window. Showing the sontitle however hasn't been added yet. But it is on my list of things to do.

Cheers!
Old 9th May 2010, 22:19   #11
sturza

Send a message via ICQ to sturza Send a message via AIM to sturza Send a message via MSN to sturza Send a message via Yahoo to sturza Send a message via Skype™ to sturza
Aha, thanks for ur attention and reply

Well, fullscreen i have to setup manually by dragging the edges (no problem for me, while i wait for a betterment). As for the winamp skin, u r right. I use the classic skin since im stuck to it and so far nobody convinced me of doing differently . As for plane9 screensaver, i must confess i dont like screensavers, but those of plane9 i found so cool ill install them on all of my computers. Anyway, im sure little by little ull work on plane9 for a future complete integration with winamp and all of its skins, since ur work is really promising.
Thanks again, friend.
Jose Roque Sturza
from Santiago RS Brazil
Old 16th May 2010, 06:51   #12
sturza

Hi, friend ! Its me again. Im afraid i have to tell u my graphics card ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series on my notebook hp pavilion zv6000 doesnt play plane9 as winamp visualization or screen saver. The error i receive is that my graphic card doesnt support open gl 2.0 and im advised to upgrade my graphics card. I checked and concluded unfortunately that isnt possible for ive already got the latest driver and it didnt go on. Of course my other computers do support opengl 2.0 and can perfectly play plane9, but i just happen to use more often that notebook (btw, by that time i needed 2 or 3 years to save the money to buy it, but just ok ...). Now, my question wud be why not making plane9 compatible with graphic cards released at least 5 years ago ? I dont mean myself, but some people really cant buy the latest machines and must keep their old ones which dont any longer support driver updates. Just a friendly suggest. Again, thanks for ur attention.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:20   #13
sturza

Hi, friend ! Its me again and again. After i dont know how many hours of driver checking (i have to tell u that my driver checking progs are paid for), 6 or 7 beer tins and dont know how many donna summer's songs, im glad to tell u that for those kids who have an hp pavilion zv6000 with a graphics card ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series, they can run plane9 after having updated their graphics cards to the latest driver v. which can be download from http://www.drivermilk.com/DriverDown...-64_dd_ccc.zip. First of all, i must confess i aint good at computing, but i succeed thru insisting - i never easily accept a failure. I go on till i get success. At least on computing, for on the other areas i act as most human beings do. So, hoping to have been of service, best wishes to u and family from my country, Brazil.
Old 23rd July 2010, 14:17   #14
Xetick

Hi sturza!

Not sure how I missed your last messages before but it might have been a good thing. Because if I would have seen your first question I would have told you that it probably wouldn't work on you laptop. Some graphics cards, specially integrated on the motherboards and on laptops, are really slow when it comes to 3d. Others don't support the OpenGL 2.0 API that came out over 6 years ago that I require.
The simple answer for requiring OpenGL 2.0 is that it speeds up the development process and simplifies everything quite a bit. For example without that requirement I would have to disable specific scenes that had to use OpenGL 2.0 functionality and explain to the user why they can't see that really nice scene they wanted to see.

Cheers!
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Developer Center > Winamp Development