Old 20th May 2018, 22:35   #1
Maria_AC

So.. I have decided to start learning to play a piano

I have a few friends that have been through this piano course and they are happy with what they learned in a few months but I didn't think much of it until I have heard them play at home..

One of my friends has some digital or electric piano. I don't know what the difference is? I did not ask. Anyway, when he was playing I was hooked to the energy the piano was making and wanted to try myself.

It is safe to say that no one was impressed but I still felt very good just by touching the keys and having the tone come to life.

Now what I am wondering is what is the best way to go about this?

Should I buy a piano and be one of those self taught people and if I do that what are the chances that I will miserably fail and have the entire neighborhood throwing rotten tomatoes at my home while I am practicing my first notes?

Or should I invest some money into this newly found passion of mine and pay for some lessons? If so how should I decide if a person that is teaching the piano is a good teacher?

Also, should I purchase a piano to also practice at home, even if I pay for lessons? I think that in either case, I will need a piano but I don't think I can afford an acoustic so these digital pianos will be my only option. Do you maybe know which cheaper digital pianos are good and where could I learn more about them?

Thank you, everyone, in advance. I know that this isn't really an instruments forum but you guys love music, I love music and maybe some of you know something that I dont so I am open to all of the oppinions!
Maria_AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 17:17   #2
Aidy

Nice, i've also been contemplating this for a while to learn an instrument such as piano.

How are you getting on?
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 21:25   #3
Maria_AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
Nice, i've also been contemplating this for a while to learn an instrument such as piano.

How are you getting on?
Hi Aidy,

I am not sure yet which path to take.. What made you interested in the Piano?
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:55   #4
Aidy

I like all styles of music, but i've wanted to learn it for a long time now and considering doing so.

I suppose the first step though is to buy a piano and start learning to read music.
Aidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2018, 21:30   #5
Maria_AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidy View Post
I like all styles of music, but i've wanted to learn it for a long time now and considering doing so.

I suppose the first step though is to buy a piano and start learning to read music.
Hi Aidy,

I was offline for a few days but in the meantime, I was researching a bit about the pianos. Do you know anything about the digital pianos? Maybe you could help me a bit or if someone with more knowledge finds our thread..
I saw this great piano from Yamaha 235 and I read its review. The thing is, I love it because of everything I read and because it is cheap but I have a habit of buying the wrong things..

I would really like it if someone who had the experience with it shared it with me.

I was also talking with a few piano teachers in the meantime. They are old people so they are not up with the trends of digital pianos and they could only point me to some very expensive digitals which were for sure great.

My piano classes are probably going to start in two weeks and I will probably buy some piano by then or not. Maybe I will wait for a while because the teachers usually have their own piano.

Its good that you mentioned that we need to learn how to read the music. When I was speaking with these piano teachers most of them recommended this book to me. "Learn to Read Music by Howard Shanet". The title is pretty straightforward lol. Anyway, I was told that that book can be found in a small bookstore on the other part of my city so I haven't got around to it yet but I will soon enough.

Really, people said that that book is amazing so you can look it up. I have also found it online but I can't wait for it to be delivered so I will just go and get it myself.

Another thing I have to share is that these piano teachers have told me that in most cases learning the piano by watching youtube videos and what not is not going to get me anywhere. It is only learning from the other people, reading books and daily practice.

I agree but I am also a bit suspicious since it's their job to teach people so maybe they have some sort of bias against being self-taught.

On another hand, let's be real I ain't no Motzart so I won't be able to teach myself. I will be lucky if in a year time I am able to play anything half decently. Still, I don't want to give up now when I am already doing this!

Next thing for me is getting that book and figuring out which piano to get. If only I knew someone who has ever dealt with digital pianos other than my future teachers who don't know much about them. That actually has me little worried but on another note, I have heard them play and they are amazing so I guess its just because they are old and they have their acoustic pianos to play on.

That's it from what I had to share. Did anything change with you? Did you look into some piano lessons?
Old 30th May 2018, 10:18   #6
OffTheMapTravel

That's super cool Maria! I play the saxophone. Keep us posted as to how you get on.
OffTheMapTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 01:15   #7
MrFaroukM
Banned

Something i will love to do some day
MrFaroukM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions