Old 30th December 2016, 23:00   #1
BBear

Winamp Replacement?

Hi guys,

Been using Winamp longer than I can recall... maybe since early 2000s when I started my MP3 collections..

I love it but I understand that it is eventually going away.... I've been completely out of the loop and Winamp-whipped for all these years, so I don't even know what is out there as a replacement.

Could someone list the most likely platform Winamp players migrated to? What is out there, other than iTunes and Windows Media Player?

I am feeling the pressure to consider migrating because of Serato DJ, btw. I feel i wont be able to stick to Winamp forever so I better learn the options now....
BBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 17:51   #2
thevan

Clementine ain't too bad, but I still use Winamp myself (for local stuff anyway).

Are you having any problems with it? What's the deal with Serato? They won't talk to each other?
thevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 22:07   #3
LAMBDA471

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevan View Post
Clementine ain't too bad, but I still use Winamp myself (for local stuff anyway).

Are you having any problems with it? What's the deal with Serato? They won't talk to each other?
Ironically, I was just eating a tangerine and thought of the Clementine player and decided to download it (before reading your reply) and I tested it if I can replace Winamp (which I'm currently using to primarily listen to Shoutcast radiostations) and I tested the provided Online services implemented into Clementine.

80% of them don't work. For my specific purpose, I'm better of sticking to Winamp/foobar2000.

I would suggest to the OP to try foobar2000 http://www.foobar2000.org/

It's made by an ex Winamp developer. I've used it a lot, but since I don't keep music on my computer, I don't need foobar2000, but if the OP needs to manage music, fb2k is perfect for that. There is a component for foobar that makes it look a bit like iTunes, not in skin, but in layout, here's the link https://yuo.be/columns_ui

It makes managing large quantities of music easier and a pleasure to look at.
LAMBDA471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 22:40   #4
musicf8
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to musicf8
Personally I haven't found a recent replacement for my winamp because of what it can do. I do know a part of it is because I have used winamp since 98ish, but I have yet to find a program that's light and expandable (and looks as good). I use Winamp to manage my music, manage my ipod classic and manage my sanity.

Everything else I have tried either didn't have the features I wanted or was too bloated and could mess up my library or computer (wmp & itunes). So personally speaking, I can't say if there's a decent replacement, though I have heard good things about AIMP and people love foobar2000 though I could never get into it.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Current status of Winamp 5.8: 9/14/2017

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 17:02   #5
cybersaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBear View Post
I love it but I understand that it is eventually going away....
Why is it going away? It's a stand-alone application that doesn't rely on any outside service. Radionomy could decide to stop development on it and close up shop, but Winamp would still work.

Or is Winamp not capable of something that you want it to do?

-~cybersaga~-
cybersaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 15:55   #6
LAMBDA471

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
I have heard good things about AIMP and people love foobar2000 though I could never get into it.
AIMP is good, but since there is foobar2000, there is no reason for me to use AIMP. In case the reason you couldn't get into foobar2000 is its appearance, there are skins, just as good as those on Winamp, in fact some are even better.
http://br3tt.deviantart.com/art/TECH-v1-5-2-162724968

It just takes a little more work to get them properly installed, it's not a single file you paste into "Skins" dir and double click it or select it from a list. It's as complicated as compiling on Linux when you have next to no experience.

Right now I have Winamp installed, because of Shoutcast, I don't use it for anything else, but I do love the default skin of foobar2000, makes it blend perfectly with Windows. I've heard people around me saying that no matter how good fb2k is, they won't use it, because it looks "ugly", which is funny to me, because I think it's just an imposed impression on people that a music/video player should have an appearance that stands out from the rest. In fact it bugs me when applications have their own skins and look out of place.

Oh, and I almost forgot - fb2k has a component that allows syncing to crApple devices, I don't know how does it work as I can't test, but it exists.
LAMBDA471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 21:53   #7
musicf8
Major Dude

To each is their own. I don't like fb2k's interface mostly in terms of functionality, but also I am not a fan of how it looks. If I am going to have the app open 24/7 on one of my screens then I prefer it to look decent. But then there's MediaPlayerClassic, which I prefer over any other video player. The interface looks dated circa windows9x but it functions just fine for when I want to watch a video. Then again, that application is open only when I watch a video, unlike winamp.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Winamp v5.63 (used w/ ml_ipod) bumping through Windows 10 Pro w/ Logitech Z-5500
Old 10th January 2017, 15:51   #8
PeterK.

Quote:
MediaPlayerClassic ... The interface looks dated circa windows9x

Meanwhile you can download some modern looking playback buttons but nothing fancy. And yes MediaPlayerClassic is (in my eyes) THE video playing machine. A shame that Winamp after so many years of development cannot play half of those formats which I throw at MPC and just enjoy!
PeterK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 16:28   #9
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK. View Post

A shame that Winamp after so many years of development cannot play half of those formats which I throw at MPC and just enjoy!
Doesn't phase me because I never accepted Winamp as a media player. I only accepted it as a music player, and with that regard it works great. Winamp to watch videos always seemed finicky imo.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡ʎɯouoıpɐɹ

Old 11th January 2017, 00:32   #10
Alrock

Quote:
Doesn't phase me because I never accepted Winamp as a media player. I only accepted it as a music player, and with that regard it works great. Winamp to watch videos always seemed finicky imo.
I'm with you on that one, plenty of video players out there (I personally use GOM).

If I had my way Winamp would be a music player & library only, leave of all the other bloat, plenty of other software out there for free that does it better, yet I've never managed to find anything, free or paid, that matches Winamp for music playback & library management.
Alrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 07:36   #11
PeterK.

Quote:
... I never accepted Winamp as a media player. I only accepted it as a music player, and with that regard it works great ...
Touché.
PeterK. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 18:37   #12
BBear

The reason I was concerned about sticking with Winamp was because of some DJing work I am starting to do.

But it turns out that Winamp may still work with my setup and the fact that I can easily convert/read FLACs may be also a plus!

I am currently struggling with ID3 Tags / FLAC / Winamp but I am hoping this is minor and just a setting I am missing somewhere.

Cheers!
BB
BBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion