Old 27th May 2009, 17:08   #1
rockouthippie
Banned

Gay Marriage Ban upheld

SAN FRANCISCO – The California Supreme Court upheld a voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage yesterday, but it also decided that the estimated 18,000 gay couples who tied the knot before the law took effect will stay wed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/640947

It looks like your vote does count, at least in California.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 19:20   #2
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Go rainbow dudes!
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 09:52   #3
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

I give it 10 years until public opinion have changed, the situation reversed, and the religious nutcases fighting this in court. Oh, the wonderful flaws of democracy.

... I always thought it should be the church or individual priest, who should decide if wedding a homosexual couple is in tune with his or her personal beliefs - not the courts, not the voters.
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 18:11   #4
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
I don't see what two dudes getting hitched is hurting me.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 20:42   #5
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan
I don't see what two dudes getting hitched is hurting me.
I agree 100%. My marriage isn't effected by anyone but me and my wife. It's not like gays are going to "use up all the marriage." In fact until the divorce rate in the flyover states comes down below 50% maybe the fundies should be looking to fix their own problems instead of sticking their nose in other people buisness.

Me, i think people being happy together is a fine thing.

"Which is worse, ignorance or indifference?"

"I don't know, and I don't care."
watadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 23:59   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

As dire as the STD epidemic that is homosexuality is, it's enough that it's tolerated. I'd lean toward restoring it's criminal status. It's not "because God said so", it's because it's a public health nightmare! Just about everything else that is that dire to the general welfare of people is illegal.

Barely tolerate.... maybe... Married... are you kidding?
Old 17th June 2009, 12:30   #7
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

That argument simply make no sense what-so-ever to me.

If you are worried about an "STD epidemic" among the gay community, isn't wedlock with a single partner "until death do them apart" exactly the kind of behaviour you would want to encourage?
Old 17th June 2009, 23:08   #8
rockouthippie
Banned

That's a tired argument and it might actually be valid if that was the reason gays wanted to be called married. They want marriage rights because they want validation for a lifestyle most people find aberrant or abhorrent.

Homosexuality itself isn't the problem. It's the promiscuous, hedonistic culture that has formed itself around it.

Gay isn't religion, race, creed or color. Gay is behavior by 1% of the population. It doesn't deserve civil rights protection. The idea that homosexuality as practiced by gays is "just another lifestyle choice" is preposterous. It isn't just homosexuality. It has other antisocial aspects that seek validation in that we are all supposed to recognize as the "gay culture". That is the reason it seeks validation through marriage, not "Till death do us part".

I'm sure there are rare gays that truly do love each other and want committed relationships without causing issues. Get the rest of the "community" to clean up their act.

Gays could start with Sam Adams, our local mayor, that likes to make out with teenagers in the rest room.

When gay isn't an STD epidemic... when I don't hear about the gay mayor in the restroom with 17 year old boys.... When supporting "gay culture" isn't supporting complete hedonism.... when I don't see guys cruising the mens room or having an orgy in the freeway rest area...

I'll be the staunchest supporter of gay marriage that there is.

Oh and lose that phony assed lisp. It's annoying!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 17th June 2009 at 23:33.
Old 17th June 2009, 23:51   #9
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

You must have been gay a long long time to know so much about the inner workings of the gay lifestyle.

Old 18th June 2009, 00:27   #10
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

wrong device.. iphone fu.

Old 18th June 2009, 00:27   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

No, I just lived in your neighborhood for a while.
Old 18th June 2009, 00:29   #12
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

heh. just joking with you. don't get your panties in a twist.

Old 18th June 2009, 01:15   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

My panties aren't in a twist, but you bring to mind a hell of a good idea. I think before voting for gay marriage you should have to attend Gay Pride Weekend in San Francisco with your kids.

That would about put the matter to rest.
Old 18th June 2009, 01:27   #14
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

Well the thing is, those of us living near large pop centers actually know and work with gay fold so we aren't frightened of people and aren't basing our opinions on our grade school experiments with cousin bob out behind the barn

Old 18th June 2009, 02:09   #15
rockouthippie
Banned

I guess Californians like yourself could have based the GAY MARRIAGE BAN on something like your experience with your cousin Bob, but I have the feeling that they just got disgusted with the freak show.
Old 18th June 2009, 02:40   #16
watadoo
JEDI MASTER

I'm in favor of love and if two guys want to commit or two women, I'm on their side. As I said much earlier, when the family values fundies manage to get their divorce rate below 50% maye the can have a voice in the matter. Till then they can keep their concern troll bs in their churches where it belongs

Old 18th June 2009, 03:31   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

When gay men who compose 1% of the population don't account for 60% of the new AIDS infections every year... then this can be encouraged as "just another lifestyle choice".

Church has nothing to do with my opinion, other than that the conclusion of biblical teaching discouraging homosexuality is completely practical.

What's next? Affirmative action?

Funny. It's the same people who babble about "second hand smoke". Spreading AIDS around the steam room is fine, but OMG! don't light a Marlboro!

Last edited by rockouthippie; 18th June 2009 at 03:49.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:01   #18
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

In most western nations research have shown that between 2-5% of the population openly identifies themselves as homosexual, and by many estimates (and official estimates in Scandinavia) the absolute numbers are between 5-10%. It's always been a sort of thumb rule here, that in an average high school class of 28 students, 2 will be homosexual.

In Denmark too, Homosexual men have a significant over representation in the HIV/AIDS statistics, ~40%, however because the rate of new infections is so low in Denmark, and retro viral drugs have all but increased the lifespan of HIV/Aids infected to something more or less comparable to non infected people, the vast majority of the HIV positive gay men was infected in the 80'ties and early 90'ties - and since then attitudes have changed in the gay community - and although they are still overrepresented in the statistics for my generation (males aged 15-30) - the numbers of HIV/Infected gay men account for ~15-20% of total infections.

While this is still too much, it's important to remember that there is also a higher chance of HIV/AIDS infections through anal sex, since the skin is thinner in the rectum than in the vagina. And hell, while I always try to practice safe sex, I have had sex with women without a condom in a heated moments, and my guess is so have most other straights - so why be so quick to judge others?
Old 23rd June 2009, 06:55   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
it's important to remember that there is also a higher chance of HIV/AIDS infections through anal sex
It isn't enough to account for a what? ... 50 X increased risk for STDs in gay people.

Quote:
I have had sex with women without a condom in a heated moments, and my guess is so have most other straights - so why be so quick to judge others?
Yep. Straight people are irresponsible too. But evidently not as irresponsible as gays.

Quote:
retro viral drugs have all but increased the lifespan of HIV/Aids infected to something more or less comparable to non infected people
At extreme taxpayer expense and having the effect of making gays even less careful.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News