Old 30th January 2007, 07:10   #1
mistermeow

Send a message via AIM to mistermeow
Doctor Who!

Any Dr. Who fans? I like the old and news shows. Even the old black and white shows are really good.

I just watched the last 2 shows from the current series 2, very good ending!
mistermeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 08:48   #2
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Love it, just completed my classic DVD collection a week or so back, the shelf is groaning under the weight of I think it's 40 dvd's or so.

Just watched The Invasion at the weekend, 8 episodes of B&W fun, great stuff.

Sadly , I can remember most of the old stories from teh first time around....:-/
Mr Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 00:10   #3
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Just watched The Invasion at the weekend, 8 episodes of B&W fun, great stuff.
Does your copy have the animated 1st and 4th episodes?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 06:23   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Yes, everybodies copy does, eps 1 & 4 are long since lost, it's the only way you'll probably ever see them now.

It's either that, or listen to the off air audio recordings.

The 90's video edition simply had gaps that were filled in with naration as to what you'd missed in the missing episodes.
Old 31st January 2007, 10:14   #5
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Send a message via AIM to SSJ4 Gogitta
I don't like the old stuff, but the new stuff (Eccleston & Tennant) is fun. I especially like the 10th Doctor (Tennant), and they sure as shit better find a way to bring back Rose (Billie Piper). Also, more Face of Boe please.

And of course I don't wait for the Sci-Fi channel here in the US to air the new stuff, I get them within a day or so after they air on BBC.

There is also a new spinoff of Doctor Who (aside from Torchwood, which is okay) that looks fun as well: The Sarah Jane Adventures.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 10:43   #6
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

SJA was cool, it's aimed more at the kids TV market, but it still has a lot of the values of the grown up TV show, but on a more kiddie level

Worth a download, just don't be expecting adult level drama.
Old 31st January 2007, 11:01   #7
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I've got to say, that animation was done very well. I downloaded The invasion, and it is very good to watch.

I have watched the 3rd, 4th and 5th doctor complete. The others only a few episodes. Had to do with availability here at the time.

Talking about animated, look here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/index.shtml

Idea for a new skin, Mr Jones?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 11:08   #8
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Yeah, I've talked to a lot of Dr Who fans at work and all seem to be of the same opinion that the animation really brought the story to life again.

At first it's a bit of a jolt to the system when you first see it in episode 1, but by the time the next one comes along you barely notice the change from live action to animation and back again.

Much better than watching some of the other incomplete stories that go Live action > Audio only > live action >audio only.

We can only hope they go back and do some of the other missing episodes, although I read that the cost of producing the animation is quite high compared to what they get back in dvd sales, so maybe they might only do stories where one or two episodes are missing like invasion, rather than hoping they'll do complete stories of 4 episodes and upwards.
Old 31st January 2007, 17:13   #9
Tetsujin

Russell Davies is certainly figuring out how to make money off the franchise, isn't he?
I think the new Doctors, Ecclestone & Tennant, have really been worth the wait - best since Tom Baker for me - but I can't really say the same for Torchwood, which singularly failed to make the grade until the last couple of episodes.
SJA seemed like a good start, and had some of the original Dr Who humour which was missing from Torchwood. I'll definitely be watching that one when the full series arrives.
Tetsujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 06:54   #10
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

Grew up on the stuff and can't get enough of it. I would love to see an origins of The Doctor made one day.

Torchwood just seems to be a push the limit to how far we can not show genitals on the telly to me. Though that Captain Jack seems to be quite the shit.

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2007, 13:33   #11
chathuranga

hei...
chathuranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2010, 13:08   #12
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

So hating the 11th Doctor right now. On the plus side, I can see more people watching to take in the new companion's antics...http://www.karen-gillan.net/

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2010, 15:29   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper made the 9th Doctor Who the only one that wasn't just incredibly gay. Briefly, I could tolerate Dr. Who.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 07:42   #14
razet93

Simply brilliant show.....

One of the most interesting and entertaining serial of the modern day, doctor who is the perfect example of what an complete family show should be.

razet93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 08:00   #15
gillcrist32
Banned

Doctor Who is one of my favorite tv shows i like to watch it regularly
gillcrist32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 10:37   #16
pearlshea
Banned

One of the most interesting and entertaining serial of the modern day, doctor who is the perfect example of what an complete family show.
pearlshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 10:34   #17
zarine
Banned

Doctor who is a worth watching tv show. But i missed a couple of its last episodes.
zarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 07:28   #18
robert32

Really its a great science fiction television series i really love this show.
robert32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 13:50   #19
Too-DAMN-Much
The Big Bad Boots
(Forum King)

Send a message via Yahoo to Too-DAMN-Much
i hope this year's christmas special is a good one, not that they usually aren't.
i heard it's supposed to air the 25th for americans too so that should be nice for a change.

i couldn't stand the doctor before tennet (tempted to say eccleston, but not sure) who didn't really do much thinking as much as he did wanna-be action heroing, he nearly ruined the series too.

also torchwood was very good, way above average for a mini-series spin off not even planned to last beyond a season, the 456 story was great, just as interesting as the main event.

i can't say i've done anything but ignore SJA entirely though, it seems.... childish to put it lightly and something i'm fairly sure i wouldn't enjoy.

also, captain jack harkness, he "looks to be quite a badass"? such an understatement, he is a fixed point in time, totally immortal, that's quite a bit more "badass" than most badasses, also it's awesome how him being killed (repeatedly sometimes) is almost comically played on occassion.

didn't think i was going to like the current actor playing the dr, he seemed.... stupid and neanderthalic from the couple of intro bits that he had in tennet's episodes, glad to see he's more of the mental ability type of dr though, a chimp with a laser pistol or some other weapon is so widely available and cliche, it goes against the very core of the series intriguing good things in my opinion to have another one of those.

hell... even the first dr in black and white episodes, frail old man, bit of ass but... circumstances.

I hate everyone, so you don't have to.
Too-DAMN-Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 02:19   #20
rockouthippie
Banned

Part of my thing is to keep people entertained on the internet. BBC America (and I think this is fully legal) has put some Dr. Who's on Youtube. Watching them on Youtube is about a nuisance because.... let's face it... they're a bunch of Brits.

I wrote a few posts that demystify. I could take a pass on some of the content of Dr. Who. His traditional early character always seemed to be a perve, but I found a couple I enjoyed. By the 70's his girls were over 18? This is even before I became old enough to be a Time Lord.

http://retrovision*****movies/dr-who

These seem to be available in the US and Canada, but not any country British people hate. Go figure. I am tongue in cheek about that because I cannot figure out what the region restrictions are.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 20:15   #21
OnLyPrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
part of my thing is to keep people entertained on the internet. Bbc america (and i think this is fully legal) has put some dr. Who's on youtube. Watching them on youtube is about a nuisance because.... Let's face it... They're a bunch of brits.

i wrote a few posts that demystify. I could take a pass on some of the content of dr. Who. His traditional early character always seemed to be a perve, but i found a couple i enjoyed. By the 70's his girls were over 18? This is even before i became old enough to be a time lord.

http://retrovision*****movies/dr-who

these seem to be available in the us and canada, but not any country british people hate. Go figure. I am tongue in cheek about that because i cannot figure out what the region restrictions are.
+1
OnLyPrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 14:25   #22
AVlution

Dr Who is a good old British television series, can't believe anyone outside of Britain actually watches it!
AVlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:14   #23
Barter

Late comer to the Dr. Who thing...it's still not a gotta catch every episode show for me.
Others in my family are rabid fans, so I had to get up to speed a little.

Overall, if not taken as a "big thing", the series can be quite fun.
Barter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Movies and Television