Old 4th January 2003, 23:20   #1
hestermofet
Major Dude

If only you could extend me the same courtesy.

Fuck this. I choose not to discuss this via PM. You chose not to do so with me, so I reserve the same right.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
hestermofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2003, 23:26   #2
randman

It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I don't totally disagree with you, but the mods have the final say. Re-read the rules. It says they may PM you "at their discretion" to warn you of an offending post.

Lighten up. You are too young to be this cynical. I love you man.
Old 4th January 2003, 23:28   #3
hestermofet
Major Dude

PM wasn't the issue, until sawg locked the thread. The issue is that there's no reason to lock a fruitful discussion simply because one of the mods doesn't like what I say.

I love you too. Man.

For the freedom to express myself in my own way without fear of being censored or banned.
Old 4th January 2003, 23:39   #4
randman

You have to admit you did "de-rail" that one thread. I try to avoid doing that at all costs, because it insults the person who started the thread and makes me look like a bad guy. It's all about exercising a little restraint. Maybe holding your tongue even though the little red guy on your shoulder is saying, "Do it, do it!!!".
Old 4th January 2003, 23:42   #5
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Just take a load of this and you'll be right as rain again:

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2003, 23:44   #6
hestermofet
Major Dude

While I do admit I derailed the thread, it took another, equally valid direction. Let's be honest with ourselves; do we ever discuss anything with more gravity than fluffy bunnies? That's about as serious as this place gets.

Old 4th January 2003, 23:44   #7
Matt
Banned

In support of the removal of incompetent moderators.

I agree with you this time rm'. The correct action was: Delete your post. Possibly PM you and have a small word. Now we have two incorrectly locked threads. This one also probably.

Accept moderator stupidity or leave. That's the choice you have
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2003, 23:45   #8
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Discuss seriously then

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2003, 23:58   #9
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
In support of the removal of incompetent moderators.

I agree with you this time rm'. The correct action was: Delete your post. Possibly PM you and have a small word. Now we have two incorrectly locked threads. This one also probably.

Accept moderator stupidity or leave. That's the choice you have
to quote from the rules, section "What happens if I break the rules?", you will notice that since rm/hestermofet/whatever he wants to call himself has already had previous warnings/action taken against himself, we jump to paragraph two or paragraph three in this instance.

now, since there is the posibility that the warnings issued to his "person" rather than his "persona" do not apply to his latest forum account, i decided to go some midway, and rather than give him a three day ban, i thought it would be better to just lock the threads.

If he really does wish to play by those rules that he likes to quote every so often whenever he decides that he needs their protection, then fine, ill go straight to paragraph three and he will find his account "Nuked". you may notice that in no place does it say I need to notify him by PM/email or otherwise that this action has been taken.

Or alternatively, he can play nice.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2003, 23:58   #10
psychoticguyver
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to psychoticguyver Send a message via Yahoo to psychoticguyver
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
[B. Now we have two incorrectly locked threads. [/B]
can i add to that? ummmmm yeah post bump which could have been locked a while back but wasnt cos it kinda serves a purpose went poof earlier today

Now accepting refugee's
psychoticguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 00:04   #11
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by psychoticguyver
can i add to that? ummmmm yeah post bump which could have been locked a while back but wasnt cos it kinda serves a purpose went poof earlier today
wtf?? when did this happen??
Explain.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 00:06   #12
psychoticguyver
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to psychoticguyver Send a message via Yahoo to psychoticguyver
(for post bump)on my subscribed post list i kinda got one like this \/ but w/ post bump for a name and when i went clicky it said i wasnt signed in so yeah "poof" so i couldnt see why it went either
Attached Images
File Type: png like this.png (3.4 KB, 269 views)

Now accepting refugee's
psychoticguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 00:10   #13
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

I meant the Post Bump thread...where did it go and why??

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 00:29   #14
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
While I do admit I derailed the thread, it took another, equally valid direction.
I disagree...while the original direction was cliched and boring, your direction was stupid and pointless...but there's no rules against being stupid, pointless, or boring, so I have to take your side in this. Boundaries of power were overstepped, and if this is to become the order or the day, then there are a lot of stupid and pointless threads out there that members use to post-pump and spam various irrelevant things that should also be shut down...
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 00:31   #15
Germ
rules all things

Tell em Craig. White people don't know nothing.
Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 00:57   #16
james
Forum PFY
(Major Dude)

All I have to say is this. And I don't care how unproductive it is...

kthxbai.

He uses statistics like a drunk uses lamp-posts: for support, not illumination.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 01:05   #17
Some1
Forum King

teh u.s. armee would be appalled...
Old 5th January 2003, 01:17   #18
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
First off, I am not taking sides, or trying to piss anyone off, (esp. the mods). rm'/ hestermofet seems to have a valid point. When one looks at all the topics here in GD, 99% of the posts re riducuous. We have a "what would you do" game thread that has 3500+ replies. That is all find and dandy, but what purpose does that thread serve? About as much as the bunnies I bet. Or how about the "Happy birthday" threads. Arn't those threads also cluttering the forum? Should not personal greetings/ect. of that matter be dealt with via PM? All I am saying is that I see something of a double standard here. If the purpose is to un-clutter GD then by all means, delete the whole thread, do not just lock it, but also, do the same with other threads. I am very sorry to see the "post bump" thread go. I was having a great time there. I fear the this forum is turing back to the way it was a few months ago, sad and mean with no room for fun.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 01:18   #19
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Some1
I disagree
I never said the direction I brought it was intelligent and pointy. I just said it was equally valid.

