Old 14th April 2009, 09:18   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
is there a winamp roadmap publicly available?

does winamp publish when and what features they are looking to implement in future releases via a roadmap anywhere?

basically, i'd like to know when to expect some things in the wishlist, such as:

multiple column sort
ratings in tags
support for comp tags

etc...

it really would be great for users to see the developers vision. an example for this is at slim devices:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SoftwareRoadmap

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 10:53   #2
zackbuffo

Yes, put a roadmap on Winamp.com!

I don't get what's behind the "It's done, when it's done" policy. Do you guys want the community to be informed or not?

It is not that much of extra work to create a roadmap.

Ich suche jemand in Deutschland, der seinen TAMA Starclassic Maple Kesselsatz tauschen möchte BD:22, TT:14, 12, 10. Ich bin mit dem Set sehr zufrieden, habe mich aber an meiner Lackierung "Tequila Sunrise" sattgesehen. Das Set ist von 2002, gepflegt und wurde ausschließlich in Cases transportiert. Bei Interesse bitte PM an mich. Immernoch aktuell in 2018!!!
zackbuffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 12:13   #3
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Yes, pull some people of the development of Winamp, let them make a roadmap.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 12:48   #4
zackbuffo

You think you need more than one person to write about 100-200 lines of text (including HTML), that probably already exist somewhere?

I guess the devs sum up their goals now and then...!?

Ich suche jemand in Deutschland, der seinen TAMA Starclassic Maple Kesselsatz tauschen möchte BD:22, TT:14, 12, 10. Ich bin mit dem Set sehr zufrieden, habe mich aber an meiner Lackierung "Tequila Sunrise" sattgesehen. Das Set ist von 2002, gepflegt und wurde ausschließlich in Cases transportiert. Bei Interesse bitte PM an mich. Immernoch aktuell in 2018!!!
Old 14th April 2009, 14:46   #5
homes32

the problem with public roadmaps for closed projects is that instead of having people constantly complaining "I want this feature, why doesn't Winamp have it when XXXplayer does? when is it going to be implemented????" you have a herd of people saying "when is this version coming out? I want it so I can do xxx??? like xxxplayer?" That is of course provided that they actually read the roadmap, its hard enough just getting people to read the wishlist sticky...

you don't really solve anything, you just change the pitch of the wine and add some new grips when XsuperFeatureX wasn't added in version X because it needed more time to develop.

ha. I do believe thats the most X's I've ever had in 1 post!

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:52   #6
Zero2FiftyIn4

Why does everyone need to know what's going on all the time. Could they be a little bit more out there with what's going on sure. It's not secretive around here though. If you ask about a specific feature sometimes/ a lot of the time they say if they are working on it or if it has no chance in the immediate future of being added.

"It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be,
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole,
This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
They're throwing bottles at your house.
Come on, lets go break their arms."
Zero2FiftyIn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:54   #7
Zero2FiftyIn4

Quote:
Originally posted by homes32
the problem with public roadmaps for closed projects is that instead of having people constantly complaining "I want this feature, why doesn't Winamp have it when XXXplayer does? when is it going to be implemented????" you have a herd of people saying "when is this version coming out? I want it so I can do xxx??? like xxxplayer?" That is of course provided that they actually read the roadmap, its hard enough just getting people to read the wishlist sticky...

you don't really solve anything, you just change the pitch of the wine and add some new grips when XsuperFeatureX wasn't added in version X because it needed more time to develop.

ha. I do believe thats the most X's I've ever had in 1 post!
A pron player awesome. Interested in seeing what a XXXplayer does.

"It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be,
And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole,
This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself.
They're throwing bottles at your house.
Come on, lets go break their arms."
Zero2FiftyIn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 15:22   #8
zackbuffo

I understand your point holmes32, but always assuming that people don't use this or that in the right way is a discussion stopper, imo.

The wishlist is a huge list with tons of nice features. But you don't find any information about the next steps in WA development. And I think that's what's really interesting. With a roadmap you could easyly combine those two features: future WA developement and the most commonly requested features.

For example if you read in the roadmap, XsuperFeatureX will be implemented in WA12.4 in 2020, that's a clear statement. But finding XsuperFeatureX in the wishlist for about two years and it never appears in WA, will always cause questions like "When do we see XsuperFeatureX in WA?"

In general, the more information you provide about WA developement (and - more important - about the reasons WHY XsuperFeatureX isn't implemented before WA12.4), the less "studid" questions about features you'll get.

Old 14th April 2009, 18:37   #9
MrSinatra
Forum King

let me address the concerns a bit since i started the thread...

1. chances are, the roadmap already exists. the devs would have it already to coordinate their actions. they could easily and quickly boil it down to reveal only what they wanted to. (say a wiki page only they could edit)

2. the roadmap does NOT have to disclose dates or timeframes IF they don't want it to, it could just say "here is what we HOPE to deliver in the next few upcoming versions"

3. the reason to do it, would in fact be to get feedback from the community about which items on the wishlist should be prioritized in what order. i for one, would like to know where the 3 items above stand in order of development importance, and have a general idea as to when i could expect them.

4. if the roadmap code was advanced enough, each item listed could be voted on, ie. only '3 yeas' per person, (like voting in a bug tracker). that way devs can see what people want to see next.

5. it would help winamp manage peoples expectations, so they don't constantly get their hopes up, only to have them crushed when a new version is released without their item.

---

the roadmap works well for slimdevices, which slim controls, SC is not really "open" in practice. the roadmap itself is up to them alone, and it does change, its not static. people understand nothing on it is written in stone.

--
Old 14th April 2009, 22:18   #10
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
There is no public roadmap for most closed source applications. OSS has spoiled you.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 22:36   #11
MrSinatra
Forum King

that isn't an argument against it. winamp has a very similar community, and i don't see the harm in this proposal, while i do see tangible benefits to the winamp devs to do it.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion