Old 22nd May 2008, 22:36   #1
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Hey all you un-naked people!

Long time, no lurk.

How have you folks been, and what have I missed here in the past several months?

I've been busy with my new business of constructing, tuning and selling high-performance gaming PCs. Meaning yes, I get to play games for a living! (For part of it, anyway.) Also learned that Crysis isn't quite the hardware killer people say it is. "Laughs at any CPU or GPU you can throw at it?" Ha! My hardware kicks Crysis's ass, even when I'm only using one GPU. (Granted, at the moment it happens to be an overclocked 8800 GTS 640, but it's still only one GPU.) Pardon me - I'm just very happy so far with the success of these builds.

The downside is that I don't have a PC I can call my own at the moment. At any given time I use whatever I've built for sale that week. So for a couple of days each week I have nothing, then for the other five I have whatever I've built from the latest current technologies.

Anyway, I've missed all you guys tremendously. So help me catch up... Any big, earth-shaking, forum-changing events happen here while I was gone?

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 02:32   #2
sgtfuzzbubble011

Chris! Welcome back. How's your neck/back feeling these days? Better I hope.

Good to hear about your new business. Sounds quite awesome.

As for me... I'm still stuck down in MS. But I got a new truck! Also, my job is coming with more and more perks and benefits as time goes on. I get free things from vendors, I get to spend lots and lots of money, I get to tell people what to do, I get to play with ATVs whenever I want, I can usually work at my own pace, and I have my own heavy equipment.
sgtfuzzbubble011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 02:57   #3
fc*uk

Get nekkid!!!!!!!!!

Nothing much with me, except for my epic post, which only happened quite recently. I'm nutz! And shame on the mod that binned it; that was some quality loonie bin there!

Got bored, so started spinning again. This time I dropped the Technics SL1200's in place of midi controllers. The appeal of going in with a laptop and hard drive won over the crates and crates of lps. Not too sure how well I like the midi's.

Oh well, back at it.

Glad to hear you are doing well. New business sounds banging!
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:28   #4
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtfuzzbubble99
Chris! Welcome back. How's your neck/back feeling these days? Better I hope
It is, thanks for asking. I stopped ALL of the drugs the doctors had me on, even against their recommendations. I was taking 150mg of morphine every day, as well as several other hard-hitting meds. I just didn't want to be a drug addict any more, so I spend six months weaning myself off of them. And let me tell you, life is SO much better sober. I missed myself.

The pain is higher now than with the meds, of course, but I can tolerate it. And on bad days, I just remember back to what it was like screwed up on opiates all the time and I instantly feel better.

Quote:
Good to hear about your new business. Sounds quite awesome.
I love it. I've never had a job that pays to play games all day. (Well, I don't do it ALL day, but I have to do benchmarking and thermal load testing with at least one 3D game with each machine I build, and nothing heats up a PC like three hours of Crysis with high details, a high screen res, AF and AA, and you have to play that long to get the heat measurements to level off at their operating peaks.)

Quote:
As for me... I'm still stuck down in MS. But I got a new truck! Also, my job is coming with more and more perks and benefits as time goes on. I get free things from vendors, I get to spend lots and lots of money, I get to tell people what to do, I get to play with ATVs whenever I want, I can usually work at my own pace, and I have my own heavy equipment.
That sounds very cool. Kudos, man. Getting free stuff, using big expense accounts, having command authority, playing at will, self-scheduling and having your own big toys? That's pretty much the definition of "perfect job" isn't it?

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
Nothing much with me, except for my epic post, which only happened quite recently. I'm nutz! And shame on the mod that binned it; that was some quality loonie bin there!
I'll go check it out now.

Quote:
Originally posted by fc*uk
Got bored, so started spinning again. This time I dropped the Technics SL1200's in place of midi controllers. The appeal of going in with a laptop and hard drive won over the crates and crates of lps. Not too sure how well I like the midi's.
I hope the convenience outweighs the sacrifices you had to make to get there. It usually does, but it might take some time to adapt. Cheers!

Old 23rd May 2008, 04:39   #5
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Nice to see you, Chris. Not much is new over here. Finished up junior year (with a 3.75 this semester).

It was very hard for me to do this, but I've actually taken a full week's vacation without doing any work related activities whatsoever. I am so relaxed that I'm almost itching to go back to work. I guess that's the whole idea of time off.

The New York Mets completely suck at the moment, though.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:17   #6
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

My brotha!

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
Nice to see you, Chris. Not much is new over here. Finished up junior year (with a 3.75 this semester).
That's fantastic, man! (And much better than my junior year grades. )

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
It was very hard for me to do this, but I've actually taken a full week's vacation without doing any work related activities whatsoever. I am so relaxed that I'm almost itching to go back to work. I guess that's the whole idea of time off.
What's that like? I've taken "time off" before, but it's never been completely "off". During a vacation I'm still looking for WiFi hotspots, trying to solve problems with text messages and emails, and spending most of my time with a Motorola Bluetooth earpiece stuck to my head.

I envy you - I need a real vacation.

Old 23rd May 2008, 05:44   #7
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
I said "I'm not here for the next week". I actually have to stop myself from working from home, but the fact that I'm starting to want to go back must mean that this worked out as planned.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:48   #8
eheiney
und keine Eier!

Send a message via AIM to eheiney
Welcome back, Chris. Glad to hear you're doing well.

On my end, well... let's just say that the year has got off to a pretty rough start. My cat died, then less than a month later my dog died, and then on April 15 my grandfather died. Let's hope the rest of the year is smooth sailing, I think I've hit my quota for upset already this year.

But there is some good news too. I'm working on transferring to Sacramento State to go into nursing. I've just about had it with this town, I've been hanging around here for far too long and it's time to move on and live my life with a fresh start. I'll more than likely be heading out there in late December or early January so that I can take a few more credits here for a lot less money and then I can transfer in as a junior.

I also bought a keyboard about five months ago and I'm learning to play that and have even started writing a few songs. If I ever get enough confidence (and a decent way to record and mix the tracks) I might just put a few up in the music section.

Anyway, congratulations on the business. That sounds pretty freaking sweet.

Spiral out, my friend. You will find your way back to yourself, we all will.
I'll be waiting, and shall see you on the other side...
eheiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:21   #9
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Re: Hey all you un-naked people!

Quote:
Originally posted by ScorLibran
Hey all you un-naked people!
What, I don't get a hi now?

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:21   #10
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Re: Hey all you un-naked people!

Quote:
I've been busy with my new business of constructing, tuning and selling high-performance gaming PCs. Meaning yes, I get to play games for a living! (For part of it, anyway.)
Awesome, I've always wanted to do something like that, but don't even know where to start.

Quote:
Also learned that Crysis isn't quite the hardware killer people say it is.
I've been preaching that across the internet for months, but no one seems to believe me. I'm glad that there's at least one other person out there who realizes this.

Quote:
Anyway, I've missed all you guys tremendously. So help me catch up... Any big, earth-shaking, forum-changing events happen here while I was gone?
Well I found out that kofplayer is officially physically addicted to counting, but other than that, nothing eventful has happened in my life.

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:45   #11
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Re: Re: Hey all you un-naked people!

Quote:
Originally posted by denkensiefursich
On my end, well... let's just say that the year has got off to a pretty rough start. My cat died, then less than a month later my dog died, and then on April 15 my grandfather died. Let's hope the rest of the year is smooth sailing, I think I've hit my quota for upset already this year.
I'm really sorry, D-man. Somretimes it seems like those kind of things happen in groups, but that's not to say each one by itself is traumatizing. At least time really does heal all wounds. As for you pets, I'd recommend waiting about 6 months or so, then going to the pound and adopt whichever dog or cat catches your fancy. You'd be doing a favor for both them and yourself.

Also, congrats on your university change, and I hope you get as addicted to making music as I did. I've always considered it one of my life's true loves. I just hope the nerve damage in my left arm and shoulder will one day still allow me to play my Stuart Spector 4-string. (I sold my Fender 5-string last year to someone who was very excited to get it!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Vie
What, I don't get a hi now?
My apologies...Hi Vie! How've you been?

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
Awesome, I've always wanted to do something like that, but don't even know where to start.
Find a mentor - someone who's been doing it a while and who has essentially mastered it (or at least most of it). You can learn a lot more by observing and participating in the work with such a person than you would just reading about it. That's always been my experience, anyway. (And in case you were wondering, yes, I had a mentor back in the early 80s when I began building and customizing computer systems.)

Absorb as much knowledge as you can from sources you come to trust, and then learn the rest by trial and error. Thankfully, overclocking a computer today means something very different than it did 10+ years ago. You almost had to figure in to your budget an extra CPU, motherboard, etc. to replace the component that you'd be bound to kill along the way.

Nowadays, there are so many thermal and processing safeguards that it would actually be hard to break a component without a hammer. But seriously, there are indeed still ways to fry components, but just a little experience with what you should and shouldn't do during a customization can reasonably prevent any such regrets and expenditures.

Quote:
Originally posted by Psythik
I've been preaching that across the internet for months, but no one seems to believe me. I'm glad that there's at least one other person out there who realizes this.
I won't deny that it's a VERY hard game to run well on most systems, and that its system requirements are quite steep. But the level of hardware which is able to run it what I'd call "well" is becoming much more prevalent in the market, and cheaper to attain. Only recently have PCs in the ballpark of $1500-$1800 provided a level of performance and resources to be able to run such a program near or above the perceptual threshold frame rate.

Old 23rd May 2008, 10:16   #12
ujay
Forum King

Despite the rampant frivolity and general disregard for the sensibilities of others so prevelent in these forums, I have managed to keep my clothes firmly on.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:04   #13
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ Shame, really!
Heya' Chris, you sober motherfucker! Good for you!
Life ain't so bad after all. You were missed!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:17   #14
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
im fine.
i work,come home, get drunk,play with the dogs...pass out.

thats my weekly routine. On the weekends i do all the above except work.

Kthnxbuhbye

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:23   #15
Vie
Forum King

Re: Re: Re: Hey all you un-naked people!

Quote:
My apologies...Hi Vie! How've you been?
Ill and naked, ask Pixie about that, but now back on my feet and working like mad towards the new show that goes on stage in a week and a half, woo.

I get to play a right bastard as well!

Old 23rd May 2008, 19:33   #16
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Wow! You're gonna' be in a play..cool!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 21:53   #17
Vie
Forum King

Well I am an Actor Widdy, its kinda what I spend most of my time preparing for. That and fixing all the college computers when they break.

Old 24th May 2008, 01:12   #18
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I blew a DNA sample all over my towel.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 01:30   #19
pixiefied
Mother Trucker

Send a message via Yahoo to pixiefied
you can get DNA from snot?

"Well, got to love you and leave you, need to go get into the shower and rub my hard naked body all over with soapy bubbles, I'll be back later to carry on playing....

It'll take you some time to get over the image of me naked in the shower......mind you don't masturbate to hard thinking about it...."
- Mr.Jones
pixiefied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 11:32   #20
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Yuk, who blows snot on a towel?
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 13:36   #21
Vie
Forum King

People with a cold but without a tissue and with a towel to hand?

Old 24th May 2008, 14:46   #22
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Thanks for calling me........ I thought you fell off the face of the earth.... Havent heard from you in forever... My phone number hasn't changed!!!

It better ring with you on the other end Chris!

Hugs,

Missy
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 23:52   #23
missyob
Angel of Winamp

ummmmmmm......... no call yet.... ummmmm.......

ps. that girl from myspace messaged me looking for you - Guess you have an admirer
Old 28th May 2008, 00:05   #24
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Dialing the phone now.

(And I sent Debbie a message last week but didn't hear back right away. I haven't checked since Monday, though, so I'll go do that now. Well, after I call you.)

Old 28th May 2008, 00:39   #25
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Your lucky you called........ LOL Good luck with the Debbie thing
Old 28th May 2008, 00:41   #26
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Whew - I just barely got my neck off the block on that one. (And thanks, hon'. It was really nice talking to ya.)

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions