Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 5th August 2012, 14:05   #41
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

When you are looking at msconfig, you will see items common to both logins. And you will see items specific to just the logged in user.

In the startup tab, look at the LOCATION column.

Items starting "HKLM" are common to both all users.
Items starting "HKCU" are just for the currently logged in user.
Items in "e:\Users\number_1\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup" are just for the currently logged in user.

Personally, as a test, I would disable EVERYTHING in the startup tab.
Then swap to SERVICES and tick the "hide Microsoft services" box and the disable EVERY non-microsoft service.

Restart the machine in this state. How does Winamp behave?

If Winamp is now fixed, re-enable the services one by one and reboot.
Then re-enable the Startup items one by one and reboot.
Each time do a test with Winamp. See which breaks it.

If disabling everything didn't make any difference to Winamp... then the hunt is still on.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 21:57   #42
Number_1

thanks Batter Pudding
i dont know what you´ve ment with this because i cant find it in my msconfig:
Quote:
When you are looking at msconfig, you will see items common to both logins. And you will see items specific to just the logged in user.

In the startup tab, look at the LOCATION column.

Items starting "HKLM" are common to both all users.
Items starting "HKCU" are just for the currently logged in user.
Items in "e:\Users\number_1\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup" are just for the currently logged in user.
but the rest was a good idea (at this point thanks to all for the analytic help)

its definitely the nvidia desktop manager "nwiz.exe" from the graphics card driver 175.19
(this tool provides some tools like a zoom funktion or multiple desktop screens)

I dont have to make any changes in the desktop manager - that means there is no specific setting. Just activating it causes the issue.

I dont know if it would be a good idea to update the driver because some years ago an update lead to a black screen. As far as i can remember newer driver versions are not recommended for my graphic card (MSI7600GT) Maybe it is to old for updates.
Number_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 00:09   #43
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Just leave nwiz.exe unticked in msconfig. You won't be missing anything on the nVidia side.
Old 6th August 2012, 18:09   #44
Number_1

Yes this is clear but i use the zoom function sometimes. It is useful and can be activated and controlled via hotkeys

and the question is: why is it interfering (only) with winamp 5.6.3
Old 6th August 2012, 18:23   #45
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_1 View Post
Yes this is clear but i use the zoom function sometimes. It is useful and can be activated and controlled via hotkeys

and the question is: why is it interfering (only) with winamp 5.6.3
Ah... if you use the Zoom, then you have more experiments to do then.

Maybe a new driver will help. I can't be sure. I have the current drivers on my Win7 PC, but I don't think nwiz is installed on here.

I am sure there is a setting somewhere in the properties of Winamp that was to do with this nVidia nwiz thing, but I could not locate it last night when I had a quick look. Maybe worth a check through.

As to why - well it is Winamp skins that are being affected here, and there is going to be an issue when nVidia is then trying to rescale and reskin things itself on top of windows. (I have seen nwiz clash with other propucts as well)
Old 6th August 2012, 18:26   #46
DrO

the thing i added to Winamp (via JTFE) for the nVidia stuff is to do with another issue where keypresses were received but weren't actually processed (had to double-pump the keyboard messages to work around that).

i can only assume that however their program works is using a value / method which matches with what Winamp is doing that is causing the issue to arise (or could be that it's breaking Winamp's unicode handling - that is something which has come to mind after the other thread seeing the issue). alas this is the fun that can happen when you inject your code into other people's programs (as is most likely what is happening with that).

maybe i'll find some time to look into doing a test build this month...

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 08:50   #47
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
just to be clear...

does the nvidia app not run when in a different theme? why would this theme have the issue, but not other themes? does changing the theme determine if the nvidia app runs?

also, is it a hotkey conflict or what?

regardless, i knew it had to be something specific to you. i wonder if it explains the other user's issue as well? as usual, BPs troubleshooting instruction was on point.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 17:22   #48
Number_1

nvidia app runs all the time - its independent from the theme - which means to me it can´t be something with hotkeys / however even if no hotkey is set into the nvidia app the issue still exists.
(just to remember - only the old classic windows style resolves the issue)
Old 8th August 2012, 17:31   #49
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_1 View Post
nvidia app runs all the time - its independent from the theme - which means to me it can´t be something with hotkeys / however even if no hotkey is set into the nvidia app the issue still exists.
(just to remember - only the old classic windows style resolves the issue)
There are hot keys within the nVidia app. This is why your zoom works. Have a look in the application and you will see the settings in there. (Been some time since I have seen it, so can't remember the exact specifics)
Old 8th August 2012, 17:35   #50
DrO

what windows style _exactly_ are you using? am sure i asked this before but cannot see a definitive answer to it. as if it's a style specific issue then it points at altered system dlls which have been known to cause such issues.

-daz
Old 8th August 2012, 17:39   #51
Number_1

i´ve tried the nvidia tool with absolutely no settings which means there are also no hotkeys set.

maybe i will try the newest nvidia driver if i have enough time. But since there are some risks i´m still not sure if it is a good idea. (I don´t want to crash my system :-)

@DrO
i don´t think that the exact theme is important because the issue is in every theme except the classic style
however: it is the Royal Theme with XP MediaCenter Style
Old 8th August 2012, 17:55   #52
DrO

it is important to know that as that is the same theme i have had people reporting a similar failure with the JTFE plug-in on XP due to it messing with things in the OS (and that it was irrelevant of using an nVidia or AMD card). so updating the nVidia driver is unlikely to have any effect on things and it is purely the theme screwing up the OS.

-daz
Old 8th August 2012, 18:56   #53
MrSinatra
Forum King

DrO, how can it be purely the theme if killing the Nv app solves the problem? and why would the problem exist in every theme except classic style?

--
Old 8th August 2012, 19:09   #54
DrO

i must be mis-reading things... the prior posts said that it doesn't happen when using the classic Windows theme even when the nVidia app is running and it is only an issue when the non-standard theme is being used (which i'm only seeing as being the only one mentioned other than the classic theme).

-daz
Old 8th August 2012, 19:12   #55
MrSinatra
Forum King

no, i think you are reading it right... i think. i find this all very confusing b/c i can't pinpoint if it is the theme, or the app, to blame. the criteria for it happening/not happening seem to contradict each other.

--
Old 8th August 2012, 19:32   #56
DrO

i would say it's the theme now that the specific information has been provided that one i know from past experience can and does cause other issues with Winamp (which in my previous dealings with was on an AMD setup). and yes overall it is a confusing thread.

-daz
Old 11th August 2012, 15:42   #57
Number_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
...it is only an issue when the non-standard theme is being used (which i'm only seeing as being the only one mentioned other than the classic theme).
I´m not sure if i understand this correct
I´ve mentioned my MCE standard (royal-)theme and the XP standard theme - and both have the issue.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:18   #58
Number_1

i´ve tried the newest driver from nvidia (301.42) with a new desktopmanager version.
problem still remains.
and unfortunately some graphical problems occured and my favorit quickzoom option in the desktopmanager had been gone. So i reinstalled my old driver.
Old 19th August 2012, 21:25   #59
MrSinatra
Forum King

Number1,

you seem to blame the nvidia tray app, while DrO blames the theme. the past posts so far are confusing at best, to say the least.

i think what you need to do, is make a chart of all the possible permutations and show under just what conditions this happens or doesn't happen.

its very important to explain your terms... things like "classic" or "standard" are vague, and could mean different things to different people.

things to list would be the OS, language, the exact themes, with or without the tray app, which user, etc... all the things that show or narrow down when this happens vs when it doesn't.

--
Old 20th August 2012, 20:46   #60
Number_1

Hi Sinatra
you´re right - its a little confusig (not for me) - maybe due to translation issues. But i´ve tried my best to write in very clear words - and every detail i figured out is written down in this thread.

At the moment i´m not in mood to write a summary of all
however thanks to all for your time so far...
Old 15th December 2012, 06:31   #61
bartman1

I had the exact same issue and symptoms as Number_1, everything was caused by a program I use a lot, "TrayIt!".

I was testing 4t Tray Minimizer as an alternative to TrayIt!, 4t Tray Minimizer causes the exact same problem, even if I exclude winamp windows.

For both programs I tested with winamp only on taskbar without notification area, made no difference.

The funny thing is that after I type something to search for, winamp shows during an instant the regular text "scanning..." like if it was searching, but instead it just presents all the songs just as if I clicked "Clear Search".

Can anyone reproduce this bug?
Is this a winamp issue or 2 different programs messing with winamp in something so specific?

Last edited by bartman1; 15th December 2012 at 08:39.
bartman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 14:35   #62
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman1 View Post
I had the exact same issue and symptoms as Number_1, everything was caused by a program I use a lot, "TrayIt!".

I was testing 4t Tray Minimizer as an alternative to TrayIt!, 4t Tray Minimizer causes the exact same problem, even if I exclude winamp windows.
You are the 3rd person to report this problem and the 1st to provide a tangible outside influence.

If you are saying these apps interfere with Winamp's functioning, but Winamp does not interfere with theirs, then I would say the bug is with them.

Anyway, this gives the devs something more concrete to look at when they get some time to spend on this. Thank you for providing this info.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 16:13   #63
MrSinatra
Forum King

it is possible the issue exists without such a 3rd party app for others, (meaning, it has multiple causes), but this was a good spot.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports