Old 6th April 2015, 18:07   #1
Aminifu
Forum King

How Long Does it take for your Winamp to start-up?

My Winamp configuration takes 3 to 4 seconds to start-up after clicking the taskbar icon. I'm using 15 various 3rd party plug-ins and the cPro skinning plug-in and a cPro SUI skin, along with most of the official plug-ins. I have about 6,500 files in my library and I'm loading the library database and also rescanning my watch folders at start-up.

I'm using Win 7 - 64-bit, running on an old AMD cpu (Phenom II X4 945, 4 core, 3Ghz) with 6 MB of DDR2 RAM (G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D) and an SSD (Crucial MX100 256GB) storage drive for the OS and major apps (it's running about 2/3 of it's nominal speeds because my mobo only has SATA 2.0 ports).

My current Winamp Info Tool (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=328932) extended configuration report is attached below.

Winamp_Info_Report_04-06-2015.zip

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 20:04   #2
Supra107

Like a second with Classic skin and 2-3 seconds with Modern skin. I'm using only the plugins i need & the ones that are useful. Less than 900 songs in the library and some playlists with Internet radios. And the folders are rescanned at startup. Also I configured Winamp so it runs fast and I can't reproduce this config without copying the winamp.ini :P

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1, running on Intel Core i5 4460 (4 core @ 3.20 GHz) with 8GB of DDR3 RAM, and a 1TB HDD (380 GB free) and i have two partitions full of junk and games.

Attachment with the report below
Attached Files
File Type: zip Informacje_o_Winampie_2015-04-06.zip (6.7 KB, 138 views)
Supra107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 00:37   #3
djpete
Major Dude

That seems pretty right to me with all those plugins. Mine is about that and I have a few plugins including sqr crossfader and resumer.

Do you think you have a prob?
Or are you just curious what other peoples times are?

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 00:39   #4
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Good idea Aminifu, it would be cool to have all this data with some standard skin at least (say, classic, modern and bento), though it won't make much difference since there are plugins too but at least it can be ruled out.

On the other hand, as it is, it's useful to see what everyone sees as acceptable and is used to =D.

My data:
3 to 4 seconds with Modern skin. 4 to 5 with Bento. 2 to 3 with Classic. Almost no plugins (cPro, skin manager and Plane9).
Win 7 Proffesional, on an AMD FX-6100 8gb RAM, video Radeon HD 7700 and slow and old 1 TB SATA hard drive.
For the record, I haven't re-installed my windows in 3 or 4 years, so it's in general slower than usual :/ .
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 00:53   #5
djpete
Major Dude

ok then.
3 to 4 secs
classic skin
win 7 64bit
7 extra plugins

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 02:12   #6
garetjax
Candyass
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to garetjax Send a message via AIM to garetjax Send a message via MSN to garetjax Send a message via Yahoo to garetjax
Windows 10 Pro
- Build 10052
- DX12
- 16GB RAM
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX Titan Z 12GB
- 120GB SSD (CRUCIAL)
- 3TB (Hybrid Drive)

5-10 Sec. Avg Load Time
<1 Sec. Occasionally Loads
>10 Sec. With Heavy Usage (AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Cloud, LightWave etc).

I think my load times are due to the massive amounts of skins I have for Winamp (5k+++)

1001skins |
That's not a skin, it's some god awful piece of skinner gunk. - Mr. Jones
garetjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 17:39   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies.

Supra107, if you can spare the time, maybe you will post a thread about your tips for speeding up Winamp. I have a feeling that they may be more specific to a certain kind of configuration, rather than general in nature. It would be interesting to try them out anyway.

I'm not having any major problems or complaints, djpete. Just little things now and then (mostly wish list kind of stuff). I expect several of them will be addressed in the next release. Another user (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=380870), using Winamp with Windows 8.1, was recently complaining that his configuration was taking over 10 seconds to start-up. I didn't think that was normal and decided to start this thread (a survey really) to see what others are experiencing.

I know that different kinds of skins (classic or modern) will affect the start-up time. I didn't think the GPU would have much of an affect (thanx for mentioning that Victhor). For the record, I'm using an EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SuperClocked card.

I also didn't think about the affect running several other major apps could have, so I didn't think to ask the user if he was doing that (thanx for mentioning that garetjax). I don't think the number of installed skins matter, only the one that is being used and a modern skin increases the start-up time (sometimes significantly due to how the official modern skin support plug-in currently works).

I was thinking my number of 3rd party plug-ins was close to worst case and even when I was using a mechanical hard drive the last few versions of Winamp never took 10 seconds to start-up. I almost always start Winamp before anything else when I boot my computer. I've been procrastinating about just having it start automatically after boot-up.

The sample size so far is too small to draw conclusions, but the OS version may also have a significant effect.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 7th April 2015, 18:32   #8
Supra107

This tutorial is what I did to speed up Winamp: http://winampplugins.co.uk/like_the_wind/
Supra107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 19:20   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra107 View Post
This tutorial is what I did to speed up Winamp: http://winampplugins.co.uk/like_the_wind/
Thank you for the guide. It says that it was last updated Jan. 5, 2008. Most of the suggestions are still valid. A few no longer significantly affect the current version of Winamp's execution or start-up speeds, especially when using major hardware components less than 6 years old.

Getting into the details would be off topic for this thread, but anyone unhappy with their Winamp's execution or start-up speeds would do well in trying the suggestions to see if they make a difference.

Old 11th April 2015, 16:11   #10
Number_1

11 seconds on my (slightly outdated) AMD dual core 2GHz, Win8.1 machine with HDD.
(see attachment)
extra plugins: playlist copier

6 seconds on a new Win 8.1 core-i3-4005 notebook with SSD. (almost fresh install with only 30 mp3 library)

both:
- first Winamp start after fresh Windows reboot.
- Big Bento skin
- full standard installation but without ripping-and-burning; tray-control; extended-jump-to-file
- options at startup: no folder scan; no search for updates; no splash-screen; no restore file associations; no loading of ML
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winamp_Info_Report_04-06-2015.zip (18.0 KB, 188 views)
Number_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 12:39   #11
Raj_09

My winamp takes 3 seconds to load.

My config is :
Windows 8.1
8GB of Ram
Intel Core i7

Winamp:
Big Bento
Plugin: out_asio, out_maiko

I disabled library load at start up and this helps a lot. My library includes more than 80k items

Powering through with the bolt
Raj_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 23:14   #12
Tohno_Neil

40 seconds

Laptop - HP g4-1060tx

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX DirectX 11.1

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core i5-2410M, 2700 MHz (27 x 100)
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC
Motherboard Chipset Intel Cougar Point HM65, Intel Sandy Bridge
System Memory 4043 MB (DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM)
DIMM1: SK Hynix HMT125S6BFR8C-H9 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 380 MHz)
DIMM3: Elpida EBJ21UE8BFU1-DJ-F 2 GB DDR3-1333 DDR3 SDRAM (10-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 666 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-17 @ 457 MHz) (5-5-5-14 @ 380 MHz)
BIOS Type Insyde (01/24/2013)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (1841080 KB)
Video Adapter Radeon (TM) HD 6470M (1 GB)
3D Accelerator AMD Radeon HD 6470M (Seymour)
3D Accelerator Intel HD Graphics 3000
Monitor AU Optronics B140XW01 V8 [14" LCD]
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 00:41   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohno_Neil View Post
40 seconds

Laptop - HP g4-1060tx
Is that the first time or every time Winamp is started?

A faster hard drive would help Winamp and all your other apps load faster. Check with HP to find out if a faster hard drive upgrade is possible, a solid state drive would be best.

Old 17th May 2015, 00:53   #14
Tohno_Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Is that the first time or every time Winamp is started?

A faster hard drive would help Winamp and all your other apps load faster. Check with HP to find out if a faster hard drive upgrade is possible, a solid state drive would be best.
Yes,even more.

I have no idea abuot this broken driver- Radeon (TM) HD 6470M (1 GB) .

AMD High-Definition Graphics Driver:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/...30AQO5O3KA30R1

Poor service is a common problem in china,I have no idea abuot it.
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 04:15   #15
Pretzel4

I have the latest version of Winamp, installed everything except the lower-quality visualizations. It usually takes about 10 seconds, which is actually surprising considering how many features WA has and how slow my computer can be.
Pretzel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 20:48   #16
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
it would be a neat thing for the winamp agent tray icon to log, namely how long it takes winamp to fully load from start to finish, including plugins. it could also be helpful in diagnostics and troubleshooting, esp if the log were detailed.

I'd like to see the role of winamp agent expanded, esp since it doesn't do much anymore. using it to remotely start and stop winamp as an example. but that's fantasy at the moment, until we see what Radionomy plans for the client.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2015, 21:14   #17
DrO

there was basic profiling added in the last builds which did that, but I don't remember the details now for what needed to be set in winamp.ini to enable it (was possibly something on the 'profile' value and was saved into profile_load.txt or something like that).

having that in the agent is not right as you have no way of tracking things correctly from a separate process (along with it requiring you pass messages or something else for the other process to track things which injects more of a delay / failure point).

imho the agent should just be killed off or emulated in winamp.exe as a 'slim' mode (as those things you've mentioned have to be in-Winamp anyway to work), as most of the agent exe is taken up by the high resolution icon rather than actual code.

----------------------------------------

and for those seeing > 10sec loading times, that is pointing at an issue as that's far too long for Winamp to take to start, even with the overhead of modern skins and library loading.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 00:14   #18
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
I usually run Winamp under a debugger so ->my normal<- load time is...

...inconsequential.

However, when I am just listening to music it depends on what plugins I have installed (including my own (and if I forgot to take it out of debug build.)) Typically around 5 seconds. Based solely on observations my biggest lagger is WebJockey followed by LiveWire.

I never use modern skins (except when I'm testing UI elements), classic all the way.

Windows XP little Acer notebook, no real power in it.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion