Old 30th September 2010, 13:29   #1
mavrrr

download from youtube?

hi, i am trying to use takeyoutube.com to download some videos from youtube. i get the video transferred over to takeyoutube.com, but i want to download it from their to my computer so i can burn it to a disc later. anyone that has some info on doing this, please let me know. any help or info is greatly appreciated. thanks stoogedog
Old 1st October 2010, 00:22   #2
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Get YouTubeDownloader.

1001. FM - Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
Old 1st October 2010, 00:34   #3
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
flashgot?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 1st October 2010, 14:24   #4
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

fuck tools. just save the .flv file

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 1st October 2010, 14:56   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

http://keepvid.com
http://www.savetube.com

Gives links to all the available formats/qualities for the video.
Forget about the FLV's, download the high quality MP4 :-)
Old 1st October 2010, 17:40   #6
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

.flv is a lossy format, meaning if you manage to convert it to MPG, WMV, AVI... not only you get a bigger filesize for nothing, the quality on most cases worsens even on a high bitrate, try to avoid converting flv to anything, instead, burn it directly to a supporting dvd player\portable player, portable is recommended because you can connect the device to a bigger screen and watch it there (haven't really tried it, so can't tell you the end quality though)
Old 6th October 2010, 23:14   #7
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
keepvid.com
Old 7th October 2010, 15:45   #8
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

this thread has been here for over a week and still no spambots? amazing!

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 7th October 2010, 17:57   #9
Rellik
Major Dude

It's funny, when you play the Youtube video in windows, it is cached somewhere (I forget) and the filesystem puts a lock on it so you can't open/copy it.

But in Linux, the video is cached in /tmp and you can freely open and copy it it at any point while the video page is open.
Old 8th October 2010, 15:07   #10
kingo'mountain
in need of banned aid

copyright patent for windows systems? have you tried copying it when the browser is closed?
Old 8th October 2010, 17:13   #11
Rellik
Major Dude

The file is deleted the second you close the Youtube tab. The only way around it is to use a file unlocker.
Old 9th October 2010, 12:37   #12
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Then don't close the tab.

1) Open Youtube and your desired video.
2) Wait until the entire video is downloaded.
Open your browser's cache and search for the largest file. I think in most browsers that's a .flv file, in Opera it's a .tmp file.
3) Copy it to another folder and rename it to filename.flv

Done.

Old 9th October 2010, 20:29   #13
daverobson

youtubedownloader works well for me, and it's easy to use too.
Old 9th October 2010, 20:57   #14
Rellik
Major Dude

WotL: It's better to sort by modified date, and the files usually start with fla*

In Firefox & Chrome (win7), the videos are cached in %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp, in IE8 the files are cached in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low. You can't do anything with the files without a file unlocking tool.

There might be a difference if XP is used though.
Old 10th October 2010, 10:38   #15
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

The issue is OS independent. I have both 7 and XP running and it happens with both. The point is that the browser is writing to that file and because of that prevents other programs to open it.
There are so many downloading tools available that aren't to be trusted - especially youtube downloaders. I prefer to do it manually, it's easy if you know how to.

If you'd unlock the file in the temp dir, your browser might give errors because it can't access it anymore.
It might not be a problem but it's not really necessary to force it; copying can't be restricted, and it's safer. That way the file doesn't get deleted after you close the tab and it's accessible by other programs.

Unlocker is a great tool and one of the programs I install on a new machine by default, but unlocking files that are in use always has a risk.

Old 10th October 2010, 11:50   #16
rockouthippie
Banned

I was curious, so I got Youtube downloader from CNET. It gives you an MP4. I put that into Nero and it makes a DVD fine. The Youtube downloader does by default install the dread Yahoo toolbar by default, so you should uncheck it.

http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Dow...-10647340.html

You need an H264 codec too.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

and probably:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/

for the aac codec.
Old 10th October 2010, 13:56   #17
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Is a Youtube video really good enough to warrant putting on a DVD?

OH, it must be a dancing baby or bananaphone clip!
Old 12th October 2010, 06:43   #18
jimmy32

try youtubedownloadloader for download the youtube videos
Old 2nd November 2010, 05:09   #19
polyphasic

You can save the flv files from the temporary file folders and you can also use the addons if you are using Mozilla firefox. Just add an add-on named 1clickyoutube downloader to download the videos easily.
Old 2nd November 2010, 07:36   #20
johanwhite

You can download the Youtube video by copying the path of that video from the URL and paste it to the Download page of the savevideodownload.com. Then you should change the extension of that file to .flv when save it to your computer. You need to use the FLV player to play that video and you can convert it to other format by using FLV converter.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:32   #21
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
WotL: It's better to sort by modified date, and the files usually start with fla*

In Firefox & Chrome (win7), the videos are cached in %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp, in IE8 the files are cached in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low. You can't do anything with the files without a file unlocking tool.

There might be a difference if XP is used though.
This works with facebook as well

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Old 12th November 2010, 07:45   #22
fanhost

It's true. I also have a youtube downloader..
Old 12th November 2010, 09:40   #23
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I was curious, so I got Youtube downloader from CNET. It gives you an MP4. I put that into Nero and it makes a DVD fine. The Youtube downloader does by default install the dread Yahoo toolbar by default, so you should uncheck it.

http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Dow...-10647340.html

You need an H264 codec too.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

and probably:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/

for the aac codec.
I have mplayerclassic for video on my new desktop plays videos very well, but I downloaded it on my friends old xp machine and it won't play Mpeg4. If i get say divx codec, or any other mpger codec where does it go. Into player folder or just programs. Sorry for the ignorance. Thanks
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:57   #24
kavin12

i think to download videos from you tube,you tube down loader is the perfect resource.
Old 13th December 2010, 10:09   #25
fixpod

if you have IDM(internet download manager ) installed on your computer then IDM automatically shows the download video icon on the youtube video !
Old 31st December 2010, 21:11   #26
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You for the links, DJ EGG, I will try it with keep-tube.
Yes, MP4-files would be better for me than the FLV-files, which I have downloaded with the Real Player (and much better than the FLV-files, which I have downloaded with the "Webclip to mp3 Konverter" to get the MP3-files). I think, I would have a better video-quality and I could give tags to MP4-files.
I control in my Winamp also my own created WMV-Videos (I use WAV-files for my music-videos) before uploading to YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sternenmaschinebine
The other YouTube-user have such nice music-videos, now I want the better quality... :-)
Have a Happy New Year 2011!!!
Old 31st December 2010, 21:17   #27
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
maybe someone should just flush this thread so it stops tempting spammers already?

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:10   #28
knocksense

Coincidentally, I have just made a post on this..
http://www.knocksomesense.com/2011/0...outube-videos/

My Tech Blog:-
Knock Some Sense
Old 12th January 2011, 08:19   #29
dogxa

Aneesoft Free YouTube downloader works well.
Old 13th January 2011, 19:33   #30
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-DAMN-Much View Post
[size=fucking huge]maybe someone should just flush this thread so it stops tempting spammers already?[/size]

Old 13th January 2011, 20:22   #31
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
oh so in other words?

FLUSH THIS TOILET

right?

[/edit] i think anything over SIZE="7" is displayed as 7, for future reference. [/edit]

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 14th January 2011, 20:29   #32
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Okay,
I have made some tests to see, how different file-types work. I have converted some files. I can not give tags to "MPEG2" or "HD MPEG4"...
I have only audio of "HD MPEG4" and I have very distorted sounds of "MPEG2", but "HD WMV" works very fine (I have tagged them already in the folder and I have put pictures with the album-names already into the folder before playing). I can also play FLV (but not give tags to these files). My own created WMV-files are in 4:3 and 16:9. Why I can not play AVI, that is not important for me (I have only less short files in AVI, good enough for imports into the Windows Movie Maker etc.)...
I will make new and other tests very soon, "Aneesoft" seems to be also an option...
I have lost so much YouTube-favourites in my YouTube-collection of my channel in the last months, but "Only-One-Picture-Videos" are not so interesting for me. In this case I play my MP3-files and I watch Milkdrop in Full HD Widescreen (with very good headphones at full volume)...
Old 14th January 2011, 22:48   #33
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdykats View Post
I have mplayerclassic for video on my new desktop plays videos very well, but I downloaded it on my friends old xp machine and it won't play Mpeg4. If i get say divx codec, or any other mpger codec where does it go. Into player folder or just programs. Sorry for the ignorance. Thanks
Divx or ffdshow.

Your best bet is to use videolan. The video for windows codec system is a bit twitchy. It's best not to load codecs if you can possibly avoid it. Videolan has it's own internal codecs and doesn't get in the system registry. It plays anything. It even works on really old PC's, linux and macs.

I would be really leery of codec packs in general. I've known them to contain trojans and malware. Avoid them. If you must, use ffdshow and only turn on the codecs you are going to be using. If you aren't making videos, there is no reason that you shouldn't just use videolan and save yourself a possible hassle.

http://videolan.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/

Only take these from the official sites.

Quote:
I have only audio of "HD MPEG4"
Try playing it with videolan. If your computer is old (like 2006) , it isn't gonna like HD. I have a DVR computer which is an Athlon 3800X2 with 2 gigs of ram. 7600GS video card. It will play MPEG2 HD transport streams (ATSC HDTV) and Bluray. Divx and H264 are pretty dicey at HD resolution. H264 is worse. These high compression codecs are a lot more compute expensive than MPEG2.

For the most part, I see people encoding 1080i or 720p and not accounting for enough bitrate. This means what would be HD is so compressed it looks ugly. 720p streaming is probably gonna take 3mbps and no matter what your local ISP says your bandwidth is, it's not gonna get through the backbones at that speed.... at least not reliably.

I think that's why Crackle gave up on 720p.
Old 15th January 2011, 01:23   #34
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Just install CCCP and use Media Player Classic (which comes with CCCP).

Old 15th January 2011, 12:28   #35
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You for the idea with videolan.
But four media player? I have already three: Windows Media Player, Real Player and Winamp. Okay, I will think about videolan, maybe I could download it. But I don't want to have a fifth media player, I don't want to install iTunes and I never want to install foobar2000, because I hate the icon and I don't like the layout of this player...
I love to play my videos in my Winamp (and to create my own music-videos with my Winamp), and I want to give tags and ratings to my audio- and video-files, that is very important for me. I do this already outside of my Winamp. I have decided to use WMV, MP3 and WMA (also because I scrobble my audio-tracks to my Last.fm-profile during the playing in my Winamp). I want to keep also my (with the Real Player) downloaded FLV-files. And I use as audio for my own creations at first WAV (during composing and making my music-videos), before I convert them also to MP3 (into further sub-folders, where I also place already JPEG-pictures with the right album-names and the name "cover")...
I am very sure, that the very good music-videos of my friends in YouTube will not be removed very soon. My lost favourites were "Only-One-Picture-Videos", and I never want to create an "Only-One-Picture-Video". And the live-videos of my most faourited artist have mostly already a bad quality in YouTube, 720p will not help anymore in this case...
As an artist I finally want to compose my next track (in WAV) and I want to create my next " -video "...
PS, if somebody does not know, what a " -video " is, then You can take a look to my playlists and my newer favourites in my YouTube-Channel...
Old 15th January 2011, 13:24   #36
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine Klare View Post
Thank You for the idea with videolan.
But four media player? I have already three: Windows Media Player, Real Player and Winamp. Okay, I will think about videolan, maybe I could download it. But I don't want to have a fifth media player, I don't want to install iTunes and I never want to install foobar2000, because I hate the icon and I don't like the layout of this player...
I love to play my videos in my Winamp (and to create my own music-videos with my Winamp), and I want to give tags and ratings to my audio- and video-files, that is very important for me. I do this already outside of my Winamp. I have decided to use WMV, MP3 and WMA (also because I scrobble my audio-tracks to my Last.fm-profile during the playing in my Winamp). I want to keep also my (with the Real Player) downloaded FLV-files. And I use as audio for my own creations at first WAV (during composing and making my music-videos), before I convert them also to MP3 (into further sub-folders, where I also place already JPEG-pictures with the right album-names and the name "cover")...
I am very sure, that the very good music-videos of my friends in YouTube will not be removed very soon. My lost favourites were "Only-One-Picture-Videos", and I never want to create an "Only-One-Picture-Video". And the live-videos of my most faourited artist have mostly already a bad quality in YouTube, 720p will not help anymore in this case...
As an artist I finally want to compose my next track (in WAV) and I want to create my next " -video "...
PS, if somebody does not know, what a " -video " is, then You can take a look to my playlists and my newer favourites in my YouTube-Channel...

Old 15th January 2011, 14:25   #37
QOAL
[STILL a retard!]

Eww, Real player!
Seriously I would ditch that tripe in a heart beat.
VLC or mplayer (with a frontend such as smplayer) will wipe the floor with anything else.

Anyway, if you'd rather go down the lines of 'jack of all trades' then why not give this winamp plugin a try: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=319968
Basically if you set it up fully (Effort required) then you'll be able to make use of ffmpeg, which can handle pretty much anything thrown at it.

count!last.fmdastylishplanner
Old 15th January 2011, 15:09   #38
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I forgot to say, that my computer is not "old"...
My computer is from 2009, it has Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, the processor is Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q 8300 @ 2,50 GHz, it has 1000 GB as capacity, a Memory (RAM) with 4 GB and a BD-ROM-Drive (and I have a Full HD monitor)...
And I really was so moving?...
Old 15th January 2011, 16:46   #39
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

And I have Realtek High Definition Audio and NVIDIA GeForce GT 230 (I hope, that I have all the details complete now). I have looked into the "Control Panel"...
Wow, I have discovered further features: Why not changing the settings in "Hardware and Sound", in "AutoPlay", for "Audio CD" and "DVD Movie"?...
And it would "rock" for me...
Old 22nd March 2014, 17:39   #40
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions