Old 9th November 2004, 08:03   #1
Andreas E.

Media Library: What happened to the scanning function?!

In 5.04, scanning was LOTS better than now.
It worked in a "complementary" way, i. e. if there were some minor changes, it updated the library in minor ways, too.
In 5.05 now, always the whole library gets scanned in even though the changes are only of a minor kind, and I always have to wait 3 minutes until it's finished!
ARGH!
Can this be switched back to the older complementary scanning algorithm? Please help!
Andreas E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2004, 08:13   #2
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

Nothing changed with the scanning between 5.04 and 5.05, it was a security update.

Winamp has to scan all the folders every time, or how else will it be able to tell if anything changed there? So I am not really sure what you are even asking for. Are you sure you aren't noticing an effect that doesn't exist?

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2004, 13:16   #3
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
drewbar is correct. Nothing changed other than the security update between 5.04 and 5.05.

You can disable scanning if you like, and then re-enable it to suit your needs...
CTRL+P for Preferences > General Preferences > Media Library > Watch Folders > uncheck/check "Rescan folders at startup" and "Rescan folders every XXX minutes" according to your preference.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2004, 00:42   #4
Andreas E.

No, no, that's not what I mean!

I meant that in previous versions, scanning worked in a complementary way, i. e. if the lib file was already there, only the changes were scanned in and it went a lot quicker than now!

@Nunzio, I *DO* need scanning to record changes and deletions in my collection, of course!
Enabling/Disabling doesn't have anything to do with my problem. When I scan, I ALWAYS go into options and scan, so I can see what the thing does! Background scanning makes no sense for me, because that I can't determine when scanning is finished!
I can only witness it now takes 3-5 times the amount of time as it took in previous builds! And no, my collection has not grown *that* much bigger in this period of time.

I experimented around, and in the new version(s?), Winamp also always scans folders I didn't do any changes in!
But maybe it's also depending on the OS.
I used 5.03/5.04 on Win98SE, whereas I'm now in Win2K world.

-ae-
Andreas E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 17:28   #5
MmoulinexX

Same problem

Same problem with my library since 5.08e !

When Winamp rescan folders, it seems that it rebuilds ALL files in the media library, instead of add only new files.

I had never been concerned by this way of scanning before. My hard drive is a lot more sollicited

It's a wonderful life
MmoulinexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 17:38   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

As already stated, nothing's changed with media library scanning between 5.04 and 5.08. It's always scanned all folders specified in "Prefs > Media Library > Watch Folders" for changes.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2005, 17:57   #7
MmoulinexX

But it's the way of scanning which seems different.

Perhaps it's due to the windows hard drive option : "autoriser l'indexation de ce disque pour la recherche rapide de fichiers" (sorry, I've got a french windows, quickly traduced : "allow indexing for a faster files find") that I unchecked yesterday. I will retry with checked option and repost here.

It's a wonderful life
Old 28th March 2005, 10:23   #8
MmoulinexX

no change
Instead of checking files, it scans all files every time. Very strange it never happens before.

It's a wonderful life
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support