Old 29th August 2010, 01:12   #2761
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
^ let me know how they work out - I might be in the market, but not sure yet.

Honestly, I have bought nothing interesting lately, except:

Mezzetta Jalapeno Garlic Queen Olives with minced pimento stuffing.

Addictive as heroin.

Imagine stuffed spanish olives, but much bigger (still with pimento), but canned (in a jar) with jalapeno slices and garlic cloves... Heaven in a jar.

I skewered a jalapeno slice, a clove of garlic, and one of those queen spanish olives with a cocktail sword and garnished a Sapphire dry martini with it. Almost orgasmic to eat when the drink is finished.

Sometimes I just grab the jar and a fork and eat a little bit of that stuff like a snack. Strange, but good. The heat of the jalapeno and the ass-kick of the garlic is very tame after being canned in a jar, and only the good tastes come out when you eat them.

Only problem is, expect to pay $6-$8 per "DR. WT. 10 OZ." jar, which looks like it might hold about 14 oz. liquid if it were filled only with liquid. Kind of expensive, but worth it every once in a while.

Don't forget to live before you die.
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:49   #2762
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
At Ted's request, here is some of the stuff I bought while moving:

Intel i7, 6GB DDR3, Blu-Ray, 17.3 screen, 2x 500GB hard disks, ATI 5650, HDMI out. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's not 1080 for Blu-Ray watching. And, as is common to HPs, the track pad kind of sucks.

LG 32", 1080p. I almost bought something bigger, but it turns out that this is just the right size for our living room (I live in a townhouse, not a mansion).

Self Explanatory

Did not get the tall chest. We have two huge closets in the bedroom. Picked up the bed, two nightstands, dresser, mirror and a mattress. I didn't realize how much a mattress costs. It was almost as expensive as the bedroom furniture.

The store doesn't appear to have pictures of the living room or dining room furniture up. I'll snap some later.

Got two of these. We filled them up immediately. Now we have books in piles on the floor because we ran out of room.

My new toy. I love being able to check my email from anywhere, and the integration with exchange is nice. I hate using Outlook when I'm in the office.

Those are the bigger things. There were some smaller pieces of furniture that aren't particularly noteworthy (things like CD towers, laptop stand, etc.) I already had a lot of things as well.

The one thing I do need to get more of is wall decorations. The only thing I have handing up is my picture of grand central station.

We had to buy lots of lamps, lots of kitchen stuff, food, etc. It's been quite an adventure so far.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 2nd October 2010, 17:51   #2763
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

That's quite a collection of goodies!

The red label on your computer - that's the dr. dre beats logo? Is that the brand for your sound electronics in the computer or built in speakers? I was a bit upset when I picked up an ASUS blu-ray laptop without 1080p (mine's 1440x900). Of course with HDMI, you can just use your TV. At work I use a HP EliteBook (made for docking station) which has it's fingerprint scanner off to the right, and it looks like yours is there too Asus puts it between left and right click buttons. I like that. My wrist keeps bumping the HP one and it makes things happen that interrupt my work. I eventually put a little piece of tape over it, but I know I could just disable it instead.

It has a very clean look, much like the styling of a macbook pro, and the RAM/HDD specs are quite amazing. That's gotta be tough on batteries - how's the battery life? Can it play a blu-ray full length on battery alone (like on a plane)? If so you're in really good shape. Which OS? 7 Home Premium or Ultimate x64 I'm guessing? I'm hoping it's something that shuts of the secondary HDD when you're not using it. My work HP touchpad isn't so hot either. I wish windows computers would pick up the multitouch pad from Macs, but still with windows left and right click buttons (macs you just press the pad down into a click, but it's a bad feel (poorly executed)). You'll notice HP has really good web cams in their laptops. A lot of them auto-aim and auto-zoom as you walk around the room despite their looking immobile. Perhaps done digitally? Good for a lot of purposes. I also notice that the numpad includes the 4th row of buttons with the enter, plus, and minus to the right where they belong and not underneath like they are on my ASUS. Not having enter to the right really kills the point of having a number pad at all in my opinion. I'm assuming you have full A/B/G/N wireless capability. Any eSATA for fast peripherals? Card reader reads your camera's type of card? Hotkey combination that doesn't bork when you're changing monitor/projector setups? Any interference sounds when connecting to a very high quality sound system (sometimes a problem with some laptops)? SPDIF or digital surround audio? Do you have a good strong bag that's big enough for it? All necessary wiring for all the inevitable hookups that are sure to come?

Sorry, I'm really into checking out high-end laptops; from about early August through late may, I can't be more than about 4 feet away from one at any given time.

As far as TV size... I generally look at distance from the viewer when considering the best size. Trying to impress with big screens only tires your eyes if you have to sit too close. I still use a 27" 3:4 ratio CRT screen bought in 1993 and/or a 27" 16:10 ratio computer monitor most of the time. If I want to watch a big movie while entertaining, I just use a projector, but really the old-school TV works fine for me. I assume you have all necessary ins for all your components (Wii, laptop, cable/sat box, still have a vcr, dvd player, or other video game consoles?) Picture in picture so you can keep up with the Mets when needing to watch something else?

Consider a good sound system if you're interested in keeping the music sounding right. Many people are into the latest and greatest in screens but they forget about true high quality sound. We need people fighting for good sound and not just the B.S. made for portables and low-end earbuds.

The Wii looks like a lot of fun, and I'm very glad you got one in black. The white just disturbs me for some reason the same way my work macbook does. /briefly convulses and twitches...

Ok... better now. What store did you go with when buying the furniture? Did they hide any particle board in there, or is it truly legit? It looks beautiful, modern, and classy. New mattresses, or old ones right size and still good? I'm a little OCD on the topic of mattresses and bedding because of how much of one's life is spent on them sleeping and uh... sleeping with... New bedding or anything like that?

Droid. Win. It would take a whole new wall of text to say why it makes a very useful and handy portable and why surpasses the more hype/less practicality/functionality competitor.

Keep posting - it's quite interesting. I won't take it as bragging or anything like that.

Old 3rd October 2010, 13:59   #2764
fc*uk

Those Shure SRH750DJ are a great pair of cans. They seem to perform better all around than the more popular Pioneer HDJ's, though I can't speak to the HDJ-2000's. My only complaint is these Shures are a hell of a lot hotter to wear for extended periods of time than the Pioneer.

Extended periods of time? Few hours you will be fine; my six hour bender last night was making me a little hot...

... off to bed.
Old 3rd October 2010, 15:18   #2765
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

They look pretty durable. I like that they can fold small and I like the carrying pouch/extra pads.

Regarding the connection between the wire and headset itself - is that just plug-in/break-away, or is there some kind of screw-in/clip? There have been a few times where I have ruined headphone wires due to stress there, and wish I had some kind of break-away solution.

Old 5th October 2010, 01:39   #2766
fc*uk

The connection between the wire and the headset is actually a mix of both worlds. The first world is almost like a really damn tight 3.5 mm mini jack; the other is that, once plugged into the headset, you can turn that mini jack a quarter turn to lock it in place. If you don't lock it and yanked it hard enough, the plug-in would come out; if you lock it ... well ...
Old 5th October 2010, 04:03   #2767
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Does that feature make it difficult (or impossible) for non-branded wires to fit?

If I had a pair of those, I would not turn it to lock. I figure anything strong enough to pull the wire out without the clip will probably be a hard enough accident to ruin the wire if locked.

Apple has a great thing going on with their power cords that I like in that regard. If you have a pet or kid running by your table and suddenly your power cord gets hit, there's no yank - the cord just separates from the computer without the computer falling to the floor or damage to the wire because of the magnetic break-away connection.

Perhaps on headphones, it would be better to be a bit stronger than the MacBook power cord, but I'd still like that break-away feature. I can think of a few places where that would be a real plus.

Old 5th October 2010, 16:05   #2768
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

@k_rock...Where's the kitty bed? And the "Jungle Gym"? And my comfy chair.
p.s. Nice collection of Swag!
Old 14th October 2010, 01:46   #2769
psyfive
Forum King

My most recent purchase was the night before last. I got a 2005 Mini Cooper S
Old 14th October 2010, 02:48   #2770
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Congrats, What does it replace, and what are the specs?

Old 20th October 2010, 18:16   #2771
beargy
Banned

the last thing I bought was a car and a ticket to the Notre Dame/Western Michigan football game ... both very good investments!
Old 20th October 2010, 18:43   #2772
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyfive View Post

My most recent purchase was the night before last. I got a 2005 Mini Cooper S
That purple Mini is more pimp than fiddy cent.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Old 26th October 2010, 06:29   #2773
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Traded my Mazda 3 on a new Focus XR5 Turbo (Focus ST outside AU/NZ)

Old 26th October 2010, 13:57   #2774
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Nice Rides, Atmo and psyfive! Both lookin' good!
Old 30th October 2010, 19:54   #2775
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I did some research on that Focus. It looks like you have some Volvo stuff hiding under the hood there. Nice car!

Old 30th October 2010, 20:32   #2776
fc*uk

Ted, that connection on those headphones makes it quite impossible for nonbranded wires to fit.

After my trip out west, which managed to set me back 20 bottles of wine, I also picked up an iPad, which work has already agreed to reimburse me for. Apparently there are still places in the US that have no cell coverage, or a half bar of EDGE; napa is one of those places.
Old 30th October 2010, 21:15   #2777
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

No fair. But it looks like the wire is good for most purposes anyway.

20 bottles of wine...(!)

You lost 20 going, or you spent money on gaining 20?

Old 30th October 2010, 21:57   #2778
fc*uk

I spent money gaining 20. I've actually got two wine cellars; a 55 bottle and a 18 bottle. I have room for six of the twenty bottles I bought. I'm in a wee bit of trouble when it comes to storing them.

Ironically, I went out to napa with my father-in-law who is now in the same boat I am in terms of storing the wine we bought. We are considering splitting the cost of another cellar as we both live about an hour apart.

I also. Guess you could say I am a bit of a wine collector/snob.
Old 4th November 2010, 18:22   #2779
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
Haven't posted in a while, so here are a few things I've purchased over the last several months (now in a nifty new post format!):

code:
The Devil You Know || Jack: Secret Vengeance || Biomega, Vol 2 || On Target
a novel by Mike Carey || by F. Paul Wilson || by Tsutomu Nihei || Gray Man number 2
(interesting story about || The 3rd Young Jack novel || His artwork is awesome. || by Mark Greaney
this one in a bit) || || Look up his Wolverine. ||

===========================================================================================================
Tripwire || Runing Blind || Echo Burning || Without Fail
Jack Reacher number 3 || Jack Reacher number 4 || Jack Reacher number 5 || Jack Reacher number 6
by Lee Child || by Lee Child || by Lee Child || by Lee Child
|| || ||

===========================================================================================================
Persuader ||The Enemy ||One Shot ||The Hard Way
Jack Reacher number 7 ||Jack Reacher number 8 ||Jack Reacher number 9 || Jack Reacher number 10
by Lee Child ||by Lee Child ||by Lee Child || by Lee Child
|| || ||

Bad Luck and Trouble ||Nothing to Lose ||Gone Tomorrow || Brains: A Zombie Memoir
Jack Reacher number 11 ||Jack Reacher number 12 ||Jack Reacher number 13 || by Robin Becker
by Lee Child ||by Lee Child ||by Lee Child ||
|| || ||

Fatal Error || The Service of the Sword || More Than Honor || Changer of Worlds
Repairman Jack number 14 || Collection of Honor Har- || see previous description || see pervious description
by F. Paul Wilson || rington short stories by || ||
His penultimate RJ novel. || various authors. || ||

Worlds of Honor || Evolutions: Essential || Halo: The Fall of Reach || Halo: Cryptum
see pervious description || Tales of the Halo || 2010 Re-print || 1st Forerunner series
|| Universe || by Eric Nylund || by Greg Bear
|| by Tobias Buckell, et al || ||

Furies of Calderon || Academ's Fury || Princeps' Fury || First Lord's Fury
Codex Alera book 1 || Codex Alera book 2 || Codex Alera book 5 || Codex Alera book 6
by Jim Butcher || by Jim Butcher || by Jim Butcher || by Jim Butcher
|| || ||

Contact || Ender in Exile || The Call of Earth || The Ships of Earth
the novel || by Orson Scott Card || Homecoming Saga book 2 || Homecoming Saga book 3
by Carl Sagan || will be part of my 2011 || by Orson Scott Card || by Orson Scott Card
(First edition) || reading list || 2011 reading list || 2011 reading list

Earthfall || Battle Angel Alita || Sunshine & The Fountain || Avatar: The Last Airbender
Homecoming Saga book 4 || Last Order Volume 13 || Blu-Ray || Complete Book 3 Collection
by Orson Scott Card || by Yukito Kishiro || ||
2011 reading list || || ||

Stupid image limit...

And on ebay, I won the following books (in no particular order, all by Orson Scott Card) for a grand total of $33.28, averaging a buck thirty-three per novel (can't beat that in a used book store...). All of these will be on my 2011 reading list:

Alvin Journeyman
Children of the Mind
Earthborn
Empire
Enchantment
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
Lost Boys
Lovelock
Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christoper Columbus
Prentice Alvin
Rachel & Leah
Rebekah
Red Prophet
Sarah
Seventh Son
Shadow of the Giant
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Speaker for the Dead
The Crystal City
The Memory of Earth
Treasure Box
Wyrms
Xenocide

======

And the interesting story: I posted a decent chunk of my current reading list on /lit/ to get some suggestions, and one of the suggestions was Mike Carey's Felix Castor series. So, I went to amazon, read the description of book 1, thought it was good, and bought it last Thursday. Monday night at work, I call a friend of mine to chat a bit, and I mention the new book I got, and suggested him to look it up (which he does promptly, since he's never away from his iPhone or iPad). He's reading the description and it dawns on him that it sounds familiar. So he checks iBooks, and it was listed in the bargain bin. He had saw it Friday night and bought it.

What are the odds of that?

Old 4th November 2010, 21:25   #2780
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

holy amazing post!

How long did it take to put that together? Better yet, how many estimated words have you read this year? That would be an interesting figure. Renee (my wife) reads like you do - but her style of books is completely different. If I read like that my choice of books would probably be closer to yours.

You must have quite a library, or you a sell-on-amazon or book-trader-store type? If you do the collecting or library thing, you should post a pic of the stacks!

Old 4th November 2010, 22:48   #2781
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
holy amazing post!

How long did it take to put that together? Better yet, how many estimated words have you read this year? That would be an interesting figure. Renee (my wife) reads like you do - but her style of books is completely different. If I read like that my choice of books would probably be closer to yours.

You must have quite a library, or you a sell-on-amazon or book-trader-store type? If you do the collecting or library thing, you should post a pic of the stacks!
No idea how many words, but I'm on book 102. Most of the books I've read were borrowed from a friend (who will be turning his old guest bed room into an actual library), and I don't have a book shelf (yet), but I have probably 50 to 60 books.

As for putting the post together, not too terribly long. Notepad helped quite a bit. The annoying part was hitting the image limit and having to experiment with the spacing to get the last bit to work right. The other images are separated by 20 spaces.

Old 4th November 2010, 23:47   #2782
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Nice work on the post. Otherwise, I'm glad that you don't need to display books like they're trophies in a case. A lot of readers do that, despite the fact that the better motivation for reading is simply to enjoy and benefit from the literature itself.

Sometime, just for curiosity sake, find out how many average words per page there is in a common paperback, and how many pages there are in a common novel (maybe take the average of 10 of your normal length books). Multiply, then multiply that answer with the number of books you've read this year. For some reason (not for "keeping score" in a bragging way or anything, but just curiosity's sake), I'd like to know what type of number comes from 102 books' worth of words.

Old 5th November 2010, 00:34   #2783
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Nice work on the post. Otherwise, I'm glad that you don't need to display books like they're trophies in a case. A lot of readers do that, despite the fact that the better motivation for reading is simply to enjoy and benefit from the literature itself.

Sometime, just for curiosity sake, find out how many average words per page there is in a common paperback, and how many pages there are in a common novel (maybe take the average of 10 of your normal length books). Multiply, then multiply that answer with the number of books you've read this year. For some reason (not for "keeping score" in a bragging way or anything, but just curiosity's sake), I'd like to know what type of number comes from 102 books' worth of words.
Well, I can give you a count for the Wheel of Time novels. Since I'm on book 10, the total word count for the first 9 is 2,722,072.

I'm going to say that averages 302.5k per book. The average page count for the mass market paperback version of those nine is 841.

Picking 9 other average length novels, I get 544 pages. So I am going to assume that the Wheel of Time series is about 55% larger than most other stuff. That would give the average novel a 166,375 word count.

So my 92 completed books plus the 9 WoT books should contain about 18,028,572 words. The actual number is higher, I'm sure, because the Honor Harrington books are quite thick. The first one is the only normal length one. So toss in another 2,000,000 word count, and say the final total is 20 million words for my 101 books.

Or if you read your standard novels, say 16.8 million words for 101 of them.

Old 5th November 2010, 00:46   #2784
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

It's not hard for me to believe the 20 million word count. That's pretty impressive though. Think about it, how many other times does one experience 20,000,000 of something and still make meaning of it?

Old 5th November 2010, 12:06   #2785
ujay
Forum King

Korg AW 2

Absolutely brilliant.

So much more responsive than the pieces of junk I've tried before and pretty much immune to background noise. The clip could have been custom designed for my instrument.

UJ
Old 5th November 2010, 13:31   #2786
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Had to look it up to see what it was, but it's neat.

Old 5th November 2010, 13:43   #2787
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I went through a lot of junk tuners when I was a band director (although some may have been decent but were mishandled by students). Yours looks pretty innovative. I should recommend that to our current band director. It could be good for warm-up tuning exercises and training if a student has trouble finding a centered pitch.

Old 5th November 2010, 14:11   #2788
ujay
Forum King

Ted - Not clear what type of instruments you have in the band, but they do the same model that includes a second clip designed for brass instruments. It clips on the bell end.

[edit] To give an ides of size, the screen(the backlit part) is about 4 x 2 cms.

UJ
Old 5th November 2010, 15:51   #2789
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

yeah, brass, woodwinds, and percussion are standard school band instruments It looks like it could clip on pretty easily to most brass and woodwinds.

Old 6th November 2010, 05:19   #2790
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Back when I was in high school, we had an old-school multi-key mechanical strobe tuner that was probably out of the 60s or 70s. That thing was awesome.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:51   #2791
cooky560
Major Dude

Send a message via MSN to cooky560 Send a message via Yahoo to cooky560 Send a message via Skype™ to cooky560
Bill Payments

Cooky560 - Making Pointless Posts since 8/12/ 2002

WWW.
Victory Requires no explanation, defeat allows none.
All that Evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Old 6th November 2010, 20:01   #2792
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Proctor Silex Turkey Roaster
Kleenex
Scouring Pads
Ranch Dressing
Milk
Cereal
Fruit Juices
Ramen Noodles
Hair Gel
Body Wash
Shampoo
Conditioner
Chicken
Tuna
Frozen Breaded Fish
Tarter sauce
Soy chocolate milk
Crackers
Black olives
Pepper rings
Onion
Cheese blocks
Jalapenos
4 Colors of bell peppers
Carrots
Chili Seasoning
Chili Powder
Kidney Beans
Chili Beans
Pinto Beans
Tomato Sauce
Cayenne Pepper
Free Dyno’s Drink with NEA/ISEA card
Summer Sausage
Margarine
Bread
Buns
Oranges
Toilet bowl cleaner
12 CFL light bulbs
Salted (whole) Peanuts
Paper Towels

Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
Popcorn
Macaroni & Cheese
Other shit that we picked up because it looked good even though it wasn't on the list.

All came to about $175 - not too bad since a lot of the above was bought in large amounts.

Old 6th November 2010, 21:35   #2793
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Making chili?

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Old 6th November 2010, 22:29   #2794
beanboy89
(Major Dude)
isn't very custom

Color ink cartridge
Flowers for my mom's birthday
Old 6th November 2010, 22:34   #2795
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
Making chili?
Yeah. Haven't done it since this post, so I figured I'd do it again. I have some company coming for the week of Thanksgiving, so I figured I could prep-cook and freeze a few meals. Chili stores well in the freezer. I'll be using thicker sauce in place of the tomato juice this time. I like it a lot more heavy than most people do. This time I already have the ground meat from a local farmer.

Old 7th November 2010, 05:37   #2796
sgtfuzzbubble011

Last purchased:

5 quarts of 10w-30 engine oil.
Fram oil filter.
2-roll pack of blue shop towels.
Another plastic 7-quart oil pan.

Time to change the oil in my old S10 again. It's got over 284,000 miles on it now. I'm going to keep it running as long as I can.
Old 7th November 2010, 06:00   #2797
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
a box of what i believe to be japanese gum from the asian market.

always a bit of a gamble shopping there, usually turns out decent though

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Old 7th November 2010, 06:59   #2798
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

SARGE!!!!

Old 12th November 2010, 12:04   #2799
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Since the cover for the Halo Forerunner novel has been updated, I'll re-post that:

And I bought these in the last week:

Worth Dying For
Jack Reacher number 15
by Lee Child

And since I plan on getting the series:

Towers of Midnight
The Wheel of Time book 13
by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

Old 12th November 2010, 16:08   #2800
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

^ You always get very interesting things!
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions