Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 3, Build 1600 now available
Winamp 5.5 Beta, Build 1568
Winamp 5.5 Beta Full
Winamp 5.5 Beta Pro
(asks for key during install)
Winamp 5.5 Beta Lite
(basic 2.x-style mp3/cd player)
* New: Winamp Bento (SingleUI Skin)
* New: Unified File Editor, with Album Art tab (for mp3, m4a, wma, ogg, flac)
* New: Auto-Tagger in File Info dialog (powered by Gracenote)
* New: Album Art window for Winamp Modern skin
* New: Global 'playback thread priority' setting for decoders
* New: Media Monitor and MP3 Blog site scraper (in Bento browser)
* New: Option to not show playlist item number in classic songticker
* New: Version History drop-down selector and Search (in About dialog)
* New: [in_mp3] Multi-channel mp3surround support
* New: [gen_ml] Tree Options tab in Media Library Preferences
* New: [ml_autotag] Mass Auto-Tagger in Send-To menu (powered by Gracenote)
* New: [ml_local] 3 pane view options in 'Add/Edit View' dialog
* New: [ml_local] Smart View Presets
* New: [ml_local] Album Art support/pane and retrieval service
* New: [ml_local] Toolbar buttons to control view options
* New: [ml_plg] Winamp Playlist Generator (powered by Gracenote MusicID)
* New: [ml_pmp] New fields, configurable filter panes & columns, 3 pane view
* New: [ml_pmp] Album Art view & support for iPod and P4S Devices
* New: [ml_pmp] Separate view for video files
* Improved: General misc dialog/ui tweaks & improvements
* Improved: Re-tuned and optimized classic Spectrum Analyzer
* Improved: Surround indicator in Winamp Modern skin for multi-channel files
* Improved: Classic Songticker option for Winamp Modern skin (via Config drawer)
* Improved: [in_cdda] Conductor metadata support
* Improved: [in_cdda] Handling of multiple discs
* Improved: [in_flac/in_vorbis] ALBUM ARTIST & ENSEMBLE read support
* Improved: [in_flac] Advanced Editor mode
* Improved: [in_mod] Added support for more than 256 samples
* Improved: [in_mp3] Faster metadata gathering (also speeds up ReplayGain scan)
* Improved: [in_mp4] Smoother data sent to vis & other minor tweaks
* Improved: [in_wm] Faster WMA/WMV metadata gathering
* Improved: [gen_ff] General freeform skinning engine optimizations
* Improved: [gen_ml] Collapsed/expanded state of treeview items now remembered
* Improved: [gen_ml] Skinned scrollbars for Media Library with Modern skins
* Improved: [gen_ml] Reordering of treeview items (via drag+drop)
* Improved: [ml_disc] Better Unicode support & other misc tweaks
* Improved: [ml_history] Unicode support
* Improved: [ml_local] Customize Columns menu for top filter panes
* Improved: [ml_local] Option to show horizontal scrollbar for top panes
* Improved: [ml_local] New 'Podcasts' view (appears after downloading a podcast)
* Improved: [ml_local] Added ISPODCAST and PODCASTCHANNEL field names
* Improved: [ml_local] Added BEGINSLIKE comparison operator
* Improved: [ml_local] Dragging of headers to sort column order
* Improved: [ml_local] Redesigned Smart View Editor
* Improved: [ml_local] Star Rating display and selection
* Improved: [ml_pmp] 'Copy to Local Media' config separated from CD Ripping settings
* Improved: [ml_pmp] Portables "Sync" can now keep podcasts updated
* Improved: [ml_rg] ReplayGain calculation support for 64, 88.2 & 96 KHz samplerates
* Improved: [ml_wire] Optional automatic downloading of new podcast episodes
* Improved: [ml_wire] Multi-select, 'Send To' menu and other general enhancements
* Improved: [ml_wire] Podcast downloads now saved in channel subfolders
* Improved: [ml_wire] Updated podcast directory
* Improved: [pmp_ipod] Now uses the iPod's podcast menu for podcasts
* Fixed: DWM Thumbnails & Flip3D for Modern skins in Vista
* Fixed: Esc key not working in Credits & Winamp tabs of About Box
* Fixed: Long filepaths corrupted when opening Winamp via Explorer context menu
* Fixed: Oversized preference pages with large DPI setting
* Fixed: Recurrence of multiple instances bug (previously fixed in 5.3)
* Fixed: Selecting 'No' for 'Physically Remove' prompt removes playlist/mldb item
* Fixed: TV button in video window not working
* Fixed: Windows showing if switching from modern to classic skin in minimized state
* Fixed: [ASX Loader] Recursive playlist loading & case-insensitive element matching
* Fixed: [ASX Loader] Handling of entries embedded within a REPEAT tag
* Fixed: [dsp_sps] DEP incompatibility
* Fixed: [gen_ff] "Can't unload script while in script" error when switching skins
* Fixed: [gen_ff] Remember ML size when switching between Modern & Classic skins
* Fixed: [gen_ff] Transparent docked toolbars for skins using alpha-blending
* Fixed: [gen_ff] 10% opacity not applying on skins that add items to rt-click menu
* Fixed: [gen_jumpex] Crash when loading multiple files via Explorer context menu
* Fixed: [gen_jumpex] Remove Duplicate Entries action broken in pledit
* Fixed: [gen_ml] %playcount% returning Comment on drag+drop from ML to pledit
* Fixed: [in_cdda] CDDB crash when attempting to rip a CD in a 2nd instance of Winamp
* Fixed: [in_flac] General FLAC Editor quirks (Comments field, Enter key, etc)
* Fixed: [in_flac] 24bit files don't play when 'Allow 24bit' setting is disabled
* Fixed: [in_mod] Fadeout value goes below 0.0 sec in in_mod config
* Fixed: [in_mod] Interpolator 'division by zero' crash bug
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Crash on some mp3's with corrupt ID3v2 extended headers (rare)
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Crash on loading corrupt id3v2.3 tags of a later revision
* Fixed: [in_mp3] Negative bitrate in File Info for long mp3's
* Fixed: [in_mp4] Glitch when modifying metadata on playing track
* Fixed: [in_mp4/libmp4v2] Memory leaks
* Fixed: [in_wave/libsndfile] Crash on invalid .au files
* Fixed: [in_wm] Garbage characters when editing filetypes in config
* Fixed: [ml_disc] 0 byte temp files not deleted after ripping
* Fixed: [ml_disc] Double-click drive icon in Rip & Burn not selecting tree item
* Fixed: [ml_disc] Crash when using <trackartist> in playlist filename generation
* Fixed: [ml_disc] Drag+drop from Audio CD view to Playlist Editor
* Fixed: [ml_local] (no album) items adding to Album count in Artist pane
* Fixed: [ml_local] isempty and =0 queries now return same results
* Fixed: [ml_local] Add dir to 'Watch Folders' path truncated to 64 characters
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] Inserting extra period in filename when transcoding to mp4/aac
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] Sending ansi-converted titles instead of Unicode
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] Transfer caption building when Artist metadata is empty
* Fixed: [ml_wire] Subscription Updates setting always resets to 'Never'
* Fixed: [pmp_ipod] Potential incompatability issue with latest version of iTunes
* Fixed: [pmp_p4s] 'Error In Insert' when transferring to some P4S devices
* Fixed: [vis_milk] Milkdrop DEP incompatibility
* Misc: Winamp Remote is now an installer option (ml_orb.dll)
* Misc: Moved drawing engine out of gen_ff to tataki.dll
* Misc: Moved freetype font renderer out of gen_ff to freetype.wac
* Misc: Removed db.w5s (replaced by new Gracenote database system)
* Misc: Removed unicows.lib/dll as we have officially dropped support for Win9x
* Updated: Gracenote MusicID/CDDB v2.5
* Updated: libpng 1.2.20
* Updated: [enc_aacplus] Coding Technologies aacPlus Encoder v8.1.0
* Updated: [gen_jumpex] JTFE v0.99.1e b426 'dev'
* Updated: [in_flac] FLAC 1.2.1
* Updated: [in_mp3] FhG Decoder v4.10
* Updated: [in_vorbis] libvorbis 1.2.0
More to follow in subsequent betas...
