Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to insomniac
What a waste of time.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 13:23   #3
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Good for him, here you can wait over half an hour to see the film because of the adverts that are shown. I hope he wins and that someone wins the same case over here. If you want to see the ads you can go early if not you should be able to arrive at the correct time of the screening and just sit down to the start of the film.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 13:30   #4
Some1
Forum King

I personally enjoy the "coming attractions" advertisements, they're like pre-entertainment entertainment, and give me a heads-up about what movies to look forward to. What I absolutely can't stand, however, is how an increasing number of theaters are showing regular commercials prior to the "coming attractions" segment. I DO NOT go to the movies to see britney spears singing about how great pepsi is, or some lame public service announcement about the dangers of smoking, and since I'm paying to go to the theater, I don't think I should be subjected to anything that I don't want to see.
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 13:35   #5
hestermofet
Major Dude

This happened to me once, by 10 minutes. I asked for my money back, and got it. Problem solved. Another time, it was an Imax screening of Jurassic Park III. The only seats available were at the front. I got my money back. Theaters are pretty reasonable.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 13:40   #6
Some1
Forum King

I'm too lazy to ask for my money back...the way I see it, once I've spent it, it's gone, unless I get totally screwed out of what I payed for...and annoying commercials don't quite fall into this category.
Old 6th January 2003, 13:53   #7
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

10 minutes! You lucky sod! That's an incredibly short duration of ads! Fancy going to the cinema over here for 30 mins? You won't see any film but you will know of a lot more retail oppertunities.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 13:57   #8
hestermofet
Major Dude

It's definitely a problem. The feature presentation should start no later than 5 minutes after the time specified on the ticket. I don't care how long between the time after the last movie started and the start time of the current movie they show commercials, but 5 minutes after the show time, they movie'd better start, or I'm getting my money back.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
Old 6th January 2003, 14:12   #9
The Holy One

if you dont want to see the ads, then ge to the movie half an hour later!!
The Holy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 14:14   #10
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
but 5 minutes after the show time, they movie'd better start, or I'm getting my money back.
wow...I haven't been to a movie that started 5 minutes after start time in years...if ever. Hell, sometimes even the ads don't start up until five minutes after the movie is supposed to start. I guess Canada is a little behind them times in that respect, and it's a good thing.
Old 6th January 2003, 14:44   #11
zootm
Forum King

it's more like 10-15 minutes here. i can't say i particularly care. we just make loud unruly comments about the product names.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 14:50   #12
SNYder
Forum King

I have experience up to 30 minutes of ads and previews too. It 10-15, is barable, 30 is just outragious. And yes, now they are showing commercials. WOOOO!!!
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 15:01   #13
duet maxwell
Major Dudette

same problem in Puerto Rico, but u get more comershals than u get previews on movies.. i think funiest thing though we grew acustomed to it and theres this one paint company that always gets shown and bin up for years.. we sing the product song cause we have all seen it THAT MUCH lol
when teh movie previews coem on every one quiets down, i like the movie previews but other than my good o'l paint comershal i got used to... , the rest gota go
duet maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 15:34   #14
NetFury

use that money you spend on the theater and start building your own Home Theater. you'll be surprised, with the right equipment, how much BETTER you'll like it.

no you can't see the newly released stuff right off the bat, but a few months down the road's not long. plus..you can probably watch it for free from your local library.

i RARELY go to movies because of the above complaints, kids, babies, cell phones, pagers...etc etc..

when i do go i visit a Harkins Cinema close to me with the Texas Instruments DLP projector *ownt*

..and even DLP technology is available for the home for cheap now.

"Winamp, I'd hit it."
NetFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 17:55   #15
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Some1
I guess Canada is a little behind them times in that respect, and it's a good thing.
Well, it depends on where you go. Sometimes, it's worth the extra money to go to a pricier theatre. Not only do you get better picture and sound (the theatre I frequent uses DTS for virtually all their shows), they don't try to make up for lost revenue by cramming the first half with advertising.

There are some cheaper places in town, but I never enjoy myself there. I only go to such places when I'm with an enormous group of friends, and wouldn't be paying attention to the movie anyway.

Old 6th January 2003, 18:58   #16
NetFury

Quote:
Originally posted by hestermofet
....Not only do you get better picture and sound..
most of the time that is absolutely NOT true. just because the picture is bigger definitely doesn't make it better looking. it's all about resolution. now sound is sometimes another story...sometimes it's so loud it's disturbing and vice versa. i've been to theaters who's center channel was not working and other mishaps. with your own theater, you KNOW your stuff is setup correctly for your environment..(speaker levels, color balance, black level, etc..).

DTS is usually better than Dolby Digital in the theater...that same thought does NOT apply on dvd's for the most part. plenty of reading regarding DTS levels on dvd's being "goosed" or "made louder" to make it seem a better mix.

my .02

btw, i'm not bashing all theaters, only most of them.

"Winamp, I'd hit it."
Old 6th January 2003, 19:04   #17
hestermofet
Major Dude

It is in the particular case of the theatre I go to.

Old 6th January 2003, 19:20   #18
NetFury

Quote:
It is in the particular case of the theatre I go to.
again, you can get a better picture at home..

"Winamp, I'd hit it."
Old 6th January 2003, 19:34   #19
hestermofet
Major Dude

Probably, but it's not worth the effort. Besides, it's nice to sometimes leave the house

Old 6th January 2003, 19:40   #20
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
I like the comming attractions.

Dosent bother me a bit.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 19:45   #21
Trigear
bear!

i went to see "die another day" last week. the coming attractions took half an hour. and then they started playing "empire" instead of the movie we paid to watch. after about 10 minutes, they stopped the movie, and another 10 minutes later they had the right reel in, playing. and we had to sit through ANOTHER 30 minutes of coming attractions, most of them the same ones. something doesn't quite sit right with me...
Trigear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 19:46   #22
hestermofet
Major Dude

ROFL!

Old 6th January 2003, 19:52   #23
NetFury

Quote:
Besides, it's nice to sometimes leave the house
i agree with you there. that's why trail running and mountain biking are my friends

"Winamp, I'd hit it."
Old 6th January 2003, 20:12   #24
liquidmotion
Smokes Two Joints
Beta Team

Send a message via ICQ to liquidmotion
for the Two Towers midnight showing, we had to watch half an hour of previews, ads, and commercials.

it's bullshit.

and the guy is suing for like $9 USD. fuck him.

For a good time: shup | stashbox | my homepage
liquidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 20:14   #25
neonmole

Send a message via AIM to neonmole
LMAO! Your avatar is ssssssssooooooooo funny!!!!!!!!
neonmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 20:17   #26
Orgone_Man
Major Dude

I like upcoming movie trailers, but lately they have been putting in product commercials during the trailer section of the movies. Capitalism and self serving folk just don't mix. (for me anyways)
Orgone_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2003, 20:47   #27
duet maxwell
Major Dudette

Quote:
Originally posted by triGEAR
i went to see "die another day" last week. the coming attractions took half an hour. and then they started playing "empire" instead of the movie we paid to watch. after about 10 minutes, they stopped the movie, and another 10 minutes later they had the right reel in, playing. and we had to sit through ANOTHER 30 minutes of coming attractions, most of them the same ones. something doesn't quite sit right with me...
u got ripped
they shoulda given u yer money back and they should have fast forwarded those comershals.. i hope teh movie was worth it though
duet maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions