Old 16th February 2004, 18:50   #1
cherold

wma files don't use ID3 artist/title info

For some reason, while my MP3 songs are all displayed in the library and playlist with the ID3 tags attached to the song, if they exist, my WMA songs all pull the info out of the song name, as though there is no ID3 info. And if I look at song info through winamp it doesn't give me the option to add or edit ID3 info. Is there some way to make WinAmp read ID3 info for WMA format songs?
cherold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2004, 19:04   #2
Teqnilogik

WMA does not use ID3 tags. It uses its own tagging system that Winamp does not support editing of currently. However, you can open the WMA file in Windows Media Player and right-click on the file in the playlist and click Advanced Tag Editor and this will allow you to edit the tags. Also tagging programs such as Mp3tag (www.mp3tag.de) will allow you to edit the tags of WMA files.
Teqnilogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2004, 19:17   #3
cherold

There are lots of ways to edit the info, but it doesn't do any good if WinAmp won't read the edited info (I tried both of your suggestions but neither made the info readable by WinAmp. It's too bad, I've been feeling Winamp is close to edging out MusicMatch for my favorite browser but this one is a real problem.
Old 16th February 2004, 19:29   #4
Sawg

Use CDex or EAC to rip your CDs into the MP3 format.

Limitations by Microsoft highly limit developers with what and how much they can do. If you don't want to be tied to one player you should really switch to MP3.
Old 16th February 2004, 19:41   #5
cherold

Well, since both MusicMatch and RealOne read the WMA info with no problems (as well, of course, as Microsoft's player), I don't think it's really a matter of being tied to one player. It's more a matter of not being able to use some media players, one of which is Winamp. My question is why Winamp doesn't have support for WMA title info even though they have support for the actual files. Clearly the technology is available to support WMA info, since other players have it, I don't know if it's an issue of licensing fees or what, but I think I'd choose being limited in what players I can use over being limited in what formats I can use.
Old 16th February 2004, 19:58   #6
Teqnilogik

In general I would just avoid WMA all together. There is really no advantages to using the format. It is no better than any other format out there. MP3 is better than WMA at high bit rates, MP4/AAC and Ogg Vorbis is better than WMA at high and low bit rates, and MusePack is better at high bit rates. Use one of those formats mentioned above and avoid WMA.
Old 16th February 2004, 20:11   #7
Qaxar
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Qaxar Send a message via AIM to Qaxar
If you've read any of my posts you will know that I am an avid Winamp user/advocate. However, I wonder about the wma issue also. I've stayed away from anything but mp3 - which has been terrific for me, but, is Microsoft about to do it again? By that I mean...

Online, track by track music buying is becoming more and more popular.
It seems the major, legitimate suppliers of this service are all going the wma route.
So, is Microsoft going to eventually force wma upon the PC music world?
Qaxar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2004, 20:34   #8
Teqnilogik

Microsoft will not force WMA on the PC music world because there are far too many smart people on these boards and over at Hydrogen Audio to advise new users about which codecs to use. Just because a couple online music stores use it doesn't mean much. Apple's iTunes is using AAC and I think it is the most used music store at present.

Currently users have a lot of options when it comes to choosing a format to encode their music to. You could go lossy or lossless with most users going lossy. Lossy encoders to choose from range from MP3, Ogg Vorbis, MP4/AAC, and MusePack. So people have the right to choose. WMA is by no means superior to either of those formats and until it is I don't see any reason in using it unless you want to stream.

In my opinion, MP3 is still the codec of choice for quality, compatibility, and support. Also I think MP4/AAC will be the successor to MP3 in the future. WMA might come in at third most used codec but only because of the size of Microsoft's wallet and not because of the quality of the codec.
Old 17th February 2004, 20:05   #9
Agra

This biased belief against WMA is not good folks. The fact of the matter is that WMA, especially WMA9 Lossless, has many benefits and IS better than some competing formats in some ways.

For example, I want a lossless compression solution because I want my digital music to be a backup for my CD's which are stored away in a closet. WMA9 Lossless is great for that. MP3 is NOT. I cannot recreate a perfect WAV file from an MP3. Sure I could use APE or FLAC but neither have decent support in the major players whereas WMA DOES.

And to believe that people here and at Hydrogen Audio will have an impact on telling consumers which formats are best is just shortsighted. 90% of music consumers are not here and have no interest in being here.

Microsoft is not stupid. They know how to drive and build support for their formats. The DOC format is a classic example of that.

So if you're going to have an opinion on this at least have one that sees all the formats from the view of the bigger market out there. In that world WMA has a lot going for it.

I would gladly move to another format that met all my criteria but only WMA9 Lossless does.
Agra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2004, 20:23   #10
Sawg

WMA is poo.
FLAC or Monkey's Audio

But if you insist....
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....did=155680#WMA
Old 18th February 2004, 05:55   #11
Agra

Sawg,

Not sure what that link is supposed to tell us as it refers to WinAMP not working with WMA9 Lossless which is works just fine with short of not displaying ID3 tag info.

Applying what they tell you at your link doesn't change much of anything. It just changes the way the limited information that they give you is displayed.

I'd be interested in considering FLAC (APE has NO support in many apps including, most importantly for me, XBOX Media Center) but how do you get it working with WinAMP 5? Using a WinAMP 2 plug-in doesn't seem very positive. At least WMA9 has native support so for a format that you feel is "poo", it seems to be ahead of those you recommend.
Agra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2004, 23:05   #12
datdude123

I am listening to FLAC files right now on winamp 5. The compression is not as great as most say it is about %50 but I get only get about 60 - 65. The cpu load is minimal and seek times are instantaneous. The tagging system works perfectly in winamp with their plugin which you can download from here:
http://cyberial.com/flacinstaller.asp.

Use EAC to rip your cd's, tag, and encode to FLAC all in one step.
datdude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2004, 19:37   #13
devinpanchal

hi.

winamp version 2. reads all tags. cos,. when it plays wma files. it displays, the names of the song and atrist, which u specify, by right cliking on the file. and editing it in advanced.

But winamp 5 doesnt. how do i get it to do this? i thought there my be somting in the prefrences, that i have missed?

please e mail me. if any1 knows how. d.panchal@ntlworld.com

thanx

devin
devinpanchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support