(yes, there's even more!)
Screenshots of new Bento Skin:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Please report any issues with the beta in this thread only.
Make sure your report is complete, according to the sticky threads in Bug Reports, ie.
Clean install, no 3rd-party plugins, full step-by-step method of reproduction, relevant system specs, exact error messages, screenshots, which skin (one of Classic, Modern, or Bento only, or all three), links to sample files, etc.
If error reports, screenshots, sample files, etc are smaller than 100kb, then please attach them to your post here. Otherwise, please upload to one of stashbox.org (recommended), mediafire.com, or sendspace.com and post the url here (no rapidshare or imageshack or similar links please).
Note that incomplete/lame bug reports may be totally ignored.
Particular areas which need testing are:
- Winamp Bento (SingleUI skin)
- Album Art support (view/pane in ml) & Downloader service
- Unified File Editor (CoverArt/Advanced/Extra tabs, for mp3, flac, ogg, wma, m4a)
- Media Library navigation tree (drag+drop items, collapse/expand, etc)
- New ML Local Media filters/panes/config
- New PMP filters/panes/config
- Check for any gen_ff/skinning bugs
- New Podcast views/features
- CDDB2.5 features/editor
- Playlist Generator (play tracks similar to)
- Auto-Tagger (in Alt+3 File Info & Send To menu)
-Winamp Bento skin does not appear in the Skin Selector list in the installer,
so for now, you'll need to select it from the Skins menu after Winamp opens.
-The new Mass Auto-Tagger (ml_autotag) only appears in the English installer options
and not in any of the other translations. Sorry, but it was a last-minute addition.
-Album Art support is almost complete, but not quite...
Lookup order: embedded (in tags), %album%/cover/folder.jpg/gif/png.
Note: The cache is the art*.* files in the "Plugins\ml" folder
(art.dat, art.idx, art60.dat/idx, art90.dat/idx, art120.dat/idx).
Downloader access via: Art icon rt-click menu, unified file info & pmp edit info box
Currently saves as %album&.jpg in the containing folder.
See "Known Issues" section below for more...
-mp3surround is playback only for now (no encoding).
You can find tracks at www.all4mp3.com/music/
-Playlist Generator (rt. click ml/pledit items > Play tracks similar to):
1) Manual config via: Prefs > Plugins > Media Library > ml_plg.dll > config
2) Initial Scan may take some time. The more files in your mldb, the longer...
3) Obeys the Play/Enqueue as default action in ML Prefs
4) Database stored in Winamp\Plugins\Gracenote (along with all other GN/CDDB files).
If getting "error initializing" messages, you'll need to delete cddbplm.pdb/idx/gcf files.
-Re: Skinned ml scrollbars
For support, Wasabi version needs to be specified as 1.3 in skin.xml, eg.
Also note that v1.3 skins no longer use the internal freetype font renderer.
-Winamp Bento skin does not appear in the Skin Selector list in the installer, so for now, you'll need to select it from the Skins menu after Winamp opens (important enough to mention twice) *
-On startup, the Bento skin can occassionally leave a portion of the media library drawn on top of/underneath other windows. It goes away when you move a window over it. Note that the same can happen if switching from a skin where both the Video/Vis and ML windows are open, which results in the Video or Vis tab being active in Bento instead of ML (click the Media Library tab to fix). *
-In the Bento skin, the Media Library will occassionally not fill the entire tab (switch to Video tab and back to fix). *
-Bento skin: When setting is enabled, vbr display for mp3's changes too rapidly *
-DWM thumbnails on Vista show the Classic skin when a Modern skin is minimized, or components of the Classic skin when the vis/vid drawer is attached & open in the Winamp Modern skin **
-New CDDB features may still be a bit buggy (eg. genre saves with "General" at front)
-Album Art retrieval criteria and writing/saving isn't configurable... yet!
-Alt+3 album art editor is fairly incomplete, and also won't find all album art.
-'Get Album Art' doesn't find compilations very well, and doesn't find art when album names have "notes" at the end like "Dark Angel [EP]".
-Album Art API doesn't deal with illegal filename characters yet < : \ " / ? | >
-Embedded art doesn't show in Artwork tab of File Info (but displays ok in Album Art views/window/etc)
-Winamp crashing when attempting to view some PNG/GIF coverart in Alt+3 Editor *
-Winamp Modern songticker: padding issues & winshade shadow on first/last char *
-Some AVS presets are broken in this build. Sorry, this is a compiler related issue and should hopefully be fixed in time for 5.5 Final
-Station Info window is broken (blank content) (I think we're getting rid of this anyway / not sure?)
-We're seeing a few reports of crashing under Vista (crash on exit, when switching skins, when running vis plugins, etc). These issues are being looked into and, if reproduced, will hopefully be addressed/fixed for the next beta and/or in time for 5.5 Final (note that they mostly tend to be related to the 'DWM thumbnails' fix). Let us know if there are any improvements with Preview 2. If the problem persists then please include a full detailed Bug Report (see above).
-Some cbr MP3's are reported as vbr in File Info
-Custom Genre not being saved for MP3 when typed into ID3v2 tab of File Info *
-Winamp crashes when clicking the "Delete All" button in the Advanced tab of File Info for Vorbis files (or if using "Delete" when only one field is present/populated) *
-[ml_plg] Playlist Generator config: 1) 'Playlist Length' field allows text input (but should be limited to the drop-down selection only). 2) The 'Reset Database' button automatically deletes the plg database without any confirmation dialog. *
-[ml_plg] Multiple "Playlist Generator failed to Initialize" error messages on Winamp startup, when Gracnote/plg database is corrupt (more info here
-Mass Auto-Tagger sometimes might come up with mismatched results (eg. titles are the same or mixed up for different tracks on same album) *
-If genre is empty it remains empty after using File Info Auto-Tagger *
-Random weird bold font glitch in Local Media views *
-Font not updating in Local Media views when disabling 'use same font as playlist' option*
-The Local Media column immediately to the left of Rating doesn't remember resize changes after switching views *
-'Files of type' drop-down selection is broken in the Add/Open Files Dialog *
-Alas, Winamp 5.5 is no longer compatible with Win9x (Win 98/ME), and all support for those OS'es has now been discontinued.
= Fixed internally
= Reverted (feature removed internally)
This is a list of commonly requested features taken from all of the 5.36/5.5 beta threads.
Feedback is welcome, though there's no need to keep making requests for any of these:
- Bento skin: Resizable main player area
- Bento skin: Larger main player / buttons / text / controls, etc
- Bento skin: Options to hide Info Pane / tabs / etc
- Gecko/other engine for Bento browser (instead of IE)
- Winamp Modern skin: AlbumArt in Notifier
- Winamp Modern skin: Any other missing new Bento features
- Lang pack updates or locale translations (all will be revealed soon)
- Same scrollbar/buttons for Playlist as ML
- BPM column for Local Media views
- Publisher shown in AlbumArt Columns and/or Details view
- Anything else already covered in the above notes, eg. AlbumArt (in)completion
- Any other items already on the official Wishlist
- Watch this space for more
Color Editor 2.1.1
Check this thread for the latest installer - some feedback on vista is required!.
Winamp Essentials Pack v5.5 Beta
* Added Winamp3-style Playlist Sidecar for Winamp Modern skin
* Updated Skins In Submenu to v1.9
* Updated to NSIS 2.30
* Updated Polish, Spanish, Turkish & German translations
* Note: Language files are still incomplete (more info here)
* Updated License
* Otherwise, same as 5.36 Beta EP
* Full Changelog
* More Info & Mirrors
Playlist Sidecar for Winamp Modern Skin
Official Winamp Bento Color Themes Thread
Old Winamp 5.5 Beta Preview 1 thread
Old Winamp 5.36 Beta Preview thread
Old Winamp 5.35 Released thread