You know, when I became mod, a part of the job was social engineering. watadoo understood this, and he hired mods accordingly. Mods who had great conversational skills. If you see a thread headed somewhere you don't like, you don't lock it. You manipulate the direction of the thread, and take it back on topic. Keep in mind where the word "Moderator" comes from. In debates, and round table discussions, there's a moderator. Rather than ending a discussion when it gets heated, the moderator uses his conversational skills to direct the topic elsewhere. Thankfully, we still have moderators who are good at this. Bilbo is a great example. Xerxes too (and I'm not being patronizing).

I derailed the thread. You could just as easily have brought it back on topic. You chose not to. Instead, you chose to punish the entire community, by locking the thread. This may have been an easier way for you to have dealt with the situation, but I don't give a fuck about what's easier for you. Your actions were detrimental to the Forums, and in the end, that's what I care about. Screw your convenience. If moderating is so difficult, don't do it.

All due respect to Sawg, but I don't think he's suited for the job. I highly appreciate his work in tech support, and recognize his need to lock/move/delete/merge threads there, but I would like to see his powers removed from all the General Discussions threads (Bitchlist, here, Breaking News).

Old 5th January 2003, 01:23   #20
randman

Good points (which is why I said I didn't totally disagree with you). I do have to say, I've never seen a moderator of a debate say "OK, let's move on to the topic of fluffy bunnies".
Old 5th January 2003, 01:41   #21
CraigF
Passionately Apathetic
Administrator

funny how rm seems to make it seem like the content of the original thread was entirely valid, and should of been retained rather than locked when he was the first person to derail it.

CraigF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 05:45   #22
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Now the question is is Nem laughing at his fellow mods, as rm' as made a good point, or is he laughing at ridulous points rm has made. (I havn't been aruond long enough to know, so I don't know which)

Last edited by dlinkwit27; 5th January 2003 at 06:09.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 05:53   #23
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

rm is an anus, matt is an anus, all your base are belong to sawg, suck my DOMOKUN

KEKEKE

radioactive man is cool though. but rm sucks.
rm and matt are the only people who get under my skin.

hmm more rantings....

matt, if you wanna be mister sit behind the alumni title and bitch about the mods now, why dont you pick the hammer back up and fucking do something about it?

although i dont see that happening any time soon, pussy.

InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 05:57   #24
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by InvisableMan
matt, if you wanna be mister sit behind the alumni title and bitch about the mods now, why dont you pick the hammer back up and fucking do something about it?
Matt's a respectable figure. He's not so wrapped up in his mod title that he could see that the only way he could speak the truth was to reject it (his modship, that is).

When you are mod, there are a lot of limitations on what you can say.

Old 5th January 2003, 05:58   #25
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
Really?
Old 5th January 2003, 06:00   #26
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

pfft, look at chev, did that ever stop him?
Old 5th January 2003, 06:01   #27
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigF
funny how rm seems to make it seem like the content of the original thread was entirely valid, and should of been retained rather than locked when he was the first person to derail it.
My claim is that the thread should not have been locked because people were participating in it, thus, by locking it, you are punishing everyone who's participated it in (and those who could potentially participate in it, i.e. the entire community). Your claim appears to be that my posts are pointless spam, you suck rm, I think I'll go on a moral outrage spree, so I'm going to lock this thread.

Old 5th January 2003, 06:03   #28
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
pfft, look at chev, did that ever stop him?
Yeah, it did. Note how he's not a mod. Note how it was Craig who effectively drove him from his position. Note how I'm not a mod.

Old 5th January 2003, 06:03   #29
randman

When you get right down to it, this is much ado about nada. It's just the Winamp Forums, it's not the Oval Office or the Pentagon where important things are discussed and decided. Lives aren't hanging in the balance here. These are just simple personality conflicts. Lighten the fuck up!!

Bunnies. Fluffy bunnies...........
Old 5th January 2003, 06:04   #30
BeerBaron

Send a message via ICQ to BeerBaron Send a message via AIM to BeerBaron
Quote:
rm is an anus, matt is an anus, all your base are belong to sawg, suck my DOMOKUN

KEKEKE

radioactive man is cool though. but rm sucks.

hmm more rantings....

although i dont see that happening any time soon, pussy.

I just threw a Sega Saturn out of my car with my buddy while doing 90 down my road, it was fucking hallarious! I did swerve off the road, but i got back on it, no damage done!! and, may i also mention, it was real funny. Who else has done something real odd and funny laetely?

Sympathy, prayer... Crew of the space Shuttle Columbia, do i need to say more?
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 06:05   #31
hestermofet
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by randman
Bunnies. Fluffy bunnies...........
Careful now, we don't want a third lock today, do we?

Old 5th January 2003, 06:06   #32
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by hestermofet
Note how I'm not a mod.
Note how you were banned and should still be.
Old 5th January 2003, 06:07   #33
hestermofet
Major Dude

But that depends on who you ask.

Old 5th January 2003, 06:17   #34
hestermofet
Major Dude

No, I think you should just leave it well alone. But if you insist on taking your vengeance out on me, don't take it out on everyone else at the same time.

"Morality is simply the attitude we adopt toward people we personally dislike."
-Oscar Wilde

Old 5th January 2003, 06:17   #35
BeerBaron

Quote:
Originally posted by Nemessis
...I only aim to please. <3
a little sucky sucky for the beerbaron?

Old 5th January 2003, 06:19   #36
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

*plays 1812 overture*
Old 5th January 2003, 06:21   #37
BeerBaron

/me takes a giant shit on this thread

uh oh, lot of it fell on iman

Old 5th January 2003, 06:21   #38
WolfieD
Major Dude

WolfieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2003, 06:28   #39
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

rm = POONED
domokun = POONED
fartbread = POONED
Old 5th January 2003, 06:31   #40
hestermofet
Major Dude

Who ever said I didn't like you (I don't recollect you ever locking one of my threads because you thought it was spam)? I love all of you.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions