Old 4th April 2001, 14:33   #1
Smiddi

Hi,

I just got a new computer, I installed WinAmp 2.73 and now the MP3's are played much too fast.
I guess I configured something wrong, but I have no idea where to start. I also changed to Windows 2000, perhaps I have to start here and change some settings.

I also tried WinAmp 2.72, which was installed on my old computer, but the same effect.
Does anybody have an idea ?

Smiddi
Smiddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2001, 18:23   #2
earthsound

Send a message via ICQ to earthsound Send a message via AIM to earthsound Send a message via MSN to earthsound
Winamp too fast

Are you having problems with particular mp3s? Or is Winamp playing _every_ mp3 too fast? Could you post the URL of an mp3 that you're having problems with, so we may test it on our end? Could be an encoding problem (not a Winamp bug)... *shrug*

--
Make it foolproof, and they will build a better fool.
earthsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2001, 20:19   #3
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Sounds more like a DSP plugin acting up on you, or an issue with DirectX.

Update to the newest version of DirectX and make sure Winamp doesn't have any DSP plugins in use.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2001, 20:19   #4
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Sounds more like a DSP plugin acting up on you, or an issue with DirectX.

Update to the newest version of DirectX and make sure Winamp doesn't have any DSP plugins in use.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2001, 14:28   #5
freddy

Same problem!

I'm having the same problem after installing Win 2000.
I have tried playing the songs with Winamp 2.73. 2.74 and Windows Media Player but it´s the same story everytime.
The song are being played too fast. I don´t have a clue what to do.
freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2001, 07:33   #6
freddy

No solution to the problem

I´ve been reading quite a lot in this forum and the problem with mp3's being played too fast seems to be unique with win2000. No matter if you use Winamp, Sonique or Media Player.
I haven't still been able to find out how to fix this, and nobody else either by the way. Downloading "Pacemaker" is not an option, well it is but it doesn't fell OK sitting there trying to tune in speed so it´ll sound "about the same". The funny is, the working partner also got win2000 at work but the mp3's are being played as they should be on her computer.
I have a P111 800, Windows 2000, Swedish version with Service pack 1.
More, other with this problem (not swedes!) have downloaded the newest DirectX, and also made sure they don't have any Plugins, but without any luck solving the problem.

If anyone have a solution, please post a reply.
freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2001, 22:16   #7
Smiddi

At least I'm not the only one!

Hi,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the problem (okok, sounds strange).
The same problem exists on the PC of a colleague of mine, who has the same kind of computer.

And it's not the MP3 files which make the problem, they are ok on my old computer (NT4.0).

I tried WinAmp 2.73 with Win2000 at home, and it worked !!
Actually I try to find the difference settings between my home PC and my PC at work.

NeoRenegade, you suggested DSP plugins. Any idea were to find them ?
I also uninstalled Real Player, that was my first suggestion, but it didn't work.

Smiddi
Old 24th August 2001, 13:22   #8
todd2000

I too am having the same problem. I think if you are having this problem, you need to revert to a previous version of WinAMP while the good folks at WinAmp work on fixing this. Anyone know where I can get version 2.73 or less?
todd2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2001, 13:49   #9
todd2000

My Windows Media Player 7.1 beta also plays all my MP3 files too fast.
Old 24th August 2001, 13:53   #10
Smiddi

The solution in my case was to update the soundcard drivers
Old 30th August 2001, 01:05   #11
yodaboy

win98se

i have the same prob, for a long time i've had few problems with winamp, then a while after i downloaded one of the newer versions (not sure which) it stopped playing all songs, instead it plays them at "2x" speed.
yodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 01:13   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

As smiddi says, the only solution is to get the correct drivers for your soundcard.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 01:32   #13
yodaboy

it's still happening, i just tried a song on windows media player and it plays fine.
yodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2001, 02:02   #14
Sawg

Hmmm...try:
Preferences (Ctrl-P) > Plug-ins > DSP/Effect > Select "(none)"
Old 5th September 2001, 16:11   #15
todd2000

Winamp and Win Media Player Too Fast

Update: I reinstalled my sound card drivers and all files appear to playing normally. All systems functioning within normal parameters.

Thank for posting this suggestion.
Old 7th September 2001, 07:38   #16
euvo

Re: Winamp and Win Media Player Too Fast

I have Windows 2000 installed on Intel 815 Chipset with AC'97 Codec. Drivers are fresh. But all sounds play too fast. Any comments?
Where can I get more fresh drivers?
euvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2001, 12:02   #17
ericparker

I have installed WINAMP on 2 WIN2000 machines.
The one with a P4 1700 plays too fast, the one with an ATHLON 1200 plays correctly.
Unfortunately there are many other differences as well.

eric
ericparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2001, 19:28   #18
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Jeez, how many people have posted here asking for help, and not one of them has told us what soundcard they've got!

Goto one of the following sites:

http://www.driverzone.com/
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...0001.dir.10010
http://www.driversguide.com/
http://www.drdriver.com/

Locate & download the correct & latest drivers for your soundcard & Operating System.
Old 9th September 2001, 19:39   #19
Jolly_Chicken

Sound Card

I have a similar sound problem with winamp! I am Running a P4 1.3 ghz system (Windows ME) with the latest version of winamp. When I play MP3's, they are ok but most of the time during play the speed suddenly doubles and even sometimes doubles again! Why is this? I tried to find what sound card i have but all i could find was somthing in device manager saying AC'97 - maufacturer Intel, so is this my sound card? If not how do I find out! I want to sort this problem out! Any suggestions

Thank you!
Jolly_Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2001, 12:11   #20
MattyB

Send a message via ICQ to MattyB
Windows Me ?!

You're running Windows Me?! I ran that for about a week, until I got totally... erm... are we allowed to swear in here? Oh well...
I also used to run 2000. 2000 is a great OS - stable, supports MOST software (but not all) and ohhh so sweeeeet! :-P
I haven't experienced any problems with speed / tempo in windows 2000. Everything's always played fine.
There are a few things you could try: -
Re-install windows
Update your sound card's device drivers
Update your DirectX installation (I think the most current version is 8.1a
Cry about it!
MattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2001, 15:34   #21
mark e
Major Dude

Bring your old computer back...

Download the pitch tempo plugin (if there is something like that) - i don't know nothing about it...
mark e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2001, 13:30   #22
timbo1970

Same Problem

Well I've got the same problem. New computer running Windows 2000, and both WinAmp 2.76 and Windows Media Player are playing MP3s too fast. for a sound card it says 'AC'97 Driver fo Intel(r) 82801AA Controller' which isn't any sound card manufacturer listed in the WinDriver page. Along with this is a section called 'Legacy Audio drivers' which I at first thought might be th brand of sound card, but I guess not.

Anyway, is there any help out there? Intel does not have this listed, Microsoft does have it on their Hardware Compatability List, but only as having been tried out with Win98, and there are no driver updates listed. Whats a music listener to do??????
timbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2001, 15:04   #23
Jolly_Chicken

Totally Agree

Ok people! This is what im talking about, I had writen the same thing about "Intel AC'97" (whatever that is) and also went to the drivers update page and there was no "Intel" Listed. I have been to the microsoft website and downloaded the newest version of DirectX and just when i thought it had worked all my songs started playing @ twice the speed! What is going on? Do u think microsoft should be informed? It seems strange how most people with the problem are running Windows Me/2000! If Not what do I do? What sound Card have I got? is there a driver Update (however from the looks of things if this option is true, there are alot of people out there with unupdated sound card drivers) Help Please????????????????

Yours Truly *Jolly_Chicken*
Old 12th September 2001, 21:14   #24
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I think AC'97 is an onboard integrated soundchip, not actually a soundcard.
As far as I know, it's a part of the Via motherboard/chipset with the Sigmatel/SouthBridge soundchip . . . I'm not 100% sure, but maybe someone like Budgie can confirm this?

Try some of these links:

http://www2.driverguide.com/uploads/...s10/10777.html (all OS)

http://www2.driverguide.com/uploads/...s10/19050.html (WinME)

http://www.driverguide.com/cgi/dnldp...ndows_Versions

VIA 4-in-1 chipset: http://www.via.com*****jsp/en/dr/driver.jsp

Check all the links first because I'm not rightly sure.
You'll have to make sure you get the correct drivers for PC/mobo/OS
Also triple check for any viruses with the first 3 links & read all the info carefully.

Maybe wait for some confirmation first, or better still contact the pc vendor/manufacturer for full details.

I hope this helps, but I honestly can't help much more than this.
My honest advice to you would be to go out and get a decent proper soundcard.
Old 12th September 2001, 23:53   #25
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Yes, DJ Egg's right: The AC '97 soundsystem is an on-board soundchip, being used on mainboards with VIA chipsets. Unfortunately, it's a very, very cheap sound-solution, as the codec (the actual sound processing) is being performed in software . The AC '97 is actually a software codec, the chip itself has pretty low quality as well, high S/N ratio, pretty bad frequency response. Moreover, the WDM drivers for the AC '97 soundsystem tend to be badly written and buggy in conjunction with certain hardware combinations. All in all a pretty crappy way for sound-enabled modern computers .

Anyways, check your Windows Device Manager ( My Computer -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager ) for any existing resource conflicts, even IRQ sharing can cause problems with the AC '97 chip. More info on IRQ sharing and possible fix with AC '97 soundsytems can be found here.

I actually don't understand how more and more motherboards come with such a cheap on-board sound-solution, as pretty decent soundcards are pretty cheap nowadays. Many new computers come with 64 MB GeForce videocards, but on-board AC '97 sound ...

Furthermore, make sure you check VIA's site for updated drivers, especially the 4-in-1 chipset drivers. DJ Egg posted an excellent selection of relevant links already, make sure you check those out!

That's all that came to my mind right now. Please post here to inform us on how it is going .

Peace.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2001, 08:37   #26
euvo

I've got it !!!!

Yes, I've got normal sound on Intel 815+Ac'97+Win2000.

What I've done:
1. Remove wdma_int.inf, wdma_int.pnf from c:\winnt\inf - these are sample files.
2. From Device Manager remove AC'97 82801 BA/BAM .. - 2445 device.

3. Download http://www.msi.com*****support/driver...i_1881_wdm.exe
and extract archive.
4. Run Add Hardware Wizard and for bad sound device choose by hand \WDM\W2K\smwdm.inf
and install SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio.
5. After restart all was ok.
euvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2001, 17:32   #27
Jolly_Chicken

Is This Safe?

Hey I like the sound of this one, but I would like it if a Moderator looked into this and just confirmed that it would be safe to do so! Oh and by the way I only found 1 "WDMA_INT" file when I looked...does this matter? Any more advice on the above process would be much appreciated and maybe an explanation of what the file you have to download actually is! Thank you winamp!

Write Back asap

*Jolly_Chicken*
Old 20th September 2001, 17:39   #28
Jolly_Chicken

Ps...

Hey Sorry about this...I just wanted to know from the person who posted the above solution...Did u actually have the problem we had with mp3's all of a sudden speeding up when playing or r u just assuming that this is what we have to do? Just wanted to know...Reply asap! Byeeeee

*Jolly_Chicken*
Old 20th September 2001, 18:03   #29
Valkyre

Send a message via ICQ to Valkyre Send a message via AIM to Valkyre Send a message via Yahoo to Valkyre
I never had a problem with any of my sound and I even have a SoundBlaster 16 slill installed in my system. I never upgraded to a better sound card mainly because I get good enoguh output out of this one. I do have surround speakers though, can anyone with an A3D card or something like it tell me if it's worth getting?
Valkyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2001, 18:41   #30
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Jolly_Chicken

I cannot verify whether euvo's solution is safe or guaranteed, but the only way to find out is to try it. Basically, he's saying that replacing the current AC'97 driver with the SoundMax one is what fixed it for him.

There shouldn't be any need to delete files from the INF dir, infact I suggest that you execute euvo's directions the other way round (3-2-1)
After removing the entry from Device Manager, install the replacement driver. If this works ok, it will then be safe to delete the INF files (but back them up first, just in case).
If you can't see both files, goto Windows Folder Options -> View tab, and 1) uncheck "hide extensions for known file types", 2) checkmark "show hidden files & folders" (under Hidden Files). You may even have to uncheck "hide system protected files & folders" for the .pnf file to be visible.

Good luck and let us know if it works.

Valkyre
The problem people are having here is with integrated sound chips.
You shouldn't experience any problems whatsoever with a proper soundcard.
Although the SB16 is old, at least it's a proper soundcard

My advice to everyone:
If you intend to listen to compressed audio files such as MP3, OGG, WMA, etc; never buy a new computer with an integrated soundchip (onboard sound). Always insist on a pc with a proper soundcard.
Old 20th September 2001, 21:20   #31
Jolly_Chicken

OMG HELP ME NOW!

OK Ive tried doing this new sound thing and now I am stuck! It is saying my new driver isnt working properly and now i have no sound at all! I would really prefer now to have my old sound card driver back...being the AC'97 Intel! Please please please can someone reply to this solving my probelm! I Just want my computer back to the way it was! Please! List full instructions of every process on how to install the new driver! I want AC'97 back Intel (815)! hurry

Thanx

*Jolly_Chicken*
Old 20th September 2001, 21:59   #32
Jolly_Chicken

Ps...AHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok, just making that message more clear! Apart form wanting the drivers for the AC'97 sound intergrated thingy for intel chipset 815 I would like the programme that installs it first, seeing as I removed it to install some new thing that ses it doesnt even work! I cant believe This! Help me please! Reply asap asap asap!

Can u tell im goin mad?

Thanx!

*Jolly_Chicken*
Old 20th September 2001, 22:18   #33
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

eek
Oh sheizzenhaussen

What's the exact error message?

Anyway, I provided a link to the AC'97 driver for WinME in one of my posts above.
http://www2.driverguide.com/uploads/...s10/19050.html

However, after doing further research, you might want to try the results from google.com search engine for "AC97 Intel (815) Driver" http://www.google.com/search?q=AC97+...=Google+Search
Also more results for "AC'97 Intel (815) Driver"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

You're bound to find your driver/codec there.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused, but under the circumstances, I really think you should be contacting the computer manufacturer for proper advice regarding hardware drivers, especially where motherboard and integrated soundchips are concerned.

Good luck!
Old 20th September 2001, 22:21   #34
Jolly_Chicken

Ive got it!

OK Im really sorry about all of this people! But I have found the problem and kind of solved it! all i need now is the "WDMA_INT.INF" that I foolishly deleted! Any idea where I get this from? People? Thank you!

*Jolly_Chicken*
Old 20th September 2001, 22:30   #35
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

? http://www.google.com/search?q=WDMA_...=Google+Search ?

Also, could there be a chance of the file being on your Windows cd-rom ?
Oh, and I don't suppose you kept it in your recycle bin?
Or did you empty it?
Old 20th September 2001, 23:13   #36
Jolly_Chicken

WDMA_INT.INF

OK The link you gave me only produced 4 results in which they stated "delete the file WDMA_INT.INF so i wasnt to impressed! IM not sure if i have a windows CD! Would I have one with a "packaged PC" from a highstreet retailer? Apart from that, does ne1 know where i can get this file? Please!

*Jolly_Chicken*
Old 20th September 2001, 23:53   #37
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No, I wasn't too impressed either, oops.

I take it this means you also emptied your recycle bin then ?!?!

Okaaaaaaay, are the windows setup files preinstalled somewhere on your HD?
If you don't have a Windows setup CD-ROM, then the OEM usually installs these files somewhere like C:\Windows\Options\Cabs or sometimes in a dir such as C:\OEM or C:\Options or C:\Cabs or C:\WindowsOS . . . etc etc ?!?!

You could also try searching your HDD for the file.
Goto: start -> search -> Find files....

If you find the dir, there's a very likely possibility that the INF file will actually be inside one of the CAB files, which makes it a bit trickier to find.
You can open the CAB files in your zip program (eg. Winzip), or you can search them all by using a utility such as ArchivePeek (freeware)

If the file is nowhere to be found, then maybe try e-mailing or PM'ing one or all of the other people in this thread who've also got the AC'97 driver/codec?

However, surely the INF file is included with the setup from the executable I thought you said you'd downloaded from one of the many links above? Can't you just run this EXE file and doesn't this automatically install the driver?
Sorry for not knowing the exact method/answer because I don't have this soundchip so I've never run the driver setup for it and won't ever be able to.
I know that when I update my own soundcard drivers, I d/l an EXE file, run it, and it automatically installs the drivers.

What a carry on, eh

If all else fails, try here:
http://www.intel.com/feedback.htm?ii...lhome+contact&
Old 22nd September 2001, 14:47   #38
timbo1970

ok, here's what worker for me

I'm not actually at my work ccomputer right now that had the problems, so I won't give the specific numbers until monday, but here is what worked.

I have a Compaq, and tryed the above fix using Sound Max as it was first listed in the message, deleting the INF files (though I just moved them out of the folder so I still had them). Anzway, it didn't work, couldn't locate the soundchip. I looked at Compaq's list of similar drivers and found one, again it said it didn't find the chip. I reinstalled the original AC97 drivers and then tried one last time running SoundMax and that did the job.

At least in mz situation, Soundmax wasn't working because of the uninstall. But at least WinAmp works great now, thanks for the ideas to all,
timbo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2001, 22:32   #39
Jolly_Chicken

Thanx

Thank DJEgg for the advice, I went and looked in those files you mentioned on my computer and found the missing file I was looking for, so i was only without sound for an hour...thank god! Just thought Id let u know!

*Jolly_Chicken*

Ps. Advice to People: Dont delete Files that U dont know what they are, no matter what ne1 ses!
Old 28th September 2001, 00:02   #40
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Phew, I'm glad you're Jolly again

Yes, that is the best advice anyone could ever give.
Never delete system or program files, and never delete any other files without backing them up first!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support