Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 6th March 2012, 16:33   #1
az0000000

Listener can't listen to radio because port 8000 blocked in corporate network

Hello,
I stream my station via port 8000 (http://178.168.28.148:8000), and some of listeners ask for a solution to listen to my radio in a corporate network behind firewall where port 8000 is blocked.
Which are the options for such listeners, can they listen to radio via some kind of NoIP service or anonymous navigation tool, proxy, etc.?
If any ideas please share, wanna help my listeners.
Thank you.
az0000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 16:40   #2
DrO

you could look at running your steam on a different port or as a secondary instance.

however as this is to do with a corporate block, then personally i don't think you should be doing anything to allow those people to circumvent what is clearly a company policy for them.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 10:49   #3
az0000000

Hm, well, i kind of did not expect a reply in such a "me no help you" fashion, but thanks anyway.

I guess i shouldn't frighten people around by using spooky words like "corporate network" in my posts in the first place.

Now a regret.

I'll try looking for help in some other internet place
Old 7th March 2012, 11:26   #4
DrO

i've given you the best option to try i.e. move the stream to a different port or run a secondary instance of the stream on a different port. that is the simplest way to do things if you want to support these listeners.

maybe my tone wasn't great but i've known people to get fired for circumventing corporate blocks or messing around and not doing what they are meant to do when at work i.e. do the work they are paid to do (and then some poor sod i.e. me has to pick up the slack), so i think i was fair in my comment, which i did clearly state was my personal view on things after having made the above suggestion.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 13:29   #5
az0000000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i've known people to get fired for circumventing corporate blocks or messing around and not doing what they are meant to do when at work i.e. do the work they are paid to do-daz
Here I'll have to agree with you.

Anyway if only options are move the stream to a different port or run a secondary instance of the stream on a different port, and no other solution at all, then i give up on that.
Old 7th March 2012, 20:05   #6
idobi

Send a message via AIM to idobi
Port 80 and 8080 are generally open on corporate networks. Corporate listeners make up 60% of our daytime listeners, which is why we run all our servers on port 80.

Tailor your service to your customers. It'll make everyone happy in the end.

idobi Network - http://idobi.com/
idobi Radio - http://idobiradio.com/
idobi App now available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone (http://idobi.com/app/)
idobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 10:05   #7
ThiefMaster

Send a message via ICQ to ThiefMaster Send a message via AIM to ThiefMaster Send a message via Yahoo to ThiefMaster
If you make your stream available on port 80 they don't circumvent anything. In case you do not want to restart your shoutcast or don't want to start it as root, here's an iptables solution to make it available on port 80:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d 1.2.3.4/32 -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination 1.2.3.4:8000

Replace 1.2.3.4 with your IP.
ThiefMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support